HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

something feels a little ''off'' this year...

Old
10-18-2011, 12:32 PM
Protest the Hero

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLcrazy View Post
I know what your feeling, it's just every year is a copy form the last it seems. We need a REAL OFFENSIVE star a guy who can pot 40+ goals ,80-90 points. We need excitement!
Since the 1998-99 season (13 years) we had three 30 goal scorers (Zednik, Ryder and Kovy) and 1 guy over 80 points (Kovy). Pathetic.
I'd agree with this. Although I think we have some of the players in place, but we(the fans) always get stuck with a defense first coach. It'd be really great to see a highly offensive, killer forcheck team/system in place.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 12:54 PM
tinyzombies

Winning a Cup is a marathon, so having all these kids get long looks/experience is good for the team in the long run. But if Markov doesn't make it back, it signals the end of the old core imo (however, seems as tho the inflammation wasn't caused by anything serious, so I'm optimistic).

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 04:12 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Let just hope that it's not Price who's a little off....'cause we're screwed.

Just wondering though....could it be Carey Price type of sophomore slump? I mean, after having to proove that he's better than Jaro...how about not having that adrenaline anymore that could explain his slow start? And if so, let just hope it's just a slow start and not a slow year....

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 04:18 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

I think it's this year's dry warm weather. Up until last weekend I was at the cottage boating most weekends, and quite frankly hockey wasn't the first thing on my mind.

Agnostic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 04:26 PM
Dirty Danglez
Take it like a Man

What I like about this thread is that I can now identify every bipolar fan, which isn't so much of a bad thing, but I'm always excited for the team. You guys basically all admitted you're disinterested until the habs start winning again.

Dirty Danglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 04:28 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
I think it's this year's dry warm weather. Up until last weekend I was at the cottage boating most weekends, and quite frankly hockey wasn't the first thing on my mind.
Dry ? Where is your cottage Texas ?

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 04:38 PM
All-Star

Every October starts off slow for me. Then November comes around and it becomes all hockey, all the time...

All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 04:42 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
What I like about this thread is that I can now identify every bipolar fan, which isn't so much of a bad thing, but I'm always excited for the team. You guys basically all admitted you're disinterested until the habs start winning again.
hey by any chance, would you be able to give me some private therapy lessons ?

I mean, if I could get excited over mediocrity than maybe life would be much easier...

Hell, I could watch the same 4 movies over and over again and never complain of being bored!

17 years without a Cup ? Bah... couple of sessions with you and I'll be strong enough for 17 more !!!

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 04:48 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
We'll see if you guys are disinterested when we win the Cup in June.
Best answer this month

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 04:56 PM
Bieber fever

I think the principal reason it's because you know nothing is going to change this season and I'm not saying it's a bad thing .Our top 6 is complete and he's filled with good player ( not elite ) signed long term .......Gionta-gomez-plekanec-cole cammellari.....it's not like Toews ,hossa, kane , keith. We are not going to land a elite foward.

The defense is boring as phuck ! With markov out , Subban is the only one who is aesthetic to watch and unfortunately he payed like crap for the firsts few games.

Bieber fever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 04:56 PM
NHLFutureGuy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleOdelein View Post
Last season was an insane year to be a Habs fan. There was so many provocative issues/storylines with last year's team, that it was almost overwhelming.

By the second game of the season last year, we'd seen Price get bashed for months and could now revel in his proving every doubter wrong. We had also watched Cherry kickstart a disgusting and unjustified attack on Subban's character and some of us got dragged into defending PK against the idiots that parroted their senile idol's stupidity. Every month or so some player, coach or analyst would pick the scab on the Subban issue and bring it back to prominence.

We also had the shocking return and re-injury of Markov, which led to the ramping up of our personal bickering. We had the Gorges injury, the Wiz trade, Pacioretty's call-up and great play to keep us occupied through December.

We had a sweet comeback win over the B's in January and an enjoyable experience of seeing Price and Subban at the all-star weekend.

Then all Hell broke loose. The infamous 8-6 game happened and we saw the true rise of the "Toughness Issue". Along with the heightened intensity of the B's rivalry, we had a new divisive argument to take the place of the old omnipresent Price/Halak debate. Then the Pacioretty incident happened and most of us were in a frenzy for the rest of the season.

Add in the fact that the B's went on to eliminate the Habs in game 7 and went on to win the Cup, it's fair to say most of us were engaged throughout the entire year.

We then proceeded to argue the toughness issue, our take on Martin/Gauthier and Markov's health to the point of redundancy over the Summer.

Now we're 4 games into the season and the Habs' start has been pretty uninspiring. We've seen a few injuries, but nothing overly dramatic (I know I breathed a sigh of relief about Cammy). The most provocative debates we have to occupy ourselves in the meantime are about Cole playing 2 periods on the "third line", Eller playing on the wing, Kostitsyn seeing reduced ice-time for one period in the first game (and responding greatly to the message) and Subban's struggles on the point. There's still ongoing arguments about Markov, Martin and toughness, but there hasn't been any new ground uncovered in those debates in months. None of these is particularily interesting or engaging compared to what we saw last year.

I'm not surprised that people are feeling underwhelmed; the least exciting moment of last season was infused with more drama and intrigue than anything we've seen so far this season. That emotional juxtaposition seems to make these days seem more vacant than usual for us Habs fans.

From what I've seen of this team in the past, things won't stay this way all year. Whether it's an in-game incident or the media starts something, it shouldn't be too long before we've forgotten about the relatively boring start.
Awesome post. Thanks for putting things into perspective. I forgot how great last year was entertainment wise. I also forgot what a let down it was to see Chara winning the cup after not even getting... ah don't get me started.

Awesome post!

NHLFutureGuy3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 04:59 PM
Teufelsdreck

Each game is an entity to itself. Some are enjoyable, some are not. I refuse to fast forward past #82. Why attend regular season games if the Cup ceremony is the only thing that matters? Bringing it up in a GDT is worse than premature, it's childish.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 05:01 PM
HeShootsHeScores

I think a 4-5 games winning streak before it gets too bad will bring the fans back in. But indeed, it was a long summer with the bruins winning the cup. What the fans needed the past 3 weeks was a team madly eager to beat the crap out of every team. So far it seems no matter how good our 3 offensive lines might be, the defense will remain a question mark. It's an intriguing start and I can't actually wait to see what's next. And as a fan, you can't not be excited enough about the offensive depth this team has on a good day.

Also, losing to boston in 7 games to watch them hoist the cup was kind of like losing a chapter of a war that went from 1972 to 2011 (the war being to prevent the bruins form touching a stanley cup), even though as a proud fan it's hard to admit. Some fans might have temporarily abdicate.

Last edited by HeShootsHeScores: 10-18-2011 at 05:11 PM.
HeShootsHeScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 06:16 PM
SouthernHab

Not a lot has changed for me here. I still look forward to watching every game. Everything else takes the back burner when the Habs are playing.

I would say that the main thing that has changed is my expectations. I used to expect that we would win every game....even during the Carbo years. This year, in the year SM 3 (since Martin), my expectations are not great.

I know what championship caliber hockey looks like and I know what **** hockey looks like. It appears that lots of other people recognize **** hockey as well.

Is it Molson who is trying to sell us a **** sandwich and convince us it is Filet Mignon? Or is Molson clueless or indifferent to Canadiens hockey and just simply has his accountants deposit the cash?

Welcome to the greatest franchise in hockey being run by Gauthier and Martin.

I am truly shocked that some of the strongest Gauthier and Martin fanboys are feeling a little bit blue about this season. They have what they have been advocating for the entire offseason. A team without fighting or enforcers. A soft team molded in the image of Pierre Gauthier, the effete and fragile GM of the Montreal Canadiens.

Wonder what Jean Béliveau thinks about when he watches the games at the Bell Centre.

SouthernHab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 06:40 PM
theboss*

Bruins winning cup, habs are soft and predictable is why im starting to not care. How obvious is it that we are going to lose to florida? I already know the outcome

theboss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 07:18 PM
bib
#believe

I feel the same way, but it's not so much about the lack of hype surrounding the team, or even the team we have.

I just feel like I"m outgrowing sports on some level. As if I've realized, that many other things are more important to me

ok, what the deuce is going on here

bib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 07:41 PM
Vinc360

I made a thread about that after the colorado game I was at (I felt that since the beginning of the season and even moreso at the bell center).

I completely agree. Something does feel a little off... but when things felt "right" the team ended up disappointing me... so maybe this year....... could it be? Could it mean that.... no... impossible... is it?

Vinc360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 09:16 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

I was really into tonight's game for the first time this season. It's going to build and build imo. Emelin and Diaz are reason enough for me to be excited about this team.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:07 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Everyone was looking forward to Markov leading the D.

It was quite demoralizing to lose him.

Other than that...

The season is just heating up, man

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:11 PM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

The Van-Bos series drained me and the pre-season was definition scrappy hockey.

Tonight's game against BUF was typical of JM teams - if the PP is off, we lose.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:13 PM
number72

There is no passion, no desire and no grit by the habs.
Drop the gloves once in a while if the habs are losing.
This gets the fans and team back into the game.
Habs are just going through the motions

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:15 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Max Pacioretty is definitely not "off"

Old
10-18-2011, 10:21 PM
Captain Saku

The OP can't be more right. I feel exactly the same. Believe it or not, I haven't watched a 60 minutes game yet. In the past 6 years at least I never missed one minute of the first 10 games at least. This season seems different, I don't know maybe because I have other priorities in my personal life, but still, I don't feel 'IN' as in the past years and I'll resume the reasons as following:

1- Lack of controversy in the team: let's face it, montreal media as well as the fans love controversy, every year since the lockout seemed to have lots of controversies at the beginning of the season.

2- Lack of players cycling: again, us habs fans love new acquisitions, because they give us hope, since Bob Gainey fired everybody and hired Gionta, Gomez, Cammalleri, etc. to astronomic and very long contracts, the team is being tied with them and can't acquire big names on the market or via trade. We kind of expect what we're gonna get on the ice, it's the same team since 3 years now.

3- Injuries: Markov and other key players but mainly Markov, a huge blow.

4- Lack of CKAC: whether you like it or not this radio station used to know how to gather people around the HABS. Lack of CKAC for me at least has been a huge factor.

5- Pierre Boivin: this has yet to be proven, but I believe this guy was a mastermind in marketing, he knew what fans wanted.

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:28 PM
Guess

Add the injuries and the unexcitable AHL callups, and the uninspiring games the habs have shown of late (besides the 6-5 game) and I can see why people are disinterested..

I don't think this will be a problem in the long-term, though!

Guess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:31 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
The OP can't be more right. I feel exactly the same. Believe it or not, I haven't watched a 60 minutes game yet. In the past 6 years at least I never missed one minute of the first 10 games at least. This season seems different, I don't know maybe because I have other priorities in my personal life, but still, I don't feel 'IN' as in the past years and I'll resume the reasons as following:

1- Lack of controversy in the team: let's face it, montreal media as well as the fans love controversy, every year since the lockout seemed to have lots of controversies at the beginning of the season.

2- Lack of players cycling: again, us habs fans love new acquisitions, because they give us hope, since Bob Gainey fired everybody and hired Gionta, Gomez, Cammalleri, etc. to astronomic and very long contracts, the team is being tied with them and can't acquire big names on the market or via trade. We kind of expect what we're gonna get on the ice, it's the same team since 3 years now.

3- Injuries: Markov and other key players but mainly Markov, a huge blow.

4- Lack of CKAC: whether you like it or not this radio station used to know how to gather people around the HABS. Lack of CKAC for me at least has been a huge factor.

5- Pierre Boivin: this has yet to be proven, but I believe this guy was a mastermind in marketing, he knew what fans wanted.
You know it!

When the Habs beat the Caps and Pens two years ago CKAC were right there pumping up the city...

Idiots! for shutting it down...