HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Tyler Myers - Is something wrong?

Old
10-19-2011, 07:38 PM
Better Call Saul

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
We need to move a defenseman so badly....Weber should be ****ing playing.
Because depth is so useless, right?

Better Call Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 09:38 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok89 View Post
Why can't Myers play the left? Right-handed shot and he could actually hit a one-timer for once.
He'd also be on his backhand trying to keep pucks in around the wall and playing a side that he has never, to my knowledge, played in his life. Definitely not at anything resembling the NHL level.

I don't understand why we need to move him in the first place. There are two PP units that likely will see relatively even time (Roy is on the "2nd PP" with him and he was by far the team's leader in PPP/G last year). I suspect if Grags leaves the lineup that Leopold will move up to the first unit to play with his regular partner, and either a forward will play the left point with Myers on the right on the 2nd unit, or they'll put Sekera there - who's a guy Myers has had chemistry with in the past (although I don't particularly like Sekera on the powerplay, personally)

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 09:46 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
He'd also be on his backhand trying to keep pucks in around the wall and playing a side that he has never, to my knowledge, played in his life. Definitely not at anything resembling the NHL level.

I don't understand why we need to move him in the first place. There are two PP units that likely will see relatively even time (Roy is on the "2nd PP" with him and he was by far the team's leader in PPP/G last year). I suspect if Grags leaves the lineup that Leopold will move up to the first unit to play with his regular partner, and either a forward will play the left point with Myers on the right on the 2nd unit, or they'll put Sekera there - who's a guy Myers has had chemistry with in the past (although I don't particularly like Sekera on the powerplay, personally)
It never works out that way, even if the coaches and players intend on it. The top unit usually gets 60-80, or more (or less if they actually score) depending on how it goes.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 09:52 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
It never works out that way, even if the coaches and players intend on it. The top unit usually gets 60-80, or more (or less if they actually score) depending on how it goes.
Right now the regulars on the first unit are playing a whopping 50 seconds more per game than the 2nd unit. Slightly less than 60% of the PP time has gone to the 1st unit. That's a distribution I'm more than willing to live with (and one that I would call "relatively even, btw).

Especially because I consider Leopold and Ehrhoff (and Gragnani, although even on the PP he's going through a rough patch) better PP players at this point in their respective careers than Myers. We were yelling all last year that we need a PPQB - now we get one that happens to play the same spot as Myers, and we're complaining that Myers' PP time is slightly less? I don't get it. The 2nd PP unit is not a bad place for Myers to be right now.

Old
10-19-2011, 09:53 PM
LGB24

Do we really need one of these thread everyday about a new player?

LGB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 10:35 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Right now the regulars on the first unit are playing a whopping 50 seconds more per game than the 2nd unit. Slightly less than 60% of the PP time has gone to the 1st unit. That's a distribution I'm more than willing to live with (and one that I would call "relatively even, btw).

Especially because I consider Leopold and Ehrhoff (and Gragnani, although even on the PP he's going through a rough patch) better PP players at this point in their respective careers than Myers. We were yelling all last year that we need a PPQB - now we get one that happens to play the same spot as Myers, and we're complaining that Myers' PP time is slightly less? I don't get it. The 2nd PP unit is not a bad place for Myers to be right now.
I whined last season that Myers wasn't being used on the point, and I'm going to continue to whine until he's a fixture on the top unit. Or until he proves to me that he doesn't belong there. And i never liked Connolly running it or even now when Pomminville is out at the point. Other than Vanek, Myers is the best long range right shot option on the team. He's more than capable of holding the line on his backhand, he provides a unique net front option if they want to bump Vanek to the outside for a slapper, he can pinch down the boards with authority, he's got a high skill level, and a PK MUST respect his shot or they will pay. And if they are worried about his shot, guess who is going to get more net too shoot at from the other point? Ehrhoff. They can both rush the puck and Myers can recover to break up shorties very fast.

Leopold and Sekera can run the crap out of the 2nd unit.

