HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kris Letang will have disciplinary hearing today

Old
10-18-2011, 10:25 AM
MrBurghundy
Relax

vCash: 500
Either way you feel about the possible suspension, you have to agree that Letang HAS to do a better job at recognizing that's a dangerous hit and let up, especially considering the league stance on hits like this. He can't risk putting his team down a man in the game, and possibly without his services for a few games. We have enough problems missing guys as it is right now.

MrBurghundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:28 AM
Riggs
Kaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
Burmistrov has no reason to be facing the boards there. He had a perfect angle to at least get that puck off the boards and out or maybe even squeak by Letang before he turned.
Looked like Burmistrov wanted to turn back into his zone.... Letang could have waited a second and made a clean hit on the boards either coming out of the zone or going back in.

Also, Letang didn't have to extend his arms and push the guy into the boards while he was staring at his name across his back.

Riggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:29 AM
Sideline

vCash: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
You can't put the blame on Burmistrov.
I do blame him because if played for me he'd get chewed out for not clearing the puck. Burmistrov had the angle on Letang. If Burmistrov stays on his line the puck is out of the zone and the worst that happens to him is going shoulder first into the glass. Burmistrov didn't need put himself in a vulnerable position to make a play. He wasn't chasing down an icing or in a puck battle on the broads. He didn't start the play on a bad line to the puck. What Burmistrov did is the equivalent of chicken winging a defenders stick to draw a holding penalty except it puts him in a hell of a lot more danger.

Sideline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:30 AM
Sideline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggs View Post
Looked like Burmistrov wanted to turn back into his zone.... Letang could have waited a second and made a clean hit on the boards either coming out of the zone or going back in.

Also, Letang didn't have to extend his arms and push the guy into the boards while he was staring at his name across his back.
That's the only part of the hit I don't like.

Old
10-18-2011, 10:32 AM
regard

Bumistrov could maybe have taken better care of himself by not stickhandling until he was face first with the boards. I'm not putting the blame on him by saying that either, Letang shouldnt have pushed him from behind. But either way Bumistrov probably could have, and should in the future, look to his own safety a little more.

If he looked to brace himself along the boards when he got that close, he and Letang could have gotten into a scrum there like you see happen all game long.

Would like to see a few more seconds before the gif.

regard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:37 AM
Coach John McGuirk
ヽ(。_)ノ

That hit deserves a game or two. Could have ended very badly, and I'm sure we'd be pissed if Buff hit a Pen into the boards like that.

Sucks to lose Letang though...

Coach John McGuirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:37 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
I do blame him because if played for me he'd get chewed out for not clearing the puck. Burmistrov had the angle on Letang. If Burmistrov stays on his line the puck is out of the zone and the worst that happens to him is going shoulder first into the glass. Burmistrov didn't need put himself in a vulnerable position to make a play. He wasn't chasing down an icing or in a puck battle on the broads. He didn't start the play on a bad line to the puck. What Burmistrov did is the equivalent of chicken winging a defenders stick to draw a holding penalty except it puts him in a hell of a lot more danger.
It doesn't make any difference if he put himself in a vulnerable position. Letang was looking at his numbers and had plenty of time to hold up and not finish his check.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:38 AM
Hans Rutherford
Got Experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTownFever View Post
Either way you feel about the possible suspension, you have to agree that Letang HAS to do a better job at recognizing that's a dangerous hit and let up, especially considering the league stance on hits like this. He can't risk putting his team down a man in the game, and possibly without his services for a few games. We have enough problems missing guys as it is right now.
This all happens in a fraction of a second. The play would have been completely legal and fine if Burmistrov doesn't turn right before Letang is about to make contact with him. It's not like Letang makes five strides towards Burmistrov and hits him while he's facing the glass.

Hans Rutherford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:41 AM
SenzZen
Rik Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by regard View Post
Your speculating that Letang was "looking to get back" at a player, meaning taking a run at him without seeing it. No benefit of the doubt?
And now what does Letang crosschecking Bumistrov have to do with anything? Players dont usually forget stuff like that.... Meaning Letang remembered crosschecking him and was mad...?
Is it really that difficult to understand? I have a hard time believing you can be this far off without doing it on purpose.

SenzZen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:45 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 70
So what time is the hearing?

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:46 AM
MrBurghundy
Relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGuins8711 View Post
This all happens in a fraction of a second. The play would have been completely legal and fine if Burmistrov doesn't turn right before Letang is about to make contact with him. It's not like Letang makes five strides towards Burmistrov and hits him while he's facing the glass.
He rode him into the boards and finished him off with his arms extended out. It doesn't matter that he turned. Letang has to know in that situation something like that can occur, and know that the league is looking to suspend people for these kinds of hits.

Do I think Burmistrov is to blame? Yeah partially, but in this case it doesn't really matter. Letang has to be the smart one, and he just wasn't there.

If Burmistrov was a Penguin, people would be talking about this hit completely different.

MrBurghundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:50 AM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTownFever View Post
He rode him into the boards and finished him off with his arms extended out. It doesn't matter that he turned. Letang has to know in that situation something like that can occur, and know that the league is looking to suspend people for these kinds of hits.

Do I think Burmistrov is to blame? Yeah partially, but in this case it doesn't really matter. Letang has to be the smart one, and he just wasn't there.

If Burmistrov was a Penguin, people would be talking about this hit completely different.
Yeah, that's the part I keep looking at. Right as he's about to hit the boards Letang "pushes" and gives the hit a little more oomph. Guaranteed Shanny brings this up in the video.

If he doesn't extend his arms, he probably gets away with it, but this will end up being 1 or 2 games for sure.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:51 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGuins8711 View Post
This is another thing I don't quite buy. Sure it happens very fast, we all know that. At the same time these guys are where they are because they think and react physically at that same high level. Plus shouldn't you be looking to line a guy up properly instead of just barrelling towards him and when he turns, just make an "oopsie" face and plaster him from behind?

UnderratedBrooks44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:51 AM
3rdManIn
Put'n on the foil!

Flog him with a blocker pad!!!!!!

3rdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:59 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
Like I said I'll remember next time a Penguin has it happen to them. Somehow I think there will be a lot of semantics as opposed to what's being said about this hit. Hell, look at the .gif that was just posted. Sure he kind of changed directions and it's not the best angle, but even still Letang drives straight through him. How you can put it all on Burmistrov is a mystery.
You can remember whatever you choose bro... you won't see many posts of me whining about hits from Pens or their opponents. The only hit I was pissed about was Gilles because it was first degree assault, not a hit.

Again, AO rarely gets laid out because he keeps his outside shoulder facing the hit. It allows him to brace himself and absorb and power through the hit. You learn about this stuff when you are 11 and 12 years old. Far too many players try to avoid the hit and end up getting boarded, or their knees pinned into the board.

I hate Cherry, but even he echos the same sentiments about the responsibility of protecting yourself out there.

Turning your back to the hitter is never going to end well for you... ever. Your best chance it always going to be to take the hit and use the boards to brace yourself.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 11:02 AM
Hugh Madbrough

No way that deserves a suspension. Burmistrov turned his back at the last second instead of taking a hit. The pussification of the America spreading to the NHL.

Burmistrov did not have to turn back into his zone, he could have chipped the puck off the boards.

Hugh Madbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 11:05 AM
End of Line
Human After All

Great....

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 11:08 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
You can remember whatever you choose bro... you won't see many posts of me whining about hits from Pens or their opponents. The only hit I was pissed about was Gilles because it was first degree assault, not a hit.

Again, AO rarely gets laid out because he keeps his outside shoulder facing the hit. It allows him to brace himself and absorb and power through the hit. You learn about this stuff when you are 11 and 12 years old. Far too many players try to avoid the hit and end up getting boarded, or their knees pinned into the board.

I hate Cherry, but even he echos the same sentiments about the responsibility of protecting yourself out there.

Turning your back to the hitter is never going to end well for you... ever. Your best chance it always going to be to take the hit and use the boards to brace yourself.
That's your stance on it and I respect that. Like I said I just think when it happens to a Penguin the rhetoric is usually along the lines of picking the footage apart in favor of Pittsburgh instead of a one off response about how players need to be more careful.

For me I just don't think it's that simple one way or the other. When you're carrying the puck you're trying to make things happen and if someone is in your way and it's possible to change directions, I don't know why you should have to worry about doing so. You should have your options limited by the other team playing well positionally and shutting off ways for you to manipulate the puck, not by the threat of getting blind sided when all you're trying to do is play hockey.

Old
10-18-2011, 11:14 AM
Lionel Hutz

Its really not that bad, but he should have let up. Totally agree Burmistov bears some of the blame but that doesn't change the fact that the league is sneding a strong message that they want guys to let up in these situations.

Heck, cookie got the message, we've seen him let up on hits like this a few times this year.

Last edited by Lionel Hutz: 10-18-2011 at 11:20 AM.
Lionel Hutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 11:22 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
For me I just don't think it's that simple one way or the other. When you're carrying the puck you're trying to make things happen and if someone is in your way and it's possible to change directions, I don't know why you should have to worry about doing so. You should have your options limited by the other team playing well positionally and shutting off ways for you to manipulate the puck, not by the threat of getting blind sided when all you're trying to do is play hockey.
You are expecting hockey utopia here... the laws of physics say otherwise.

That is all I am trying to point out.

You are responsible for your own well being on that ice - just like when you are driving a car. I assume everyone on the road is stupid and will do something dumb - it has saved my ass countless times.

I always assumed when I played that other players can be reckless and do stupid things... therefore it was my job to protect myself in all situations.

Many times a player turns his back because he is on his weaker side (skate). Ie many players in the NHL can't stop full stride on their weak side when carrying the puck... so they have to turn their back and stop on their power foot.

That is what it looks like happened here.

Old
10-18-2011, 11:27 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
You are expecting hockey utopia here... the laws of physics say otherwise.

That is all I am trying to point out.

You are responsible for your own well being on that ice - just like when you are driving a car. I assume everyone on the road is stupid and will do something dumb - it has saved my ass countless times.

I always assumed when I played that other players can be reckless and do stupid things... therefore it was my job to protect myself in all situations.

Many times a player turns his back because he is on his weaker side (skate). Ie many players in the NHL can't stop full stride on their weak side when carrying the puck... so they have to turn their back and stop on their power foot.

That is what it looks like happened here.
I dunno about utopia, I just think when you have the puck you're surveying the ice, looking for lanes to pass, skate, or shoot, and avoiding legal contact. On top of that you have to worry about when you can turn this way and that? I think that's where the onus starts to go on the opposing player. Again the argument that the puck carrier can only be in certain parts of the ice at certain times because a defender can't show the least bit restraint just doesn't seem logical to me.

Old
10-18-2011, 11:28 AM
Sideline

I just remembered Samuelsson getting pasted on a very similar play in the preseason. I don't think many people were crying suspension on that hit.

Old
10-18-2011, 11:34 AM
peskypenguin4

I'm glad Burmistrov wasn't hurt on the play. It looked a lot worse than it actually was.

I'm kind of in the middle on this play. It's boarding for sure but I don't know if it warrants more than the two minute penalty. Letang has to learn to let up there, even though Burmistrov put himself in an awkward position. I'll be okay as long as it's only a 1-2 game suspension. I feel like it could go either way on this one.

Anyone know if there was a similar play this year so far and what suspension that player got?

peskypenguin4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 11:39 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
I dunno about utopia, I just think when you have the puck you're surveying the ice, looking for lanes to pass, skate, or shoot, and avoiding legal contact. On top of that you have to worry about when you can turn this way and that? I think that's where the onus starts to go on the opposing player. Again the argument that the puck carrier can only be in certain parts of the ice at certain times because a defender can't show the least bit restraint just doesn't seem logical to me.
If you don't want to get hit, don't play hockey.

That is the point of hitting... to make the puck carrier worry and make a mistake. Yeah in a utopian sport dirty hits would never happen... but players are so fast today it is bound to happen. You can give out all the suspensions you want, but at some point players have to get back to basics as well.

Think about it... Do you ever see football players turning their backs as a hit is about to come?

Keep square and absorb the hit, or maybe go play baseball instead I suppose.

You don't have to be a mental giant or play this game for long, to realize that turning your back on a hit is almost always going to end up badly for you.

Maybe the league needs to sit the players down and let them watch footage of AO to see how to take a hit... worth a shot.

Old
10-18-2011, 11:48 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
If you don't want to get hit, don't play hockey.

That is the point of hitting... to make the puck carrier worry and make a mistake. Yeah in a utopian sport dirty hits would never happen... but players are so fast today it is bound to happen. You can give out all the suspensions you want, but at some point players have to get back to basics as well.

Think about it... Do you ever see football players turning their backs as a hit is about to come?

Keep square and absorb the hit, or maybe go play baseball instead I suppose.

You don't have to be a mental giant or play this game for long, to realize that turning your back on a hit is almost always going to end up badly for you.

Maybe the league needs to sit the players down and let them watch footage of AO to see how to take a hit... worth a shot.
Yes that is the point of legal hitting but hitting from behind is not legal and u don't have to be a mental giant to understand why that is either. You're right its still going to happen at times. I'm not claiming there's a way to eradicate dangerous hits completely. At the same time you have to punish guys at least with a penalty. The AO thing doesn't really hold water. Yeah if every player was 230 lbs and built like a tank obviously this isn't as much of a problem but they aren't.