HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Bobrovsky Interview to "Sovetskiy Sport" 10/17/2011

Old
10-19-2011, 07:25 PM
CSKA1974

vCash: 500
Bobrovsky Interview to "Sovetskiy Sport" 10/17/2011

This interview took place in South Jersey prior to the trip to Canada. It migh shed some light on Bob's dissatisfaction after the game.

As always, I attempted to keep the style of the interview:

Bobrovsky: I have blinders like a horse
Interview To: Sovetskiy Sport” on 10/17/2011

Q: Aren’t you getting cold sitting on the bench?

A: I dress warmly!

Q: But seriously…

A: Everything is OK so far. I am not fixated on who is #1 goalie in Philadelphia. The season is still very young and it’s a very long one. No doubt, I am not satisfied with #2 role. But I will continue to work hard and will wait for my chance.

Q: You said last year that had not you made it in the NHL you would have returned to Russia. You would not play in a farm- club. What’s better for you right now: to play a lot of games in the AHL or sit on the bench behind Bryzgalov?

A: First of all, I have never made such a statement. I only said that playing in Russia was a possibility. As for farm-club… You know, I do not think there is that much difference between Bryzgalov and me. I will play in Philadelphia. And will do my best to earn my spot. The decisions lie with the general manager. I can only prove my worth with my game. The situation is really very simple. We have a new goalie and I compete with him to be # 1.

Q: You had great relationship with your back-up (Boucher) last year. He encouraged you and mentored you. It’s my understanding that your relationships with Iliya are quite different. He had stated to “Sovetskiy Sport” that he will not impose his experience on you, but will not deny you if you ask.

A: We have strictly professional relationship with Iliya. We do talk to each other. We do not compete in life. But on the ice, in the game I will not yield easy.” Frankly, I do not pay attention to the circumstances. I have blinders like a horse- only forward, only toward the target. My shape? I have not become rusty sitting on the bench. I feel great. I had similar situation in Novokuznetsk. I had not played for 3-4 months for no reason. I do not think that will happen in Philadelphia.

Q: Perhaps you will be playing this week?

A: You see, not everything is in my hands. Most important is that the team wins.

“Olga is coming, but I am leaving for Canada”

Q: Has your wife come yet?

A: No, not yet. She left Novokuznetsk on Sunday and is flying out of Moscow on Monday.

Q: Will you go to the airport to meet her?

A: No, I am going to Ottawa. Last season, when Olga did not have visa, she would wait for me in Canadian cities. This time I am going to Canada.

Q: Will she have language barrier?

A: Not at all. Olga is fluent in English. She translates every time we leave for a vacation. She is English teacher by education. I can’t wait till she comes! We have been struggling with that for a year! It certainly affected me. We would only communicate via Skype.

Q: Will that distract you from hockey?

A: Not at all. We have been together for a long time. We did not get married for a visa. In addition, I am not in a position to be distracted.

Last edited by CSKA1974: 10-19-2011 at 08:23 PM.
CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 08:06 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
You know, I do not think there is that much difference between Bryzgalov and me.

Interesting.

Damaged Goods is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 09:54 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

This is why I think he'll play an upwards of 25-30 games. He wants to, and he's competing for a spot...though he probably won't win. It's in the team's best interest to keep him happy.

Schedules across the league are really strange this year with Winnipeg being in the "Southeast," and there are a lot of back to back game, plus I see no reason to overwork Bryzgalov. It's wonderful having 2 very good goalies.

As always, thanks for posting that

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 10:00 PM
Broad st phantom

I find it interesting, I'd like to see how Bobs determination will lead him this season.

Broad st phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 10:00 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Thanks! Very insightful.....don't envy Lavy...he's going to HEFF to walk a tightrope with keeping Bob from feeling under appreciated. Bob needs to play 20 or so games but he will have to earn it and shouldn't be by default. If he sours for some reason as the season goes on..well might have to move him at the deadline which I would hate to do but we have Bryz and unless he turns into Leighton or there is an injury he's the number 1 as much as Bob thinks he's number 1.....just reality.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 10:03 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
How's Bob's english coming along?

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 10:08 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 50
Thanks for doing this CSKA.

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 10:09 PM
Claude28Giroux
praiseG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Well if he starts living with his wife who is fluent then it should shape up.

Claude28Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 10:19 PM
Ironmanrulez
Rookie Mistake

thx again CSKA for your work!

It explains the reaction by bob after the Ottawa game. He shows really dissatisfied after the end of the horn. Giroux try to stop him leaving the ice, but he skates apart from the ice after celebrating the victory.

Do you guys think that is a good thing or is he a bit over the hill?

Ironmanrulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 10:19 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1161
Quote:
http://phillysportsdaily.com/flyers/...inst-senators/

Quote:
Bobrovsky has been working on his English, but says he didnít take classes. He learned by watching TV and talking to his teammates in the locker room. But whether heís chatting or practicing, itís clear the work ethic is there for Bobrovsky to not only improve with the native tongue, but to stay sharp on the ice.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 10:20 PM
SgtJoseph

I really like this lads attitude ! It alone will carry him far in the NHL....Thanks for posting this for us !

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 10:24 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Right now I think it's limited mostly to curse words at Bryz.....

This situation reminds me a bit of Frosty (Froese) and Lindbergh....

a bit of throwback history below for those who weren't around to remember it....although we can do without any tragedy....

Yup call me Dr Phil..don't give a crap b/c this kind of insight is important in understanding a backup goalie's psyche when they have to prove themselves constantly which Bob is now having to do...

Enjoy or don't enjoy.....

Quote:
Excerpt from : Bob Froese With His Role Suddenly Changed, Flyers' Goalie Deflects All Doubts

The Flyers made room for Lindbergh by trading Pete Peeters. That at least meant the Maine job belonged to Froese. In January 1983 came Froese's big break, and it coincided with a broken navicular bone in Lindbergh's left hand. Froese surprised the Flyers by going 13-2 in the emergency. When the playoffs began, Lindbergh was still the goalie.

When Lindbergh stumbled through a miserable sophomore season, Froese won 31 games. And yet when a new coach, Mike Keenan, took over in 1984-85, Lindbergh was given the job back. Lindbergh ran with it all the way to the Stanley Cup finals and the Vezina Trophy.

"I had to take my hat off to him," Froese said. And Lindbergh, perhaps finally feeling secure, let his guard down.

"Most of the team was out together, it was after a playoff game," Froese said. "We were sitting together and we started complimenting each other. We talked about each other's strong points. It was the first time we ever completely let our guards down.

"We stripped ourselves. I'm so glad we did. We got along real good after that."

Still, the accommodation Froese reached with his rival before Lindbergh's death was more easily accomplished than one he would have to reach with himself afterward. As a backup, he was expected to say he wanted to play and had managed to convince himself that he deserved it. But did he really yearn for it, especially in a high-pressure situation such as Philadelphia's? Froese was about to be challenged to find out just how honest he had been with himself.

It always had bothered Froese to be complimented on how he could come into a game cold and play well. To Froese, it merely reinforced his being typecast as a backup.

Still, the assessment was not only true but, in its own way, comforting to him. When the terrible burden of replacing a Vezina Trophy winner fell upon Froese, Keenan undertook what he believed to be a necessary psychological reconstruction of his new starting goalie.

Truth is, what Froese had been doing was a lot more difficult physically than it was mentally. The backup job comes with a built-in excuse. How can I be sharp playing one game out of four? I just did the best I could and the guys played great around me.

Continue: http://articles.philly.com/1986-10-0...e-s-bob-froese
PS: No pimping of my post by Panaccio or Meltzer..lol

Last edited by FreshPerspective: 10-19-2011 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Site rules regarding excerpts
Old
10-19-2011, 10:45 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmanrulez View Post

Do you guys think that is a good thing or is he a bit over the hill?

Do you mean over the top? What Bob did?

I would say no (shows he cares a lot which I commend) but if it becomes a trend then he might need some intervention. Good to be competitive but has to keep things in perspective IMO....just a bit odd to bolt off the ice like that unless nature calls.

Old
10-20-2011, 06:51 PM
Ironmanrulez
Rookie Mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
Do you mean over the top? What Bob did?

I would say no (shows he cares a lot which I commend) but if it becomes a trend then he might need some intervention. Good to be competitive but has to keep things in perspective IMO....just a bit odd to bolt off the ice like that unless nature calls.
You explain it as i want it to say ;D

But my english is not good enough.

I feel bad for Bob! I really like him and will always like him. If he move to another franchise i will look his games as much as possible! But i hope he stays with our franchise until his contract ends after next season! And please win a cup with us this or the next year

Ironmanrulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 07:30 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmanrulez View Post
You explain it as i want it to say ;D

But my english is not good enough.

I feel bad for Bob! I really like him and will always like him. If he move to another franchise i will look his games as much as possible! But i hope he stays with our franchise until his contract ends after next season! And please win a cup with us this or the next year
Hey no problem...I have foreign parents...I am used to deciphering.

Would like Bob to stay too