I see it like

I'm cool with any of these 6 players.

Yakupov
Grigorenko
Murray
Galchenyuk
Forsberg
Dumba

I'd be elated with any of them on draft day.

If we miss the top 6 and they are gone, look at Troubda and Rieley.

Has anyone heard any rumors of who the Wild are targeting, or what players our scouts have been watching. I would assume they have watched them all many times, just was wondering if there was any nuggets out there

Old
03-22-2012, 03:00 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

vCash: 500
I'm telling you folks, Jacob Trouba would look MAGNIFICENT in a Wild sweater. He's smart, incredibly poised, physical, mobile, and has some offensive acumen.

I ADORE HIM

Old
03-22-2012, 03:02 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Hopefully we can see some of the discussions, like we could last year on the "Becoming Wild". Those were fun to guess at.

Old
03-22-2012, 03:04 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
Hopefully we can see some of the discussions, like we could last year on the "Becoming Wild". Those were fun to guess at.
I really hope they do that again this year. Those were great to watch and really filled me with a lot of hope for this year.

Old
03-22-2012, 03:21 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
If Rielly were healthy all year I would bet he would be the Huberdeau from this draft.. He had been steadily rising up everyone's boards then he hurt his knee. Makes sense too, a lot of people were are are saying he's got Erik Karlsson-like offense and a lot more physicality. Not saying I would take him over Dumba, but I wouldn't be surprised if Fletch and Flahr did though.
Rielly started too high to have been the Huberdeau of this year. He started the year in the top 10 while Huberdeau was trying to break into the first round.

Old
03-22-2012, 04:09 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Rielly started too high to have been the Huberdeau of this year. He started the year in the top 10 while Huberdeau was trying to break into the first round.
Interesting. I thought both were projected to go in the latter third of the 1st, earlier part of the 2nd.

Old
03-22-2012, 05:46 PM
WILDTATE10

How do you guys rank Murray, Dumba, Trouba, Reilly, Reinhart?

From the sounds of it Trouba would take at least a couple years to get to the NHL? Same with Reinhart.

Do you take Grigorenko (spelling) over them?

Old
03-22-2012, 05:50 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDTATE10 View Post

From the sounds of it Trouba would take at least a couple years to get to the NHL? Same with Reinhart.

from the sounds of firstroundbust's adoring description he (Trouba) sounds NHL ready already...what are the knocks against him?

Old
03-22-2012, 05:51 PM
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD

I want Trouba because we have the same first name.

Old
03-22-2012, 05:53 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2600 View Post
I want Trouba because we have the same first name.
that's at least as good a reason as just saying to hell with it and drafting the first Minnesotan available.

Old
03-22-2012, 06:06 PM
Ovechkid08

I loved Trouba in the World Jrs. He looked fantastically poised and made some excellent decisions while displaying good physical talent as well. Murray made some boneheaded plays in games I saw but he instantly recognized the mistakes and hustled to make up for them which says mixed things about his game to me.

Old
03-22-2012, 06:08 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Quote:

I know it's premature and I don't know nearly enough for this to be taken too seriously.. But I love drafts/prospects and lists, so I cannot be stopped.

With that said, based on what I've read and the bits I've seen, here's my top 10:

1. Yakupov
2. Dumba
3. Galchenyuk
4. Trouba
5. Grigorenko
6. Murray
7. Rielly
8. Collberg
9. Reinhart
10. Koekkoek

Quote:
At this point I guess I would take Dumba and Trouba or Grigs.

Old
03-22-2012, 06:15 PM
Chrisd

wow

Forsberg is not even in your top 10?

and Murray at 6....

hmmm

Old
03-22-2012, 06:26 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkid08 View Post
I loved Trouba in the World Jrs. He looked fantastically poised and made some excellent decisions while displaying good physical talent as well. Murray made some boneheaded plays in games I saw but he instantly recognized the mistakes and hustled to make up for them which says mixed things about his game to me.
well that sounds like a certain former Wild player.

Old
03-22-2012, 06:34 PM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

I'm hesitant to take a defenseman with such a high pick... I mean, the track record for early 1st round d-men is pretty abysmal, right?

I still really like Trouba, though. Otherwise, I'd definitely pick a forward with a top-5 pick.

Old
03-22-2012, 06:43 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
I'm hesitant to take a defenseman with such a high pick... I mean, the track record for early 1st round d-men is pretty abysmal, right?

