HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What is happening?!

Old
10-18-2011, 02:00 AM
AEM6729

vCash: 500
What is happening?!

We suck.

We haven't seen a good game yet this year.

We might lose The Big Three. Especially if we continue to suck. Then we will REALLY suck.

I'm depressed.

Help!

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 02:06 AM
Koto

the preds are 500 with about average offence, no need to panic

frankly the bigger issue is somehow being 24th in GA

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 02:27 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

It's a rough start. We need Erat and Fisher in the worst way. The kids aren't all perfectly ready just yet, imo. Bergfors should atleast be getting a chance, it's not like McGratton is doing anything.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 02:47 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
It's the Predators. We do this every year.

Win the first 2 games, lose the next 5-6, win the next 6-7. We settle in and win about 2 out of 3 games for the rest of the season with another 5 game losing streak and another 5-6 game win streak mixed somewhere in there.

As bad as the team is playing, we're 2-2-1. We're not 0-5 (we're only 5 games into the season!). Going 7-1 in the preseason probably masked some of the problems, but there is a lot of time to get things corrected.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 04:30 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

We got the same record as the Canucks. I wonder if they're freaking out too.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 05:17 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
We got the same record as the Canucks. I wonder if they're freaking out too.
Yes, they are. There is a reason why the word fan comes from fanatic

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 07:32 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Yes, they are. There is a reason why the word fan comes from fanatic
When we have been outplayed, out shot, out scored, out hit, out hustled, by FIVE lottery teams, I think we have a right to panic.

I warned about this. We have too many young guys on this team and not enough veterans that are proven offensive producers. Very few established players. We have forwards who are not talented enough right now in positions where they are doomed to fail. The exception to this is Smith, Kostitsyn, and Wilson mainly Smith, who continues to impress despite being thrown of the top line.

Last edited by Roman Yoshi: 10-18-2011 at 07:40 AM.
Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 07:51 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Defense doesn't just mean defensemen. Breaking the puck out is just as important as anything. Coming out of the zone as a unit with speed is extremely important but takes an entire team to commit to every zone.

Their are 5 guys in the defensive zone and it takes all 5 to play the correct way to get it done.

Too many times last night we saw Laakso, Hillen and Klein especially, the defensemen just throw the puck high off the glass, or the forwards turn the puck over at the half boards.

We never dumped with the right speed to make them pay for standing up at the blueline. We never had the forecheck to prevent their forwards from coming through the zone with speed.

That's not a defenseman issue, they have to back up and respect the speed, they're trying to keep up with a guy coming in from the other end of the ice, with speed, while skating backwards, of course they back-up.

That's a team effort and positioning problem, and frankly shows how young we are.

I also think O'Reilly has to step up. He's supposed to be an offensive player.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 08:07 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Blum shouldn't be excepted. He's been terrible thus far. I think that essentially having two defensive pairs is taking a toll on the entire team. We've suddenly become a team of turnover machines, regardless of the zone we're in.

But to answer the question, "what's happening" is something that was always a distinct possibility-- a "youth movement" is failing. Too many guys are playing roles that are way above their head.

I'm not throwing in the towel on the season yet obviously, but there are issues, and effort\work aren't the only ones.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 08:54 AM
RaiderDoug

This is the same Barry Trotz team we always see - no puck possession, no one is willing to shoot the puck, can't get through the neutral zone to shoot it anyway, power play stinks because we can't keep the puck in the offensive zone 5 on 4, much less 5 on 5.

The only thing we really didn't see coming is all these young defensemen we're breaking in have sucked, which has turned our normally rock solid D into swiss cheese.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 09:14 AM
SavageSteve

To me, polar opposites in game play results and long winning/losing streaks is what you get in a young team like ours. When they are 'On', they can blow any team out of the water and be in a zone for weeks. When they are 'Off', they look like they never should have made it out of Juniors and play like garbage for a month. I actually think that this is a good time to get this out of our system if there ever was one, as the pre-season was a bit too successful for our Baby Preds to actually learn from adversity. Once we get some of the leaders and main cogs back in the line-up like Fisher, Erat, and the Cube, I think we'll see a calming influence that will re-focus the kids to 'straighten up and fly right'. Till then, I think we'll see how the kids deal w/ adversity for a bit and hopefully grow from it...

SavageSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:02 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
When we have been outplayed, out shot, out scored, out hit, out hustled, by FIVE lottery teams, I think we have a right to panic.
Not that I am happy with the way the team has been playing, but saying that we have been outplayed by five lottery teams on the 18th of October is pretty drastic. If you're basing it off of last season, we have played all of one lottery team and that was last night. New Jersey sucked at the beginning of last year, but began to turn it around (without Parise). They ought to be a pretty good team this year. Columbus has been ****, but every year they aren't exactly a great team and every year we end up in close games with them. I don't remember too many times when anyone can say we blew the Blue Jackets out of the water. St Louis is likely battling for a play off spot this year rather than waiting around to see if they move up to the first overall pick. If I'm not mistaken the Blues were among the best teams after the ASB last season, and that's with a bunch of injuries. They have a healthier roster right now with some veteran additions to their bottom 6 to supplement the young talent in the top 6. Phoenix lost Bryz, so I expect them to dip. You never know, though. Last year they were in the play offs. So really we were outplayed by one lottery team (admittedly, severely outplayed), and that lottery team has been a lottery team for a while now. Eventually you have to expect Edmonton to be a good team with all of the high draft picks.

Again, I am not happy with the way the team is playing, but there is frustration and there is freaking out. Panicking over a fire while stuck in an elevator shaft is normal. Panicking after five NHL games isn't, but you certainly have the right to do so if you choose.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:26 AM
wadesworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Blum shouldn't be excepted. He's been terrible thus far. I think that essentially having two defensive pairs is taking a toll on the entire team. We've suddenly become a team of turnover machines, regardless of the zone we're in.
Yeah, that cross-ice pass with an open net behind you was a great idea.

wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:35 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Not that I am happy with the way the team has been playing, but saying that we have been outplayed by five lottery teams on the 18th of October is pretty drastic. If you're basing it off of last season, we have played all of one lottery team and that was last night. New Jersey sucked at the beginning of last year, but began to turn it around (without Parise). They ought to be a pretty good team this year. Columbus has been ****, but every year they aren't exactly a great team and every year we end up in close games with them. I don't remember too many times when anyone can say we blew the Blue Jackets out of the water. St Louis is likely battling for a play off spot this year rather than waiting around to see if they move up to the first overall pick. If I'm not mistaken the Blues were among the best teams after the ASB last season, and that's with a bunch of injuries. They have a healthier roster right now with some veteran additions to their bottom 6 to supplement the young talent in the top 6. Phoenix lost Bryz, so I expect them to dip. You never know, though. Last year they were in the play offs. So really we were outplayed by one lottery team (admittedly, severely outplayed), and that lottery team has been a lottery team for a while now. Eventually you have to expect Edmonton to be a good team with all of the high draft picks.

Again, I am not happy with the way the team is playing, but there is frustration and there is freaking out. Panicking over a fire while stuck in an elevator shaft is normal. Panicking after five NHL games isn't, but you certainly have the right to do so if you choose.
Coyotes (20th)
St. Louis (11th)
Columbus (8th)
New Jersey (4th)
Edmonton (1st)

Okay so not "lottery teams" but three in the top ten and all five in the top 20.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:37 AM
KevFist
is best pony

Just chillax folks.... Long season ahead of us. It'll get worked out.

KevFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:45 AM
Top 6 Spaling

On a scale of 1-10, how bad would it be to bring a "Fail for Nail" poster to the next game?

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:59 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
Coyotes (20th)
St. Louis (11th)
Columbus (8th)
New Jersey (4th)
Edmonton (1st)

Okay so not "lottery teams" but three in the top ten and all five in the top 20.
I still don't buy into the idea of judging these past five games based on our opponents' respective standings from last year. We've been playing poorly, sure, but you're taking a lot of credit away from the other teams here. St Louis is a good team. I expect them to make a run for the play offs this year. The same goes for New Jersey. Hell, Edmonton could make a run since they are in such a weak division (and they're actually a pretty good team, too). You can make a strong case for Columbus and Phoenix finishing in the bottom third of the league, but it isn't a forgone conclusion just because Columbus sucked last year and sucks right now or because Phoenix lost Bryz.

The team has sucked. Yes. But if someone asks me whether or not this group of players has the tools to correct the problems it has been having in the first five games I will say, "Definitely". They have the speed to get the forecheck going and to cause havoc in the neutral zone during break outs. They just need to start working better as a group to carry the puck into the offensive zone. I'm not seeing good passes or puck protection, but I'm also not seeing good options for passes. Often times the other skaters are more responsible for what happens with the puck than the carrier himself. On the forecheck they have to get aggressive again. An aggressive forecheck has been this team's bread and butter. They have the skill on the blueline to start limiting shots and, more importantly, quality chances. First, play in the neutral zone has to improve. If the puck keeps getting turned over on the break out then these odd-man rushes and quality scoring chances will continue. Rinne has been playing pretty well. His numbers right now are just slightly worse than his numbers at the end of last season, yet he is on pace to face over 700 more shots than he faced last season. Finally, the team has a good coaching staff to help put the pieces together.

One domino has to fall before the rest, and in this case I think it's the typical beginning-of-the-year-in-Nashville bug that needs to be worked out. Responsible play with the puck, starting in the defensive zone. Once the guys start working the puck up the ice safely and consistently the defense will look better. The chances for the other team will go down, as will the overall shot totals. Our shot totals and scoring chances will increase. Mix in Trotz's forecheck and you have a pretty tough team to play against. My only concern right now is that these guys are too full of piss and vinegar (read: young) to stop with the cute plays all of the time (and to stop looking scared with the puck when a quick decision has to be made).

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 11:14 AM
JohniusMaximus
Digging the Sarchasm

I think they read these forums and got depressed.

JohniusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 11:20 AM
dulzhok

We are notorious for looking like ****, then somehow pulling things together.

This is such a pivotal year for the franchise. If we suck this year, it will be far more damaging than one year.

With Erat and Fisher, I think we would contend for worst collection of offense. Without them... we are without a doubt the least talented offensive team in the league that can't sustain any possession of the puck.

Add on top of that, we have raw newbs playing after Suter, Rinne, and Klien... it's not a good combination. Rinne can only help us so much.

Time for Trotz to work his magic.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 11:23 AM
naihlflames

Record with Craig Smith on the top line: 2-0-0
Record without Craig Smith on the top line: 0-2-1

naihlflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 11:29 AM
Greg1420

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
It's a rough start. We need Erat and Fisher in the worst way. The kids aren't all perfectly ready just yet, imo. Bergfors should atleast be getting a chance, it's not like McGratton is doing anything.
Actually, I think McGratton did do something.
Edmonton came out hitting. Early shot on SK. We don't finish our checks and play like a bunch of sissies. Enter McG. He takes a shift, flies around attempting to hit anything in sight. He doesn't actually make good contact with anyone, but after his shift Edmonton quit finishing their checks and hitting us at every opportunity. Prior to his shift Edmonton was in complete control physically. His shift stopped all that and changed the pace of the game. Unfortunantely we didn't take advantage of the playing field McGratton had re-leveled for us. (Except SK74 shot that trickled through) There's no leadership on the ice from leaders who shall remain nameless.

One other rant, Call time out, Barry, when we're playing like Sh** and try to correct some things during the period- not just in the locker room at intermission.
And Hillen sucks.

Greg1420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 12:02 PM
maplepred

When we say we are playing guys with no NHL experience and the kids are getting beat, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Craig smith the only guy on the team who had no NHL experience coming into this season?
Blum had minimal as well but outside of those two, we can't blame this on youth and inexperience.

I guarantee you if we could get a star forward somehow, the mood in the dressing room would do a 180

maplepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 12:10 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
When we say we are playing guys with no NHL experience and the kids are getting beat, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Craig smith the only guy on the team who had no NHL experience coming into this season?
Blum had minimal as well but outside of those two, we can't blame this on youth and inexperience.

I guarantee you if we could get a star forward somehow, the mood in the dressing room would do a 180
You can add Blake to Blum, I'm not sure about others

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 12:18 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Halishuk, Laakso, Ekholm, Geoffrion, Smith and Blum are all very inexperienced players. I wouldn't say Spaling and O'Reilly are actually seasoned NHLers yet either.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 12:30 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
The disturbing aspect for me is that post game either Trotz, Weber, or Rinne has said something to the effect of, " We came out flat, we didn't get going until the third period, we never got going, etc etc etc."

and Jack Hillen is terrible. Just terrible.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote