General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

Douglas to Philly, Mathews to Buffalo

Closed Thread

Old
08-30-2004, 11:47 PM
loveshack2

vCash: 500
Douglas to Philly, Mathews to Buffalo

Hugh Douglas cut by Jacksonville (a week after they cut Tony Brackens) and signs a 1 yr deal back with Philadelphia.

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/news_story.asp...98&hubName=nfl

Just reported that Shane Matthews has signed to backup Bledsoe in Buffalo. No link yet, heard it on the radio.

Old
08-31-2004, 08:19 AM
Cuiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveshack2
Hugh Douglas cut by Jacksonville (a week after they cut Tony Brackens) and signs a 1 yr deal back with Philadelphia.

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/news_story.asp...98&hubName=nfl

Just reported that Shane Matthews has signed to backup Bledsoe in Buffalo. No link yet, heard it on the radio.

Douglas is Back!!!

At the very least, he'll at least supply the media with some great sound bites.

Old
08-31-2004, 08:29 AM
ATG

Wow that Philly defense is amazing.If the CB's play well than I can see philly going undefeated this year.I mean Trotter,Douglas and Kearse that is really impressive

Old
08-31-2004, 08:42 AM
JCD

Douglas is more name than impact.

I think he makes for a quality rotational guy, but he won't be an impact starter. It is rare to see a lineman make a comeback once they lost it.

Old
08-31-2004, 10:08 AM
DocHolliday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander the Great
Wow that Philly defense is amazing.If the CB's play well than I can see philly going undefeated this year.I mean Trotter,Douglas and Kearse that is really impressive
Not a prayer. I can't see a team with three pretty green players in the secondary and IMO, a situation HB as their feature back with an expired backup. That said, they will be a good team, 11-5, possibly 12-4

Old
08-31-2004, 10:13 AM
Dr Love

Quote:
Trotter might not be healthy enough for the season opener. Douglas's play fell of a cliff and he will be a rotationary player. Kearse has to stay healthy. The rest of the LBs are average, and the DBs are solid but still a shade green. Unless you're playing Madden 2005, they're not going undefeated.

Old
08-31-2004, 10:42 AM
Cuiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
Trotter might not be healthy enough for the season opener. Douglas's play fell of a cliff and he will be a rotationary player. Kearse has to stay healthy. The rest of the LBs are average, and the DBs are solid but still a shade green. Unless you're playing Madden 2005, they're not going undefeated.
13-3 maybe 14-2. (Baring any more injuries)Remmenmber Philly people, I am the anti-homer therefore, this prediction means a lot.

Old
08-31-2004, 01:06 PM
ObeySteve

Send a message via AIM to ObeySteve
Reid already said that Douglas won't be starting, but will still be in the rotation and a situational end.

As for these Eagles predictions, I'm going with 13-3. Still flaws at linebacker and possible problems with Brown in the secondary....but as long as the team stays healthy, there is no reason to believe they won't win 13 games.

Old
08-31-2004, 01:09 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Whoa back the undefeated train up.

Trotter = not close to what he use to be

Douglas = marginal starter, at best

Kearse = good luck playing the whole season

Seconday = Very little experience

Old
08-31-2004, 01:14 PM
ObeySteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy
Seconday = Very little experience
I wouldn't go that far. Dawkins is as experienced as they come, and Michael Lewis has been starting for a while...and already is one of the top 10 strong safeties in the game.

The corners don't have years of experience under their belt, but they have still seen plenty of NFL games as starting corners. Vincent and Taylor missed a combined 12 games last season.

I'm very comfortable with Lito Sheppard....as long as Sheldon Brown can just preform at a somewhat decent level, the secondary should be fine.

Last edited by ObeySteve: 08-31-2004 at 01:27 PM.
Old
08-31-2004, 01:19 PM
nomorekids
The original, baby

It's been since the Cowboys of the mid-nineties that I've seen one team as overrated as the Eagles are being, this year. 14 and 2?

Come on, man. 11 and 5.

08-31-2004, 01:25 PM
ObeySteve

The Eagles went 12-4 last season without Terrell Owens, without Jevon Kearse, with a injury-depleted defensive line (all 4 starters injured at some point during the season), and with the 2nd toughest schedule in the NFL.

So what makes you believe they will only go 11-5 this season?

Funny you make that comparison to the mid-Ninteties Cowboys though, considering they backed up all the hype.

Old
08-31-2004, 01:25 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeySteve
I wouldn't go that far. Dawkins is as experienced as they come, and Michael Lewis has been starting for a while...and already is one of the top 10 strong safeties in the game.

The corners don't have years of experience under their belt, but they have still seen plenty of NFL games as starting corners. Last season, Vincent and Taylor missed a combined 12 games last season.

I'm very comfortable with Lito Sheppard....as long as Sheldon Brown can just preform at a somewhat decent level, the secondary should be fine.
Fair enough, you're right, their safeties are very strong. Dawkins is a premier safety and Lewis is well on his way. I guess I was just really talking about thei corners. It should be intereting to see how they can perform in their starting roles this season. They have the ability.

Old
08-31-2004, 01:28 PM
nomorekids
The original, baby

Quote:
The Eagles went 12-4 last season without Terrell Owens, without Jevon Kearse, with a injury-depleted defensive line (all 4 starters injured at some point during the season), and with the 2nd toughest schedule in the NFL.

Funny you make that comparison to the mid-Ninteties Cowboys though, considering they backed up all the hype.

as someone with a passing interest in the titans....your mention of Jevon Kearse as a reason the team will be better is just one reason I think you're getting your hopes up way too far.

All your hopes should lie in McNabb getting hurt and a backup proving he's got starter skills.

Old
08-31-2004, 01:59 PM
JCD

Quote:

The corners don't have years of experience under their belt, but they have still seen plenty of NFL games as starting corners. Vincent and Taylor missed a combined 12 games last season.

That is an overstatement.

ALL of the Eagles CB have TEN games starting experience COMBINED. Lito with 9 of them...

Lito was picked on mercilessly last year. Brown started only one game. Those CBs should worry you. Badly. Having a good pass rush will make it easier on them, but as it stands that looks to be one of the worst sets of CBs in the NFL. Bottom-10 without a doubt.

Old
08-31-2004, 02:04 PM
JCD

Quote:

I will field that one.

1) New Player Adjustment. It will take a few games before Owens and McNabb get on the same page.

2) Run defense. It has been bad for years. Getting SMALLER on the defensive front-4 won't help that in the least.

3) CBs. Huge weakness. Not a one who can handle man coverage reliably. Either have to take your chances of them getting scorched or pull the safeties back to help (not their strengths).

4) Injuries. Already starting to mount. Kalu, Kearse, Simon, Walker, Trotter and Wayne in the front-7 already.

I think 10-6 to 12-4, winning the division. Not sure if they will get homefield though.

Old
09-01-2004, 10:57 AM
Cuiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
It's been since the Cowboys of the mid-nineties that I've seen one team as overrated as the Eagles are being, this year. 14 and 2?

Come on, man. 11 and 5.

Check the standing in Dec pal!

Old
09-01-2004, 11:09 AM
guinness
swedish milkmaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuiffitelli

Check the standing in Dec pal!
Doesn't matter if they go 10-6, 12-4, or 16-0 if all they do is choke again in the NFC championship. How many years has it been now, 3?

Old
09-02-2004, 08:06 AM
Cuiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness
Doesn't matter if they go 10-6, 12-4, or 16-0 if all they do is choke again in the NFC championship. How many years has it been now, 3?

I thought we were discussing their record, not the playoff results. I know they are going to lose again in the NFC final. My only question is how they are going to blow it this time.

The run?
The pass?
No running game?

One of these reasons plus an injury or two will again keep the Eagles out of the super bowl.

Closed Thread