ORANJE 4 LYFE

vCash: 500
AB De Villiers put on a show today.

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 10:06 AM
WPGNYRFan

vCash: 50
Great game last night between the Royals and the Pune Warriors! I thought for sure it was over before the Royals even got to bat but they managed to pull it off! Shane Watson is fast becoming a favorite player of mine (although he didn't do so well last night)!

WPGNYRFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 11:51 AM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Just when I thought Bangladesh was pulling their heads out of their *****, they go and embarrass themselves in Zimbabwe.

Sigh

Old
05-13-2013, 03:22 AM
WPGNYRFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
Just when I thought Bangladesh was pulling their heads out of their *****, they go and embarrass themselves in Zimbabwe.

Sigh

Where do you watch your games? I've just been watching the IPL because it's being shown on several of the channels here, but I haven't seen any other leagues on any of my channels. Is there a good site online?

I've really been enjoying this t20 cricket so far, sad it's almost over but it looks like my Royals have a good shot at making the Champions League in September. How do RCB ever lose games with a beast like Gayle playing for them? I guess you just have to bowl him out before he can do major damage.

I pretty much completely understand everything that's going on now, although I'm still trying to figure out what they mean when they talk about slips and gullies. I know it's defensive positioning but I'm not quite sure where. I think I'm still using some of the cricket terms slightly wrong, but that'll change in time I'm sure.

Nice, RR has just gotten three wickets in the last ten deliveries! They're playing the Super Kings, who are in first right now.

Is it possible to buy jerseys or shirts for the IPL? I've tried looking, but I haven't found anything yet and I don't think I see any in the stands, so I'm wondering if they just don't do that like they do with the sports over here. Or maybe I'm just blind, who knows?

Edit: Lol, never mind on the jersey thing, I just went and did a generic search and found what I wanted. I had been searching specific local store websites here with no luck.

Old
05-13-2013, 03:55 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Send a message via MSN to Morozov
I'm in New Zealand so we get a decent swag of Cricket on TV but there's definitely a lot of streaming sites about that play it, I'm not sure what HF's rules are for posting stream links now, but yeah there's plenty out there

"Slips" are the fielders next to the wicket keeper. If you start watching test match Cricket instead of t20 you will see regularly multiple players fielding in the slips because Test Cricket is much more focussed on trying to take wickets rather than restricting runs because the batsman can just block, block, block all day if they like so you have extra slips in trying to get catches from the balls that come of the edge of the bat. Gully is like further around and more square to the batsman, easier just to show you with this

Now that you have a strong grasp of t20 Cricket, you'll have to start figuring out 50 over and then Test Match Cricket they don't really have leagues for that like the IPL, the big games are international games instead. There's the Ashes test match series coming up soon which is a major thing on the Test Cricket calendar with England and Australia so that's a great one to tune in for.

Although t20 is hugely popular, it's test match Cricket that is the highest standard of the game, but a lot less interesting for the casual viewer.

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2013, 04:15 AM
WPGNYRFan

Great post, helped a lot, thanks! I don't think it will bother me at all if it's not as interesting for a casual viewer, because I'm well and truly hooked now. . I honestly think cricket has jumped up into being my second favorite overall sport, the first I'm sure you can guess considering what site we're currently on and where I live.

Old
05-13-2013, 04:31 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

A really good game of Test Cricket can be quite enthralling, even when it does end up in a draw and if you can appreciate the skill required then you'll see that there is much more skill involved and why t20 is thought of as more "hit and giggle".

t20 Cricket you only have 20 overs so they go out and belt it, sure they block it on occasion etc but the point is to score quickly.

Test Cricket because there's 5 days there's generally not much of a hurry. You'll see Batsman block out or leave the ball for entire overs regularly without even trying to score, waiting until they get a ball that they deem worth playing at. Getting a maiden (0 runs off the over) is pretty huge in t20 but in Test Cricket that happens all the time. It's a much better life being a bowler in Test Cricket than in t20, you won't generally see someone go all Gayle or Watson.

Old
05-13-2013, 04:45 AM
WPGNYRFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
A really good game of Test Cricket can be quite enthralling, even when it does end up in a draw and if you can appreciate the skill required then you'll see that there is much more skill involved and why t20 is thought of as more "hit and giggle".

t20 Cricket you only have 20 overs so they go out and belt it, sure they block it on occasion etc but the point is to score quickly.

Test Cricket because there's 5 days there's generally not much of a hurry. You'll see Batsman block out or leave the ball for entire overs regularly without even trying to score, waiting until they get a ball that they deem worth playing at. Getting a maiden (0 runs off the over) is pretty huge in t20 but in Test Cricket that happens all the time. It's a much better life being a bowler in Test Cricket than in t20, you won't generally see someone go all Gayle or Watson.
Yeah, I've only seen one maiden so far in all the matches I've watched so far. I can't wait to take a look at some 50 and test! My wife tried watching some t20 with me, but she said its just a faster paced baseball, which she hates.

I'm watching RR chase a fairly low target set by CSK, but they only had 47 runs after 10 overs and I was thinking theres no way they were going to make up that poor first 10, but all of a sudden Watson and Binny are just smacking 6 after 6! It's amazing to watch! 82 runs off the last 34 balls!

Last edited by WPGNYRFan: 05-13-2013 at 04:58 AM.
Old
05-15-2013, 10:35 AM
villevalo

Don't think I've seen an incident like the Parnell/Pathan one in the Kolkata V Pune game.

A definite dismissal for Pathan, I don't know why he was so livid, he kicked the ball. But I thought Parnell was a bit lucky, I definitely thought there was a intentional obstruction/push going on there.

villevalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:42 AM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Guys, check the OP for streams. I put it right at the end a while ago. These are not HQ streams, but they are the ones which show almost all the cricket in the international and IPL circuit. If anyone of you get a better stream, please share.

I like T20 cricket, but the IPL seems extremely gimmicky to me with their lame ass late night show mocks and etc.

As Morozov has said, do catch the Ashes if you are liking cricket so far. Australia v England is the most storied rivalry in cricket, and test cricket is pretty fun to watch if you just wanna chill out. I've only attended one in my life - Bangladesh's inaugural test against India, towards the end of day 3. The next time I go there or to England, I wanna go to one for the full day. Should be a great way to kick back and take it slow.

Old
05-16-2013, 09:17 AM
darko

Ashes wont be fun to watch this time around. I predict a white wash. This could turn out just as bad as the Indian tour.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 10:11 AM
villevalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Ashes wont be fun to watch this time around. I predict a white wash. This could turn out just as bad as the Indian tour.
It'll be an England win but I doubt it'll be a white wash, you guys will step it up far more than you did against India.

What I predict is that it'll be the poorest Ashes in a long time, both sides are far from great.

I don't particularly watch test match cricket other than the Ashes but honestly I might not bother this time round.

villevalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 10:32 AM
darko

We are still suspect against swing. If it was down here I'd fancy our chances. I can see it being a long summer.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 01:30 AM
CycloneLaunch

New Zealand at Lords, i'm going to be in heaven if this goes 5 days.

CycloneLaunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 10:02 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Gilchrist took a wicket today LOL

Old
05-25-2013, 11:38 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

CSK's record is just incredible.

Old
05-26-2013, 07:24 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

If you guys were to pick an all-world ODI squad (11 starters + 4 bench), what would it look like?

Mine would be the following:

Gayle
Amla
Kohli
Cook
AB de Villiers
Dhoni (WK) (C)
Shakib Al Hasan
Finn
Ajmal
M Morkel
Steyn

Watson (All )
Sangakkara (WK)
McKay (Bowl)
Tsotsobe (Bowl)

Old
05-28-2013, 04:02 PM
Elever
Hth

I'd like to buy a good cricket book as a little gift for someone from amazon.ca. Does anyone know of a good one? Something similar to Brian McFarlane's History of Hockey or 100 Greatest Hockey Players etc....something general relating to cricket history.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 12:22 AM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Guptill in beast mode

Old
06-03-2013, 12:24 AM
Hurt

Monster score by New Zealand. Lots of big scores going up on England soil.

Pakistan vs South Africa today. PAK batting is abysmal and I see SA handling them easily. Just a warmup though.

06-03-2013, 09:24 AM
Hurt

Watching SA vs Pakistan. Pakistan had them at 83/7 at like ~20 overs but Duminy and McLaren saved them to end at 202/9.

Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 09:59 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Damn Hurt, didn't know you watched cricket

Old
06-03-2013, 10:27 PM
Hurt

I traveled a lot from 18-22 including a two month long trip across South Asia (Pakistan and India). Picked up cricket there and just got obsessed!

Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 01:27 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Fantastic innings from Guptill 189 not out, fifth highest ODI score of all time and the highest by a Kiwi.

Old
06-04-2013, 01:34 AM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPGNYRFan View Post
Yeah, I've only seen one maiden so far in all the matches I've watched so far. I can't wait to take a look at some 50 and test! My wife tried watching some t20 with me, but she said its just a faster paced baseball, which she hates.

I'm watching RR chase a fairly low target set by CSK, but they only had 47 runs after 10 overs and I was thinking theres no way they were going to make up that poor first 10, but all of a sudden Watson and Binny are just smacking 6 after 6! It's amazing to watch! 82 runs off the last 34 balls!
Are you new to Cricket? If so, I'm impressed with how much you have learned.

I honestly think that it is such an underrated sport in North America.

Also, kudos to Sportsnet for picking up some IPL games.

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote