HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Our D-situation after Guds 9 games

Old
10-18-2011, 01:18 PM
Gudbranson44

vCash: 500
Our D-situation after Guds 9 games

Right now Gudbranson is playing very well for us and judging by his play so far it would be foolish to send him back to kingston. He belongs in the NHL, and those few rookie mistakes he has committed will eventually stop after continued mentoring by jovocop when he has adjusted to the speed a bit more.

Lets say he does stick with the big club, that means we have 6 players on 1-way contracts plus gudbranson.

Campbell-Garrison
JovoCop-Gudbranson
Weaver-Kulikov
Ellerby

Are we going to keep 7 dmen on the roster (IIRC we historically dont keep healthy scratches for more than just precautionary situations if someone is day-to-day)? Will we see a trade, and if yes who is the odd man out?

I will go ahead and say that he makes it, and we rotate him, ellerby and weaver. I am not ready to give up on ellerby, I think he deserves a good shot with the big club.
If someone is to be traded, im leaning towards weaver (and that hurts to say because I love his defensive play and what he brings to our PK). I dont see any one else possibly being dealt than those two.

What do you guys think will happen? Will Guds be sent back just because of the situation (since we have a lot of capable depth in SA)?

Gudbranson44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 01:22 PM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisournextbure View Post
Right now Gudbranson is playing very well for us and judging by his play so far it would be foolish to send him back to kingston. He belongs in the NHL, and those few rookie mistakes he has committed will eventually stop after continued mentoring by jovocop when he has adjusted to the speed a bit more.

Lets say he does stick with the big club, that means we have 6 players on 1-way contracts plus gudbranson.

Campbell-Garrison
JovoCop-Gudbranson
Weaver-Kulikov
Ellerby

Are we going to keep 7 dmen on the roster (IIRC we historically dont keep healthy scratches for more than just precautionary situations if someone is day-to-day)? Will we see a trade, and if yes who is the odd man out?

I will go ahead and say that he makes it, and we rotate him, ellerby and weaver. I am not ready to give up on ellerby, I think he deserves a good shot with the big club.
If someone is to be traded, im leaning towards weaver (and that hurts to say because I love his defensive play and what he brings to our PK). I dont see any one else possibly being dealt than those two.

What do you guys think will happen? Will Guds be sent back just because of the situation (since we have a lot of capable depth in SA)?
I think Guds has already made the team and that we'll likely keep 7 up for depth's sake. If Ellerby is in the pressbox, or Weaver, or Guds if he needs a night off as he gets used to an 82 game season, it can't do anything but keep everyone competing for playing time. Injuries will happen and we're in good shape to handle that.

Desert Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 02:12 PM
Laus723
Future Now

No way all 6 guys stay healthy throughout, Ellerby will get his playing time.

10-18-2011, 02:25 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Keep them all right now. Depth is always good specially on defense.

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 11:56 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
No way all 6 guys stay healthy throughout, Ellerby will get his playing time.
Sad but true. I wonder how he would be as a forward. There are guys that play D and F. Monty.
A guy of his heft could be useful.
Is there any chance he'd see his position as a F with his D-man POV? (if that makes sense to anyone lol)

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 01:23 AM
nhlfan9191

Wouldn't be surprised if he got sent down. He's definetly looking great but he's a very young defender and risking his confidence is foolish. But he definetly could stay. I hate the stupid nine games to go to junior rule. They should change it.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 03:02 AM
flapanthersfan

Gudbranson has 0 points in 6 games and is a -4 - while only averaging 12 minutes of ice time per game.

His stats, as well as his play, is very underwhelming. He has nothing locked up, and if they (panthers management) feel confident in Ellerby as a regular and Kostka as the 7th D - he could find himself back in Jrs pretty soon.

flapanthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 04:24 AM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapanthersfan View Post
Gudbranson has 0 points in 6 games and is a -4 - while only averaging 12 minutes of ice time per game.

His stats, as well as his play, is very underwhelming. He has nothing locked up, and if they (panthers management) feel confident in Ellerby as a regular and Kostka as the 7th D - he could find himself back in Jrs pretty soon.
His play has been far from underwhelming. If one was just stat surfing then yes, his stats would appear underwhelming, but you should know better. The -4 is especially misleading. Campbell is a -4 too. Goc is a -3. The points aren't a big deal because he wasn't drafted to be an offensive d-man. The points will come, I think that's obvious.

He could be sent back I suppose but I don't see why as long as he keeps playing the way he has for the next 3 games. He's an NHL d-man, sending him back to junior would be pointless now. And if he is sent back they would get another d-man, Kostka is not an NHL player in any sense.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 09:44 AM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:

Ellerby was horrific last game. it's not even close between Gudby and Ellerby.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 10:26 AM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to Egblad
Quote:

Gudbranson has been pretty decent so far. He has had a few kinks on defense thus far but it's to be expected. I hardly see him getting sent down. Stats don't tell everything.

Egblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 10:30 AM
blackpanthers

I think the defensive pairings should have been different last game. I think it was a mistake to pair Gudbranson with Ellerby. If jovo is out again I would prefer the following pairings:

Campbell - Gudbranson
Garrison - Weaver
Kulikov - Ellerby

blackpanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 10:42 AM
jkscott
Florida Panther STH

I completely agree. Guds should always be paired with a veteran leader.

jkscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 11:53 AM
KW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
His play has been far from underwhelming. If one was just stat surfing then yes, his stats would appear underwhelming, but you should know better. The -4 is especially misleading. Campbell is a -4 too. Goc is a -3. The points aren't a big deal because he wasn't drafted to be an offensive d-man. The points will come, I think that's obvious.

He could be sent back I suppose but I don't see why as long as he keeps playing the way he has for the next 3 games. He's an NHL d-man, sending him back to junior would be pointless now. And if he is sent back they would get another d-man, Kostka is not an NHL player in any sense.
That's how I see it too. Although no one likes a -4 at this point, Gudbranson has been playing against top teams' top lines, and has been a positive force. He's physical, he won't back down, his passing is actually pretty good, and his vision decent. I'm positively surprised by his play, I thought he would be clearly in the lower half of D-men, but he's stepped it up considerably. No way does he get sent down. That's a joke of a proposition.

KW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 12:36 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Not going anywhere

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 05:02 PM
flapanthersfan

Quote:

i've watched every single game we've played plus 3 preseason games - and he HAS been very underwhelming. he has done nothing to assert himself. he was billed as a physical defensman with a mean streak but i have yet to see him with one meaningful hit or really getting nasty on a consistent basis.

i referenced the stats mostly because of the ice time - 12mins/game average means dineen does not entirely trust him yet.

i know gudbranson is the golden boy around these parts and going against the grain will lead me to getting my head bit off, but whatever. he has not been that good and has absolutely nothing locked up. his only saving grace might be that his competition (ellerby) has not been any better. if ellerby went out the last two games and played well, i'd go as far as saying i expect gudbranson to be sent back to jrs. but ellerby struggled, too, so not i'd say it's 50/50.

and on kostka - you've seen him play how many times? your opinion on him is worth zilch, and our management disagrees with your assessment anyway as he was here challenging ellerby and gudbranson until the last day possible over other guys with nhl experience such as strachan and yonkman. kostka could be an nhl player, you and i don't know, and saying "he's not an nhl player in any sense" is incredibly ignorant. the truth is, you dont know if he is or isn't because we have seen very little of him. our management seems to think he could be and their opinion obviously means slightly more than yours.

flapanthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 05:45 PM
Erick

Quote:
i've watched every single game we've played plus 3 preseason games - and he HAS been very underwhelming. he has done nothing to assert himself. he was billed as a physical defensman with a mean streak but i have yet to see him with one meaningful hit or really getting nasty on a consistent basis.

i referenced the stats mostly because of the ice time - 12mins/game average means dineen does not entirely trust him yet.

i know gudbranson is the golden boy around these parts and going against the grain will lead me to getting my head bit off, but whatever. he has not been that good and has absolutely nothing locked up. his only saving grace might be that his competition (ellerby) has not been any better. if ellerby went out the last two games and played well, i'd go as far as saying i expect gudbranson to be sent back to jrs. but ellerby struggled, too, so not i'd say it's 50/50.

and on kostka - you've seen him play how many times? your opinion on him is worth zilch, and our management disagrees with your assessment anyway as he was here challenging ellerby and gudbranson until the last day possible over other guys with nhl experience such as strachan and yonkman. kostka could be an nhl player, you and i don't know, and saying "he's not an nhl player in any sense" is incredibly ignorant. the truth is, you dont know if he is or isn't because we have seen very little of him. our management seems to think he could be and their opinion obviously means slightly more than yours.
Gudbranson has shown his physicality already getting into one fight, etc.

