HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

What company do you support the most?

Old
10-20-2011, 02:26 AM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
Blizzard, without question.

-Beat Human and Orc campaigns in Warcraft I
-Beat Human and Orc campaigns ~5x each in Warcraft II
-Attempted to beat Human and Orc campaigns too many times in Warcraft IIx, still convinced it is not possible without cheat codes
-Beat Warcraft III and Warcraft IIIx at least 5 times, have played probably somewhere around 10000 games of Warcraft III in the past decade, was once ranked within the top 20 on FFA
-Beat Starcraft and Brood War ~5x each, probably played ~500 games on SC since launch
-Beat Diablo with all three heroes
-Beat Diablo II and IIx with every hero (single player), leveled every hero except an Assassin past 85 online, including 3x Necromancers (good God that dude rules)
-Played WoW up until Cataclysm, put in probably 100 days or so total

I haven't played SCII because I probably cannot do that and graduate in May at the same time, but as soon as I do I doubt I will be able to resist the temptation to buy it. Guess I'm a fanboi but damn do they make good computer games

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 04:37 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

vCash: 500
Blizzard Entertainment AINEC

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 08:33 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
This isnt supposed to be a list of all the brands of things you own, it's just supposed to be what brands do you tend to really like and put their products on a pedestal above their competitors.

I saw someone put AMD and I have to agree, whenever I buy a computer I tend to buy one with an AMD chip in it.

Also for deoderant I am a Mitchum man, been using it for 15 years or so now, didnt even realize that I was totally loyal to them until now.
If we are going in that direction, the only products I will shave with are Gillette Mach 3 razors and Edge Pro Gel (orange cap) shaving gel.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 08:40 AM
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons

vCash: 920
I'm a Samsung user (TV, A/V receiver, phone, camera) , nothing but good experiences with them so far. Well aside from kies....Other than that I use Sony for everything else (PS3 and laptop)

Ghost in the Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 09:17 AM
Hizaki
Swifty

Oh, I forgot about Valve.

I guess I'm probably loyal to them because Steam is so convenient.

Though I will still buy games on Origin if the price is low enough (compared to Steam).

Hizaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 09:17 AM
sabresfan129103

Acer (great monitors for the price)
Nvidia (great graphics cards)
Bethesda (amazingly long, well made games for 60 bucks. If you buy one of their RPG's, it's one of the best deals in all of gaming)
Blizzard (great games, great value)
Valve
Sony (a little pricy, but some of the best quality stuff)
Intel

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 09:18 AM
Beerfish

I have no 100% loyalty brand. I have a Samsung tv which i like a lot but next time I buy a tv it will be another round of analyzing the best value.

As for games I'm pretty loyal to BioWare.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 09:21 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
I have no company.

Computer is a Mac.
Phone is a Motorola.
TV is a Samsung.
Monitor is an ASUS.
Gaming system is a Sony.

Brand loyalty is for suckers.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 09:42 AM
MikeyMike01*
Hurray

Send a message via AIM to MikeyMike01* Send a message via MSN to MikeyMike01*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
Intel for cpus
Nvidia for video
I bought an AMD 5850. Last time I'm ever buying anything from them, video card or otherwise. So ****ing bad.

MikeyMike01* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 10:12 AM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Towers
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike01 View Post
I bought an AMD 5850. Last time I'm ever buying anything from them, video card or otherwise. So ****ing bad.
Yeah, I used ATI cards for a long time and switched to NVidia earlier this year. I think I'm gonna have to stick with 'em. Never had HUGE issues with ATI cards but NVidia is just so much better.

Towers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 10:22 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike01 View Post
Okay on second thought I do have to admit in some cases I do have brand loyalty and this is one of them. Intel over AMD and Nvidia over ATI any day of the week. When it comes to Nvidia vs ATI I'm at least willing to check out ATI cause I've had good experiences with both. So that part... more related to my original post.

But Intel vs AMD for me is one of those AINEC type answers. I wouldn't ever buy a non-intel processor unless a better company than AMD started making them. When you have very little options sometimes I'm brand loyal. Intel has done me well my entire life and for that I am brand loyal, but very few brands have been able to match that type of quality. I only fault them really for P4, it could have been a lot better imo. That having been said I loved P3, love the new generation of processors and back in the day lets face it pentium was the ****. I know AMD popped up for a short while having better performance but Intel has now left them in the dust. Plus all my friends who have ever had AMD's either had performance issues or issues in general up until recently so I always just steered clear of AMD.

ATI I would look into though... but I think given the quality of Nvidia cards lately... nvidia is a no brainer... but I would definitely still do my research. Intel is one of the few companies that I'll actually just say "**** it" and ignore most AMD's but rather compare intel processors to other intel's and take the better on lol.

If some folks on HF started rumbling about a new AMD processor that was leaps and bounds better than intel I might take a look, I'm open minded enough but I have to admit if there's one company I'll favor/be loyal to... it's intel. Can't believe I forgot about that... I've never strayed away from intel... not even once.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 02:08 PM
8BostonRocker24

I'm loyal to AMD and ATI... I married the daughter of one of their (former) VPs.

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 03:20 PM
Osprey

I usually care more about value. The manufacturer who offers a similar product at a significantly lower price will usually get my money. If it's not at least 15% (or so) less, though, I'll go with a brand that I'm more sure of.

Probably the only brands that I really come back to again and again are AMD for CPUs and nVidia for GPUs. With AMD, it's because they consistently have the higher bang for the buck. With nVidia, I've always preferred their drivers. I've gone with their competition a few times, when they've had an unbeatable deal, however, so I have no "loyalty" that a good deal from the competition couldn't easily break.

After that, it'd probably be Toshiba. They've been really solid for me. I'll look at a wide range of brands, but if my final choices are similar in price and specs and one of them is a Toshiba, I'd probably go with that one.

Basically, I have no brand loyalty that a price undercut of 15+% couldn't break. I'm willing to give most brands a chance if they make it worth my while. If they disappoint me, though, that might taint my impression of them and prejudice me against them when it comes to future purchases.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 03:21 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chokers Gonna Choke View Post
Indeed, it does have a ridiculous learning curve before you start understanding the tech, diplomacy and combat systems.

I highly recommend checking out this link. It is a tutorial in the form of an AAR that you are suggested to follow yourself by playing as Germany (as the author of the tutorial does).

Also havea look at The Newbie Guide. PM me if you feel like talking about the game more.
Is it basically diplomacy but on PC?

Old
10-20-2011, 04:53 PM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towers View Post
Yeah, I used ATI cards for a long time and switched to NVidia earlier this year. I think I'm gonna have to stick with 'em. Never had HUGE issues with ATI cards but NVidia is just so much better.
Meh, I'd agree if this was 4 years ago, but I think ATI cards have really stepped up over the past couple of years. I'll agree with Intel over AMD though, no doubt.

Fire Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 05:31 PM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
If we are going in that direction, the only products I will shave with are Gillette Mach 3 razors and Edge Pro Gel (orange cap) shaving gel.
You should give a double edge a try with real shave cream. You won't regret it.

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 08:07 PM
MikeyMike01*
Hurray

Send a message via AIM to MikeyMike01* Send a message via MSN to MikeyMike01*
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BostonRocker24 View Post
I'm loyal to AMD and ATI... I married the daughter of one of their (former) VPs.
AMD and ATi is good if you're looking for one of those cheap piece of **** $300 computers. That's about it.

MikeyMike01* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 08:22 PM
RobBrown4PM
Pringles?

Companies I currently support 110%:

Valve - Although sometimes slow in producing their games I dont think theres a better gaming company in the world or additional content.

Bioware - Great company, has produced some great games and will continue to do so. Listens to their player base.

Bohemia Interactive - Has produced the best mil-sim series to date in the ARMA series, and they listen to the player community and support the modding community 110%.

Bethesda - Produced great games, listens to the community and supports the modders.

Companies I want to continue to support, although my support is waning:

Blizzard - I want to support Blizzard I really do, but they lost some credibility with me with SC2. SC2 was a major disspoitment in my eyes.

Creative Assembly - A great company, but they've turned out some terrible games in Empire and Napoleon, and they've been supporting the modding community less and less the past couple of years.

RobBrown4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 08:31 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Desert Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockFlagAndEagle View Post
Meh, I'd agree if this was 4 years ago, but I think ATI cards have really stepped up over the past couple of years..
They can't compete with the 580 GTX but everything else is on par or better.

The current AMD processor generation is bad but before that they were fine as well. Even Intel had a bad streak. The P4 was severely under performing and the Pentium D was garbage. If you bought one of those chips out of pure loyalty or hatred for AMD you were only gimping yourself.

SniperHF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 02:58 AM
Lee Van Cleef*

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Is it basically diplomacy but on PC?
Paradox has actually released a Diplomacy game, however I think it did quite poorly with the reviewers.

Hearts of Iron I'm not sure how similar it is to Diplomacy, trust me though that Paradox games are generally excellent (but somewhat buggy at times).

Their best games are Europa Universalis 2, Hearts of Iron 2, Europa Universalis 3 and Victoria 1.

Lee Van Cleef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 04:58 AM
Johnny LaRue

vCash: 200
I like Redwing shoes.

Johnny LaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 04:58 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Corsair (PSUs, Memory, Cases)
Valve (Half Life, end of story)
Sony (Playstation)
Insomniac Games (Ratchet and Resistance)
Naughty Dog (Uncharted and Jak)
Atlus (Demon's Souls, Catherine)
Nippon Ichi (Disgaea)
Kojima Productions (MGS)
New Balance (awesome shoes for the money and I don't need extra wide shoes)
Westwood Studios (before EA bought them and ****ed them up)

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:31 AM
neofury*

I used to love west wood too, and Blizzard I used to be crazy with until they released Wrath of the Lich King and then Cataclysm. Sc2 is also much worse than it could be imo. The custom games are only just starting to get to the greatness of the ones for Wc3: TFT.

Even in my opinion TFT was **** compared to Reign of Chaos, but at least the TFT customs more than made up for that. Blizz isn't trying to make good games anymore, they're trying to make popular games. While some may argue there is no difference there really is. Battlefield vs Call of Duty to me is a prime example of how popularity doesn't always necessarily mean better game. But I guess it's all entirely up to opinion anyways.

Old
10-21-2011, 09:35 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
None really I have a variety of different products, BB phone, Creative Lab MP3 player, Panoramic tv, Sony Blu Ray player, Dell laptrop, Acer netbook, etc etc. I get what I like after having done some research on quality etc. I guess the closest might be for games as I am a huge Blizzard fan and also have most of the Command and Conquer games from Westwood.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:51 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
None really I have a variety of different products, BB phone, Creative Lab MP3 player, Panoramic tv, Sony Blu Ray player, Dell laptrop, Acer netbook, etc etc. I get what I like after having done some research on quality etc. I guess the closest might be for games as I am a huge Blizzard fan and also have most of the Command and Conquer games from Westwood.
You call yourself a fan but you don't mention "Dune"

Only kidding of course but I remember growing up Dune 2 was boss.