HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Desperate Times Call For

View Poll Results: What do you do now? (check all that apply)
Stay the course. Howson and Arneil will right the ship. Give them time. 10 13.16%
Trade for a G, either demote or get rid of Mason. 31 40.79%
Upgrade the D. A significant upgrade will likely cost RyJo/high picks but gotta do it. 22 28.95%
Strip Nash's C, or trade him 23 30.26%
Make other moves to detonate the player leadership core (besides Nash) 11 14.47%
Fire Arneil. 24 31.58%
Fire Howson immediately. Start the search for a new GM. 24 31.58%
Fire Howson at the end of the year. 8 10.53%
Fire Priest. 29 38.16%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-31-2011, 02:53 PM
solomonsacct

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
Sorry, I am going to say it now. On the basis of what happened last season, and on the basis of the start of this season, it is time to fire Arniel. He hasn't shown me anything.

This team seems to lack any form of identity. The PK is horrific, the PP is anemic, ES it is just helter skelter on the ice, the defense seems to be clueless as to how to cover zones or play the body.

Time to get an established NHL winner in here, if there is one out there, to right this ship.

Scotty Bowman would be my pick, but that, of course, is pure fantasy. He is probably the only coach alive that could possibly fix this mess.
I see the lack of identity as something that falls on the shoulders of Howson, exclusively.

15 years ago you could rigidly mold players to play in accordance with a coaches philosophy. That used to be a Hitch Specialty. Now the game is too competitive for that in my view. You have to let every single individual play to their strengths to field a competitive team.

After the game last night, Nash said “We’ve got to come up with an identity and I don’t think our identity is a skilled team that’s going to win with finesse and talent.”

Poor Nasher. We're not a tough, physical team in my view. We just have a depressing number of people who should probably not be in the league who are willing to get dirty to help their odds.

solomonsacct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 03:34 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
Some of your Cons could also be Pros. You could easily so that if they don't send him back it could damage his development and say they do keep him up but Arniel keeps benching him in the 3rd period and this affects his attitude.

Seems 50/50 to me. Again I would prefer he stays but this season is not going to go one way or another based on him staying or leaving.
i read that as kinda the point...there is no 50/50 to him...

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 03:48 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
i read that as kinda the point...there is no 50/50 to him...
Whatever, like I said I would like him to stay but I see no reason for an "email bomb" if he is sent back and I do not see a huge out cry from the fan base if this happens because I feel that the fan base is still split on the subject.

Anyway just notice that this debate is in the wrong thread.

1857 Howitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 03:48 PM
squarelaces

Viva la difference. I do believe there would be an outcry. I do believe he could make a big contribution this season. I do believe he increases the opportunity to trade some under-achievers. Lastly, I do believe staying is the best way to enhance his develpoment.

Last edited by squarelaces: 10-31-2011 at 03:54 PM.
squarelaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 03:54 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
Whatever, like I said I would like him to stay but I see no reason for an "email bomb" if he is sent back and I do not see a huge out cry from the fan base if this happens because I feel that the fan base is still split on the subject.

Anyway just notice that this debate is in the wrong thread.
lol...all these threads seem the same to me anymore...I agree with your no reason for an email bomb...if they do, they do, if they don't, they don't...i'm so apathetic right now towards this team

Old
11-06-2011, 02:36 AM
plong123
Litebrite Stinger

... Everyone to be fired.

plong123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 03:15 AM
nhlfan9191

It deeply DEEPLY upsets me to say this but Mason is a bust. Time to send him out of town. I don't blame Mason at all for his career diving this low. Blame management for rushing him the way they did.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 03:58 AM
jfc64

Await best offer for Nash. If Flyers dip you might get Hartnell, Voracek and Gustafsson in return.

Trade Påhlsson, Huselius and Prospal at the trading deadline. Picks, projects and pucks will come your way. Salary will evaporate into the thin air.

Wisniewski or Tyutin might give you Anisimov plus Avery. I have NO idea how Rangers manage to get all their points right now, though.

Sign Ryan Suter in the offseason at overprice.

Sign the best mid-priced goalie with potential you can get to get some competition out of Mason. One of the two might be good.

jfc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 04:27 AM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc64 View Post
Await best offer for Nash. If Flyers dip you might get Hartnell, Voracek and Gustafsson in return.

Trade Påhlsson, Huselius and Prospal at the trading deadline. Picks, projects and pucks will come your way. Salary will evaporate into the thin air.

Wisniewski or Tyutin might give you Anisimov plus Avery. I have NO idea how Rangers manage to get all their points right now, though.

Sign Ryan Suter in the offseason at overprice.

Sign the best mid-priced goalie with potential you can get to get some competition out of Mason. One of the two might be good.
Stupidest post I've read all the day. This might work in EA NHL 12 but let's step down to reality for two seconds.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 05:50 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Jf's Poll:

How many nooses should we swear we see strung in the rafters?

(Claude saw one)

Last edited by JACKETfan: 11-06-2011 at 09:55 AM.
JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 06:47 AM
kmak

I think the person with the most job security is Priest. Remember he is the eyes and ears of McConnell, that is his primary job; if we get something else of value out of him so be it. Believe me, other than conducting the nuts and bolts part of the search, a coach or GM hiring decision is being made by ownership, not Priest.

I can't see any downside in cleaning house. It is the only way to keep the team. Trade everyone of value for draft picks, lower ticket prices, try to get the bleeding down to a manageable level because they have to be losing a FORTUNE this year. McConnell is rich but he isn't that rich.

And that also includes coaching change from within - doesn't matter whether it is Hitchcock, Richards, or whoever; I really doubt they add to the payroll right now to try to stop the bleeding.

The other possibility is that we are stuck with the same team until everyone is healthy (and, as we all know, that never happens on a hockey team).

Good lord that was sickening to watch last night. The only upside is SUPER CHEAP tickets on stubhub.

kmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 08:33 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmak View Post
I think the person with the most job security is Priest. Remember he is the eyes and ears of McConnell, that is his primary job; if we get something else of value out of him so be it. Believe me, other than conducting the nuts and bolts part of the search, a coach or GM hiring decision is being made by ownership, not Priest.

I can't see any downside in cleaning house. It is the only way to keep the team. Trade everyone of value for draft picks, lower ticket prices, try to get the bleeding down to a manageable level because they have to be losing a FORTUNE this year. McConnell is rich but he isn't that rich.

And that also includes coaching change from within - doesn't matter whether it is Hitchcock, Richards, or whoever; I really doubt they add to the payroll right now to try to stop the bleeding.

The other possibility is that we are stuck with the same team until everyone is healthy (and, as we all know, that never happens on a hockey team).

Good lord that was sickening to watch last night. The only upside is SUPER CHEAP tickets on stubhub.
I'd be looking at it like this if I were ownership:

**** rolls downhill... for all the talk of an ineffective coach or GM, Mike Priest has continued to greenlight these things.... Hitchcock was essentially his hire (he was in on the meetings when Hitch was hired and MacLean was basically publically neutered by ownership when they made it point to say they would be hiring the next coach), He hired Howson, He sat in on the coaching search interviews following the 09-10 season....

If Ownership is complict it is simply for granted too much time and not demanding positive results, which they should be held accountable for, the bottom line has suffered, fans are angry, its ultimately up to ownership to chart this ships direction.... Priest's hires have failed, we can't grant him a pass with the assumption that he greenlights spending and thats it, his fingers are in this pie deep....

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 01:11 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

via Eklund and hockeybuzz.com

Quote:
Tracking a couple stories since this morning but first off reports the Bluejackets and Winnipeg Jets maybe in discussion about a goalie perhaps Chris Mason coming to Columbus. I've also heard talk of Niittymaki possibly. More to come shortly.

Old
11-06-2011, 01:24 PM
DuklaNation

The defense should be top priority. A good GM could swing some deals to shore up the back end. Clitsome & Russell shouldnt be playing at all. Look at Boston's defense aside from Chara, most were acquired in minor deals. Id target Tanev & Cole.

DuklaNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 01:26 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:
via Eklund and hockeybuzz.com
Thanks for posting this. For once I hope he's right. A little bit of hope is better than none, I guess.

CBJCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 02:14 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Desperate times call for more threads.
A prophet has spoken in our midst!

Fred Glover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 02:17 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmak View Post
The only upside is SUPER CHEAP tickets on stubhub.
Plenty of good seats available

Old
11-06-2011, 02:20 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Glover View Post
Plenty of good seats available
you would never believe this team is this bad unless you see it live!

Old
11-06-2011, 03:15 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

Quote:
you would never believe this team is this bad unless you see it live!
Columbus Blue Jacket Hockey: Hockey ineptness since 2000

Old
11-06-2011, 05:06 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Glover View Post
Columbus Blue Jacket Hockey: Hockey ineptness since 2000
With a nod towards Skraut

Columbus Blue Jackets Hockey:

providing your team with an ECHL level opponent since 2000.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 06:54 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

ugh

SunGarrioch Bruce Garrioch
"It would be the easy move but I don't like it." _ Sportsnet's Doug MacLean on bringing back Ken Hitchcock in Columbus