I still really like Trouba, though. Otherwise, I'd definitely pick a forward with a top-5 pick.
i may have missed it, but how do you pick up competent defensemen then? just draft nothing but D with every other pick and hope one of them works out? don't fool yourself into thinking the troupe of guys we have out there now are competent. Gilbert right now is about the only real top four guy we have. Scandella should become one if he can find consistency. Brodin should become one too, but who knows how long that will take. We are going to have to bring one or two up in-system or pay through the arse for one in terms of our highly drafted forwards and picks. just my opinion, of course. couldn't pass up Yakupov but anyone else i still want to trade down a couple spaces and grab a guy...We had two guys targeted last year with our pick and one was left on the board. I would imagine we'd have a couple or more players in mind for a mid to late top 10 pick so it shouldn't be a risk if we can find someone who really really wants that #3 or 4

Old
03-22-2012, 06:52 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
So, Grigorenko scored the first goal of the 2012 Q playoffs.

Also, watch out, Brian Burke is here tonight.

Old
03-22-2012, 07:05 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisd View Post
Forsberg is not even in your top 10?

and Murray at 6....

hmmm
No. I don't like Forsberg at all. I think he's gonna bust big time. I'd be fine with being proven wrong though. And I really, really like Murray. I just like those other players better.

Old
03-22-2012, 07:21 PM
Chrisd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
No. I don't like Forsberg at all. I think he's gonna bust big time. I'd be fine with being proven wrong though. And I really, really like Murray. I just like those other players better.
Oh Okay, cool.

Are you basing this off a hunch or viewings of the player with respect to Forsberg.

Old
03-22-2012, 08:39 PM
forthewild

also from a poster in the forsberg thread in prospects section, the reason he is not playing SEL is because his team isnt qualified to play there. i guess there is a lot of loyalty players have to their teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89
Just my opinion, but Forsberg has a skillset Zibanejad just doesn't have. I can't see any other reason.

And this Allsvenskan/SEL for 17-18 year old players is not a measuring stick. The most promosing junior players with no local connection to a team instead choose a good junior club to represent, usually around age 15(in Forsberg's case, 14). In this case Forsberg choose Leksand who has top junior teams, but the men's team happen to play in Allsvenskan. Young players very rarely switch clubs, hence why Forsberg's not playing in the SEL. Plus there's nothing proven that prospects playing in the SEL would be better off than those playing in Allsvenskan, there are just a lot more of them. Patrik Berglund and Ekman-Larsson played in Allsvenskan and never took a SEL shift.

Last edited by forthewild: 03-22-2012 at 08:45 PM. Reason: quote
Old
03-22-2012, 09:59 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post

Defensemen taken in the top 5 by draft:

2008 - Doughty, Bogosian, Pietrangelo, Schenn
2007 - Hickey, Alzner
2006 - EJ
2005 - Jack Johnson
2004 - Cam Barker
2003 - None
2002 - Bouwmeester, Pitkanen, Whitney
2001 - None
2000 - Klesla

So out of that you have Barker as a bust, and Hickey who hasn't cracked the NHL. Not sure where this idea that defensemen picked that high end up failing keeps coming up from.

Old
03-22-2012, 10:00 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
from the sounds of firstroundbust's adoring description he (Trouba) sounds NHL ready already...what are the knocks against him?
To my knowledge, there has never been a USHL player who made the jump directly to the NHL. Trouba is at least a year out.

Old
03-22-2012, 10:23 PM
State of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Defensemen taken in the top 5 by draft:

2008 - Doughty, Bogosian, Pietrangelo, Schenn
2007 - Hickey, Alzner
2006 - EJ
2005 - Jack Johnson
2004 - Cam Barker
2003 - None
2002 - Bouwmeester, Pitkanen, Whitney
2001 - None
2000 - Klesla

So out of that you have Barker as a bust, and Hickey who hasn't cracked the NHL. Not sure where this idea that defensemen picked that high end up failing keeps coming up from.
They don't necessarily "fail". They just end being disappointments. Remember when there was a legitimate debate between Doughty and Stamkos? No debate now. Bogosian, Schenn, and Alzner are replaceable defensive-minded defensemen. Erik Johnson has been a big disappointment. Jack Johnson has never put it all together defensively. There just isn't much success in the top-5. You don't get the Norris candidates you expected.

Old
03-22-2012, 10:24 PM
nickschultzfan

I think people are confusing "picking Dman in the 1st round" versus "picking the right Dman in the 1st round."

A huge portion of quality NHL Dmen are drafted in the 1st round. It's that you have to pick the right ones out of the group of 10-12 that go in the 1st round.

That's more a scouting issue than a "let's not pick a Dman in the top-10" issue.

Old
03-22-2012, 10:26 PM
nickschultzfan

I swear to god if the Wild go on a run and pick up 12 meaningless points in the final 10 games, and then pick like 8-11, I'm going to flip my s----.

It would be nice just for once to get some positive luck and to have a franchise forward or Dmen fall into our lap.

Closed Thread