He's also shown great tools at times...like his great shot.

You're right when you say that he hasn't been great. However, when the potential replacement is Keaton Ellerby, it's safe to say he's safe. I mean, Ellerby has shown nothing. And he's been here longer. Ellerby is what he is, at this point. The same applies to the rest of the guys you mentioned. Guds, on the other hand, clearly has upside.

Also, he's only getting 12 minutes per game because he's a 3rd pairing defenseman. Not because "Dineen doesn't trust him." He's basically getting what plenty of #6 D men get. He'll probably get some more ice time as he improves.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 04:40 AM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:

You can say he hasn't been great, but he hasn't been underwhelming. He's been very solid defensively for his first 7 NHL games, and assert himself? He beat the dung out of Downie and then fought Malone. He's also cleaned up trash a bit in front of his net. I'd say he's asserted himself a little. He'll get more physical on a consistent basis as he gains more experience and confidence.

Gudbranson has played 7 whole NHL games. His ice time is fine considering. When Jovo was out he played nearly 17 minutes. Dineen trusts him fine for what he is - a green 19 year old. As he matures and plays better, Dineen will give him more ice time. He's also playing on a deep blueline. You act like it's because of some shortcoming of his.

I've apparently seen Kostka play much more than you, so my opinion is worth more than yours on the subject. I've watched a lot of Amerks games the last two seasons. Kostka was swiss cheese on some nights in the AHL. How do you think he'd fare in the NHL? He has some offensive skills, but not even that impressive when matched up against NHL competition. He might have just had a good camp, I don't know, but fact is he didn't make it. And if he played for a long period in the NHL he'd get chewed up and spit out.

Old
10-23-2011, 10:42 AM
bester vaive
Fear the Titan!

FWIW, listening to the Blue Jackets Sunday morning show and Jeff Rimer (remember him?) says that he is hearing Guds will be sent down to Kingston, despite playing well for the Panthers.

bester vaive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 02:36 AM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Bob McKenzie said there's an outside chance that Gud will be sent back but he doesn't think it's gonna happen. Neither do I. He gets better every game. He's not going back.

Old
10-26-2011, 03:20 AM
Parise9Crosby87

sending him back to ohl would be foolish sure his stats and on toi isnt great but he will be better

Parise9Crosby87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 08:35 AM
jol

Quote:
Bob McKenzie said there's an outside chance that Gud will be sent back but he doesn't think it's gonna happen. Neither do I. He gets better every game. He's not going back.
Economics??

JOL

jol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 08:52 AM
CapeShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parise9Crosby87 View Post
sending him back to ohl would be foolish sure his stats and on toi isnt great but he will be better
Been watching just about every Panthers game. Like this team a lot. Also Gud is only 19 playing his first NHL games as an NHL D-man. He will definitley stay with the big club and I expect that they will bring him along quite nicely throughout the season. He has arrived now and it is his time to take the baby steps forward each week in solidifying himself as a 10-15 year NHL D-man. No pressure just an embracing by the leadership team to continue his developement and confidence. I hope that this reader board undestands just how difficult and how big your "ba@@#lls" need to be to fight in the NHL at 19. Just one of the things he will need to deal with and he has done this with an A++ so early in his career. He ain't going anywhere but up. Settle down regarding Gud, it is the seasoned vets that need to step up.

CapeShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 09:20 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
I would be SHOCKED if he was sent down after the game tomorrow night, SHOCKED! He is definitely NHL ready, and he needs to soak in all the knowledge from guys like Jovo and Soupy. It would be a real dumb move to send him back to juniors.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 10:35 AM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
I would be SHOCKED if he was sent down after the game tomorrow night, SHOCKED! He is definitely NHL ready, and he needs to soak in all the knowledge from guys like Jovo and Soupy. It would be a real dumb move to send him back to juniors.
Agreed! I think he's played fine so far. I don't see any value in sending him down.

-ghoste

Ghoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 11:40 AM
RainingRats

I think Guds will only get better. If we could send him to the AHL then he'd probably go, imo but I think as long as he can play third pairing minutes he'l be fine. He also brings an element that none of our other d-men bring which is huge. Ellerby sucking also helps.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote