HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Is it too soon to panic?

Old
10-19-2011, 02:36 PM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

vCash: 500
Getting Getzlaf or Perry would be amzing. Any fan who got mad at the orginization for trading Oshie plus would clearly not be a hocley fan.

The ducks have a great first line, but after that their depth kind of dwindles a bit. Maybe trading Oshie plus a few would be able to fetch them. Maybe it's just a pipe dream. But we do need an "elite" talent. Almost every team has at least one, we just have guys that are close, but not over thr hump.

Honestly if Perron-Berglund-Stewart could break out, we could have a poor mans Ryan-Getzalf-Perry.

Use the Schwartz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 03:25 PM
Lucifer T Longfellow

I don't think that it is time to panic yet but I do think that it is time to change some things up a bit. Didn't we supposedly add all this depth to protect ourselves from injury and create competition for ice time? IMO it is time to change up the lines. Stewart and Berglund do not seem to have the same spark that they did last year. I would put Stewart back on Backes' wing to see if you can get both of those guys going, maybe put Grachev on the left and have a line with a ton of size. Besides, I am wanting to see what Grachev can do with more talented line mates anyway. I would put Oshie back on the right side with Berglund and move Sob with them on the left. Steen, Arnott and Dags looks good to me and drop Langs back to the 4th. I guess my point is that I am not seeing much chemistry with the lines so far and I think that a shake-up is in order

But truth be told, PK, PP and goaltending are the things that are killing us. The good news is that there is no way that the PK and the PP can stay this bad for much longer, there has to be some progression back to the mean for both of those. As for goaltending, it reminds me a lot of last January when the Blues' had like one win the whole month and is probably the stretch of games that kept us out of the playoffs. I would start Elliot next game and if they win, send him out there against Philly too. Maybe Halak is getting too complacent and he needs a fire lit under him. I don’t think that a trade is needed at this time, this team is capable of playing better hockey as is.

Lucifer T Longfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 03:26 PM
execwrite

Is it too early to panic??

And the correct answer is ... yes. Ding, ding, ding.

Calm down folks. It's six games. There are 76 games left.

There won't be any major trades any time soon I would have to guess.

It is time for Elliot to get his chance in goal to see if he can settle things down.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 06:19 PM
Spektre

vCash: 50
I'd agree that Elliot should see more time between the pipes.

One person that should be panicking on the inside is Davis Payne. He's a very young, unproven coach in the NHL and there are new owners coming in. He better figure out how to post more W's then L's.

If a poll had been taken on this forum before the season started about the Blues chances of making the playoffs what do you think that it would have been? I'd say 80% at least would think that the Blues would see postseason play.

After 6 games thus far how many here think the Blues are going to make the playoffs? If it's over 50% I'd think a lot of people are drinking kool-aid.

To clarify I'm not in panic mode either. I simply stand by the thinking that if the Blues are in (or around) 13th place near the trade deadline that Oshie is a guy that I think the Blues will trade. I know all about him being a fan favorite. So was Hull and the Blues were stupid enough not to trade him but simply let him walk and got nothing in return. As many fans of Oshie as there are I don't think he was as big of a favorite as Shanahan. Did the fans revolt and stop going to games when we dealt him? Nope.

I just try to look at the situation with some logic instead of as a fan. Put yourself in the shoes of the new owner. You come into an organization that has been (rebuilding) for 5+ years. As you contemplate that for a minute or two doesn't it stand to reason that someone, somewhere, isn't getting the job done? It's your job as the owner to put people in charge that you feel can get the job done.

Clearly the current regime hasn't gotten the job done in 5+ years as they're currently sitting in 13th place. Their power play ranks 28th with a staggering 4.2% conversion. While they're PK ranks 29th in the league stopping opponents PP's 68.2%

Those are dreadful numbers. You're now the owner. Remember these numbers are after 5+ years of (rebuilding). As the owner you're not going to make changes?

The one guy I want here is Armstrong. I know he's responsible for getting Halak. Which had all of Montreal up in arms at the time. It seemed like a great deal at the time. He also pulled off the best trade in Blues history as far as I'm concerned getting Stewart & Shatty. Time will tell on both of these trades. But I love his aggressiveness.

Spektre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 06:54 PM
Clay Squares

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
Is it too early to panic??

And the correct answer is ... yes. Ding, ding, ding.

Calm down folks. It's six games. There are 76 games left.

There won't be any major trades any time soon I would have to guess.

It is time for Elliot to get his chance in goal to see if he can settle things down.
I agree with this. Its to early to panic, but not to early to be concerned. I was really hoping Halak would turn it around vs the Kings but he is still looking very shakey. I dont think Oshie is going anywhere, but personally I wouldn't mind if he was part of a deal to bring a true #1 dman to the team.

Clay Squares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 02:49 PM
STLFAN16

I've never replied in a blog before so here goes nothing...
Iíve been cheering for the blues since the pro-set 1990 hockey cards were out...
Iíve watched almost every game since thereís been a 'hockey package'
My feelings on the blues this year are as follows:
To be honest, and I like Davis Payne, but the blues seem like they arenít really making plays, it looks like randomness out there.
With the blues being the most injured team the last 3 years, could it be affecting the way they play?
Halak looks shaky.
Switching up the lines would be a good idea, itís not working right now, they seem slow...
Itís hard to place blame on one thing for the bad startÖ
I will mention that, Stewart, Petro, Steen, and Arnott have been putting a good effort in.
As much as Oshie is one of my favorite players, it seems like heís having a rough go, maybe reunite the Berglund, oshie, perron line (when he comes back), as they had chemistryÖ
Oshie on the point again on the PP, maybe the spark they need.
Anyways..Looking forward to the games this weekend, hopefully we can start next week at 500

STLFAN16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 04:52 PM
Spektre

vCash: 50
The importance to a good start can't be underrated. Although the Blues reversed course last year after a great start.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...-April/1/39005

Spektre is offline   Reply With Quote