HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Madden to sign with Chicago Wolves (Update: will not sign)

Old
10-17-2011, 10:09 PM
LandofLincoln

vCash: 500
Madden to sign with Chicago Wolves (Update: will not sign)

Center John Madden now in......oops no Chicago Wolves.

Man sweet this guy is perfect as a 3rd or 4th line center in case of an injury or straight up 4th line center.

Sorry guys my mistake he is with the Wolves.

He has not signed, but the Wolves are the Canucks affiliate.

Keep your fingers crossed.

I actually like this move by Madden. He is going to play either for Vancover or the Blackhawks and this is a leverage move basically telling Bowman sign me or I am a Canuck who will be the highest bidder for this mad man?

Last edited by LandofLincoln: 10-17-2011 at 10:32 PM. Reason: wrong team
LandofLincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 10:11 PM
ObeyMashinter

Are you serious?

ObeyMashinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 10:13 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
For realsies? Awesome. He's just what we need as a fourth line center/PKer.

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 10:13 PM
LandofLincoln

my mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeyJohnScott View Post
Are you serious?
I forgot the wolves are not our affiliate. So he would not be in Rockford sorry about the hype.

Go to ESPN under Chicago Blackhawks

Last edited by LandofLincoln: 10-17-2011 at 10:34 PM.
Old
10-17-2011, 10:14 PM
ObeyMashinter

Dam you.

Old
10-17-2011, 10:20 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
He isn't Canucks property. We could still probably sign him if needed.

He didn't find an NHL job for a reason, though, people...

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 10:24 PM
LandofLincoln

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeyJohnScott View Post
Dam you.
Exactly this one is on me. Although, why the Wolves?...They are Vancouver's affiliate but he did not sign anything with the Nuck's. Obviously, a guy like him if he is going to pick an AHL affiliate he wants to pick one in a good city with a good team...

Hmm I wonder what team he is considering... Stan throw him 1m and everyone in Chicago will love you. Plus we have it in cap room.

Do it Stan!

Old
10-17-2011, 10:28 PM
ObeyMashinter

Maybe no team needed a 4th line center that can PK, play good defense, wears 3 stanley cup rings and has an AARP gold membership card.

Old
10-17-2011, 10:29 PM
ObeyMashinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandofLincoln View Post
Exactly this one is on me. Although, why the Wolves?...They are Vancouver's affiliate but he did not sign anything with the Nuck's. Obviously, a guy like him if he is going to pick an AHL affiliate he wants to pick one in a good city with a good team...

Hmm I wonder what team he is considering... Stan throw him 1m and everyone in Chicago will love you. Plus we have it in cap room.

Do it Stan!
Remember the Wolves is where Chelios went to die so why not Madden?

Old
10-17-2011, 10:45 PM
LandofLincoln

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
He isn't Canucks property. We could still probably sign him if needed.

He didn't find an NHL job for a reason, though, people...
I disagree with this. I think he had teams interested. I think he pulled a Brett Favre and wanted a longer off-season and no pre-camp stupid stuff that old veterans don't need.

I think Madden always wanted to play this year and had 1m offers but probably wanted 1.5 or he was going to say screw it.

I believe he was thinking ok no contract for 1.5 no problem nobody wants to sign me at that. I believe he was offered 1m and just figured if teams will offer him 1 million than he is going to do it his way.

Madden wants to play on his terms. He will take 1 million a year but not for 82 games of b.s. Madden was thinking 1 million for 60 games on a playoff team. He will get that watch.

Madden is looking to pick his team. Shorter season for him longer off season and when he signs it will be for the team he wants at the price he wants. I'm betting 1 million.

I disagree with the theory no team wanted him. He was playing a game of cards his way.

Old
10-17-2011, 10:48 PM
brevard*

Quote:

Do it Stan!

Not everybody. Madden's toast.
Last June he openly lobbied to go back to the Wild and they passed. Over the following 4 months 29 other teams all passed.
The Wolves have a big market and can pay a max AHL contract for a name Chicagoans may recognize and pay to see while he gets a chance to show everyone he has something left in the tank. ... Sure didn't look like it the last half of last season.

brevard* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 10:55 PM
Gootie
Thug of the Year

There's a reason he's playing for the Wolves.

Gootie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 10:56 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
I disagree with this. I think he had teams interested. I think he pulled a Brett Favre and wanted a longer off-season and no pre-camp stupid stuff that old veterans don't need.

I think Madden always wanted to play this year and had 1m offers but probably wanted 1.5 or he was going to say screw it.

I believe he was thinking ok no contract for 1.5 no problem nobody wants to sign me at that. I believe he was offered 1m and just figured if teams will offer him 1 million than he is going to do it his way.

Madden wants to play on his terms. He will take 1 million a year but not for 82 games of b.s. Madden was thinking 1 million for 60 games on a playoff team. He will get that watch.

Madden is looking to pick his team. Shorter season for him longer off season and when he signs it will be for the team he wants at the price he wants. I'm betting 1 million.

I disagree with the theory no team wanted him. He was playing a game of cards his way.

I basically stopped taking this seriously when you put John Madden and Brett Favre in the same sentence. A legend can do that. A role player can't.

He would've been lucky to find an NHL job and he didn't.

Old
10-17-2011, 11:01 PM
brevard*

Quote:

Lots of claims, anything other than your opinion to back it up?

This (RED) is from a Wild writer
..., John Madden brought a pedigree like no other. Multiple Stanley Cup rings, renowned for his defensive abilities, and a known leader. No one saw his signing coming, nor did any of us even guess that he was on the Wild's radar. His signing was more than welcome, however, as the Wild's defensive forwards in 2009-10 were nothing magical."""
[...]
"""He was clearly not the same Madden that played in New Jersey, but he could still have been the Madden that won a Cup with the Blackhawks just last year."""
[...]
""" Final Thought
"'''' John Madden is on the record saying that he either wants to re-sign in Minnesota or retire. That, obviously, limits his options, and makes his agent's job a little more difficult. If none of the "kids" show they have what it takes in training camp, the Wild may have the chance to get Madden back on the cheap. Certainly, worse things have happened to the team. Should he choose to retire, he will make someone an amazing coach or a great analyst.""'''

Old
10-17-2011, 11:07 PM
LandofLincoln

Quote:
Originally Posted by brevard View Post
Not everybody. Madden's toast.
Last June he openly lobbied to go back to the Wild and they passed. Over the following 4 months 29 other teams all passed.
The Wolves have a big market and can pay a max AHL contract for a name Chicagoans may recognize and pay to see while he gets a chance to show everyone he has something left in the tank. ... Sure didn't look like it the last half of last season.
I like this theory. True the Wolves can pay him plus Chicagoan's recognize the name and that sells tickets. This may be more accurate than my theory.

I don't have to always be right. However, if Madden signs for more than the league minimum for his 60 games say 750,000 then I am.

If he signs for a league minimum I will be eating crow. Him not working out in Minnesota...well I don't what that means. I don't know if Sydney Crosby would work out there.

Anyway I think he is a good insurance policy for anything under 1m

Old
10-17-2011, 11:11 PM
Timinater

Mayers is fine as our 4th line center IMO

Timinater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 11:13 PM
LandofLincoln

Quote:

This (RED) is from a Wild writer
..., John Madden brought a pedigree like no other. Multiple Stanley Cup rings, renowned for his defensive abilities, and a known leader. No one saw his signing coming, nor did any of us even guess that he was on the Wild's radar. His signing was more than welcome, however, as the Wild's defensive forwards in 2009-10 were nothing magical."""
[...]
"""He was clearly not the same Madden that played in New Jersey, but he could still have been the Madden that won a Cup with the Blackhawks just last year."""
[...]
""" Final Thought
"'''' John Madden is on the record saying that he either wants to re-sign in Minnesota or retire. That, obviously, limits his options, and makes his agent's job a little more difficult. If none of the "kids" show they have what it takes in training camp, the Wild may have the chance to get Madden back on the cheap. Certainly, worse things have happened to the team. Should he choose to retire, he will make someone an amazing coach or a great analyst.""'''
No I am running solely on opinion and let time reveal the truth. Time has a way of telling, and if there is a demand of his services it will not be for a team like Minnesota. He wants to play for a contender at his age.

Everything he said about Minnesota he said his last year in Chicago and maybe that is why he came back. Time will tell. I don't have to be right opinions are like noses everyone has one.

Old
10-17-2011, 11:13 PM
BiBoFro*

Madden> Kruger and Mayers. Kruger can learn a thing or two as well from Madden.

