HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Greene ain't cutting it

Old
10-19-2011, 06:19 PM
no name

vCash: 500
People in this thread have said he is slow and is not smart defensively. I don't see this at all. Maybe I have low standards for defensive performance but I think Matt's one and only downside for the job that he is asked to do is that he is just too aggresive. He takes too many penalties due to him being far too physical.

He takes good angles, is strong in the crease, has a smart stick and isn't afraid to get physical.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 07:12 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Man some of you are overly critical. Sure, Greene has had his momentary lapses in reasoning, as has every defenseman on the roster. Had it been up to the fans, Johnson would have been long gone. Greene does his job well.

He's a stay at home dman who has constantly led the team in blocked shots and hits among dmen. As no name just mentioned, he does tend to be overaggressive at times, but he is still a solid dman.

He'll be here for a while. There is no prospect that is ready to step in for Greene.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 07:29 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
I feel like some fans will criticize any slow guy that makes a handful of glaring mistakes. I think anyone who has watched a ton of Kings' games will clearly see why we have Matt Greene on the ice.

Are these the kind of fans that would want a Hickey-Doughty-Voinov-Muzzin-Johnson-nodefense blue line? Are these the fans that claim that physicality is on its way out? Matt Greene is sadly probably the most hated King currently.

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 07:31 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Man some of you are overly critical. Sure, Greene has had his momentary lapses in reasoning, as has every defenseman on the roster. Had it been up to the fans, Johnson would have been long gone. Greene does his job well.

He's a stay at home dman who has constantly led the team in blocked shots and hits among dmen. As no name just mentioned, he does tend to be overaggressive at times, but he is still a solid dman.

He'll be here for a while. There is no prospect that is ready to step in for Greene.
He brings something that I think we can all agree no other King d-man brings.

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 07:33 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Greene is ok as a #6 d-man, as someone mentioned he is valuable clearing out the front of the net on the PP and provides a physical presence, but the Kings need to be really careful about making sure he isn't out there against quicker players, because it becomes a major major problem. When we are at home there is no reason Greene should ever be out there against a #1 or #2 line.

Looking back to last years playoffs Greene has 11 minor penalties in 11 games.

Interference
Highsticking x3
Slashing x3
Cross checking
Delay of game
Tripping
Elbowing

That is an insanely high number that needs to be cut down drastically. Greene simply has to be smarter.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 08:52 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post

Interference
Highsticking x3
Slashing x3
Cross checking
Delay of game
Tripping
Elbowing

That is an insanely high number that needs to be cut down drastically. Greene simply has to be smarter.
Did I miss something? When did they play 11 games in the playoffs in one round?

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 08:54 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Greene is ok as a #6 d-man, as someone mentioned he is valuable clearing out the front of the net on the PP and provides a physical presence, but the Kings need to be really careful about making sure he isn't out there against quicker players, because it becomes a major major problem. When we are at home there is no reason Greene should ever be out there against a #1 or #2 line.

Interference
Highsticking x3
Slashing x3
Cross checking
Delay of game
Tripping
Elbowing

At what point did Greene play 11 games in one playoffs?

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 08:59 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

6 playoff games + 5 regular season games this year = 11

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 10:03 PM
Quattro

I guess when Greene, Brown and Penner, 3 guys that any team in the league would take in a nanosecond, are our whipping boys, that bodes well for this team

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 10:08 PM
onlyalad

Quote:
6 playoff games + 5 regular season games this year = 11
Greene in the Playoffs last year had 14 pim in 6 games.
Players that had 2 pim/game in the playoffs last year
Maxim Lapierre, Milan Lucic, Kevin Bieksa, Ben Eager, Steve Downie, Aaron Rome, Jamie McGinn, Daniel Carcillo, Jordin Tootoo, Scott Hartnell, John Scott, Justin Abdelkader, Wayne Simmonds, Wayne Simmonds, George Parros, Tyler Myers, Kevin Westgarth, Brooks Orpik, Bryan McCabe, Sheldon Brookbank, Maxime Talbot, Sean Avery, Jarkko Ruutu, Zac Rinaldo and my favorite player who racked 2 minutes or more in penalties per game Teemu Selanne and I got tired of copying and pasting here.
So we can forget about using the playoffs to artificially boast this years numbers.

During the first couple of weeks of a new season more penalties are typically called as players and refs try to test the bounds of the reinterpretation of the rules. So even given the Flyers penalty fiasco game, Greene is doing fine. Last season, when we all thought of him as a warrior, Greene took 68 minutes in 71 games. That is a whooping 2 more minutes then Doughty and 3 more than Brown.

Greene is doing fine. He has one game with 3 penalties in which breathing hard could get you 2 in the box. He has 2 penalties in the other 4 games combined. So his numbers this year are lining up with last year.

I don't know if this is a joke thread or just a misunderstanding of what to expect from Greene. Yes he gets more penalties than most of the Kings players, but that is his job. He uses his body, stick and courage to prevent the other team from using theirs.

onlyalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 10:19 PM
FriendsForever

Matt Greene has been bad for awhile not just these first 5 games. This wasn't some knee jerk post, I've been thinking about this issue since the middle of last season. You guys act like Matt Greene takes penalties because he's filling the "nasty" role he's expected to, I doubt that. More likely Matt Greene takes penalties because he's a horrible skater. He's more than just slow, he lacks balance, agility and smoothness.

FriendsForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 10:34 PM
SFKingshomer

I like Greene and think he's good but it would be awesome to get Gleason back. They can send Ruutu with him if they insist.

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 11:28 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

While I have posted a few posts suggesting trading Greene, I must say that I absolutely love the fact that we have a team on which a guy like Matt Greene is arguably the most unliked (not hated, that's to strong a word) player. I'm sure someone will eventually rightfully become our whipping boy, but until then I love this team for what it is.

I think anyone who honestly wants to see Greene shipped out just because, and not because of a simply "to good to be true" type of offer, should dig around in some of the posts from past years. I'm sure posts that discuss how Yannick Lehoux and Jared Aulin are the future, or how we are counting on a big year from Aki Berg and Jamie Storr to lead us to glory will drive home just how great this team really is. I mean really? Until last year we had at least one Randy Jones/Denis Gauthier/Maxim Kuznetsov type player on our blueline logging good minutes. This team, and Matt Greene, simply rocks. Period.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 12:17 AM
hauspaint
what? Kings WON?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
I like Greene and think he's good but it would be awesome to get Gleason back. They can send Ruutu with him if they insist.
I would love to get Timmy back.. what do you think it would take?

hauspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 01:04 AM
cyclones22

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
Matt's one and only downside for the job that he is asked to do is that he is just too aggresive. He takes too many penalties due to him being far too physical.
This is exactly what I think as well. He gets that extra little shot in there and gets penalized. It's not like I see him constantly getting beat and called for hooking. His aggression needs to be reigned in a little, but I think his actual defending is fine.

cyclones22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 02:51 AM
Docgonzo
Triple Crown Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendsForever View Post
More likely Matt Greene takes penalties because he's a horrible skater. He's more than just slow, he lacks balance, agility and smoothness.
Like somebody else said, Greene had 2 more PIMs than Doughty. So does that make Doughty slow, lacking balance, agility and smoothness? Cause they both have close to the exact PIMs.

The biggest fault I see with Greene, is like what Herby said, he gets exposed by quicker skaters. But as our #5 he's fine, I don't see VV, Muzzin, Hickey muscling Getzlaf, Thornton and the other big body centers.

Docgonzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 03:09 AM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
I think the real issue here is that we all agree we want Voynov in the top 6 even when everyone is healthy. That means either Martinez or Greene would need to sit.

We don't know for a fact if at this very moment Voynov is better than Martinez but we should find out relatively soon.

Voynov and Greene have completly different styles so it is unfair to Greene. But I can't say for a fact Martinez-Greene is better than Martinez-Voynov when you look at overall team standing. I love Greene's locker room presence, physical play, and his "I'll do everything for this team attitude".

This is just like our goaltending, we have d-men ready to make a jump to the NHL. Bernier is trying to take Quick's spot and Voynov/Hickey are trying to replace Martinez/Greene.

Loktionov is pushing Stoll and Lewis and now if only a couple of our forwards could start to push our top wingers..

Last edited by Kingz4life: 10-20-2011 at 03:19 AM.
Kingz4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 10:40 AM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

There is no Eric Gustaffson!!!

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:52 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingz4life View Post
I think the real issue here is that we all agree we want Voynov in the top 6 even when everyone is healthy. That means either Martinez or Greene would need to sit.

We don't know for a fact if at this very moment Voynov is better than Martinez but we should find out relatively soon.

Voynov and Greene have completly different styles so it is unfair to Greene. But I can't say for a fact Martinez-Greene is better than Martinez-Voynov when you look at overall team standing. I love Greene's locker room presence, physical play, and his "I'll do everything for this team attitude".

This is just like our goaltending, we have d-men ready to make a jump to the NHL. Bernier is trying to take Quick's spot and Voynov/Hickey are trying to replace Martinez/Greene.

Loktionov is pushing Stoll and Lewis and now if only a couple of our forwards could start to push our top wingers..
Matt Greene is not going to sit in favor of Voynov. Terry Murray is the coach, end of argument. Voynov goes back to Manchester, I really don't think it matters how well he plays.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 12:03 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauspaint View Post
I would love to get Timmy back.. what do you think it would take?
Just wait until the summer. I think he'd be a perfect replacement for Willie Mitchell next year.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 12:17 PM
Quattro

Quote:
I don't agree with that. Voynov has yet to prove he deserves a spot over Martinez. Martinez obviously beat him out in camp and has played well so far this year.

Old
10-20-2011, 05:21 PM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
I don't agree with that. Voynov has yet to prove he deserves a spot over Martinez. Martinez obviously beat him out in camp and has played well so far this year.
Very true, but Voynov as an NHL regular is quickly on the horizon. Martinez has played very well but Voynov is close to him and has more potential it seems.

Kingz4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 06:43 PM
Quattro

Quote:
Very true, but Voynov as an NHL regular is quickly on the horizon. Martinez has played very well but Voynov is close to him and has more potential it seems.
I don't disagree, but potential is just that and shouldn't determine a spot. VV should only replace A-mart when and if he plays better than him.

Old
10-20-2011, 07:07 PM
Pucknut50

Matt Greene is fine as a 3rd pairing defenseman. Lets work on a quicker 4th line please.

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 07:14 PM
Bad Will Hunting
It's my fault

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucknut50 View Post
Matt Greene is fine as a 3rd pairing defenseman. Lets work on a quicker 4th line please.
We should put a jet pack on Westgarth

Bad Will Hunting is offline   Reply With Quote