Old
10-19-2011, 10:48 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Quote:
I whined last season that Myers wasn't being used on the point, and I'm going to continue to whine until he's a fixture on the top unit. Or until he proves to me that he doesn't belong there. And i never liked Connolly running it or even now when Pomminville is out at the point. Other than Vanek, Myers is the best long range right shot option on the team. He's more than capable of holding the line on his backhand, he provides a unique net front option if they want to bump Vanek to the outside for a slapper, he can pinch down the boards with authority, he's got a high skill level, and a PK MUST respect his shot or they will pay. And if they are worried about his shot, guess who is going to get more net too shoot at from the other point? Ehrhoff. They can both rush the puck and Myers can recover to break up shorties very fast.

First of all, Pominville is not playing the point right now. The points are Grags-Ehrhoff, Leopold-Myers. Second of all, Myers got plenty of time on the point last year. Not the left point, because he does not play the left side. You're going to be whining about Myers not playing on the top unit for a long time (unless Ehrhoff gets hurt) because there is pretty much zero chance he's going to be put there. And he shouldn't be.

You throw out declarations that have no basis in reality. "He's more than capable of holding the line on his backhand, he provides a unique net front option if they want to bump Vanek to the outside for a slapper". The fact that he's never played LD at PP or ES in his career says that maybe, just maybe, he's NOT good at keeping the puck in on his backhand under pressure. We certainly have no evidence that he is. The front of the net thing is sheer conjecture. He's not all that thick, I don't see any reason why he'd be a more effective screener than forwards who are used to being there. Height alone matters not.

Myers has gotten plenty of PP time over the last couple seasons, and I have not been overly impressed with his PP play. It's not terrible by any means, but 2nd line PP makes FAR more sense than supplanting one of the most dangerous PP pointmen in the game (Ehrhoff) or sticking him on a side that he's never played on in his life.

Old
10-20-2011, 06:52 AM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
First of all, Pominville is not playing the point right now. The points are Grags-Ehrhoff, Leopold-Myers. Second of all, Myers got plenty of time on the point last year. Not the left point, because he does not play the left side. You're going to be whining about Myers not playing on the top unit for a long time (unless Ehrhoff gets hurt) because there is pretty much zero chance he's going to be put there. And he shouldn't be.

You throw out declarations that have no basis in reality. "He's more than capable of holding the line on his backhand, he provides a unique net front option if they want to bump Vanek to the outside for a slapper". The fact that he's never played LD at PP or ES in his career says that maybe, just maybe, he's NOT good at keeping the puck in on his backhand under pressure. We certainly have no evidence that he is. The front of the net thing is sheer conjecture. He's not all that thick, I don't see any reason why he'd be a more effective screener than forwards who are used to being there. Height alone matters not.

Myers has gotten plenty of PP time over the last couple seasons, and I have not been overly impressed with his PP play. It's not terrible by any means, but 2nd line PP makes FAR more sense than supplanting one of the most dangerous PP pointmen in the game (Ehrhoff) or sticking him on a side that he's never played on in his life.
Holly fear of the unknown Batman! You don't have a problem with watching an unproven player like Gragnani work a point on his backhand, but you're afraid of putting Tyler Myers into unfamiliar territory? Gragnani needs to be running the AHL Power Play so he can learn how not to get scored on two times in the same game, cause they might need him to not do that come playoff time. In the meantime, Myers needs to be building upon his two years of NHL experience with added Power Play time opposite one of the leagues premier point men. Regehr and Ehrhoff have skills that Myers can borrow for his game.

Old
10-20-2011, 09:56 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryNealesGarden View Post
He's being asked to play a much more defensive role now with Ehrhoff and Gragnani on the roster. Really that simple.
Agreed - Ruff made it known that he wanted to have a # 1 pairing that would act more as the "lockdown / shutdown" role, and the team pairing Regehr with Myers seems tailored to that. I still see Myers rushing the puck and getting involved on the offense but he doesn't have to be the Paul Coffey-type of rover that he was as a rookie where he rushed up ice at every chance.

I think Myers himself even said last season that he wanted to concentrate on his defensive responsibilities first and let the offense come when it can.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 10:55 AM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:

Let me put this in HFB speak: "Christian Ehrhoff says 'Hi'"

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 10:59 AM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
Holly fear of the unknown Batman! You don't have a problem with watching an unproven player like Gragnani work a point on his backhand, but you're afraid of putting Tyler Myers into unfamiliar territory? Gragnani needs to be running the AHL Power Play so he can learn how not to get scored on two times in the same game, cause they might need him to not do that come playoff time. In the meantime, Myers needs to be building upon his two years of NHL experience with added Power Play time opposite one of the leagues premier point men. Regehr and Ehrhoff have skills that Myers can borrow for his game.
Myers hasn't exactly been putting on a puck handling clinic this year. At times, it's been downright atrocious. Gragnani has made a number of mistakes to be sure, but you cannot deny that the kid knows how to move the puck on the PP. Our PP has never had better lateral puck movement than it has since he's been involved. I'm prepared to sit him for a few games for Weber, but I fully expect him to be back running the 1st PP unit later this year. I'd rather have Myers concentrate on tightening up his game in his own end right now.

Old
10-20-2011, 11:09 AM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
Myers hasn't exactly been putting on a puck handling clinic this year. At times, it's been downright atrocious. Gragnani has made a number of mistakes to be sure, but you cannot deny that the kid knows how to move the puck on the PP. Our PP has never had better lateral puck movement than it has since he's been involved. I'm prepared to sit him for a few games for Weber, but I fully expect him to be back running the 1st PP unit later this year. I'd rather have Myers concentrate on tightening up his game in his own end right now.
I hate to be overly critical of a rookie like Gragnani (assuming he qualifies as one), but I simply do not see what you, the coaches, and so many other fans do. What exactly is he doing that is so special out there?

Does he carry the puck up ice better than Myers?

Does he hold the line better?

Does he shoot better?

Does he pass better?

There's not one thing MAG does out there that Myers can't do just as well or way better. If we are in the playoffs and they are still snubbing Myers for top PP time for MAG I will be perplexed. I could see if it's Leopold and his 13 goals getting the node over Myers once in awhile, but not MAG. He played heroically last season, filling in. But everybody is healthy now. Don't need a nervous rook hogging up the PP, that's what the AHL is for.

Old
10-20-2011, 11:15 AM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
I hate to be overly critical of a rookie like Gragnani (assuming he qualifies as one), but I simply do not see what you, the coaches, and so many other fans do. What exactly is he doing that is so special out there?

Does he carry the puck up ice better than Myers?

Does he hold the line better?

Does he shoot better?

Does he pass better?

There's not one thing MAG does out there that Myers can't do just as well or way better. If we are in the playoffs and they are still snubbing Myers for top PP time for MAG I will be perplexed. I could see if it's Leopold and his 13 goals getting the node over Myers once in awhile, but not MAG. He played heroically last season, filling in. But everybody is healthy now. Don't need a nervous rook hogging up the PP, that's what the AHL is for.
The simple answer is that he passes better and - even more important - has better ice vision, which is the most important skill for a PP QB. Right now, he's also skating with the puck better than Myers, although I think that's just a temporary hiccup in Myers' game.

Old
10-20-2011, 11:24 AM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
The simple answer is that he passes better and - even more important - has better ice vision, which is the most important skill for a PP QB. Right now, he's also skating with the puck better than Myers, although I think that's just a temporary hiccup in Myers' game.
Ewww yeah I beg to differ. Do you recall that sweet puck retrieval no look drop pass back to the point by Myers last game on their only PP? I've never once seen MAG display that kind of poise and vision. Could be that Leopold was calling for it, but it was RIGHT ON THE TAPE.

There's just no comparison, but Myers does need some more time and experience playing the point, and they may as well get him acclimated to the left side now early in the season because it aint like Ehrhoff is a rental. Myers-Ehrhoff should be your go to -MONEY- tandem for all goal getting moments of every game. Power plays, extra man situations, and there's no convincing me otherwise until I have seen a healthy sample and it's clearly a fail.

