HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

My internet and slowdown issues

Old
10-18-2011, 10:47 PM
RobBrown4PM
Pringles?

vCash: 500
My internet and slowdown issues

I'm looking for some help with some problems I'm having with my internet connection.

I recently upgraded to Shaw's 100mbs modem, and since then I have noticed a significant slow down in my internet connection. I have the modem attached to my computer via lan line and no one else in the house is using the internet. Some of the issues I'm facing are as follows:

- Slow load times on youtube (anywhere between 40secs and a couple of minutes per video

- Flash videos and programs are extremely slow to load, and sometimes refuse to load all together.

- Websites, like HF boards, load a lot slower than what I'm used to.

I've been a customer with shaw for almost a decade and with their 20mbs modem I've never experienced any of these issues before and am wondering what the cause of the issues are.

I spoke with Shaw and they asked me to do a couple of speedtests online, to which I did. These are the results I got.

On speedtest.net I have averaged in dl speeds of 20-45mbs, this is not even close to what I'm paying for.

On Terago.ca my DL speeds vary between 22-45mbs, again a fraction of what I'm paying for.

However,

On speedtest.shaw.ca it say's I'm averaging 90-97mbs.

Afterwards the Shaw tech took me through some other work arounds on my side, but to no avail. I've got a tech comming next Monday, but I'm wondering if anyone on HF boards can help me.

I went speedguide.net and analyzed my connection, however I'm unsure as to what the majority of this information means.

TCP options string = 020405b40103030201010402
MTU = 1500
MTU is fully optimized for broadband.
MSS = 1460
Maximum useful data in each packet = 1460, which equals MSS.
Default TCP Receive Window (RWIN) = 65700
RWIN Scaling (RFC1323) = 2 bits (scale factor: 2^2=4)
Unscaled TCP Receive Window = 16425

In Windows 7, unless "TCP/IP Auto-Tuning" is disabled, only the Current TCP Window is displayed. Use the SG Vista TCP/IP patch instead of the TCP Optimizer for automatic tweaking.
RWIN is not fully optimized (even though it is a comparatively large number). The unscaled RWIN value is lower than it should be. Also, RWIN being close to and above 65535 does not justify the header overhead of enabling TCP 1323 Options. You might want to use one of the recommended RWIN values below.

RWIN is a multiple of MSS
Other RWIN values that might work well with your current MTU/MSS:
64240 (up to 2 Mbit lines, depending on latency. MSS * 44)
128480 (1-5 Mbit lines, depending on latency. MSS * 44 * 2)
256960 (2-14 Mbit lines, depending on latency. MSS * 44 * 2^2)
513920 (8-30 Mbit lines, depending on latency. MSS * 44 * 2^3)
1027840 (25-60 Mbit lines depending on latency. MSS * 44 * 2^4)
bandwidth * delay product (Note this is not a speed test):

Your TCP Window limits you to: 2628 kbps (329 KBytes/s) @ 200ms
Your TCP Window limits you to: 1051 kbps (131 KBytes/s) @ 500ms
MTU Discovery (RFC1191) = ON
Time to live left = 119 hops
TTL value is ok.
Timestamps (RFC1323) = OFF
Selective Acknowledgements (RFC2018) = ON
IP type of service field (RFC1349) = 00000000 (0)

SpeedGuide.net TCP Analyzer Results
Tested on: 10.18.2011 23:35
IP address: 70.75.xxx.xxx
Client OS: Windows 7

TCP options string: 020405b40103030201010402
MSS: 1460
MTU: 1500
TCP Window: 65700 (multiple of MSS)
RWIN Scaling: 2 bits (2^2=4)
Unscaled RWIN : 16425
Recommended RWINs: 64240, 128480, 256960, 513920, 1027840
BDP limit (200ms): 2628kbps (329KBytes/s)
BDP limit (500ms): 1051kbps (131KBytes/s)
MTU Discovery: ON
TTL: 119
Timestamps: OFF
SACKs: ON
IP ToS: 00000000 (0)

RobBrown4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 11:11 PM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

Send a message via MSN to Towers
Their SMC routers suck BAAAAAALLS.

Towers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 08:21 AM
neofury*

Dude they just suck balls. You may be in an area that is bad. Tell them since you only get 22-45mbit tops there's no way you're going to continue paying for 100mbit since it only works on their test. You aren't paying for 100mbit to sit there and browse Shaw's homepage all day, you're paying for it to use on the actual internet.

They'll understand and if they don't ***** until they give you a refund and downgrade your service back to what it was previously.

My dad had a similar problem with videotron only with the 50mbit line. We have it at work and I have it at my house with no problems. Well my dads never got past 25mbit, it was just the area. Once he moved he started getting 50 and funny part is he's in a much more remote neighborhood now. It's probably the people in your area destroying the bandwidth LOL, Shaw probably just sucks and can't handle the traffic and thus... they're charging you for bandwidth they themselves know in most cases they can't even supply. (Bell all over again)

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 09:03 AM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Shaw probably just sucks and can't handle the traffic and thus... they're charging you for bandwidth they themselves know in most cases they can't even supply. (Bell all over again)
Nah dude, it's their ******** SMC modem/routers. I swear. I had their old Motorola and had ZERO issues with warp (100MB) and then they made me switch their ******** SMC router and I have nothing but problems since. Worst ****ing router on the face of the ****ing planet. Never had so many problems with a modem/router before.

Old
10-19-2011, 10:53 AM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towers View Post
Nah dude, it's their ******** SMC modem/routers. I swear. I had their old Motorola and had ZERO issues with warp (100MB) and then they made me switch their ******** SMC router and I have nothing but problems since. Worst ****ing router on the face of the ****ing planet. Never had so many problems with a modem/router before.
I totally agree. Rogers carries the same SMC router and it sucks. I had to downgrade back to the extreme package from the extreme plus package, just to get rid of the SMC router. What a pain in the ass.

The French Canadian rule: Read about it, go to bed smarter.

http://ultimatehockeynetwork.com/the...-or-fiction-2/
loadie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 11:09 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by loadie View Post
I totally agree. Rogers carries the same SMC router and it sucks. I had to downgrade back to the extreme package from the extreme plus package, just to get rid of the SMC router. What a pain in the ass.
lol those package names are hilarious...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 11:42 AM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
lol those package names are hilarious...
lol....I know, but so was the service through the SMC.

loadie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 01:22 PM
Smelling Salt

Send a message via MSN to Smelling Salt
EDIT: NM I answered my own question by re-reading your post.

I would try posting this over at digitalhome.ca in the forums there. Shaw even monitors posts there and tend to help people.

Smelling Salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 01:27 PM
neofury*

Quote:
I've only ever had one of their products once way back in the day when I first started working for my dad out of his house. It was a piece of **** and yeah... it was a router.

However I've had similar issues without that router just having used Bell Also if they're on a shared line then for sure it could be some moron setting his max torrent connections to like 10000 per torrent or something ********

Old
10-19-2011, 01:43 PM
neofury*

PS: Never use an ISP supplier router or agree to use a modem/router combo. They're garbage, just go with a d-link or if you can a cisco, but at the very worst case scenario a linksys is usually good enough. Haven't had one in years since the last time linksys pissed me off, prior to that I was using them ironically cause d-link pissed me off

Now I've been using d-link for years and love it. My office is on cisco which has been perfection as well for years.

Old
10-19-2011, 01:47 PM
RobBrown4PM
Pringles?

A lot of these technical terms, such as SMC are beyond my level of understanding.

I dont think its the area, my family and I just moved last month not far from our old residence (just up the hill). Im hoping its not an 'area' problem, but if it is i'll complain for sure.

Is there anything that any of you see in the readouts Ive posted that can tell you what I can do, if anything to resolve any of my issues, if not I can wait for the shaw tech and wait for their assistance and hope they can resolve it.

I have been a loyal shaw cosutmer for over a decade and this is the first real problem i've ever had with shaws internet service.

RobBrown4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 01:55 PM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

SMC is the brand of router. Its complete ****ing garbage and it makes no sense because Shaw is partnered with Cisco so why not use their routers?

Old
10-19-2011, 02:49 PM
neofury*

Quote:
SMC is the brand of router. Its complete ****ing garbage and it makes no sense because Shaw is partnered with Cisco so why not use their routers?
It all boils down to $. They'd rather give you crap and make more money off of you. Think about it, Cisco owns Linksys so it isn't like they have to give you a 200$ Cicco router for a ****ing router. A 50$ retail Linksys which they could probably get at cost would suffice (30-40$ for them??) but no, they'd rather buy smc and make an extra 20$ per customer.

SMC is beyond ******. I've never used netgear either but I can only imagine it isn't as good as other brands or else IT people would actually use it frequently.