HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#5 Kings vs Blues 10/18/11 - POST GAME THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Closed Thread

Old
10-19-2011, 03:18 PM
KingsCorona

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
Stoll will probably be let go in favour of Loki because it saves us 3m in cap space to go after a replacement for Penner
Probably a good move, although I have to say, I'd miss Stoll.

Old
10-19-2011, 03:28 PM
bobafettish*

The real question is do we trade stoll at the deadline.
If we don't i think it's certain that we dont resign him unless he takes a big paycut.

Old
10-19-2011, 03:35 PM
DaAnimal

Great opener. Best one I've been to so far. However we are still far from being compared to the east coast teams or any other canadien teams. Did any of you guys see the guy with the dance moves towards the end? Daaaaaaaaamn lol. Friend and I were chanting elllllliot when halak was pulled out. My friend kept saying seeeeennnnnaaators lol, a lot of people were a bit annoyed, then I realized we werent in hockey town. Disappointed that some fans have no love for the game. Nonetheless I was thrilled that everyone stood up in the last minute.

Quick played great.

Our d was great

First and second line were awesome.

Overall great performance from everyone, even penner.

This team can win without doughnuts, his presence will just makenus even better/deadlier.

Onto phoenix, we usually get outplayed by Phoenix every time, hopefully this year will be different.

PS I love the blues jersey.

GO KINGS GO

Old
10-19-2011, 03:39 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
If we don't i think it's certain that we dont resign him unless he takes a big paycut.
hell no, why on earth would a team looking to win the cup, trade an important player like that?

Old
10-19-2011, 03:44 PM
tantrum4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
If we are in the playoff hunt at the deadline, there is ZERO reason to trade Stoll. We'd only get back draft picks and maybe a mid level prospect who would be no help to us in the playoffs like Stoll would be.

Old
10-19-2011, 03:51 PM
bobafettish*

Quote:
hell no, why on earth would a team looking to win the cup, trade an important player like that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrum4 View Post
If we are in the playoff hunt at the deadline, there is ZERO reason to trade Stoll. We'd only get back draft picks and maybe a mid level prospect who would be no help to us in the playoffs like Stoll would be.
to make room for an upgrade at LW

Hemsky

Parise

Semin

Old
10-19-2011, 03:54 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Stoll had his first good game of the season, and as Bob mentioned on the broadcast, his first multi-point game since January.

He will not be traded because there would not be any kind of demand, he would fetch a pick or a mid-level prospect, neither of which helps us this season. Better off having him on the roster for depth purposes.

Once the season ends he is gone, just no room on the roster for him, especially at his current salary. Perhaps if he took a major paycut he could be an option at the 3rd line RW spot, but the Kings gotta get Loktionov in the lineup next season.

Stoll is almost 30 with no upside, he is what he is. Loktionov is 21 with a ton of upside to be a potential impact type player. It's a no brainer.

Old
10-19-2011, 04:14 PM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Im going to stand by what i have said for over a season, that Doughty has no idea how to qb a pp. The pp looked so much better with Voynov on the point instead. Doughty has 0 movement and when he gets the puck only ever looks to shoot or pass back to the other point. The only problem is that he is our only right handed shot so we kind of need him on the top unit. When VV eventually makes the team full time, i hope he takes that spot on the top pp, won't happen though unfortunately
No offense, sw1tch, but this is completely ridiculous.

Last year the PP just didnt work out but have you forgotten how Drew did run the PP two years ago ? People even called him overrated because of the powerplay and the points he scored on the PP. In the PO against the Canucks he was a beast on PP and now he has no idea how to qb a pp ?

Old
10-19-2011, 04:23 PM
SFKingshomer

Stoll continues to be underappreciated

Old
10-19-2011, 04:27 PM
Seventyx7
Carter Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
Yep.

Old
10-19-2011, 04:40 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3 View Post
No offense, sw1tch, but this is completely ridiculous.

Last year the PP just didnt work out but have you forgotten how Drew did run the PP two years ago ? People even called him overrated because of the powerplay and the points he scored on the PP. In the PO against the Canucks he was a beast on PP and now he has no idea how to qb a pp ?
2 years ago, as much as people had to admit it, Stoll was our pp qb. For the most part, Doughty just fed him 1 timers over and over again. Now that actually opened up shooting lanes for Doughty which he took advantage of, so it worked nicely

Last year JJ and Doughty were primarily used as qb's and it didnt work at all because Doughty just doesnt move from the left point. Just watch him, very very very rarely do you see him sneak down low opening up a passing lane. Hell very very rarely do you see him in a position with his stick up ready to 1 time a pass if it comes his way. I said all last year Doughty should just be taking Stoll spot in 1 timer-ing everything that comes his way, but he very rarely does. It isnt even tough for him to what Stamkos does which is stand in the left circle, lift your stick up, wait for the puck, shoot but he much prefers the option of touch passing it back to Johnson.

He is obviously super gifted offensively, so he can and im sure will learn how to effectively play qb a pp, but right now, and all last year, all you have to do is watch him and you will see how he just no creativity when he doesnt have the puck on the pp

Old
10-19-2011, 04:52 PM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
2 years ago, as much as people had to admit it, Stoll was our pp qb. For the most part, Doughty just fed him 1 timers over and over again. Now that actually opened up shooting lanes for Doughty which he took advantage of, so it worked nicely

Last year JJ and Doughty were primarily used as qb's and it didnt work at all because Doughty just doesnt move from the left point. Just watch him, very very very rarely do you see him sneak down low opening up a passing lane. Hell very very rarely do you see him in a position with his stick up ready to 1 time a pass if it comes his way. I said all last year Doughty should just be taking Stoll spot in 1 timer-ing everything that comes his way, but he very rarely does. It isnt even tough for him to what Stamkos does which is stand in the left circle, lift your stick up, wait for the puck, shoot but he much prefers the option of touch passing it back to Johnson.

He is obviously super gifted offensively, so he can and im sure will learn how to effectively play qb a pp, but right now, and all last year, all you have to do is watch him and you will see how he just no creativity when he doesnt have the puck on the pp
I will take a better look at Drew now because of what you just said. Still, there's a huge grea area between "no idea how to qb a PP" and "no creativity as qb".

Old
10-19-2011, 04:56 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3 View Post
I will take a better look at Drew now because of what you just said. Still, there's a huge grea area between "no idea how to qb a PP" and "no creativity as qb".
ye i probably worded it badly, since he is still better than most, he just leaves a lot to be desired and watching Voynov actually move around yesterday trying to open up a lane for Kopi reminded me of how Drew never does that

a good example is, all last year, how many times did Kopitar thread a pass through the box for a Doughty 1 timer. I would bravely say that the answer is 0 times

Old
10-19-2011, 05:02 PM
son of earl

Send a message via AIM to son of earl
I would say kopitar was on main PP qb but as we often forget our best 2 way dman are young and have only been in the Nhl for 4 and 5 years they will only get better as they get older. Defensemen play a lot higher level of a game a lot later in age.

But that was a great game can't wait for Saturday its great to have hockey back in full swing in LA

Old
10-19-2011, 05:26 PM
cyclones22

We'll see once Doughty comes back, but from what I can see, the reason our PP is better this year is having 2 forwards on the first unit who can actually make passes as opposed to the other team just waiting for Kopi to pass and wait for a perimeter shot. Having Richards AND Kopi out there at the same time is huge because they both can pass and finish. That threat from the half boards to down low opens up space for everyone else.

Old
10-19-2011, 05:53 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Anyone else notice what a disruptive force Richards is?

He is so positionally sound and so good defensively. He stopped the Blues yesterday from going into our zone a few times. What a difference it makes to have a #2 centre behind Kopi.

This team is only going to get better as they gel get used to playing each other.

Old
10-19-2011, 05:59 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerniernextRoy View Post
Anyone else notice what a disruptive force Richards is?

He is so positionally sound and so good defensively. He stopped the Blues yesterday from going into our zone a few times. What a difference it makes to have a #2 centre behind Kopi.

This team is only going to get better as they gel get used to playing each other.
Richards is a great backchecker. Two top centers that both backcheck is a real asset. Makes it much easier on the defensemen.

Old
10-19-2011, 07:34 PM
Nex06

Doughty as PP QB. Doughty was playing better at that position during some stretches of previous seasons. When I was watching Voynov I remember I thought to myself: Hey, that is what Doughty used to be doing. Since Doughty obviously has no problems doing the same or better, I assume it was some strange instructions he received from coaches that made him change his behavior. I assume the one that said "All shots come from you, it's the way PP has been played for last 50 years." To say that Voynov will take that job from Doughty is just... well, strange.

Quote:
a good example is, all last year, how many times did Kopitar thread a pass through the box for a Doughty 1 timer. I would bravely say that the answer is 0 times
Bravery is not always the best action.

Halak's last goal. Everyone has been saying how that shouldn't have gone in. Yeah sure, goalies get those. Usually. But not always. Give credit where credit is due. Kopitar is shooting from those positions much more this season and he is keeping goalies on toes all the time. He made a very quick decision to shoot, which makes me think that he did spot something and it wasn't just "I don't know what to do, I'll just shoot it in that direction." The shot came behind a dman and it had perfect height, just hitting top of the pad. The fact that it even made it that far makes me think, that there was a reason for the quick decision. Bottom line: if the best players shoot when they think it's good to shoot, there are going to be goals. Basic probability suggests that every goalie will miss shot like that once in a while.

Quote:
2 years ago, as much as people had to admit it, Stoll was our pp qb.
And he was terrible at it, not to mention that he got out of position often. I think that a PP with Stoll being the QB on it, just can't be very good. As much as Stoll can and is very useful in certain situations, he just doesn't have the required puck handling skills in my opinion.
Stoll will not be as easy to replace as some might think. He has some very good skills, like shot and FO, but he is not a very complete player and that is where applicants for the spot will be tested. If Loktionov can show good playmaking, puckhandling skills, good effort and defensive workrate, he should prove to be more useful to the team than Stoll.

Old
10-19-2011, 08:35 PM
nocturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
Agree 1000%

Stoll today is the "Muzz" of 99-00.

Old
10-19-2011, 09:18 PM
Stupid Sexy Flanders

Sexy's thoughts:
  • 1st-line chemistry obviously looks great
  • My prediction that Penner will be waived or traded in Nov is looking good. What a doosh.
  • Voynov didn't impress me, but I guess he didn't screw up too bad.
  • Bring back Richardson-Lewis-Clifford!
  • I can't see A-Mart's ceiling. He could become really really good.
  • I'm agnostic on Stoll & Greene. Probably valuable to keep this year.

Old
10-19-2011, 09:36 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturn View Post
Agree 1000%

Stoll today is the "Muzz" of 99-00.

How is Stoll under appreciated when almost everyone on this board has sang his praises since he got here?

There were numerous people (including SFKingsHomer) who argued for years that he was a quality second line player despite his play proving otherwise.

He is a 3rd line player that does some things well (shootout, faceoffs, skating, penalty kill) and some things not so well (PP, game sense, consistency)

He is fine where he is as a 3rd line center, but the Kings simply have a younger, cheaper player with higher upside waiting in the wings. There is no way the Kings can justify re-signing Stoll to a multi-year deal after this season, he has simply run his course here.

Old
10-19-2011, 09:51 PM
SFKingshomer

I said he was a fine filler until Schenn or Loktionov are ready but more suited for the 3rd line. He will re-sign at a lower rate.

Old
10-19-2011, 09:54 PM
SFKingshomer

Loktionov better gain some size and strenght and work on his faceoffs if he plans to take a job from Stoll. If anything Lewis will takeover for Stoll if LA doesn't re-sign him

Old
10-19-2011, 10:19 PM
no name

On the Blue pre game show David Backes called Jack Johnson one of the most underrated defenseman in hockey and just as good as Drew Doughty "or anyone really". He said "he is one of those guys that you play against and want to hate due to his playing style. Then you meet him and it's like, man, that is one cool dude. It's the ultimate compliment you can pay an opposing player".

Old
10-19-2011, 10:42 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
On the Blue pre game show David Backes called Jack Johnson one of the most underrated defenseman in hockey and just as good as Drew Doughty "or anyone really". He said "he is one of those guys that you play against and want to hate due to his playing style. Then you meet him and it's like, man, that is one cool dude. It's the ultimate compliment you can pay an opposing player".
Awesome to hear. They have played a lot together for the national team. The fact that he acknowledged he is a good guy was nice to hear to. I remember when people tried to paint him and his family as bad people, he was going to bolt to the KHL, he was going to milk the Kings for every dime etc. It really couldn't be further from the truth. Johnson comes from a great family and he himself is a very likeable and nice guy.

Kings are really lucky to have him.

Closed Thread