Old
10-20-2011, 11:32 AM
joshjull

In theory Grags is the better passer. But in practice his tendancy to always look to pass negates this strength. Teams have picked up on it and are jumping the passing lanes as well as cheating towards Ehrhoff.

He also has an uncanny ability to pick the wrong time to pinch.

I think the guy that makes the most sense as Grags replacement on the top PP unit is Leopold. He is a good passer and will keep opponents honest with his shot. The added bonus is he is already Ehrhoff's partner so they have chemistry.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:42 AM
LGB24

Quote:
Ehrhoff is a left handed shot

LGB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 12:29 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGB24 View Post
Ehrhoff is a left handed shot
Ehrhoff plays on the right point. Isn't that what we're talking about?

Old
10-20-2011, 12:34 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
In theory Grags is the better passer. But in practice his tendancy to always look to pass negates this strength. Teams have picked up on it and are jumping the passing lanes as well as cheating towards Ehrhoff.

He also has an uncanny ability to pick the wrong time to pinch.

I think the guy that makes the most sense as Grags replacement on the top PP unit is Leopold. He is a good passer and will keep opponents honest with his shot. The added bonus is he is already Ehrhoff's partner so they have chemistry.
No kidding.

It's almost like he waits until he sees Sekera get below the dots, then his crazy urge to pinch becomes so overwhelming he goes for a stroll.

The only reason that hasn't been exploited is because the forwards are doing a great job reading and covering up.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 12:40 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:

Ehrhoff is a left shot. He plays on his shooting side. And am I the only one that has witnessed the numerous times Myers has overwhelmed unscreened goalies from outside the circles? How on earth is Myers shot not common knowledge around here?!?!

Old
10-20-2011, 12:42 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Ehrhoff is a left shot. He plays on his shooting side. And am I the only one that has witnessed the numerous times Myers has overwhelmed unscreened goalies from outside the circles? How on earth is Myers shot not common knowledge around here?!?!
We've seen it but his stickhandling isn't not on the same level as his shot. Thats why he isn't on the top PP unit. He lost his spot on the top unit to Ehrhoff not Grags.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 01:11 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
We've seen it but his stickhandling isn't not on the same level as his shot. Thats why he isn't on the top PP unit. He lost his spot on the top unit to Ehrhoff not Grags.
Right. Ehrhoff, a left **** is on his shooting side. Gragnani, a left shot, is not on his shooting side. Which only contributes to the fact that he is a zero threat option. Myers, conveiniently enough is a RIGHT shot. Which means, if he played opposite Erhoff on the top PP. They would BOTH be on their shooting sides! Can you imagine two heavy shot options playing in tandem? Freaking out the PK like they are in military firing line and about to be sentenced? Making the goalie pass out from lateral movement while Vanek farts in his face? This is what every GM dreams of assembling for his power play! Would anybody argue that they could potentially have they most potent point shooting tandem for the next 6+ years!? Bueller?

Old
10-20-2011, 01:18 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Right. Ehrhoff, a left **** is on his shooting side. Gragnani, a left shot, is not on his shooting side. Which only contributes to the fact that he is a zero threat option. Myers, conveiniently enough is a RIGHT shot. Which means, if he played opposite Erhoff on the top PP. They would BOTH be on their shooting sides! Can you imagine two heavy shot options playing in tandem? Freaking out the PK like they are in military firing line and about to be sentenced? Making the goalie pass out from lateral movement while Vanek farts in his face? This is what every GM dreams of assembling for his power play! Would anybody argue that they could potentially have they most potent point shooting tandem for the next 6+ years!? Bueller?
Shooting from the point isn't everything. Having a quarterback at one point is the better option. If you have two guys who can shoot from the point and nobody to spread out the PK with playmaking, neither one of them is going to get shots off.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 01:24 PM
Tachycineta

Stupid question but is Jakub a nickname for Myers? I didn't get that.

2010 bandwagon jumper- Go Habs and Bruins!
Tachycineta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 01:27 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachycineta View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcYzDk_ZQsA

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 01:28 PM
jamers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachycineta View Post
Yeah, per Stafford's workout video.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote