Notices

A Look Ahead: 2012 NHL Entry Draft

Closed Thread

Old
03-01-2012, 01:54 PM
ShutDownDefense
Wild Time!

vCash: 500
Another mock draft has us picking Reinhart at #9 which is what I want, but I'd be happy if we can move up into the Top 5 or 7 so we can get a better selection. Though I'd be damn happy with Reinhart.

Old
03-01-2012, 02:03 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by J22 View Post
without actually going back and running the numbers, i gotta believe that if they play the next 17 games like they played the last 17, the Wild will be a bottom 5 team
Over our last 19 games we were 6-10-3 for 15 points. Using Jarick's points projections (that is, assuming the Wild's play has no effect on the other bottom teams) that would give us 80 points to just tie for the last lottery pck (#5). Looking at the actual teams, and considering how the trade deadline went for them, there's no way we finish worse than Tampa. That's not going to happen. Buffalo's likely to free fall, but could pick up a few games (Hodgson is playing with the NHL club right?) Carolina's liable to fall off the map. It's really hard for us to finish with a top 5 pick.

As for the teams that would still finish worse than us in that scenario, Columbus has this locked up. They will not pass us. We're currently 9 points ahead of Edmonton. Even if we go 4-14-1 (9 points), Edmonton would need to go 9-9-1 or better to pass us. If we win tonight against Montreal, we'd be 9 points ahead of them with a game in hand. That's a slightly worse points scenario. The Islanders are only 4 points back, but they're also the Islanders...

Suffice it to say, if we win more than 5 of the remaining 19 games, we're extremely unlikely to get a lottery pick.

Old
03-01-2012, 02:05 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpRedDawn View Post
I know we should probably draft a d-man, but dammit I want a sniper!
We can't really go wrong by drafting any position, except goalie.

We could certainly use defensive prospects, but there's always free-agency. Offense in our prospect pool is definitely our strength, but no prospect is a sure-fire bet.

Old
03-01-2012, 02:08 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDownDefense View Post
Another mock draft has us picking Reinhart at #9 which is what I want, but I'd be happy if we can move up into the Top 5 or 7 so we can get a better selection. Though I'd be damn happy with Reinhart.
Which mock? I'd rather a different defenseman than Reinhart (although if we're picking 9-11 it's possible he's the "best" remaining) because of how much time I think he needs to develop. He's showing a little offensive flair, and any team that selects him will try develop that more. I'd say he's at least 2 CHL seasons plus 2-3 AHL seasons away from setting foot on NHL ice.

Old
03-01-2012, 02:53 PM
J22

vCash: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Over our last 19 games we were 6-10-3 for 15 points. Using Jarick's points projections (that is, assuming the Wild's play has no effect on the other bottom teams) that would give us 80 points to just tie for the last lottery pck (#5). Looking at the actual teams, and considering how the trade deadline went for them, there's no way we finish worse than Tampa. That's not going to happen. Buffalo's likely to free fall, but could pick up a few games (Hodgson is playing with the NHL club right?) Carolina's liable to fall off the map. It's really hard for us to finish with a top 5 pick.

As for the teams that would still finish worse than us in that scenario, Columbus has this locked up. They will not pass us. We're currently 9 points ahead of Edmonton. Even if we go 4-14-1 (9 points), Edmonton would need to go 9-9-1 or better to pass us. If we win tonight against Montreal, we'd be 9 points ahead of them with a game in hand. That's a slightly worse points scenario. The Islanders are only 4 points back, but they're also the Islanders...

Suffice it to say, if we win more than 5 of the remaining 19 games, we're extremely unlikely to get a lottery pick.
Ok, so i actually ran the numbers. I didnt bother with Columbus or Edmonton, but did go back and look at the schedules for all of the teams "around" the Wild.

Peg 68 points 17 gms 8-7-2 = 86pts
Cal 67points 19 gms 8-5-6 = 87pts
MN 65points 19 gms 6-10-3 = 80 pts
TOR 65 points 18gms 6-10-2 = 79 pts
TB 64 points 19 gms 12-5-2 = 90 pts
Buff 64 points 18 gms 9-6-3 85 pts
Ana 64 points 18 gms 10-5-3 = 87pts
Car 61 points 19 gms 10-4-5 = 86pts
NYI 61 points 19 gms 9-7-2 = 82 pts
Mon 58 points 18 gms 7-9-2 = 74 pts

So, like I said if things continue like they have, the Wild should be picking top 5
I know this doesnt really mean much, but i think its safe to assume the Wilds pick should end up better than #10

Old
03-01-2012, 03:33 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Ok, so i actually ran the numbers. I didnt bother with Columbus or Edmonton, but did go back and look at the schedules for all of the teams "around" the Wild.

Peg 68 points 17 gms 8-7-2 = 86pts
Cal 67points 19 gms 8-5-6 = 87pts
MN 65points 19 gms 6-10-3 = 80 pts
TOR 65 points 18gms 6-10-2 = 79 pts
TB 64 points 19 gms 12-5-2 = 90 pts
Buff 64 points 18 gms 9-6-3 85 pts
Ana 64 points 18 gms 10-5-3 = 87pts
Car 61 points 19 gms 10-4-5 = 86pts
NYI 61 points 19 gms 9-7-2 = 82 pts
Mon 58 points 18 gms 7-9-2 = 74 pts

So, like I said if things continue like they have, the Wild should be picking top 5
I know this doesnt really mean much, but i think its safe to assume the Wilds pick should end up better than #10
I don't think it's realistic for TB, BUF, CAR, and NYI to finish the year with substantially better streaks than their season as a whole. Anaheim's on a tear, so I won't argue with them going 10-5-3, but if TB, BUF, CAR, and NYI go 40-22-12 (1.24 PPG, equivalent to 102 point season) I might have to eat my shoe. They are a combined 20-13-7 (1.18 PPG) over their respective past 10 games, but that's biased by a 5-1-4 record by Carolina. The other three are 15-12-3 (1.10PPG). At this point, I'd be beyond surprised if more than 2 of those 4 did better than 0.500 win % for the rest of the season.

Old
03-01-2012, 03:54 PM
J22

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
I don't think it's realistic for TB, BUF, CAR, and NYI to finish the year with substantially better streaks than their season as a whole. Anaheim's on a tear, so I won't argue with them going 10-5-3, but if TB, BUF, CAR, and NYI go 40-22-12 (1.24 PPG, equivalent to 102 point season) I might have to eat my shoe. They are a combined 20-13-7 (1.18 PPG) over their respective past 10 games, but that's biased by a 5-1-4 record by Carolina. The other three are 15-12-3 (1.10PPG). At this point, I'd be beyond surprised if more than 2 of those 4 did better than 0.500 win % for the rest of the season.
I wont dispute any of your arguments other than to say, if you look at the point projections, alot of those teams can afford to give up 5-6 points and still project ahead of the Wild.

IMO if the Wild finnish with 80points, i cant see them picking any worse than 6th

Old
03-01-2012, 05:20 PM
mnwildgophers

I think we'll see the Wild pick from #6-#9. That range is the most likely of happening to be honest, I'm sure most of you could agree with that. If that's the case, we won't get an upper-tiered guy, but I bet we could see a trade down if there's mostly defenseman taken or if we just don't like any of the guys past the first few top tiered guys. I haven't read basically anything about this year's class as far as defenseman go, let's say we do end up grabbing the 7th overall, what defenseman would we be looking at?

Old
03-01-2012, 05:49 PM
J22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
I think we'll see the Wild pick from #6-#9. That range is the most likely of happening to be honest, I'm sure most of you could agree with that. If that's the case, we won't get an upper-tiered guy, but I bet we could see a trade down if there's mostly defenseman taken or if we just don't like any of the guys past the first few top tiered guys. I haven't read basically anything about this year's class as far as defenseman go, let's say we do end up grabbing the 7th overall, what defenseman would we be looking at?
From everything that i have read so far, it seems likely that the top 10 will be made up out of this group.
Yakupov, Grigirenko, Murray, Dumba, Forsberg, Galchenyuk, Trouba, Reilly, Reinhart, Faksa, Ceci, Gaunce, Collberg.

To answer your question about Dmen, I cant see Murray getting out of the top 5, and would be a little surprised if Dumba was available when the Wild pick. I could see any of the other guys making it to the 7-9 spots.

Old
03-01-2012, 06:09 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

Quote:
From everything that i have read so far, it seems likely that the top 10 will be made up out of this group.
Yakupov, Grigirenko, Murray, Dumba, Forsberg, Galchenyuk, Trouba, Reilly, Reinhart, Faksa, Ceci, Gaunce, Collberg.

To answer your question about Dmen, I cant see Murray getting out of the top 5, and would be a little surprised if Dumba was available when the Wild pick. I could see any of the other guys making it to the 7-9 spots.
I fully expect Murray and Dumba to go between 2-4. Trouba I'm not expecting to see drop farther than 6. I'd be extremely excited to snag any of those three. Who knows, though. We could get lucky and see the same thing that happened with Hamilton last year. Gotta hope for a lucky drop!

Old
03-01-2012, 06:29 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:

Not necessarily true. They might be in the top 10-12 of services/publications/mocks, but it doesn't mean it will shake out that way.

Remember a few years ago Gormley and Fowler were concensus Top 5 ranked and they were picked in the early teens.

Old
03-01-2012, 06:51 PM
mnwildgophers

Quote:

Appreciate it, I've heard all the names before, just haven't really read much about many of them. Well, I say we pick the best D-man available and continue to be patient with the prospects, potentially nabbing two top pairing defenseman in back-to-back years would be huge for this franchise going forward.

Old
03-01-2012, 07:05 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

If the Wild are picking a defenseman highly this coming draft, I hope whoever it is has high end offensive output potential. Otherwise I'd like to see them go forward as I do believe there will be a very good one who drops with the run on defense that seems likely. Though, I'm one of those people who doesn't believe in drafting defensemen all that high. Especially if they don't have a big ceiling.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
03-01-2012, 07:13 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstroundbust View Post
Not necessarily true. They might be in the top 10-12 of services/publications/mocks, but it doesn't mean it will shake out that way.

Remember a few years ago Gormley and Fowler were concensus Top 5 ranked and they were picked in the early teens.
That's splitting hairs a bit, but at this point it's fair to say that the top 10 is expected to be made out of them. There will probably be a guy picked a little early (like Schiefele) and a guy who drops a bit (like Couturier).

Old
03-01-2012, 07:15 PM
PuckInTheNards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
The concept of BPA is bunk because it's based on one of two false assumptions:

1. That there exists some kind of magical prospect ranking which foretells the careers of the prospects to be drafted and is available to all GM's

OR

2. That GM's would confer with their scouts who would unanimously decree one prospect to be clearly better than another, yet the GM would go against all recommendations and draft the inferior prospect to fill an immediate organizational need

Actually considering Risebrough, maybe some GM's are that stupid.

Anyways, #1 is clearly false because otherwise there would be no draft busts. #2 is incredibly difficult to believe. Again, the fate of many multi-million dollar executives and several-hundred-million dollar franchises hang in the balance of these decisions.

When people say "we need to take BPA", it means they have their own personal prospect ranking, and if there's any deviation from that ranking, the GM made a bad move. And considering most people are relying on second or third-hand accounts of players and other scouts' rankings, the opinions really should be taken with a grain of salt.

No GM goes into a draft and tells all the scouts to immediately cross all defensemen, or centers, or left wingers, or goalies off the drat board. It's ludicrous.

Conclusion: any competent GM will take the best player they deem is available at that time, unless they either trade down or up.
You seem to contradict yourself in the very same post. The (actual) concept of BPA is in your conclusion - Any competent GM will take who he deems is the best player on his draft board. He will already have factored in things such as team need, difficulty to fill the position in free agency, etc.

That's what BPA is... so it's not bunk. When a team "drafts for need" it means (to me) that they're going off their board or that they've created a flawed board by (as you pointed out) ignoring defensemen if they feel they need a center, etc.

I went back and read some of the posts... the conflict seems to be that there's no true consensus as to what "BPA" means. If, to you, it means some arbitrary pre-draft list by some pundit, then yeah - I guess it's bunk.

Sorry that got so long winded... It's a weird circular argument that most of us seem to agree on but then say that we disagree. Strange.

Old
03-01-2012, 08:37 PM
nickschultzfan

All draft picks are "BPA" in hockey. This isn't football where there is actually a difference between "BPA" and "need."

"Need" generally only factors in when there is a essentially a tie.

Old
03-01-2012, 09:44 PM
nickschultzfan

We are keeping the tank going tonight.

Old
03-01-2012, 10:54 PM
J22

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstroundbust View Post

Well yeah, thats why i used words like "so far" and "likely". I am by no means a draft expert, having said that, I would be surprised if that list doesnt make up atleast 8 of the top 10 picks.

Old
03-01-2012, 11:31 PM
keppel146
We love Bacon

between maata, dumba, reinhart, trouba, or reilly, does anyone know if theres a clear winner in this group of D (seems like murray is out of this groups league)? or who do we have a chance at getting?

i know theres rankings but as long as the wild are in the top 10 i feel like we will get a good pick now that fletchers here

Old
03-01-2012, 11:52 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

Quote:
Originally Posted by keppel146 View Post
between maata, dumba, reinhart, trouba, or reilly, does anyone know if theres a clear winner in this group of D (seems like murray is out of this groups league)? or who do we have a chance at getting?
Bold = Guys we definitely have a shot at picking.

Dumba's probably the highest rated out of those prospects you listed.

Old
03-02-2012, 05:52 AM
MrGoneWild

The way we are going down and more injuries I can see us getting to the 5th or 6th overall pick if we don't win the lottery. That means we most likely will draft one of Forsberg, Dumba, Galchenyuk or Trouba all very good prospects.

Old
03-02-2012, 06:01 AM
SphinX
#Whytake7whenyouget3

In a late round we should draft a 93' from mye hometeam names Matthias Trettenes.

He is a very energic center with puckhandling skills that will most likely turn in to Norways 1 line center..

A 7th is more than worth it.

I actually mailed Wild about a goalie named Lars Volden that use to play in my hometown team but now plays in espoo blues.

For the record he got drafted by Bruins.

And i guess the franchise dosnt care much about fan mail regarding prospects

Old
03-02-2012, 08:48 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by keppel146 View Post

i know theres rankings but as long as the wild are in the top 10 i feel like we will get a good pick now that fletchers here
At the moment, it looks like Yakupov-Grigorenko go 1-2, Murray-Dumba go 3-4. Of the rest, tyratoku will tell you Trouba's the best. I'll tell you Rielly is the best. You'll probably be able to find someone who says Reinhart's the best. The Finns will try tell you Maatta is the best.

At this point, it seems safe to say the top 3 will be Yak-Grig-Murray. That can always change up until they're picked, but it's where we are now. Dumba is probably picked no later than 6th. Otherwise, 3-10 will likely be made up of (in order of my preference) Galchenyuk, Rielly, Trouba, Ceci, Forsberg, Reinhart, Faksa, and Gaunce.

And because I haven't mentioned it enough, this will change over the next 3.5 months. I'd say that one guy will fall out of the top 10 (probably not Galchenyuk or Rielly as injured top-10 guys rarely fall very far). One person who's not really even being talked about will skyrocket into the top 10, and possibly top 5 (probably a forward, maybe Teravainen?). One team in the top 10 will go "off the board" to select someone expected to go in the 12-15 range. A guy talked about as a possible top 5 will drop to around 10.

Old
03-02-2012, 09:50 AM
BHoke23

I haven't paid close enough attention to the 2012 draft D-men to know but who are the ones in the top 10 considered to be the best PMD?

I don't like PK Subban's personality much but I have a ton of respect for his playstyle. It's fun to watch a D-man go coast to coast. Something we obviously don't really have.

Old
03-02-2012, 09:58 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I don't like puck rushing defensemen. Spurgeon can do that, but I'd rather they focus on getting the puck out of trouble and making a good first pass.

Need to dig up some scouting reports on those D names.

Minnesota likely dropping to 8th projected, although still at 9th in terms of win%.

Pythagorean Draft Position
DraftTeamPtsPPGProjOddsHighest
1stCOLUMBUS450.705825.0%1st
2ndEDMONTON560.897518.8%1st
3rdNY ISLANDERS610.957614.2%1st
4thMONTREAL600.927810.7%1st
5thCAROLINA610.95798.1%1st
6thTAMPA BAY641.02816.2%2nd
7thANAHEIM641.00824.7%3rd
8thMINNESOTA661.03833.6%4th
9thBUFFALO661.03832.7%5th
10thTORONTO651.02842.1%6th