HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Florida Panthers @ Washington Capitals. 10.18.2011. 7 PM. Verizon Center.

Old
10-19-2011, 08:07 AM
Devil Dancer

vCash: 500
A clinical dismantling of a decent team. The crowd was a little dead at times, but it's hard for the casual fan to get excited about a Panther getting properly boxed out, or the myriad other subtle successes the Caps had last night.

My favorite moment was the Hendricks move. That guy pulls crazy stuff out of his ass occasionally.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 08:20 AM
txpd

three games in four nights and back to back on the road is a loser situation. that florida got snuffed isnt a surprise. what i am surprised by was that the caps played a thouroughly professional game. they really didnt give florida any oxygen. they stayed patient when a bad bounce or bad call could have allowed florida into the game.

the other thing that i noticed is how good the caps can look when green, wiseman and carlson are all bringing their "A" game. Alzner was excellent, Schultz very soldi and Hamrlik fine, but the three right shot puck movers are three first pair level defenseman and one of them is always on the ice.

btw....locker mentioned a norris is in carlson's future. i have already read in the season preview writings where one guy wrote that carlson would be a norris candidate this season if green wasnt taking the pp time.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 08:46 AM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
Dominant performance. Chimera haters club crying themselves to sleep....AGAIN.
That overpaid mofo has a club? of any kind? Oh ****, we better not gloat, it's been only 5 games... if only he could do that for 82 games plus, he would really deserve that 1.75 and 2 year extension

Nice ****ing effort, pretty much from top to bottom. Glad i was wrong about the "trap game" thing...
OV's goals will come, i have no doubt about it. Bring on Philly!
Semin is just showing off with that kind of snipes, and Green... what can i say... Trade them!!!! While they still have some value!!!

Vladiator16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 08:48 AM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
btw....locker mentioned a norris is in carlson's future. i have already read in the season preview writings where one guy wrote that carlson would be a norris candidate this season if green wasnt taking the pp time.
Part of GMGM's evil plan. Keep Carlson from getting PP1 time until he signs him to a long term deal. At that point, replace Green with Carlson to try to lower the cap hit on Green's next contract. Brilliant.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 08:51 AM
txpd

i kind of think mcphee's long term plan is to try and keep all three of green carlson and wideman.

Old
10-19-2011, 08:51 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
Part of GMGM's evil plan. Keep Carlson from getting PP1 time until he signs him to a long term deal. At that point, replace Green with Carlson to try to lower the cap hit on Green's next contract. Brilliant.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 09:20 AM
NeilYoung

Team played amazing nothing really else to say seriously... Green was flying on another level, hammer had a rough spot or two but I still believe he has an extremely good influence on green. Seriously the way green controlled the transition game completely. Everyone was solid not one passenger.. Even that perratu kid brought it

NeilYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 09:24 AM
Roughing

Great game. Love to see AO net a few in the next two games.

If Hendricks scores on that it would've been an awesome goal.

Roughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 09:58 AM
BobRouse

One constant this year the Caps are far more physical than years past from top to bottom. They are driving the net, finishing checks and playing with more snarl. Its a function of both mentality as it is personnel IMO...

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 10:14 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 600
I would keep Wideman, but he has to take a discount.

Roman's contract is looking poor through 5 games.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 10:17 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
I would keep Wideman, but he has to take a discount.

Agreed on both, though I think Hamrlik turns it around. And I'm sure its a lot more valuable than we fans know to have a guy with 1400 games of NHL experience back there.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 10:17 AM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
One constant this year the Caps are far more physical than years past from top to bottom. They are driving the net, finishing checks and playing with more snarl. Its a function of both mentality as it is personnel IMO...
Our boys are growing up right in front of our eyes... :tearing up: need a handkerchief...

Vladiator16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 10:20 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
I kinda disagree.

His contact...as long as he's paired with Green...is worth every penny.

Old
10-19-2011, 10:21 AM
tycoonheart

Am I the only one who loves MP on the 4th line? That is the 2nd game with him on that line and they've looked really good.

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 10:23 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Hammer is having some growing pains playing in this system for BB for sure. But I have confidence. People have to realize that he's going to take some penalties because of his limitations. But you get so much good with the bad.

I've wanted to keep Wides since last year. Thought those who wanted him gone we way off base. However, I don't see any way he stays. I go back and forth with being okay if they decided to keep him over Green and take the "king's ransom" + extra cap space for other upgrades and roll with JC as top RH dman.... but games like last night make you go "woooo hold on".

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 10:25 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

I like MP in 10min ES time and 1:30 in PP time.... now where that fits him, if anywhere, is difficult to say. In the old days when Flash and Fehr were with him on that limited 3rd line I thought was appropriate. But it depends on what we're asking from that 4th line.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 10:30 AM
txpd

i honestly think that mcphee's plan is working as constructed. both green and schultz have veteran partners for a change. i dont think its a coincidence that both of them have stepped their games up. wideman is effectively in pothier's old role and look at the difference. a 5pt points streak.

frankly this team is really 3 or 4 ovechkin goals and some face off wins away from rolling.

consider. backstrom looks to be hitting on all cylinders. brouwer is among the league leaders in hits. semin is scoring and being responsible. johansson is producing consistantly. knuble is still knuble. the new 3rd line is working as expected with all three players earning their contracts. halpern and hendricks work well together. the d has been mentioned and vokoun has been very strong....neuvirth as well in his only game.

Old
10-19-2011, 10:31 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

I thought MP on the 4th line looked great last night, but he was the worst player on the ice the other game he was on the 4th line.

But that inconsistency is probably par for the course for him.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 10:33 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
I like MP in 10min ES time and 1:30 in PP time.... now where that fits him, if anywhere, is difficult to say. In the old days when Flash and Fehr were with him on that limited 3rd line I thought was appropriate. But it depends on what we're asking from that 4th line.
could it be where he was last night depending on opposition is best for him? both halpern and hendricks have the hands to take advantage of his playmaking and the wheels to keep up with him. maybe playing a part time schedule fits game as well.

he's there to replace an injury to one of the three other centers. he can sit and rest when king or beagle need to play based on game plan.

ya think?

Old
10-19-2011, 10:35 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Didn't most of us suspect that Hammer would take some heat? He's Green with 10 more years of experience minus the top end offense.

I said it before....mind blowing blunders from time to time....but he's a steadying influence for Green IMO.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 10:36 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Wideman so far....living up to the billing that I suggested he would and a lot of others scoffed at.

Old
10-19-2011, 10:39 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

MP's spot is screaming for Eakin at some point this season.

Old
10-19-2011, 10:50 AM
Fallschirmyager

Quote:
Wideman so far....living up to the billing that I suggested he would and a lot of others scoffed at.
This off seasons contracts for the D are going to be interesting. Green and Carlson are both RFA and Wideman is UFA.

Granted it's 5 games in but all 3 are playing well. Carlson most certainly will get a hefty raise and deserves it. That begs the question, what will Green and Wideman want?

Fallschirmyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 11:09 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

I see Green's being a problem. Unless his elite offense returns, he's not deserving of a raise, much less the same salary he's getting now. That will likely cause some heartache.

Old
10-19-2011, 11:17 AM
txpd

Quote:
Didn't most of us suspect that Hammer would take some heat? He's Green with 10 more years of experience minus the top end offense.

I said it before....mind blowing blunders from time to time....but he's a steadying influence for Green IMO.
* Hamrlik is Tom Poti. An offensive defenseman that has become a reliable defensive defenseman as he has aged and given back some of his offensive skills.

* Wideman is know for brain fade. Passing the puck straight up the slot from behind his own net straight to the tape of the opposition. He did that last night.

* As long as Perreault doesnt have an every game slot in the lineup, he is not in Eakin's spot. Perreault is TFS at forward right now.

* I think Green's elite offensive game has returned. The one timer he had last night was a prime example. It just didnt go in.

* I would guess that Green will get another 5 year contract without a significant raise. Wideman will get a two year contract. More if he is willing to take less. He has moved around and only Boston was a good fit for him. This team is a good fit for him and i think he knows the value of that now.

Last edited by txpd: 10-19-2011 at 11:24 AM.