HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Everybody Loves Avery

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-19-2011, 08:46 AM
  #1
eggy2486
Hitman #6
 
eggy2486's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Eastern CT
Country: Canada
Posts: 350
vCash: 500
Everybody Loves Avery

So I noticed that he hasn't dressed for a game yet, what's the deal? Is he sulking? Benched for indifferent play? Or is the Whale just waiting until they get a better look at the younger players?

eggy2486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 11:08 AM
  #2
Majik1987
I know kung fu...
 
Majik1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Northern Illinois
Country: United States
Posts: 4,186
vCash: 500
I don't know the roster, but it could also be a veteran squeeze. Since you can only dress five veteran skaters, they may already have been maxed out before Avery. They might not have had a place to fit him in yet.

__________________
The Chicago Wolves = 2008 Calder Cup Champions!
Majik1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 11:17 AM
  #3
axecrew
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,081
vCash: 500
Or maybe he's not there. Just because he is on the roster doesn't mean he's in house. Has he been actually seen in the arena or at practice?

axecrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 11:20 AM
  #4
cjerina
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bradley Center 216
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 1,074
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1987 View Post
I don't know the roster, but it could also be a veteran squeeze. Since you can only dress five veteran skaters, they may already have been maxed out before Avery. They might not have had a place to fit him in yet.
Majik could be right. I know they have Andreas Thuresson and Andre Deveaux, both who I assume are now considered vets, along with Wade Redden.

cjerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 11:58 AM
  #5
eggy2486
Hitman #6
 
eggy2486's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Eastern CT
Country: Canada
Posts: 350
vCash: 500
ah that's true, I didn't know they had a veteran rule, what's the cutoff? ... theres currently 9 players on the roster with NHL experience, but Newbury and Bell are called up, still leaves 7 on the active roster.

eggy2486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 12:03 PM
  #6
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggy2486 View Post
ah that's true, I didn't know they had a veteran rule, what's the cutoff? ... theres currently 9 players on the roster with NHL experience, but Newbury and Bell are called up, still leaves 7 on the active roster.
Per the AHL website FAQs

Of the 18 skaters (not counting two goaltenders) that teams may dress for a regular-season game, at least 13 must be qualified as "development players." Of those 13, 12 must have played in 260 or fewer professional games (including AHL, NHL, IHL and European elite leagues), and one must have played in 320 or fewer professional games. All calculations for development status are based on regular-season totals as of the start of the season.

Axe makes a very good point. Just because Avery was assigned to Connecticut doesn't mean that he's physically there.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 12:42 PM
  #7
Majik1987
I know kung fu...
 
Majik1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Northern Illinois
Country: United States
Posts: 4,186
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Axe makes a very good point. Just because Avery was assigned to Connecticut doesn't mean that he's physically there.
I thought players had to physically leave for AHL re-assignments in order to prevent guys from being sent down for salary cap purposes, but then staying with the big club.

Majik1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 12:45 PM
  #8
Blue Dot
F0rsbergFan21
 
Blue Dot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,290
vCash: 500
he is getting over a shoulder injury

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/stor...rangers-recall

there is an article on him and CT

Blue Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 01:20 PM
  #9
axecrew
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1987 View Post
I thought players had to physically leave for AHL re-assignments in order to prevent guys from being sent down for salary cap purposes, but then staying with the big club.
Majik, They do and according to ice chips he practiced today, with no contact jersey on. So at least he is physically there and i was wrong....now which avery they get remains to be seen. Do they get the contrite one that no one has ever seen, or is it the one we all know.

axecrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 01:29 PM
  #10
CHRDANHUTCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Auburn, Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 14,458
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggy2486 View Post
ah that's true, I didn't know they had a veteran rule, what's the cutoff? ... theres currently 9 players on the roster with NHL experience, but Newbury and Bell are called up, still leaves 7 on the active roster.
rule is 6, w/ 1 having to be over 300 games in any league based on opening night when you submit the roster......

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 01:31 PM
  #11
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1987 View Post
I thought players had to physically leave for AHL re-assignments in order to prevent guys from being sent down for salary cap purposes, but then staying with the big club.
Seeing that he was at practice makes it moot, but wouldn't he be on the roster if he refused the assignment?

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 03:29 PM
  #12
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked
 
SFTC Addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 9,940
vCash: 500
Lol another waste being stashed in CT by the Rangers, that is SOUND management they have i guess. atleast he isn't making Redden money I guess.

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 03:39 PM
  #13
210
Registered User
 
210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Worcester, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1987 View Post
I thought players had to physically leave for AHL re-assignments in order to prevent guys from being sent down for salary cap purposes, but then staying with the big club.
He would have to report, but there's no rule that says he'd have to stay there once he reports. The NHL club could let him return home (or pretty much anywhere else) and as long as they keep within the spirit if the rules they'd likely be OK.

