HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Desperate Times Call For

View Poll Results: What do you do now? (check all that apply)
Stay the course. Howson and Arneil will right the ship. Give them time. 10 13.16%
Trade for a G, either demote or get rid of Mason. 31 40.79%
Upgrade the D. A significant upgrade will likely cost RyJo/high picks but gotta do it. 22 28.95%
Strip Nash's C, or trade him 23 30.26%
Make other moves to detonate the player leadership core (besides Nash) 11 14.47%
Fire Arneil. 24 31.58%
Fire Howson immediately. Start the search for a new GM. 24 31.58%
Fire Howson at the end of the year. 8 10.53%
Fire Priest. 29 38.16%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-19-2011, 10:09 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

vCash: 500
Fix the goalie and the return of Wiz, Juice and Carter will fix most everything else (unless our coach really DOES suck).

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 10:29 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by St1ngr View Post
I think the team is at the crossroads where - you have to blow it up. At least detonate the core.

I can't get too excited about a good effort and a near-OT game with Dallas on our home ice. Not at 0-5-1. If this represents a good post-bag-skate effort and we lose by 1 to the team stripped of its top skill players with the second-lowest payroll in the league (on our home ice) - then we are definitely not going to be anywhere near a playoff contender.

The CBJ were looking to be in the 5-6-7-8 hunt. I just don't see how we can leapfrog our way back up there even IF we start playing well on Friday. If we were the wings, a possible division champ - and we were playing poorly because of multiple significant injuries - then when the team got healthy we could thing about getting in the 5-8 mix. But that's not the CBJ.

I think it goes without saying that Howson and Arneil won't survive this year. Without some miracle like Clitsome suddenly contending for the Norris. Forgone conclusion IMO. Howson got rid of all the toughness this team had on D and didn't replace it. The D men can't clear the crase to save their lives. And Arneil and all his "D in the offense" BS - two things: We give up so many odd man rushes I can't even count, and.....where are all the goals our "offensive D" should be getting us? I think a good coach molds his system to fit the players he has available. Arneil is trying to shove square pegs into round holes, and Howson isn't getting him the round pegs. Apparently $65 million can't buy many round pegs. Under the bus they go!

I think Nash has got to go. He will be the trade bait that will start the rebuilding process. I think Portzline nailed it in the chat today - this team was convinced it had so much scoring prowess that they wouldn't have to play defense, wouldn't have to play tough....Poorly communicated to the team by Arneil, no doubt. He will certainly go under the bus this year so he will get what is coming to him.

But after how many years of this, after how many Clarks, Moreaus, and other "leaders" brought in to fill the "player leader" void.......After how many coaches, systems, strategies, etc. - How can we not question the player-level leadership?

As for the "de facto" leader RJ - It seems he has got a bit of the "I got my big contract and now I'm gonna kick back and coast" mentality. Given the absence of the "leader players" like Moreau, with Nash being his ususal non-leader self and with RJ mentally checking out..........Arneil's poor coaching and Howson stripping out all the toughness....

perfect recipe for a team coming out of the gate DOA.

Oh yeah...almost forgot....Steve Mason.....he goes under the bus too

Team confidence or the lack thereof in key players such as goaltenders, quarterbacks, pitchers etc. is not a new concept in sport; I don't think the CBJ have much in Mason. I read somewhere recently that the D is playing deep to help protect Mason meaning the forwards play deeper etc., in the end the entire game plan could be affected.

The lack of scoring is an issue but that's nothing new, the Jackets had the same problem last season and the season before that. Eleven years of losing is too much, the organization from the top down might be in trouble if the CBJ miss the playoffs again.

If possible a trade for a new goaltender is the best solution to get the team going, there are a few that teams might be willing to move if they get a good return. It's simply a matter of acting or not acting, Howson is known to wait first and act later so it looks like Mason is going to be the guy as the season drags on...

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 02:16 AM
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW

We meet again Columbus...

Where I come from we're penciling in Yakupov on Spezza's wing. Are you guys gonna try to compete with our tanking or should I wish you guys a long winning streak?

Pietraneglo222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 02:19 AM
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat

We'll gladly take the 2 points Saturday.

Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 02:53 AM
Wolfy
The Hobbit Rules!

A possible solution to your problems, folks..

If you have a decent defenseman or two who can help the Rangers they may have the skilled playmaker Mats Zuccarello in return. They have no room for him among the top 6 where he needs to play to be effective. When I see Zuccarello on the Nash line I see that line as a possible scoring machine

Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 04:29 AM
jore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post

If you have a decent defenseman or two who can help the Rangers they may have the skilled playmaker Mats Zuccarello in return. They have no room for him among the top 6 where he needs to play to be effective. When I see Zuccarello on the Nash line I see that line as a possible scoring machine
I see Nash-Carter-Prospal/Huselius as a possible scoring machine. However I'm not sure if we have a decent defenseman or two in the team.

jore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 05:11 AM
Columbus Mike
Next CBJ GM

vCash: 272
Get RJ out of here.

Or, tell him to step up his game like a man, and be the stud you are supposed to be. Then go around the room and tell it to Nash, Umberger, etc.

Nah, giving him a pass out of town is easier.

Columbus Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 05:55 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Fix the goalie and the return of Wiz, Juice and Carter will fix most everything else (unless our coach really DOES suck).
That is all.

Mason has not been totally awful, just not good enough for a struggling team.
----------------
(Trade RJ/Nash? omg)

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 06:08 AM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
Saturday's game is going to be a BEAUTY, ugh. I remember that game in Ottawa years ago when you guys still had Hossa and Havlat and the Sens scored four PP goals, that was pretty bad. Saturday could be worse

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 07:03 AM
blahblah

2 cupcakes enter the arena... Only one will come out...

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 07:13 AM
grumpy chuckles

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
That is all.

Mason has not been totally awful, just not good enough for a struggling team.
----------------
(Trade RJ/Nash? omg)
Mason has not been totally awful. Only 2-18 the last 20 games he has started, one win was in ot. Opponents must love playing the CBJ when they know he is net. One game in the last 20 the cbj have not given up a point with Maon in goal. That is ridiculous an nhl goalie needs to stand on his head and win a game every once in awhile. The team has no confidence with Mason in the lineup. Time to get someone else in the net for a few games. Trade, sign a free agent, give York a shot whatever. But, Arneil and Howson have to change this up.

grumpy chuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 07:38 AM
megashock5

Send a message via AIM to megashock5
I'm not willing to trade Nash until we see what happens to the team's play with a solid goalie backing them up. One the team has confidence in.

He's certainly not above scrutiny, but IMO he's one of a whopping two players who have played pretty well so far this season.

megashock5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 07:43 AM
ScreamingWild
Kissin' The Cup

Is Filatov being recalled to be the token "Jacket killer"?

ScreamingWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 07:49 AM
BluejacketNut

Filatov would be no match for the A Johnson/Clitsome-Russell combo

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 08:13 AM
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingWild View Post
Is Filatov being recalled to be the token "Jacket killer"?
Paul Maclean was supposed to be the Wings killer, we got rocked.
Anderson was supposed to be the Avs killer, he got lit up like a christmas tree

...I think we'll let Filatov ride the bus for a bit.

(kidding aside he got sent down to work with Kurt Kleinendorst as a development trip, so I doubt he gets recalled that early unless he pulls another hat trick or something.)

Pietraneglo222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 08:40 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

...call for:

https://mobile.twitter.com/#!/TheFal...10217656451073

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 10:32 AM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post

You do realize that you're talking to the team whose top defense pair is Fedor Tyutin and James Wisniewski, right? Oh, after that, our best defenseman is Marc Methot. Poor choice of a team to ask about defensemen.

Also, we don't need another "skilled" player ... we have those already. Particularly not one who has yet to score a point on the season. We have plenty of those also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immanuel View Post
Where I come from we're penciling in Yakupov on Spezza's wing. Are you guys gonna try to compete with our tanking or should I wish you guys a long winning streak?
You guys can have Nail Yakupov - we're after Ryan Murray. As someone whose second favorite team is the Sens, I certainly think this is the ideal outcome in all scenarios.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 10:35 AM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Where's TSA0402, the Sens/Blue Jackets fan from Ottawa?

TaketheCannoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 09:30 PM
Str8cash

Sorry...I need to vent thread.

OK, lets hear it.

Fire everyone, gut the team at the deadline except for Carter and Wisniewski, get new uniforms, completely start over and build it the right way... from the goalie out. Wheeew, I feel better.

Str8cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 09:40 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
Where's TSA0402, the Sens/Blue Jackets fan from Ottawa?
Right now I'd bet he's having the most conflicted moment of his life.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 09:43 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
He's laughing while crying.

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 12:53 AM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Definitely.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 10:33 PM
St1ngr

What Now?

Simple question: what now?

0-7-1. Some will say the season is over, some will not. Time to make a move? If so, what move? Is it too late to do anything? Can anything be done?

Lots of opinions, I think the only clear consensus is you can't just say the team needs "time to gel". Certainly that could be said at 0-3 but not now.

St1ngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 10:46 PM
ClevelandJacketFan
Awesome Mascots!

Fire everyone. Trade everyone. Get a new owner.

Either that or I got some special kool-aid for everyone.

ClevelandJacketFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 10:52 PM
St1ngr

I'm past the point of calling for any player's head. I don't think a new G will make the difference on this team, with the D as bad as it is we can't stop anybody. We lost way too much toughness on the back end to compete at this level.

I have given up on the year. I think all moves at this point must be made with the next 3-4 years in mind.

As such, I would fire Scott Howson first thing tommorow. He will be in desperation mode and I don't want to see RyJo get shipped off for a piece of crap D man.

I would also can Priest ASAP.

I would start over with my first hire being a longtime hockey guy in the President role. I would let this guy network me to GM candidates. We can afford to take our time hear a bit - but definitely need all this in place well before the trade deadline.

As for Arneil, I'd let the new pres/GM have the final say on this, but I'm sure he would be as good as gone.

I would also let the new pres/GM have the say regarding Nash. Personally I think he must give up the C. He could otherwise stay if he could function in a player-only non-leader position. I suspect he probably could do that a lot easier than most would think.

St1ngr is offline   Reply With Quote