HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Our D-situation after Guds 9 games

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-04-2011, 09:54 PM
  #76
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,042
vCash: 500
So, the "ZOMG HE FIGHTS" comment was true, but the 'diarrhea' comment wasn't? No, I think you meant it and were frustrated, apparently by a few things last night.

I harp on it because it describes putrid, absolutely awful play. Not a kid whose played 10 games. Who just made the team. I have realistic expectations.

So, now Gudbranson is gonna have a career comparable to Bradley's instead as a defenseman? Makes no sense to bring him up, the two have completely different skills. And, Horton, Bouw, and even Weiss didn't have the fire in their eyes that Erik had. I like that. I want that on this team! You don't? You don't want a kid with great skill, a nasty streak, and a drive to succeed to go with that nastiness? I do.

yep, love the kid. Why that's such an issue that it's set you off is beyond me. I'll defend him against unrealistic expectations, yes. There's been times I've cringed with him, but again...10 games. Sometimes it happens. That he fights, for me, is a plus. I'm glad he's tempered it, don't think that would have happened had he made the team last season.

You're going to have to give me an example of when I've defending fighters when they don't deserve it. MacIntyre? His skill set rivals Gudbranson's? Again, incredibly weak, same with Hordichuk. Yes, I'd rather have Hordi over Bradley, but Bradley has a better overall game. We'll see.

FYI: My favorite players behind Laus? Forsberg, Iginla, Franzen, Draper...and I loved Booth. Not exactly fighters, are they. I like the blue collar guys. And I'm loving Hunerdeau, and really liked what I saw from Rocco.

Please, stop acting like you know me. It's ridiculous.

__________________
So you're saying there's a chance!
Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 03:40 AM
  #77
flapanthersfan
Registered User
 
flapanthersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Miami, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,907
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
So, the "ZOMG HE FIGHTS" comment was true, but the 'diarrhea' comment wasn't? No, I think you meant it and were frustrated, apparently by a few things last night.
i did mean it. i never said i didn't. it was supposed to be a funny way of saying he's been bad. this really isn't that hard to comprehend.

Quote:
I harp on it because it describes putrid, absolutely awful play. Not a kid whose played 10 games. Who just made the team. I have realistic expectations.
he hasn't been putrid, or absolutely awful, but he hasn't been good either. below average. if mike weaver is the epitome of average, lets say a 6 on a scale of 1-10, gudbranson has been a 4. mathieu biron and bryan allen would be a 1.


Quote:
So, now Gudbranson is gonna have a career comparable to Bradley's instead as a defenseman? Makes no sense to bring him up, the two have completely different skills. And, Horton, Bouw, and even Weiss didn't have the fire in their eyes that Erik had. I like that. I want that on this team! You don't? You don't want a kid with great skill, a nasty streak, and a drive to succeed to go with that nastiness? I do.
bringing up bradley was an exaggerated analogy that you dont draft intangibles and/or "fire in the eyes" at third overall, if that's the only reason they are there. draft the best friggin player available. worry about the aftermath later.

patrick kane looks like a lazy, unmotivated twig, but i'd sure as hell take him on this team.

and yes, i do want fire and passion, but i want it with a good team, not a bunch of jason wiemers running around.

Quote:
yep, love the kid. Why that's such an issue that it's set you off is beyond me. I'll defend him against unrealistic expectations, yes. There's been times I've cringed with him, but again...10 games. Sometimes it happens. That he fights, for me, is a plus. I'm glad he's tempered it, don't think that would have happened had he made the team last season.

You're going to have to give me an example of when I've defending fighters when they don't deserve it. MacIntyre? His skill set rivals Gudbranson's? Again, incredibly weak, same with Hordichuk. Yes, I'd rather have Hordi over Bradley, but Bradley has a better overall game. We'll see.

lol. you're not very smart. you really think i was comparing macintyre to gudbranson? you're not even worth talking to if you can't comprehend simple points.


Quote:
FYI: My favorite players behind Laus? Forsberg, Iginla, Franzen, Draper...and I loved Booth. Not exactly fighters, are they. I like the blue collar guys. And I'm loving Hunerdeau, and really liked what I saw from Rocco.

good for you....haven't seen Rocco play, so i won't comment till i do.

flapanthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 07:21 AM
  #78
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,042
vCash: 500
Well, you're all over the place. You mean something, then you don't, but it's humorous, but...

...then you bring up enforcers who have nothing to do with the conversation and proceed to literally insult my intelligence when I question their purpose in the conversation...

...so, I'm done. What's the point?

Gudbranson simply has not been as bad as you make him out to be. I don't even think Kingpanther feels his been that bad. No one else feels he's been that bad, either.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 02:17 PM
  #79
jol
Registered User
 
jol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Miami Beach, Florida
Posts: 1,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Soooooo...he made the team. Isn't getting sent back.
You never know, what are the game thresholds, 9 games to count as a contract year, 40 games to count against UFA status?

JOL

jol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 12:18 AM
  #80
Erick
Registered User
 
Erick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Broward, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 11,585
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flapanthersfan View Post



bringing up bradley was an exaggerated analogy that you dont draft intangibles and/or "fire in the eyes" at third overall, if that's the only reason they are there. draft the best friggin player available. worry about the aftermath later.
So what you're saying is Gudbranson wasn't the best player available?

In case you've forgotten, at the time of the draft, there were questions about Fowler's toughness/lack of physicality and it ultimately ended up being the reason why he fell as much as he did in the draft.

It's not as if you're not using hindsight/personal opinion to defend your argument.

At the time of the draft, no one was saying "gotta draft Fowler, he's so much better than Gudbranson!" As a matter of fact, by draft night I'm pretty sure the majority of the analysts, etc. were calling Gudbranson the best defenseman in the draft, from what I recall.

Gormley was in the discussion as well, and he hasn't even played a game in the NHL yet.

I really don't understand the point you're trying to emphasize with "draft the best player available" comment, as if Tallon and company randomly picked a player out of the blue.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 02:58 AM
  #81
flapanthersfan
Registered User
 
flapanthersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Miami, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,907
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
So what you're saying is Gudbranson wasn't the best player available?

In case you've forgotten, at the time of the draft, there were questions about Fowler's toughness/lack of physicality and it ultimately ended up being the reason why he fell as much as he did in the draft.

It's not as if you're not using hindsight/personal opinion to defend your argument.

At the time of the draft, no one was saying "gotta draft Fowler, he's so much better than Gudbranson!" As a matter of fact, by draft night I'm pretty sure the majority of the analysts, etc. were calling Gudbranson the best defenseman in the draft, from what I recall.

Gormley was in the discussion as well, and he hasn't even played a game in the NHL yet.

I really don't understand the point you're trying to emphasize with "draft the best player available" comment, as if Tallon and company randomly picked a player out of the blue.
fowler was the guy i wanted, and i was pretty vocal at the time about it. i saw him play, and i thought he was clearly a superior talent to gudbranson.

everything you say is true - fowlers toughness was (and still is) questioned. and thats likely why tallon passed on him. but despite that, he's 19 years old and has already established himself as a legitimate top pairing defensman on a pretty good blueline. he's playing 25 minutes a night and plays a pretty impressive puck-moving game...at 19 years old. that's generally unheard of.

i'm not going to second guess passing over skinner because he wasn't even a thought at the time. fowler is who i wanted, and who i think we will eventually regret passing on. if we had fowler on this team instead of Gud's, we'd be even better off than we are right now. significantly better, actually. he's pretty damn good.

and let me be clear, i hope, pray, root that gudbranson completely proves me wrong. i hope he becomes shea weber and surpasses fowlers production when all is said and done. i really do. but i'm a realist, always have been. that's what i see when i look at those two players, and my opinion isnt going to change just because gudbranson wears my favorite teams jersey and fowler doesn't.

we'll see, it's a marathon and not a sprint....i hope im dead wrong. on a positive note. i will say gudbranson has a little more mobility and puck moving ability than i thought he would to this point. he's not going to be bryan allen, which is what i was afraid of. but i see his upside (aka: BEST case scenario) as a meaner Brent Seabrook type of defensman. very good player, but more of a #2 defensman...not a legit #1. Fowler i think will be the Duncan Keith if you want to compare to players on the same team. (they're a little different, but both great skaters, so the comparison fits for the most part)

flapanthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 12:10 PM
  #82
Gudbranson44
#44
 
Gudbranson44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Miami, Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 2,191
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flapanthersfan View Post
fowler was the guy i wanted, and i was pretty vocal at the time about it. i saw him play, and i thought he was clearly a superior talent to gudbranson.

everything you say is true - fowlers toughness was (and still is) questioned. and thats likely why tallon passed on him. but despite that, he's 19 years old and has already established himself as a legitimate top pairing defensman on a pretty good blueline. he's playing 25 minutes a night and plays a pretty impressive puck-moving game...at 19 years old. that's generally unheard of.

i'm not going to second guess passing over skinner because he wasn't even a thought at the time. fowler is who i wanted, and who i think we will eventually regret passing on. if we had fowler on this team instead of Gud's, we'd be even better off than we are right now. significantly better, actually. he's pretty damn good.

and let me be clear, i hope, pray, root that gudbranson completely proves me wrong. i hope he becomes shea weber and surpasses fowlers production when all is said and done. i really do. but i'm a realist, always have been. that's what i see when i look at those two players, and my opinion isnt going to change just because gudbranson wears my favorite teams jersey and fowler doesn't.

we'll see, it's a marathon and not a sprint....i hope im dead wrong. on a positive note. i will say gudbranson has a little more mobility and puck moving ability than i thought he would to this point. he's not going to be bryan allen, which is what i was afraid of. but i see his upside (aka: BEST case scenario) as a meaner Brent Seabrook type of defensman. very good player, but more of a #2 defensman...not a legit #1. Fowler i think will be the Duncan Keith if you want to compare to players on the same team. (they're a little different, but both great skaters, so the comparison fits for the most part)

To be fair, Kulikov is developing into a fine puck moving defenseman and he started playing with us in his draft year. We have our fowler in him is my opinion. Gudbranson brings another element to the team, not only is he physical and strong, but he is the prototype tallon captain. I get a feeling in every interview I see with him that he indeed will be our captain in a few years.

Among our prospects I also believe we have potential puck moving defensemen with high end potential. Robak. It might take him a few seasons before he's there on a nhl level, but he sure has impressed me ever since we drafted him.
Bengtsson, with the right development, can develop into a fine offensive dman for us too. Give him 2 years in sweden and another in the AHL, I have really high hopes for him. And those hopes are justified, Ive heard a LOT of good things about him

Gudbranson44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:36 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.