HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Bonk versus Sundin and Thornton

Closed Thread

Old
08-31-2004, 02:41 PM
Gros Bill

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie
Not many players can shut down Sundin. He's one of those players who really use their size efficiently. As good as Bonk may be, I don't think that he will be able to just shut down Sundin, time after time. That's just asking way too much from him.
That's why hockey is a team game, I guess.

Old
08-31-2004, 02:49 PM
Pinto
Burn Them All

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepNCheese
Bah.

Bonk never did anything to stop Sundin, I don't know what those other guys are talking about.

The only guy I've seen lock down Mats to any large degree is Bobby Holik, and that was a few years ago now.
Agreed. The only people i can think of that REALLY get under Sundin's skin are Holik, Kasparitis and Kenny Johnsson (sp?)

Old
08-31-2004, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinto
Agreed. The only people i can think of that REALLY get under Sundin's skin are Holik, Kasparitis and Kenny Johnsson (sp?)
I've noticed that Andrei Markov irks Sundin quite a bit, i'm not saying he shuts him down or anything close to that, but i've noticed Sundin get quite frustrated with Markov on a few occasions...

As for the whole debate, I don't think we need Bonk to shut down the Sundin's, Primeau's and Thornton's of this world, we just need a bigger body presence to lean against these players and give them a bit more work to do on both ends of the ice...

Old
08-31-2004, 05:05 PM
Shabutie

I think Komi and Sourray would be our best chances to "shut-down" sundin-like players.

Old
08-31-2004, 10:50 PM
Squeaky

I think the term "shut-down" has been thrown around more than enough already. Bonk may not shut-down the Sundins of the world, but he's big and strong enough that Sundin will not dominate him the way he does some smaller players. That's the advantaeg of having Bonk around, he can check the big boys. Nobody will stop Sundin entirely if he's healthy, Sundin is a fantastic player, but I feel much, much better with a guy like Bonk checking him than a guy like Juneau, and I think we can all agree to that.

Old
08-31-2004, 10:59 PM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill
If only one player has ever managed to lock down Sundin, and that was "a few years ago", who has shut him down in all the years since ? By your reasoning, it can only be Sundin himself. So he is quite some player, shutting down one of the league's premier talents, namely himself. Q.E.D.

For my next trick, watch me pull a hypotenuse out of my hat.
Well, it won't be impressive as that crap you just pulled out of your arse.

Who has shut him down? Good question, because you can't really tell from his excellent playoff numbers, can you?

Old
09-01-2004, 07:52 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Well, it won't be impressive as that crap you just pulled out of your arse.

Who has shut him down? Good question, because you can't really tell from his excellent playoff numbers, can you?
Good one

Old
09-01-2004, 08:45 AM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill
Good one

GP: 83 G: 35 A: 39 74 pts.

Does that look like shut down to you?

Wow, you're really winning this argument, genius.

:lol

Old
09-01-2004, 09:00 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:

GP: 83 G: 35 A: 39 74 pts.

Does that look like shut down to you?

Wow, you're really winning this argument, genius.

:lol
Man o man, I didn't even know we were having an argument, let alone that I was winning it, but at least you recognize my genius. Thank you.

BTW, that " good one" was sincere, I was laughing at that joke you made (the hypotenuse pulled out of my hat better than the crap pulled out of my ass - I thought that was funny, that's all). I guess your humour is lost on yourself.

Yes, St-Mats is a good player, one of the best in the league. The Leafs will surely, one day, win a championship with him as captain. Feel better now?

Old
09-02-2004, 05:57 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

The thing with a player like Sundin is for the most part, you can't shut him down. You just try your best to contain him and hope he doesn't rack up a bunch of points. If Bonk can contain Sundin were he only gets a point, he's done a good job.

Old
09-03-2004, 04:20 AM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 TO MTL
I've noticed that Andrei Markov irks Sundin quite a bit, i'm not saying he shuts him down or anything close to that, but i've noticed Sundin get quite frustrated with Markov on a few occasions...

As for the whole debate, I don't think we need Bonk to shut down the Sundin's, Primeau's and Thornton's of this world, we just need a bigger body presence to lean against these players and give them a bit more work to do on both ends of the ice...
True... I completely agree with you here... Markov is absolutely the most underrated pest we have on our team, the thing is with him...Is that his offensive potential masks all the small things he does in a game (IMO Markov is one of the upper echelon of defencemen who know how to use a stick) He gets his small hooks, and nudges that throw off the opposition, because he can do it so well (His first season, I remember him notoriously using the blade of his stick to get a light hook and put it underneath opposition's arm, so that he can leap frog his way to the puck first... It was due to his lack of footspeed (he has really improved on that last year and 1/4). He doesn't have the intimidation or anything, but he does have the poise to play smart defensive hockey when he'sd on... Ultimately he will beat out Souray for the #1 role because of this IMO.

Also, with Bonk, I agree that he was added to increase size and strength on the third line... We needed more offensive input from our lower lines (which was all to obvious last year) esp. in order to keep the third line intact, playing 18-20 minutes a game, size REALLY put a damper on our team late in the games... Now Bonk may not be a great shadow, but he's very intelligent, and knows defence, as well as (hopefully) contributing a 40 + point season from the third line (I think it's more than capable, with PP time, and the 18 minutes of ice time he'll probably garner)...

As for the talk of Jimmy Dowd coming back, I'd have to agree with him returning, he'd center the fourth, and make a AWESOME energy line with Begin and Ward, Plus he has an underestimated playmaking ability, which would help us see more of what both Ward and Begin are capable of... offensively

Old
09-04-2004, 12:28 PM
Rather Gingerly 1*

Is Bonk playing in the World Cup?

Old
09-04-2004, 12:29 PM
Rather Gingerly 1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1
As for the talk of Jimmy Dowd coming back, I'd have to agree with him returning, he'd center the fourth, and make a AWESOME energy line with Begin and Ward, Plus he has an underestimated playmaking ability, which would help us see more of what both Ward and Begin are capable of... offensively
Higgins can take Dowd's place

Old
09-04-2004, 01:27 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rather Gingerly 1
Higgins can take Dowd's place
There is little point of placing Higgins on the squad if he can only make the fourth line... I'd prefer he lead the Bulldogs to a strong season playing first liner minutes (he doesn't have to clear waivers) then get his chances if there is a sudden injury than have him play 7-10 minutes a night.He has offensive potential. He won't reach it by playing on the grinder line.

Old
09-04-2004, 04:06 PM
Rather Gingerly 1*

Quote:
There is little point of placing Higgins on the squad if he can only make the fourth line... I'd prefer he lead the Bulldogs to a strong season playing first liner minutes (he doesn't have to clear waivers) then get his chances if there is a sudden injury than have him play 7-10 minutes a night.He has offensive potential. He won't reach it by playing on the grinder line.
Higgins has done all he can do in the AHL. There is no room for him on the first three lines in Montreal. Because they will be filled by Koivu, Riberio and Bonk.

It is time to start breaking Higgins into the NHL.....albeit should be slowly.

Old
09-04-2004, 04:51 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Higgins has done all he can do in the AHL. There is no room for him on the first three lines in Montreal. Because they will be filled by Koivu, Riberio and Bonk.

It is time to start breaking Higgins into the NHL.....albeit should be slowly.
I think it could be time to work Plekanec in to the line up now over Higgins... Higgins was worn out in last year's playoff run (and got tired down the stretch as well)... I think a 1/2 season out of Higgs wouldn't be too bad (if he covered injuries) but Tomas has rightfully deserved his chance at the show first. Regardless, it is cool we have so many prospects that can take that role (Gainey could keep Perezhogin around and have him and Dag's switch up... AK could take a role from somebody potentially...) so many options... That is the best position we can be in

Old
09-05-2004, 07:27 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
I think it could be time to work Plekanec in to the line up now over Higgins... Higgins was worn out in last year's playoff run (and got tired down the stretch as well)... I think a 1/2 season out of Higgs wouldn't be too bad (if he covered injuries) but Tomas has rightfully deserved his chance at the show first. Regardless, it is cool we have so many prospects that can take that role (Gainey could keep Perezhogin around and have him and Dag's switch up... AK could take a role from somebody potentially...) so many options... That is the best position we can be in
Exactly right on the Higgins front. Higgins needs a full AHL or NHL season getting at least 15-18 minutes a game. He wore down at the end and being a former college player i would say if he doesn't crack the second line send him to hamilton where he can build his endurance over the long season. Pleks is the one who has little left to learn in Hamilton and should take the 4th line spot if that is the only one left. If they are competing for the second/third line spot it should be open to both in camp though.
This wealth of prospects ensures the only additional forwards that we will see montreal pick up will probably be a 1st line winger (kovalev, please) and possibly an enforcer. Depth guys like dowd and green might sound nice, but we have no room for them on the roster right now. I don't want to turn this into a who will your lines be thread but just look at it:

Zednick - Koivu - Kovalev (or other UFA winger)
****** - Ribeiro - Ryder
Bulis - Bonk - ^^^^^^
Enforcer/###### - Begin - @@@@@@

******* = Dagenais/Hossa/Higgins/Plekanec/Perezhogin/Kostitsyn camp battle
^^^^^^ = Sundstrom/Ward/Hossa/Higgins/Plekanec/Perezhogin camp battle
####### and @@@@@@ = Dagenais/Hossa/Plekanec/Sundstrom camp battle

with 8 total guys going for 4 spots, there is no room for dowd too.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 09-05-2004 at 07:34 AM.
Old
09-05-2004, 10:21 AM
Rather Gingerly 1*

Quote:
Is Bonk playing in the World Cup?
Nobody Knows??

Old
09-05-2004, 10:30 AM
HappyFan

Quote:
Nobody Knows??
No he's not. Not sure if he declined or wasn't invited though...

Old
09-05-2004, 03:19 PM
Rather Gingerly 1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFan
Kind of surprising?

Considering Bonk's hype on this board!!

Old
09-05-2004, 03:24 PM
x-bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFan
I think he wasn't invited but I don't know why. I haven't heard much about it

Old
09-06-2004, 05:30 AM
Rather Gingerly 1*

Sounds like the Bonk trade is a prelude to a bigger deal. Possibly, a blockbuster to acquire a franchise player at another position. With Higgins, Plenacek and Chipchura coming in the future. I can't see Koivu or Riberio being traded. Koivu with his recent play in the playoffs and World Cup. Riberio being a locale and still developing. There's a logjam in the near future.

Old
09-10-2004, 02:21 AM
Rather Gingerly 1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bob
I think he wasn't invited but I don't know why. I haven't heard much about it
I think because Bonk has a history of not being a money player. And, the World Cup is a short, pressure situation. They may have decided on somebody else

Closed Thread