HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What are we going to do? (defence)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-19-2011, 08:49 AM
  #1
ClasslessGuy
Registered User
 
ClasslessGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: St-Jean, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,816
vCash: 567
What are we going to do? (defence)

Ok so right now for next year we only have Markov and Weber signed for next year.

Lets say Emelin, Diaz and Weber keep the same pace. What are we doing next year?

Spacek and Campoli is 99% gona at the end. Pretty sure we will resign Gill for another year. Subban, Emelin, Diaz, Gorges will all come back.

Do you see a problem with that defence?

Markov Subban
Gorges Diaz
Emelin Weber
Gill

Prospect coming: Beaulieu

Yes this D is young and as a lot of potential but we have almost 5/8 offensive minded player...

At some point a young player will have to be traded or something.... Who would you trade in that group? Weber?

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 08:56 AM
  #2
BeerHell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chubaka View Post
Ok so right now for next year we only have Markov and Weber signed for next year.

Lets say Emelin, Diaz and Weber keep the same pace. What are we doing next year?

Spacek and Campoli is 99% gona at the end. Pretty sure we will resign Gill for another year. Subban, Emelin, Diaz, Gorges will all come back.

Do you see a problem with that defence?

Markov Subban
Gorges Diaz
Emelin Weber
Gill

Prospect coming: Beaulieu

Yes this D is young and as a lot of potential but we have almost 5/8 offensive minded player...

At some point a young player will have to be traded or something.... Who would you trade in that group? Weber?

you answered your own question, I do nto see the Habs resigning Gill next year, at least I hope Not.

As far as your question goes, seriously, I'd hope we'd bring one more experienced player, For example Nashvilel won't resign both Weber and Suter, let's try and make a trade Using a pick(s) and/or weber/diaz, for negotiating right of one of them.

BeerHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 08:58 AM
  #3
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 32,473
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chubaka View Post
Ok so right now for next year we only have Markov and Weber signed for next year.

Lets say Emelin, Diaz and Weber keep the same pace. What are we doing next year?

Spacek and Campoli is 99% gona at the end. Pretty sure we will resign Gill for another year. Subban, Emelin, Diaz, Gorges will all come back.

Do you see a problem with that defence?

Markov Subban
Gorges Diaz
Emelin Weber
Gill

Prospect coming: Beaulieu

Yes this D is young and as a lot of potential but we have almost 5/8 offensive minded player...

At some point a young player will have to be traded or something.... Who would you trade in that group? Weber?
I think after this year you let Gill walk and spend 3.5-4 mil on a guy that's strong defensively...Stuart Mitchell Suter(would cost a lot more) Coburn Allen Gleason. Offensively with Markov Subban Weber Diaz Yemelin things are fine.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 09:01 AM
  #4
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,875
vCash: 256
Sign Gorges to a long term deal

Let Gill and Spacek walk. Campoli it all depends how he does when he returns, maybe he will blend in well so we got to wait

Gorges, Markov, Subban, Diaz, Yemelin and Weber

We need to go after an UFA or go via trade but we need another top 2 or 3 defenseman

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 09:05 AM
  #5
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Maxpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 14,873
vCash: 500
I thought you ment this year before I opened the thread, and my answer was going to be, NOTHING! This is by far the most fun defense we've had in years. I just love the mobility back there and I love that from game to game we see improvements from Diaz, Emelin and Weber. The only thing I want is Gill gone for a D that's much meaner, like Bryan Allen or John Erskine until Tinordi is ready.

But for next year, other then Subban they will all cost pretty cheap, I don't think we're anywhere close to having cap issues.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 09:07 AM
  #6
Andy
Moderator
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
I thought you ment this year befOre I opened the thread, and my answer was going to be, NOTHING! This is by far the most fun defense we've had in years. I just love the mobility back there and I love that from game to game we see improvements from Diaz, Emelin and Weber. The only thing I want is Gill gone for a D that's much meaner, like Bryan Allen or John Erskine until Tinordi is ready.

But for next year, other then Subban they will all cost pretty cheap, I don't think we're anywhere close to having cap issues.
This.

This year's defense is fun to watch. Nice to look at the D and see 4 guys who can skate with the puck and actually move!

Diaz and Yemelin should be resigned.

Markov
Subban Gorges
Diaz Yemelin

I'd like to see one big-time minute eating top 3 d-man ala Hamrlik signed or traded for next year.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 09:10 AM
  #7
gillyguzzler
Registered User
 
gillyguzzler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,804
vCash: 500
For next year, Spacek and Gill are gone so it's no big deal. However, for this year, let's say that Spacek is back in two weeks - one of the present 6 needs to sit (Diaz?). And let's say Markov comes back in December - two of the present 6 need to sit (Diaz and Emelin?). And if Campoli returns in January, three need to sit (Diaz, Emelin and Weber?). Problem is that Diaz, Emelin and Weber have actually played well and seem to be improving every game. PK's was better last night after a horrible start and Gorges is very important. The elephant in the room seems to be Hall Gill. He's still valuable on the pk but that's about it. I'd personally like to see Emelin, who's got good upside, play instead of Hal Gill when the time comes.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 01:06 PM
  #8
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Kingbobert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Greece
Posts: 4,706
vCash: 500
if diaz and emelin keep playing like yesterday...nothing

yesterday Gill and Weber were the least effective defencemen (not saying were bad)
If things continue this way and they finish the season strong keep them and then we have a nice young Dcore that can grow with price

If subban can actually continue to grow, next year he's manning the 2nd duo

Markov-Gorges
Subban-Diaz
Weber-Emelin

My ideal would be Markov-Gorges-Subban all locked down longterm (Markov already is)
Atleast 2 of the 3 euros (diaz, webs, emelin)

And pick up a steady physical D

Kingbobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 01:11 PM
  #9
bcv
My french sucks.
 
bcv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,980
vCash: 500
Next year? This :

Suter - Subban
Markov - Emelin
Gorges - Weber
Diaz

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 01:18 PM
  #10
Paddyjack
Registered User
 
Paddyjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 250
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyguzzler View Post
For next year, Spacek and Gill are gone so it's no big deal. However, for this year, let's say that Spacek is back in two weeks - one of the present 6 needs to sit (Diaz?). And let's say Markov comes back in December - two of the present 6 need to sit (Diaz and Emelin?). And if Campoli returns in January, three need to sit (Diaz, Emelin and Weber?). Problem is that Diaz, Emelin and Weber have actually played well and seem to be improving every game. PK's was better last night after a horrible start and Gorges is very important. The elephant in the room seems to be Hall Gill. He's still valuable on the pk but that's about it. I'd personally like to see Emelin, who's got good upside, play instead of Hal Gill when the time comes.
I wouldn't worry too much about that, there will be other injuries further down the line for sure.

Paddyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 01:23 PM
  #11
WestIslander
Registered User
 
WestIslander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,365
vCash: 500
This year:

Markov - Gorges
Gill - Subban
Diaz - Emelin
Weber
Spacek

Next year:

Markov - Coburn
Subban - Gorges
Diaz - Emelin
Weber

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 01:31 PM
  #12
29dryden29
Registered User
 
29dryden29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: London Ont
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,104
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerHell View Post
you answered your own question, I do nto see the Habs resigning Gill next year, at least I hope Not.

As far as your question goes, seriously, I'd hope we'd bring one more experienced player, For example Nashvilel won't resign both Weber and Suter, let's try and make a trade Using a pick(s) and/or weber/diaz, for negotiating right of one of them.
The Preds have a tough battle they have Weber RFA at 7.5 this season you know he will want that or more from them next year and he has arbitration rights next season. They then also have to try to resign Pekka and Suter and they are both UFA after this season. No way with their self imposed mid point salary cap will they fit all 3 at the money they will command. I say we send Suter an offer and also send Weber and offersheet. Then we see where the Preds go when the dust clears.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 01:33 PM
  #13
Natedawg
Lars Eller
 
Natedawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,777
vCash: 500
Diaz and Emelin are improving leaps and bounds each game. Fun to watch. Also props to Weber who is a completely different player since the Regular Season started.

Natedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 01:37 PM
  #14
BeerHell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
The Preds have a tough battle they have Weber RFA at 7.5 this season you know he will want that or more from them next year and he has arbitration rights next season. They then also have to try to resign Pekka and Suter and they are both UFA after this season. No way with their self imposed mid point salary cap will they fit all 3 at the money they will command. I say we send Suter an offer and also send Weber and offersheet. Then we see where the Preds go when the dust clears.
Both are accepted, not match by preds who'd rather go with 4 1st round picks... and then we are F*&?(

I 'd rather we aim for one, trade before 1st of july let's say Webber/Diaz and a 4th this year + a first next year if said player signs with us.

BeerHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 01:37 PM
  #15
Frank Doby
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 146
vCash: 500
Diaz and Emelin are improving each game. Maybe, it is too soon to press on the panic button. In December, Markow should be there, 100%. It will change the time on ice for many ones on the defensive corps, for the better.

Frank Doby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 01:41 PM
  #16
bcv
My french sucks.
 
bcv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,980
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerHell View Post
Both are accepted, not match by preds who'd rather go with 4 1st round picks... and then we are F*&?(

I 'd rather we aim for one, trade before 1st of july let's say Webber/Diaz and a 4th this year + a first next year if said player signs with us.
Suter is UFA, the only pick we would send back to nsh is if we traded picks for his rights before July 1st.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 01:43 PM
  #17
Lafleurs Guy
Moderator
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 25,745
vCash: 500
Well, hopefully Markov can come back strong and we don't need to do anything.

Assuming this doesn't happen (and there's a very good chance that it won't) then we'll probably wind up paying another 2nd rounder for a patchwork fix again.

The Wiz trade last year was actually a really good one. He was a young blueliner who looked ready to go to the next level and we wouldn't have made the playoffs without him. It's just too bad we couldn't hang on to him because he would've been great for us this year. He wanted too much cash though and you can't blame us for letting him walk.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 01:53 PM
  #18
hogtownhabsfan*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,727
vCash: 500
Count me in amongst those that want us to throw some money at a top FA. Suter would be great, but Coburn might make more sense.

Coburn-Subban
Markov-Gorges
Emelin-Weber/Diaz

Really think Weber and Diaz are competing for the #6 D spot long term, everything else falls into place nicely...

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 01:54 PM
  #19
Lafleurs Guy
Moderator
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 25,745
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Count me in amongst those that want us to throw some money at a top FA. Suter would be great, but Coburn might make more sense.

Coburn-Subban
Markov-Gorges
Emelin-Weber/Diaz

Really think Weber and Diaz are competing for the #6 D spot long term, everything else falls into place nicely...
I'd be very surprised if Suter goes FA.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 02:00 PM
  #20
hogtownhabsfan*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I think after this year you let Gill walk and spend 3.5-4 mil on a guy that's strong defensively...Stuart Mitchell Suter(would cost a lot more) Coburn Allen Gleason. Offensively with Markov Subban Weber Diaz Yemelin things are fine.
I agree with this 100%, ideally someone with some good size and toughness.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 02:02 PM
  #21
HardcoreHab
A Man With No Plan
 
HardcoreHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kingston, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 821
vCash: 1035
Why do so many people assume Gorges will be around next year? I wouldn't be surprised to see him have a really good year and cash in somewhere else. Don't get me wrong, I don't want that. I can just see it happening.

HardcoreHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 02:02 PM
  #22
Paul Dipietro
Registered User
 
Paul Dipietro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 757
vCash: 500
Not saying that plucking a few Ds from Nashville wouldn't be awesome, but we're likely looking at Frederic St. Denis entering the mix next year (assuming we don't need him this year)

Was decent during pre-season, and as much as I try not buy into RDS' propaganda wrt "les p'**** gars de chez nous", he really does remind me of a poor man's Gorges. Could do worse for a bottom pairing. Unless of course we manage to sign a guy that's a foot taller...

Paul Dipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 02:07 PM
  #23
bcv
My french sucks.
 
bcv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,980
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I'd be very surprised if Suter goes FA.
Why? IMO, it's 90% he hits the market, with him and Rinne who needs big pay raise, plus they need to re-sign Weber to atleast 7.5 per. With their internal cap, there is no way they can sign all three.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 02:25 PM
  #24
BeerHell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
Suter is UFA, the only pick we would send back to nsh is if we traded picks for his rights before July 1st.
Suter is UFA Weber is RFA... he was proposing to make an offer july 1st to Suter and an offersheet to Weber. the 4 ist pick were for weber. in case of offer sheet.

I'd say we trade for 1 of them before the draft, Weber/Diaz + 4th + conditional 1st in 2012 or 2013 if the player signs with us.

BeerHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 02:28 PM
  #25
Lafleurs Guy
Moderator
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 25,745
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
Why? IMO, it's 90% he hits the market, with him and Rinne who needs big pay raise, plus they need to re-sign Weber to atleast 7.5 per. With their internal cap, there is no way they can sign all three.
I can see him being dealt before he goes FA. Or being signed and then having them deal somebody afterwards. If they let him walk for nothing somebody over there should be shot. Besides isn't he an RFA? If that's the case we have no shot at him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerHell View Post
Suter is UFA Weber is RFA... he was proposing to make an offer july 1st to Suter and an offersheet to Weber. the 4 ist pick were for weber. in case of offer sheet.

I'd say we trade for 1 of them before the draft, Weber/Diaz + 4th + conditional 1st in 2012 or 2013 if the player signs with us.
I say we give them Ryder, Halak and a 3rd.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:57 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.