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 07:57 PM
  #14
axecrew
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
rule is 6, w/ 1 having to be over 300 games in any league based on opening night when you submit the roster......
As usual you are wrong.The rule AS STATED ON HERE BY OTHERS IS......5 players with more than 260 professional games as determined by various criteria....1 player can be what is known as a "tweener" which is a player who has played more than 260 pro games but less than 320. That makes it a total of 6 eligible vets per line up if a team so chooses and they meet the criteria.

The actual wording is that a team can dress 18 skaters(goaltenders are exempt) of the 18, 13 of them must be classified as non-veterans having played less than 260 professional games...that makes it 5 players because 18 minus 13 is still 5 in any language or country or "planet". Of the remaining 13 players, 1 player can be considered a veteran exempt player if he has played more than 260 games but less than 320 as determined before the start of the current season.

So therefore 18 minus 13 is 5 and 18 minus 13 plus 1 is 6 in my language and country ...in canada....and wherever it is that you reside hutchie.


Last edited by Majik1987: 10-21-2011 at 09:49 AM. Reason: flaming
axecrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 08:26 PM
  #15
Tommy Hawk
Registered User
 
Tommy Hawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by axecrew View Post
As usual you are wrong.The rule AS STATED ON HERE BY OTHERS IS......5 players with more than 260 professional games as determined by various criteria....1 player can be what is known as a "tweener" which is a player who has played more than 260 pro games but less than 320. That makes it a total of 6 eligible vets per line up if a team so chooses and they meet the criteria.

The actual wording is that a team can dress 18 skaters(goaltenders are exempt) of the 18, 13 of them must be classified as non-veterans having played less than 260 professional games...that makes it 5 players because 18 minus 13 is still 5 in any language or country or "planet". Of the remaining 13 players, 1 player can be considered a veteran exempt player if he has played more than 260 games but less than 320 as determined before the start of the current season.

So therefore 18 minus 13 is 5 and 18 minus 13 plus 1 is 6 in my language and country ...in canada....and wherever it is that you reside hutchie.
You are obviously wrong axe. You are assuming a numering system using a certain base and including 0. Perhaps it is in machine language or using a base 16 or 5 or some other base or not using 0.

Tommy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 10:20 PM
  #16
will5059
Registered User
 
will5059's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Madison CT
Country: United States
Posts: 74
vCash: 500
I read in The Hartford Courant the other day that Avery is in fact skating with the Whale and is has an apartment in Middletown ,CT. Witch is the next town over from where the team practices in Cromwell. I work in Middletown part time . Haven't seen him yet .

will5059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 10:33 PM
  #17
axecrew
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Hawk View Post
You are obviously wrong axe. You are assuming a numering system using a certain base and including 0. Perhaps it is in machine language or using a base 16 or 5 or some other base or not using 0.
heh...heh....you said assume

axecrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 10:53 PM
  #18
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked
 
SFTC Addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 9,940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by will5059 View Post
I read in The Hartford Courant the other day that Avery is in fact skating with the Whale and is has an apartment in Middletown ,CT. Witch is the next town over from where the team practices in Cromwell. I work in Middletown part time . Haven't seen him yet .
How far is that from the city? What if he's had an apartment there all along? I wouldn't wanna live in NYC either....too hectic.

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 08:29 AM
  #19
eggy2486
Hitman #6
 
eggy2486's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Eastern CT
Country: Canada
Posts: 350
vCash: 500
it's pretty far from NYC, especially if you drive, it'll take about 3 hours in traffic, not sure about a train but it's def not close, he probably had a place closer to the city when he was with the Rangers ... Jersey perhaps?

eggy2486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 11:53 AM
  #20
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked
 
SFTC Addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 9,940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggy2486 View Post
it's pretty far from NYC, especially if you drive, it'll take about 3 hours in traffic, not sure about a train but it's def not close, he probably had a place closer to the city when he was with the Rangers ... Jersey perhaps?
It only takes 3 hours cause people in NY State, especially NYC don't know how to drive.

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 01:07 PM
  #21
Primetime Powerplay
Muh Offensive Talent
 
Primetime Powerplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country:
Posts: 8,407
vCash: 500
I do not think Avery is going to play many games for the Whale if any.

Primetime Powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 08:25 AM
  #22
eggy2486
Hitman #6
 
eggy2486's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Eastern CT
Country: Canada
Posts: 350
vCash: 500
yeah, it all depends on what you're used to, theres crappy drivers everywhere, theyre more relaxed in upstate NY .. but when I say upstate, I don't mean westchester .. actual upstate is like Albany and everything north

eggy2486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:03 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.