Notices

Liking the Flames more and more every day

Closed Thread

Old
08-31-2004, 12:59 AM
Mizral

vCash: 500
Liking the Flames more and more every day

While they beat my 'Nucks in the playoffs, I've always loved the Flames. For me, my top 3 teams are always Vancouver, then the two Alberta teams.

As mentioned in the other thread, Langkow is a fantastic player, and the Flames are going to love him. Puts in an honest days work every night, is not only very skilled, but a very responsable player on the ice.

I do have some questions though: How do you Flames fans think the top 6 is going to work out?

I personally feel that Sutter ought to keep Gelinas and Iginla together. Does anyone else agree? If they are kept together, who should centre their line - Langkow or Reinprecht? While I think Langkow is the better player, I think Reinprecht might be the better solution for several reasons. I thought Rhino looked very good with Iggy when they did play, and I think that he is a better playmaker than Langkow is. Furthermore, I think with Gelinas being already a very responsable player in his own zone, and Iginla at least being par for the course in their own zone, I think the Flames would be better suited placing Reinprecht, a player who probobly isn't so hot defensively, on their line rather than suiting him up with linemates who themselves might not be consumate two-way players themselves.

How does this sound, Flames fans?

Gelinas/Reinprecht/Iginla
Simon/Langkow/Nilson

My thoughts are that you keep the chemistry of Gelinas and Iginla and Reinprecht and Iginla together, as well as giving Langkow a shooter and a power winger to play with, potentially a great three-way combination. Simon also showed some definate ability to be a big-game presence in the playoffs when he was healthy, and he might be ready to build off that and have one of his best seasons ever in 2004-05 (if there is a season!).

As for the bottom 6, I am of the thought that Jason Weimer is far, far more useful on the wing than at centre ice. With that in mind:

Nieminen/Lombardi/Donovan
Weimer/Yelle/Kobasew

Both of these lines will get heavy play on a Sutter team, and I think both of these lines have incredible speed and character players. I think Donovan and Yelle are the backbones of the two lines, so I seperate them. Weimer I feel might not be able to keep up to Nieminen, Lombardi or Donovan. Kobasew I guess will have to slow down a bit with Yelle and Weimer

So what do you folks think? Good lines? Or am I everything that those folks on the Oilers board think I am - out to lunch?

Old
08-31-2004, 04:26 AM
Super-Rye

Well, while I donno what the lines will look like, I'd think Reinprecht would play the wing to give Lombardi top 6 ice time, and Sutter would atleast give Kobasew a chance to prove himself as a top 6 player at the beginning of the season, and go from there.

Old
08-31-2004, 06:14 AM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Thompson
Opponent would double up on Iginla, which would hamper the effectiveness of the line. That's why Simon belongs at LW.

Quote:
Simon/Langkow/Nilson
It would be a surprise to see this combination rolled out. Then again, who knows?

Quote:
Everybody seems to think that Lombardi will be out for a lengthy period of time.

Quote:
Weimer/Yelle/Kobasew
Kobasew certainly deserves the opportunity to nail down second line RW. If he plays well, Weimer could get moved up, occasionally, onto one of the top 2 LW spots against certain teams.

Quote:
Or am I everything that those folks on the Oilers board think I am - out to lunch?
Who cares what they think?

Old
08-31-2004, 08:20 AM
kolanos

Nilson will not break the Flames' top-six on a healthy roster. Not much point in breaking up the Nieminen-Nilson-Donovan line -- despite Nilson beeing a poor faceoff man (he could get better). That line is so dominating in controlling the play that they really don't even need a good faceoff man to be effective. They're fast, they can cycle the puck, they can play a physical game with authority and they have great chemistry.

Kobasew really deserves top-six ice-time. He's demonstrated a much improved two-way game in the second half of the season and during the playoffs and has gotten much better away from the puck. That's about all Sutter really expected from him and he should now be able to trust him with second line ice-time and allow him to put his scoring touch to real use with legit talent.

Langkow and Iginla are a match made in heaven. All Iginla needs is a linemate that can keep up with him and Langkow is exactly that. The question is, who plays with those two? Simon just doesn't have the wheels to keep up with those two, and while he can make room on the ice for his linemates, Langkow is enough of an offensive threat to create room for Iginla to do what he does best. Gelinas is the obvious choice, he was incredible in the playoffs -- a one man wrecking crew, and has the speed and hockey sense to only add to that line.

Where does that leave Simon? Well, the Flames have a fine playmaker who can not only setup Simon with great scoring opportunities but who would also benefit from having a big guy looking out for him and creating room for him to create those scoring opportunities, and that player is Reinprecht. Pair those two with Kobasew and you have no only a line that can pack a punch but also pairs a couple of the Flames' smaller forwards with a big man who can make sure the opposition doesn't take liberties.

Gelinas-Langkow-Iginla
Simon-Reinprecht-Kobasew

Why isn't Lobmardi in the Flames top six? Well there is the concern that his concussion is more serious than has been reported, but I suspect he'll be ready for next season so that isn't my reason for not including him in the top two lines. I didn't include him there because I think that Reinprecht is closer to being a legitimate offensive weapon and that Lombardi still needs some work on consistency. Both have their injury woes however and are likely interchangeable should one get hurt.

Old
08-31-2004, 08:55 AM
Mike__

I don't think there will be any set lines. Sutter does alot of line juggling. You could have Simon with Iggy on the first shift and next shift Simon could be on the checking line. Nilson I could see playing with Iggy and Langkow though. As for Gelinas, he was great during the playoffs but only mediocre during the season. I don't know if I'd like to see him on the top line, but then again I'm not Sutter.

Old
08-31-2004, 10:13 AM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike__
IAs for Gelinas, he was great during the playoffs but only mediocre during the season.
That thought had kind of occurred to me, as well. He definitely turns it up a notch in the playoffs. He'll be decent during the regular season, but not what we saw during the spring. His presense in the lineup will help guys like Lombardi and Kobasew. Eventually, adding Nystrom into the lineup should be a relatively seemless transition.

Old
08-31-2004, 10:49 AM
Go Flames Go*

Lombardi, and Kobasew should get a chance to be on the 2nd line they are gonna be our future and provide some much needed offesnce this upcoming season.

I think Sutter will interchange the lines through out the season.

Old
08-31-2004, 01:51 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
I personally feel that Sutter ought to keep Gelinas and Iginla together. Does anyone else agree? If they are kept together, who should centre their line - Langkow or Reinprecht? While I think Langkow is the better player, I think Reinprecht might be the better solution for several reasons. I thought Rhino looked very good with Iggy when they did play, and I think that he is a better playmaker than Langkow is. Furthermore, I think with Gelinas being already a very responsable player in his own zone, and Iginla at least being par for the course in their own zone, I think the Flames would be better suited placing Reinprecht, a player who probobly isn't so hot defensively, on their line rather than suiting him up with linemates who themselves might not be consumate two-way players themselves.

How does this sound, Flames fans?

Simon/Langkow/Nilson

My thoughts are that you keep the chemistry of Gelinas and Iginla and Reinprecht and Iginla together, as well as giving Langkow a shooter and a power winger to play with, potentially a great three-way combination. Simon also showed some definate ability to be a big-game presence in the playoffs when he was healthy, and he might be ready to build off that and have one of his best seasons ever in 2004-05 (if there is a season!).

As for the bottom 6, I am of the thought that Jason Weimer is far, far more useful on the wing than at centre ice. With that in mind:

Weimer/Yelle/Kobasew

Both of these lines will get heavy play on a Sutter team, and I think both of these lines have incredible speed and character players. I think Donovan and Yelle are the backbones of the two lines, so I seperate them. Weimer I feel might not be able to keep up to Nieminen, Lombardi or Donovan. Kobasew I guess will have to slow down a bit with Yelle and Weimer

So what do you folks think? Good lines? Or am I everything that those folks on the Oilers board think I am - out to lunch?
1. Sutter recently said that Simon, Nilson and Reinprecht would likely be our top 3 LWers. That obviously means he's thinking Reino won't play centre and that Gelinas will not be a key guy.

2. I also would tend to drop Gelinas down the lines. He certainly is not one of our most consistent guys in the regular season and was pretty invisible in the first few games of many of the playoff series. He's not getting any faster at his age, I think he'll probably play 3rd or 4th line.

3. Kobasew I think will get a chance on the top two lines, same with Lombardi.

Reinprecht-Langkow-Iginla
Simon-Lombardi-Kobasew
Nilson-Yelle-Donovan
Gelinas-Wiemer-Nieminen/Clark

Those would probably be my lines based on what Sutter has suggested although I personally like Reinprecht at centre and would prefer Wiemer on the wing.

Old
08-31-2004, 02:30 PM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher
Reinprecht-Langkow-Iginla
Simon-Lombardi-Kobasew
http://forum.calgarypuck.com/index.php?showtopic=1654

Check out the second paragraph from BigRed. He expressed my thoughts exactly. Since Reinprecht & Langkow don't have a lot of size, that would leave Iginla to handle the rough stuff. That's a cause for concern. Weimer could also be utilized, in a similar role as Simon's, on the other scoring line.

Old
08-31-2004, 02:54 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Bob
Check out the second paragraph from BigRed. He expressed my thoughts exactly. Since Reinprecht & Langkow don't have a lot of size, that would leave Iginla to handle the rough stuff. That's a cause for concern. Weimer could also be utilized, in a similar role as Simon's, on the other scoring line.
Personally I think Wiemer doesn't have the skill required to play on a top two line.

As for the rough stuff, I don't think a line has to engage in it as much if they are all highly skilled players. Cycling isn't as important when you have guys that can beat defenders cleanly. Reinprecht-Langkow-Iginla would be fast and extremely skilled, I think they'd be tough to stop and wouldn't have to work the boards and the corners as much as other grinding lines. It's not like Tanguay-Sakic-Hejduk employ a big grinder and yet they have been a very successful line. I could provide more examples if you wanted.

We only have one Simon. At least one of the top two lines is going to play without him and I think Kobasew and Lombardi need his presence a lot more than guys like Reinprecht, Langkow and Iginla do.

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher: 08-31-2004 at 02:58 PM.
Old
08-31-2004, 03:21 PM
mazmin
Go! Jets! Go!

Simon - Lombardi - Iginla = Good size & shots on both wings of playmaking center.
Reinprecht - Langkow - Kobasew = Finally a 2nd line that scores. Kobasew's big chance.
Nieminen - Nilson - Donovan = Best third line I've ever seen. Don't mess.
Gelinas - Yelle - Clark = Mix of experience, toughness and speed. Great 4th line.

Weimer is the rover. He's a tough checking type but can play on a scoring line and not look out of place. On top of that he also plays center and wing so don't worry about ice time.

Even after losing Gauthier theres still a glut of d-men. Regehr, Leopold, Warrener, Lydman, Phaneuf, Ference, Commodore, Montodor

Sutter did a good job in bringing in some scoring in the offseason. Tampa Bay won the Cup with two solid lines that could score. With a healthy Lombardi and Reinprecht, a full year of Simon and a breakout season from Kobasew, this team could score a lot more goals than they give up.

Old
09-03-2004, 11:29 AM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazmin
Weimer is the rover. He's a tough checking type but can play on a scoring line and not look out of place. On top of that he also plays center and wing so don't worry about ice time.
Yep. It shouldn't surprise anybody if Weimer's on a top scoring line against certain teams. The important thing is that he gives Sutter options. Everybody knows that there was a substantial drop-off in skill after Iginla. Weimer will have no difficulty fitting in with the system. Langkow's a very capable replacement for Conroy. Weimer won't be the enforcer that Oliwa was, but he'll provide more offense with (hopefully) fewer costly penalties.

Old
09-08-2004, 10:03 PM
ArizonaGreenTea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike__
I don't think there will be any set lines. Sutter does alot of line juggling. You could have Simon with Iggy on the first shift and next shift Simon could be on the checking line. Nilson I could see playing with Iggy and Langkow though. As for Gelinas, he was great during the playoffs but only mediocre during the season. I don't know if I'd like to see him on the top line, but then again I'm not Sutter.
I agree with this point the most, from what I saw during the regular season the starting line was just the line with Iginla. Sutter will promote players as they get hot, Kobasew will play second line as his play starts to jump. When Gelinas is working his heart out he will get first line duties, same with Simon. Langkow will be on the first line as long as he outworks Reinprecht, or vice versa. I know that the speedy Niemenen/Nilson/Donovan line will not be kept together just because they had excellent chemistry in the playoffs.

There are advantages to letting players gel together, but there are advantages to mixing things up. Things won't be as hot anymore on the second line so we'll put Simon in to give it a spark, Wiemer is working his heart out so he'll get a chance to play with Iginla and prove himself.

That said I see things starting off with:

Simon/Reinprecht/Iginla
Nilson/Langkow/Donovan
Gelinas/Yelle/Clark
Niemenen/Weimer/Kobasew

Ritchie

Old
09-09-2004, 10:36 AM
Flames Draft Watcher

Where's Lombardi?

Old
09-09-2004, 01:39 PM
ArizonaGreenTea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher
Where's Lombardi?
I didn't include him because of the injury, when he gets back he might have limited second line duties.

Old
09-09-2004, 01:45 PM
Shane

Quote:
While they beat my 'Nucks in the playoffs, I've always loved the Flames. For me, my top 3 teams are always Vancouver, then the two Alberta teams.
Heathen.

Closed Thread