HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Florida Panthers @ Washington Capitals. 10.18.2011. 7 PM. Verizon Center.

Old
10-19-2011, 09:15 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 600
4 First Rounders looks awful good with the cap savings.

I think Green is special. That said, if he wants 6 or 7 in cap, and isn't willing to give a bit, I might have to think long and hard about moving him at the draft for a package. Note, i don't want him gone, but I think it might make the most tactical sense for keeping this sucker running smoothly. At some point, they're going to have to pick 4 or 5 guys they really want to keep, and I don't know if Mike's a guy you're putting in that Backstrom/Ovechkin level commitment group.

Especially if you think Orlov's the real deal, and Carlson and Alzner keep their trajectory.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 09:30 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

vCash: 500
A team will trade before they give up four firsts. But still maybe 2 firsts and a good young roster forward. A knuble replacement winger would be nice.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 09:40 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

If Greenie reaches his potential - 30, 60 with top 4, d-no return is worth it. I personally don't think he has it in him, but ill give him 1 more year.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 10:27 PM
Fallschirmyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
If Greenie reaches his potential - 30, 60 with top 4, d-no return is worth it. I personally don't think he has it in him, but ill give him 1 more year.
He'll get his year. This year to be exact. Any combo of bad year, bad playoff year or asking for too much money result in the same thing. He's available.

The 2012 draft is supposed to be a very deep draft with lots of top notch talent available. If Green is asking too much, as defined as we don't want/can't pay that much, then we have to consider not only letting him walk via offer sheet and take the picks, but also put him and the 2 1sts we have this year on the available list to move way up to get that impact player.

Fallschirmyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 10:41 PM
Halpysback

With Carlson and Wideman, and Orlov looking like the real deal he certainly is more expendable than he would be otherwise, even though the team would take a hit on puck movement. But if he plays like a 6 million player I'd much rather let some team overpay for his rights than keep him for that much. Could yield Kessel trade type dividends for us.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 11:12 PM
Fallschirmyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
With Carlson and Wideman, and Orlov looking like the real deal he certainly is more expendable than he would be otherwise, even though the team would take a hit on puck movement. But if he plays like a 6 million player I'd much rather let some team overpay for his rights than keep him for that much. Could yield Kessel trade type dividends for us.
Or better. By the time the draft rolls around, we'll know a lot more about the situation. If his salary demands are too high then he's available along with those 1sts to try to get into the top 5. Greens play and his salary demands will dictate how we handle the situation.

Fallschirmyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 02:26 AM
Dirtbag59

I really want us to win the cup this year mainly because besides the obvious reasons for wanting to win it we're getting to the point where we'll end up trying to keep players we can't afford longer then we should, and in turn risk loosing more promising young players like Carlson long term or loose the flexibility to add depth and character players like Ward and Brouwer through free agency and trades in the future.

A cup win this year would get everyones heads on straight and allow us to start getting ready for the next generation that includes the likes of Orlov, Kuzy, Eakin, Holtby and whoever we end up with in the 2012 draft, assuming we get an early enough pick.

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 08:29 AM
txpd

mcphee has managed his salary cap with the idea of keeping his team together. my guess is that he has a cap plan already on his board with fishman where he keeps both semin and green. that might mean losing wideman, but mcphee had already commented that he had budgeted for a defenseman in wideman's price range for this season before he considered trading for wideman last season.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 02:21 PM
TRASHCAT

Wouldnt be surprised if this was the best team the caps could field for awhile.

TRASHCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 02:34 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Well, he likely has a plan that includes Semin and another that does not include Semin. He's not assuming it as a matter of course, though. All kinds of uncertainty exists there.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 03:14 PM
txpd

i think plan A is for semin to get it and for him to stay. thats how things workout best. if he doesnt get it, mcphee will adjust. as i watch them play this season, i can see where by january that semin is the leading scorer on his way to 40+ goals and ovechkin still not recovering his scoring touch of old.

its not my leaning at this point, but its a consideration. semin is still getting his chances to snipe. ovechkin seems to be reduced to scoring at close range with his strenth. if that continues, having semin not work out could really hurt.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 05:37 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

I think relationships between McPhee and Green are healthy enough to provide us with hometown discount like... ~6M annually for Green, no more.

If he is healthy enough, of course (and effective).

That's tough to pass for me. I think Wideman will fail if given #1 spot over Green (with any salary). So it's better to pay a little bit more to Green than keep Wideman. 1-1,5M of a difference isn't that much.

That's how I feel it should end: Carlson 3,5-4M, Green 5,5-6M, Orlov in the roster, Wideman UFA after playing here till the end of playoffs.

Raikkonen is offline   Reply With Quote