BiBoFro* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 11:17 PM
brevard*

Quote:
I like this theory. True the Wolves can pay him plus Chicagoan's recognize the name and that sells tickets. This may be more accurate than my theory.

I don't have to always be right. However, if Madden signs for more than the league minimum for his 60 games say 750,000 then I am.

If he signs for a league minimum I will be eating crow. Him not working out in Minnesota...well I don't what that means. I don't know if Sydney Crosby would work out there.

Anyway I think he is a good insurance policy for anything under 1m
I know we all tend to love/hate players to an extreme here but Chicago has no room for Madden. Mayers is doing fine so far and actually (checking stats) did fine on faceoffs last year so should everyone be healthy and the line up settle I can see him at center.

What the team really needs is actual production from Frolik and for one guy (some where) to slide into our top 9.

Old
10-17-2011, 11:17 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
It's a message board...that's what we do on it, offer opinions.

Old
10-17-2011, 11:21 PM
BiBoFro*

You can carry 26 players on your roster. Where does it say "no room, gtfo"

Old
10-17-2011, 11:22 PM
LandofLincoln

ok maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post

I basically stopped taking this seriously when you put John Madden and Brett Favre in the same sentence. A legend can do that. A role player can't.

He would've been lucky to find an NHL job and he didn't.
A legend can do this no doubt...

Role player can't hmm maybe? At least most role players want to go out normally knowing they played their last game hanging up their skates. Yes, that is the normal way.

Madden is not a normal role player. I mean he is just a normal role player. He still has an aura of being a penalty killing 4th line grinder that has 3 Cups. Three cups is not legendary, but not many guys have that. Sure he is no Brett Favre. The analogy was made because pre-season and a full season actually hurts veteran players
more than it helps them. 2/3rds of a season for older guys makes more sense.

By the end of November we will see where Madden is...

Old
10-17-2011, 11:29 PM
LandofLincoln

Quote:
I know we all tend to love/hate players to an extreme here but Chicago has no room for Madden. Mayers is doing fine so far and actually (checking stats) did fine on faceoffs last year so should everyone be healthy and the line up settle I can see him at center.

What the team really needs is actual production from Frolik and for one guy (some where) to slide into our top 9.
I do agree there is no room for Madden. Some team somewhere is going to have a 3rd line center or 4th line center go down. If they are trying to make the playoffs they make a trade or they sign John Madden.

No room for Madden. Well lets see how our penalty kill ends up in a few more weeks. A team could add him just for that reason alone.

I hope Dale Tallon signs him. Florida is off to a good start.

Old
10-17-2011, 11:37 PM
BiBoFro*

Quote:
I do agree there is no room for Madden. Some team somewhere is going to have a 3rd line center or 4th line center go down. If they are trying to make the playoffs they make a trade or they sign John Madden.

No room for Madden. Well lets see how our penalty kill ends up in a few more weeks. A team could add him just for that reason alone.

I hope Dale Tallon signs him. Florida is off to a good start.
Yeah, I wish Tallon all the best of luck as well. But if there's somebody to sign, it's Madden for us and not for them.

Old
10-17-2011, 11:38 PM
brevard*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiBoFro View Post
Madden> Kruger and Mayers. Kruger can learn a thing or two as well from Madden.
Based on the Madden I saw last year compared to the Mayers I saw last year I would take Mayers and then everyone healthy Kruger is the 5th C. which based on his pay to this point won't hurt us. ... I have no major objection to signing Madden, he is a good guy. I just don't think it is needed and would prefer to see the cap spent (if needed) on a proven top 6 forward and a proven top 4 D-man. at the deadline.

The forward thing may play out in house as we have a lot of young guys that are close but right now we are only 6 deep on defense and 1 of them is 40 years old. I would love to see a top level 2nd pair type join the team at the deadline forr the 3rd pair. That (to me) is how cups are won. Depth!

Doan, Rozsival and a 2nd from Phoenix
For
Olesz, Lepisto, Center prospect, Beach, Lalonde and a 1st
You know what those guys do for the Hawks. For the Yotes
A) Pirri, Kruger, MacNeal are all very good prospects. They get 1, not sure if their choice or not (I am not a real GM).
B) Beach, young power forward. Can be replaced if they insist (Hayes?)
C) Lalonde, Young skating D-man, appears to have an NHL future.

Olesz and Lepisto fill the holes and Olesz provides some cap floor assistance money.