HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs defeated by the Sabres 3-1

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-18-2011, 10:04 PM
  #151
Canadian_Brewtality
Registered User
 
Canadian_Brewtality's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,807
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
http://www.shrpsports.com/nhl/stand.php
Here's an idea to the people who think the season is almost over. Look at the standings exactly a year ago; Buffalo, who made the playoffs, had 3 points in 6 games, Boston had only 4 points, the Rangers 3, Philly 5.

And look at the top of the table, the mighty Toronto Maple Leafs had yet to experience a regulation time loss, while Atlanta and the Islanders were also in playoff positions. Later on, at the end of the month, the Habs were leading the division.

Meanwhile in the West, Vancouver and San Jose were out of playoff spots while Colorado and Dallas had two of the best records in the league.

So please, get a grip people, it's much more important we work things out right now.
stop posting facts.
dont you realize the season is 5 games old? season is over man...trade all the scrubs. Price is horrible. and so on

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:04 PM
  #152
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post
I really wish Gauthier had the guts to send Gomez to the minors and bring up Trottier. Gomez hasnt scored in 101 STRAIGHT periods...his last goal that counted was scored on Feb 5th, 2010.
You already posted something similar to this a few pages ago. We get it you don't like Gomez. This is not the Gomez thread and I don't see how the loss is being blamed on him when the habs completely dominated.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:04 PM
  #153
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,124
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
How many lives does Gomez have with this team? Literally everytime his name was mentioned tonight, the puck was turned over to the Sabres. In a game where we dominated play and showed our inability to score (shoot short side every time, apparently that works..).

His is ineffective. He is detrimental. He shouldn't be given much ice-time. He shouldn't be given power-play time and he shouldn't be on the team. His contract is an albatross. His play is atrocious. He has nothing in his skills but passing and those are ruined by bad decision making and predictability.

We should be grooming Eller into a center. He should be centering the second PP unit. He should be at the center ice position and Desharnais should be his winger. Desharnais lost almost every face-off tonight of any critical importance, including the game winning goal. That should've been a time-out call by Martin because every one and their dog knew that we were ****ed on that play. Desharnais should've scrambled and ate the puck.

Can't blame Price, the goals weren't his fault, sure the bad rebound on the first one but it's hard to fault a guy who sees 7 non-threatening shots before that point. It's really hard to go from not seeing any shots, to being attacked quickly, it takes a moment for the mind and body mechanics to kick in.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:04 PM
  #154
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,769
vCash: 500
We need heart. Bring back the Captain. Offer a second rounder and Gomez.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:04 PM
  #155
JohnLennon
Registered User
 
JohnLennon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,901
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Just think about this critically and logically. What is your definition of good? He made exactly two GOOD plays all game, one was a nifty give and go and the other was when he out-hustled Miller to get the puck to Gionta.

Two good plays =/="very well"

He's non-contributing. He's bad.
You noticing two good plays by Gomez does not mean that is all he did. I can think of three plays in the D zone off the top of my head where he poked it off a forward and created an odd-man rush.

I can also think of two additional instances where he setup extremely nice plays in the offensive zone where we ended up having huge chances. Obviously he probably made more good plays, but I can't think off the top of my head.

The point I am making is that Gomez is 0% to blame for the loss tonight, and the fact that some posters are blaming him is simply pathetic!

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:05 PM
  #156
SlipperyPete
Registered User
 
SlipperyPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 460
vCash: 500
Right now the Habs are 3rd in the league in shots per game at 34.8, and are giving up the 3rd fewest shots per game at 24.6. Price didn't suddenly become a bad goalie. Yes, he's given up a few softies so far this year, but he'll be fine. Even if he drifts down from last year to become an average goalie (and I think he's better than that), if the Habs keep playing the way they're playing, getting shots on net and limiting other team's shots, they'll end the season as one of the top teams in the league.

The lesson? It's still very early in the season - definitely not time to panic yet.

SlipperyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:05 PM
  #157
Protest the Hero
Registered User
 
Protest the Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,383
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post
I really wish Gauthier had the guts to send Gomez to the minors and bring up Trottier. Gomez hasnt scored in 101 STRAIGHT periods...his last goal that counted was scored on Feb 5th, 2010.
I don't think Trottier is exactly in game shape dude.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:06 PM
  #158
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 21,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
OK, the Habs were screwed. Pouliot has been looking better than Cole--truly. Cole is the biggest disappointment since Gomez, and his contract, too, is an albatross. However, despite this the season can be saved. Eller and Kostitsyn are playing well and the wounded Habs will all be back in November. Diaz shows offensive talent and Emelin finally threw one of his hard body checks.
I'm not throwing Cole under the boss yet. I just wish I wasn't right about him.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:06 PM
  #159
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 13,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
I suppose the reason why you're confused by why JohnLennon and others think Gomez played well is because you're starting from the false premise in that Gomez made two good plays all game. In fact, he was consistently solid throughout the game and generally maintained good puck possession and was a catalyst for his line.
I disagree. I think you have an invalid premise when you define Gomez's play as "solid" and that he maintained "good" puck possession.

I'm not confused, I know the posted is a fanboy who sees whatever he wants and now I know you are as well.

I'm NOT saying this loss hangs on anyone. It was a 2-1 game against a great goalie on a good team. Blame can be placed on everyone if need be. Nonetheless Gomez is a non-contributing player who keeps getting ice-time despite his lack of... anything productive.

The PP was putrid though and I blame JM for that

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:07 PM
  #160
Habs13
Registered User
 
Habs13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: England
Posts: 5,229
vCash: 500
I guess I'm alone in thinking that Cole has been decent so far? Ok, no goals and one assist but he has been a physical presence and has had chances and made things happen.

Or maybe fans are just used to him being a Habs killer and expect that from him every game? hehe. He hasn't been given much ice time, either, for some... strange reason.

John Lennon's love for Gomer Pyle makes me giggle.

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:08 PM
  #161
JohnLennon
Registered User
 
JohnLennon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,901
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliki2 View Post
Because every post you spend defending Gomez, who has done absolutely nothing for the past two years. Yet you continue to talk about how great he is. I'm not blaming him for the loses alone, but he sure as hell isn't helping out. He is terrible...absolutely terrible. Probably worse than last year, but he trained harder in the off season right?!?
Nah, the fact that Gomez has led our team in the playoffs is no big deal, especially after the crappy year he had last year. The guy elevates his game in the post-season. That right there is key.

As for the regular season, he had a disappointing year last year but the year before was solid. He is our best face-off man and plays a two-way game, which is exactly what the Habs like in a forward.

Your argument is simply "he's terrible... simply terrible" just like every other Gomez whiner on this thread, but I have yet to see any of you bring any logical arguments. It's either just proclaiming he sucks because you think so, or creating your own facts as to why you think he sucks a la WhiskeySeven.

He played very well tonight, and if you are someone who wants to blame him for the loss tonight then you are probably part of the problem as to why people think Habs are just emotional whiny fans.

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:08 PM
  #162
HabbyGilmore
Best man for the job
 
HabbyGilmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Saint John, NB Canda
Country: Canada
Posts: 215
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HabbyGilmore
Cole useless

Martin..useless.. fire him.. we're lookin' terrible. Yeah yeah just a couple games in.. but this is pathetic.. we dominate for most of the game and can't score a freakin' goal.. lame.

HabbyGilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:09 PM
  #163
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
I don't think Trottier is exactly in game shape dude.
Well look at it this way. If Gomez, that superhero, was able to bring us Gionta and Cammy. Surely Trottier would convince Bossy to come back....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:09 PM
  #164
TheBuriedHab
Registered User
 
TheBuriedHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,181
vCash: 500
Seriously, you guys are like whiny pre-teens in here. We Outplayed buffalo yet half the board dumps on Gomez . You want to know what happened? We dominated but got stoned by one of the best goalies in the league. You think when Washington or Pitt lost to us they go and blame their players? No they just ran into a hot goalie. Price was weak on the first goal with a soft rebound, and the second goal was a beautiful play that was scored by buffalo's best sniper. Not every loss is dump on the team time. It sucks that we are losing and we need to turn it around but seriously, watch the game and make some rational conclusions, not OMFG GOMEZ!!!@!@!@!@! all the time.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:10 PM
  #165
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
PP is not working. So how about not having Desharnais and Pleks TOGETHER? How about the fresher of the 2 centering the 1st one? How about trying to keep the great line of MaxPac, AKost and Desharais together? If they were just on the ice, you put them for the last minute? You'd still be able to have a #1 PP of Pleks-Cole and Gionta? Would it be that bad? Really a need for Engqvist? How about even using Eller at some point? Really a need for underachiever Gomez? Didn't he proove enough that he's not worth it on a PP? Geez, the guy is even as valuable as any PK'er for the opponent...
PP is not finishing.... I don't know if I would say its not working.

The unit of Patches - Plek - Des - Subban - Weber is generating good possession and chances in the last two games, I think that unit will start scoring. Its generating offensive chances... and the goals will come from that unit.


I agree that the unit with Cole - Gomez - Gionta - AK46 - Diaz is not looking good and not working.


Perhaps when Cammy returns, Des goes to the second unit and Cammy is beside Pleks though, and then Gomez will be off the PP.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:10 PM
  #166
Gainey#1*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ottawa/Calgary
Posts: 2,308
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipperyPete View Post
Right now the Habs are 3rd in the league in shots per game at 34.8, and are giving up the 3rd fewest shots per game at 24.6. Price didn't suddenly become a bad goalie. Yes, he's given up a few softies so far this year, but he'll be fine. Even if he drifts down from last year to become an average goalie (and I think he's better than that), if the Habs keep playing the way they're playing, getting shots on net and limiting other team's shots, they'll end the season as one of the top teams in the league.

The lesson? It's still very early in the season - definitely not time to panic yet.
The team needs to rip off 5 wins in a row to get back in the hunt.
I just don't see them doing it.

Gainey#1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:10 PM
  #167
JohnLennon
Registered User
 
JohnLennon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,901
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
I disagree. I think you have an invalid premise when you define Gomez's play as "solid" and that he maintained "good" puck possession.

I'm not confused, I know the posted is a fanboy who sees whatever he wants and now I know you are as well.
The "you guys are wrong because I said so, my opinion is fact" argument is never used by a mature adult. Grow up a little and actually create an argument instead of making up facts to prove your point.

How do you expect people to take you seriously if you just make something up to support your opinion? Please, explain to me how Gomez is the reason we have lost tonight or lost any game at all this season. He doesn't even have to be the only reason, just part of the problem. Go ahead!

EDIT: and I see you edited your post and blamed JM for our PP. Shows how much you know hockey, as JM doesn't coordinate our powerplay. Obviously you aren't too well educated in how the Habs work, which is probably why you jump to conclusions.

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:11 PM
  #168
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
I disagree.
Of course you do. That's not news here. But if you state, as you did originally: hey, how come you think Gomez was good when he sucks? ... Well, it's not a genuine question. The simple answer from those with opposing views is: well, he doesn't suck. Similarly, if you ask the question: hey, how come you think Gomez was good when he only made two good plays? will result in a similar response.

As far as calling me a fanboy ... well, that was fun. Why do you even converse with us fanboys, then? I know that when I see a poster who seems so wildly illogical, I don't choose to engage them in conversation. And that's why this conversation is over, I suppose.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:11 PM
  #169
Captain Saku
Registered User
 
Captain Saku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 10,619
vCash: 500
what our record including pre-season? I can't remember what win means anymore.

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:11 PM
  #170
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,124
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
Seriously, you guys are like whiny pre-teens in here. We Outplayed buffalo yet half the board dumps on Gomez . You want to know what happened? We dominated but got stoned by one of the best goalies in the league. You think when Washington or Pitt lost to us they go and blame their players? No they just ran into a hot goalie. Price was weak on the first goal with a soft rebound, and the second goal was a beautiful play that was scored by buffalo's best sniper. Not every loss is dump on the team time. It sucks that we are losing and we need to turn it around but seriously, watch the game and make some rational conclusions, not OMFG GOMEZ!!!@!@!@!@! all the time.
Nearly every time he touched the puck, it was a turn-over. You can't defend his play. It's a major issue. Surely we'd overlook it if he wasn't getting PP time and was playing 3rd line minutes. He's seeing the ice more than players we should be grooming for more effective roles in the future because god help us if Gomez is in our plans outside of his current contract.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:12 PM
  #171
Protest the Hero
Registered User
 
Protest the Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,383
vCash: 500
I know Gomez bashing gets old, and I'm fine with his 5-on-5 play, but replace him with Eller on the 2nd power play unit and I think it improves dramatically. Eller can win board battles better, and he's been one of our best forwards since he came back.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:13 PM
  #172
Maliki2
Registered User
 
Maliki2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Saint Albans, VT
Country: United States
Posts: 10,222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
The "you guys are wrong because I said so, my opinion is fact" argument is never used by a mature adult. Grow up a little and actually create an argument instead of making up facts to prove your point.

How do you expect people to take you seriously if you just make something up to support your opinion? Please, explain to me how Gomez is the reason we have lost tonight or lost any game at all this season. He doesn't even have to be the only reason, just part of the problem. Go ahead!

EDIT: and I see you edited your post and blamed JM for our PP. Shows how much you know hockey, as JM doesn't coordinate our powerplay. Obviously you aren't too well educated in how the Habs work, which is probably why you jump to conclusions.
Natey is that you?

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:13 PM
  #173
Kirk Muller
Registered User
 
Kirk Muller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Brrr -18, Gomez Cold
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
Nah, the fact that Gomez has led our team in the playoffs is no big deal, especially after the crappy year he had last year. The guy elevates his game in the post-season. That right there is key.
Complete and utter myth. Gomez's production has actually decreased in the playoffs compared to his regular season. He is a .78 regular season PPG to a .71 PPG in the playoffs

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:14 PM
  #174
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Nearly every time he touched the puck, it was a turn-over.
That's just not even close to true.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 10:15 PM
  #175
Maliki2
Registered User
 
Maliki2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Saint Albans, VT
Country: United States
Posts: 10,222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
Complete and utter myth. Gomez's production has actually decreased in the playoffs compared to his regular season. He is a .78 regular season PPG to a .71 PPG in the playoffs
OMG Gomez and his contract, say it isn't so!

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:42 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.