HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

IF Martin gets fired or no contract renewal, who takes his place?

Old
10-16-2011, 08:33 AM
juve

vCash: 500
IF Martin gets fired or no contract renewal, who takes his place?

This is not a Martin BASH Thread.

We're off to rough a start, will we continue? Who knows. Martin has one more year on his three year contract. Will he be re-signed? Maybe be yes, maybe no. He will probably be re-signed if he gets us to the playoff. Now, if we go 1-10-1 does he get fired? If he we miss the playoffs does he fired? If he gets us to playoffs to we re-sign the contract? What if it's another first round exit?

IF he does get fired or let go at the end of season who take his place? Who would you like? And do you think will most likely get the position?

Optional question. If we fail hard this season and get a top 3 pick, who do you draft? Grigorenko or Yakupov?

juve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 08:40 AM
MTL-rules

He's there to stay... as long as Boucher is still in TB (which could take a long time...)

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 08:41 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
kirk muller.....

Most Valuable Player
Most Valuable Player
King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 08:53 AM
TheCanasianfrasian

Send a message via MSN to TheCanasianfrasian
I don't see the management firing him any time soon.

TheCanasianfrasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 09:36 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

4 games in and we're 1-2-1 ? PANIC

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 09:38 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by juve View Post
IF he does get fired or let go at the end of season who take his place? Who would you like? And do you think will most likely get the position?

Optional question. If we fail hard this season and get a top 3 pick, who do you draft? Grigorenko or Yakupov?
1. I'd want to bring in Kirk Muller if it was at all possible.

2. Grigorenko because I don't think we'll land the first overall pick and we'd draft 2nd at the highest.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 09:40 AM
theboss*

Is this JM's last year? I thought the had a 4 year contract.

theboss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 09:41 AM
neofury*

The title is misleading at first glance. You should probably change it, looks like "Martin gets fired"

Was going to say what a reactionary GM if he did. Why would Martin get fired? You can tell the D is pretty flimsy but by half way through the season guys like Diaz Weber and Emelin will be a lot better. It's hard to ice 3 rookies + Subban who takes his share of risks divided up by essentially Gorges and Gill. Gill has his share of issues, Gorges has been amazing imo and has been our saving grace.

Add Markov into the mix and then you get 3 vets 1 sophomore and 2 rookies, suddenly it looks a lot better than 2 vets 1 sophomore 3 rookies I still consider Weber a rookie in all honesty. He hasn't proven to me what Subban has proven. He's getting better as time goes on though, they all seem to be.

Then up front we have Cammy temporarily injured and Price on the back end is going to be fine. I just can't see how he'd get fired right now. I also can't see how we'd do so bad. We were a shootout away from getting that extra point. 1-2-1 isn't so bad. We win next game and we're 2-2-1 and suddenly it doesn't look so bad.

In the even that we went like 5-10-3 and injuries weren't too bad I think we would start to hear rumblings. Might even take 7-15-4 before they do something though. I see us being more like 12-11-3 by that many games played. Really doubt Martin gets fired. Team just needs more time to click, they were clicking last night but unfortunately we lost the game, it happens. No need for a "What if Martin gets fired" thread yet.

Kirk Muller or Carbonneau will get hired if that happens. You can bet your ass it will. Carb I never liked but I think with this kind of talent he may actually be the right coach for us now, nobody else is available.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 10:55 AM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
4 games in and we're 1-2-1 ? PANIC
He made it pretty clear that he wasn't trying to bring up our current streak of losses didn't he?

Anyway, I wish they would change things up a big, I don't see Martin as the solution to our mediocrity. Unfortunately, the guy we DID need went to Tampa Bay and is kicking ass over there.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 10:56 AM
Protest the Hero

I'm not on the fire Martin bandwagon but considering this is the only thread we have about possible coaching changes I'll post in here.

In this day and age is it possible that Montreal hires an English coach? Let's say they hire Muller, is he required to hire at least one French language assistant coach?

Also, Boucher is gone, he's not leaving Tampa, there's really no point in talking about him anymore. There's an out of town thread if you want to talk about how good he is.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 10:57 AM
Canadiens1958

Martin Raymond

Tampa Bay assistant and former McGill coach, Martin Raymond would be available and the best choice.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 10:57 AM
Et le But

Muller and Martin Raymond are two interesting ideas, if it reached the point where Martin had to be fired Muller would probably be the best bet since he could at least motivate the team, while Raymond did a great job in developing McGill's hockey program and seems to be a big part of Boucher's system, though if it was a mid-season change an ex-Hab like Muller might be the bettr option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
He's there to stay... as long as Boucher is still in TB (which could take a long time...)
The same Boucher whose team currently has a near identical record to the Habs, with the worse defensive record in the league so far?

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 10:59 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Plekanec would be a player/coach.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 11:01 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

JM signed a 4 year contract, so he still has one more year after this season.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 11:04 AM
SAKS AVENUE

I can honestly say I'm not a huge fan of our line-up. Even if we were in first place, it's such a floaty finesse team, without a whole lot of finesse that's exciting to watch.

I'd love to crash hard this year and get a top five pick. Suck in another teams first pick by trading someone like Cammy and/or Andrei plus.

Fire Martin and bring in a couple of hard nosed Chris Neil types. In a year or two Gallagher and Belly-You will be ready with Tinordi. That could be fun......

Non?

It's going to be a long year regardless. We are just too middle of the pack......Oh well

Bring Tremblay back.....hahahahahaha

SAKS AVENUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 11:06 AM
MrRoundtree

May sound stupid but I would try everything to convince Roy to come coach either in the AHL or the NHL...

As for the draft, depending on the stats at the end of the eyar, if Grigorenko is not too far off from Yakupov I would take Grigorenko. I don't think we are gonna finish last anyway lol, we should end up between 5-10 as usual in the east. I would try to trade an asset for another 1st-round pick though, it is really a deep draft with lots of talent.

But having Grigorenko and Roy would be amazing...

MrRoundtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 11:07 AM
Andros777

I always thought Andy Murray was a good coach, I'd at least give him an interview. I agree with above poster though that the composition of the team needs to change a bit.

Andros777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 11:09 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAKS AVENUE View Post
I can honestly say I'm not a huge fan of our line-up. Even if we were in first place, it's such a floaty finesse team, without a whole lot of finesse that's exciting to watch.

I'd love to crash hard this year and get a top five pick. Suck in another teams first pick by trading someone like Cammy and/or Andrei plus.

Fire Martin and bring in a couple of hard nosed Chris Neil types. In a year or two Gallagher and Belly-You will be ready with Tinordi. That could be fun......

Non?

It's going to be a long year regardless. We are just too middle of the pack......Oh well

Bring Tremblay back.....hahahahahaha
I'd be royally pissed if you ever become GM. The "coach must speak French" unwritten rule is absurd and I hope it's destroyed soon. Regardless, there aren't many available now. I don't know if Muller is good enough to be head coach at the highest level... yet.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 11:10 AM
Tusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Post of the week, maybe month.

Tusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 11:38 AM
Vanek20
Drive for 25

Michel Therrien

Vanek20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 11:46 AM
sheed36

Since we all seem to know more than JM I say we have a poll of all the members of this board and whoever gets the most votes coaches the Habs..

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 11:50 AM
Dr_Hook

Not a candidate I would like us to ever hire AT ALL, but the name of Pascal Vincent now assisting with the Jets would surely be thrown around quite a bit.

I too am very tired of the idea of the mandatory french speaking coach. It shrinks the reservoir of candidates to almost zero : which coach has some NHL experience and speaks french (besides those we already had) Bob Hartley ? Can't think of anyone of consequence...

It basically condemns us to hire a rookie from junior. Clearly impedes our ability to progress as an organisation. It's sad really...

Dr_Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 11:52 AM
Craig71

My pick for coach would be Larry Robinson. I also hope Martin can get this thing on track and remain as coach. The coach(staff) are not the problem, it is no Markov,No Campoli and lack of disipline that is the cause of our early troubles.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 11:55 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
How would Plekanec coach the team? An offensive system? A defensive system? An 1-3-1 system?

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2011, 11:57 AM
AntonCH

Pierre Mcguire
Now wouldn't that be fun...................

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote