HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Blame the media

Closed Thread

Old
11-06-2011, 10:14 AM
CinciWildcat18
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Blame the media

When I look at the current state of the Columbus Blue Jackets, the worst team in the national hockey league, I can't help but blame the media.

Now before you jump on me and say the media isn't the ones giving up 10 goals to Philly, hear me out:

The Blue Jackets are owned by the Columbus Dispatch, the largest media outlet in the city. The Dispatch can say vague things like "maybe it's time to look for a change" but they can't just come out, be honest, and tell the truth about how poorly this organization is run. In fact, the Jackets got a beat writer put on a different beat cause they thought he was too negative.

Same goes for 97.1 who is owned by the Dispatch. Torg tries to be honest but has to hold back because he likes Arniel, Rimmer is a super fan, and no one else there follows hockey. Even the Jackets website hires fanboys to write for it.

So there you have the two biggest media outlets that cover the team who are owned by the team and thus not allowed to be real. This allows the team to be complacent with its crap product since there's no one to hold them accountable.

Blah, I'm just sick of it

Old
11-06-2011, 10:22 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinciWildcat18 View Post
When I look at the current state of the Columbus Blue Jackets, the worst team in the national hockey league, I can't help but blame the media.

Now before you jump on me and say the media isn't the ones giving up 10 goals to Philly, hear me out:

The Blue Jackets are owned by the Columbus Dispatch, the largest media outlet in the city. The Dispatch can say vague things like "maybe it's time to look for a change" but they can't just come out, be honest, and tell the truth about how poorly this organization is run. In fact, the Jackets got a beat writer put on a different beat cause they thought he was too negative.

Same goes for 97.1 who is owned by the Dispatch. Torg tries to be honest but has to hold back because he likes Arniel, Rimmer is a super fan, and no one else there follows hockey. Even the Jackets website hires fanboys to write for it.

So there you have the two biggest media outlets that cover the team who are owned by the team and thus not allowed to be real. This allows the team to be complacent with its crap product since there's no one to hold them accountable.

At some point, the truth has to come out. The fans voting to spend their entertainment dollars elsewhere would seem to be a trend this organization doesn't place much stock in...

The media isn't to blame here. The fans are fed up... without the articles or the personal opinions from the dispatch or the Fan guys about changes being necessary, The fans have made up their minds that this crap CANNOT continue.

Old
11-06-2011, 10:28 AM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

I hate the Columbus sports media as much as anyone, but to blame the media for this mess is almost as dumb as blaming the fans and the city.

Old
11-06-2011, 10:59 AM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinciWildcat18 View Post

Welcome!! Can I take your thought off in another direction? When I think of the media, I think of ownership's tight control. They fired Jim Day for calling a duck, a duck. They got rid of Danny Gare. They don't want anyone showing them the light of day or feel an obligation to be accountable. When you control the media locally, I think that's a little brazen and bold and perhaps laughable. I'd like them to know that despite that control, the league perception of our team is still based on performance, not talking heads. As usual, ownership is focusing on the wrong issue.

Old
11-06-2011, 11:01 AM
213 Sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJCougar View Post
Welcome!! Can I take your thought off in another direction? When I think of the media, I think of ownership's tight control. They fired Jim Day for calling a duck, a duck. They got rid of Danny Gare. They don't want anyone showing them the light of day or feel an obligation to be accountable. When you control the media locally, I think that's a little brazen and bold and perhaps laughable. I'd like them to know that despite that control, the league perception of our team is still based on performance, not talking heads. As usual, ownership is focusing on the wrong issue.
This

Old
11-06-2011, 11:06 AM
blahblah

Let me think about what the Op said for minute...

Umm... Yeah... No....

Thread going straight in the wast bin.

Old
11-06-2011, 11:16 AM
Doug19

vCash: 50
WTF? The media has absolutely zero to do with the losing. Again, the media has no affect what-so-ever on the team. There have been teams just as bad for just as long in towns with better media, this again, has nothing to do with the media. NOTHING TO DO WITH THE MEDIA, that is ridiculous to even speculate.

Old
11-06-2011, 11:24 AM
brianhatesu

Send a message via AIM to brianhatesu
I blame HFboards. Instead of directing this boards power towards producing a better on ice product, it focus on off ice things like a cannon, or better intro songs.

Old
11-06-2011, 11:27 AM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhatesu View Post
I blame HFboards. Instead of directing this boards power towards producing a better on ice product, it focus on off ice things like a cannon, or better intro songs.
don't forget avatar unity!

Old
11-06-2011, 11:28 AM
JF Omalycat
CBJ Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhatesu View Post
Or ice girls! Wait....which thread was that in, again?

Old
11-06-2011, 12:37 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 200
Well, this thread makes no sense. The media doesn't play. The only good thing I can see about this thread is that I am in before it gets closed or locked

Old
11-06-2011, 01:06 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Portzline's Twitter posts last night were quite interesting. Maybe he's not allowed to print that stuff in the Dispatch, but it seemed as though he's speechless and for the team to continue without making changes is asinine.

Quote:
Aportzline Aaron Portzline
But, watching a game like this, it's hard to imagine there aren't big changes coming. To do nothing is to condone this,

Old
11-06-2011, 01:36 PM
RBarRegular

This is the literally the dumbest thread I've ever read on here. We are all worse off for having read it. 4 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

Old
11-06-2011, 01:42 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBarRegular View Post
This is the literally the dumbest thread I've ever read on here. We are all worse off for having read it. 4 minutes of my life I'll never get back.
Even dumber then his first thread? http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=1021847 Read this one if you want to lose 12 minutes of your life.

Old
11-06-2011, 01:48 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

I have a new theory, it isn't the media that is the cause of this monstrosity on the ice that we are seeing. It is being the peanuts are too salty

Old
11-06-2011, 01:53 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

I blame Mike Todd.

Old
11-06-2011, 02:00 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

if the 24oz cans were $7 and not $9 this team would be better

Old
11-06-2011, 02:07 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
if the 24oz cans were $7 and not $9 this team would be better
I disagree. It would mean that you would be able to drink more beers. The team would not be better, but after a few more brewskis, you would think that they would look better

Old
11-06-2011, 02:07 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

The only thing you can blame the media for is not calling out the CBJ spin machine sooner. The only thing you can blame the fans for is being TOO patient and not demanding excellence sooner.

Old
11-06-2011, 02:08 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Glover View Post
I disagree. It would mean that you would be able to drink more beers. The team would not be better, but after a few more brewskis, you would think that they would look better

i'm not seeing the negative here

Old
11-06-2011, 02:08 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Glover View Post

Next Tuesday night promotion: DOLLAR BEER NIGHT! Sponsored by Yellow Cab Company.

Old
11-06-2011, 02:09 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Next Tuesday night promotion: DOLLAR BEER NIGHT! Sponsored by Yellow Cab Company.
Cheer louder too, guaranteed victory.

Old
11-06-2011, 02:10 PM
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Could you imagine the crowd's reaction to a Mason save on Dollar Beer Night?

Old
11-06-2011, 02:10 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

Forgive me for being off topic but it is the topic to blame the media, not the prices of beer.

So I blame Tom Reed.

After he left for Cleveland the team has done downhill

bring back Condor

Old
11-06-2011, 02:11 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
Cheer louder too, guaranteed victory.
So the only change that needs to be made is dropping the price of $9 beers to under $5!
(now to fix our woeful road record)

Closed Thread