HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

Penn State - Big Ten Hockey Conference

Old
03-26-2011, 01:41 AM
phillyflu

vCash: 500
Penn State - Big Ten Hockey Conference

I did a search and could only find a couple older PSU threads. I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet.

Quote:
It’s official: Big Ten Hockey Conference becomes a reality

Finally confirming one of the worst kept secrets in college sports, the Big Ten announced their intentions to recommend establishing men’s ice hockey as an official conference sport. Joining Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Ohio State, and Wisconsin, Penn State will officially begin Big Ten play in 2013-14.

http://nittanywhiteout.com/2011/03/2...mes-a-reality/
Long article, but a good read.

phillyflu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 10:24 AM
billycanuck

There was a thread here, but it was moved to 'The Business of Hockey' thread because it was being discussed so much. You can see it here; http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=891823

billycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 10:31 AM
Dakota Sioux

vCash: 250
Not good for college hockey in my book. The WCHA will be fine yet but I see the CCHA being in a world of hurt especially if Miami and Notre Dame decide to jump ship.

Dakota Sioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 10:38 AM
phillyflu

Quote:
Originally Posted by billycanuck View Post
There was a thread here, but it was moved to 'The Business of Hockey' thread because it was being discussed so much. You can see it here; http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=891823
Thanks, I didn't even think to look in another part of board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Sioux View Post
Not good for college hockey in my book. The WCHA will be fine yet but I see the CCHA being in a world of hurt especially if Miami and Notre Dame decide to jump ship.
I don't have a side in that argument either way. As a PSU fan, I haven't had a rooting interest up to this point. So for me as a fan it's good. And I get to see them play against schools I'm familiar with and already hate.

phillyflu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2011, 12:09 PM
Dakota Sioux

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyflu View Post
Thanks, I didn't even think to look in another part of board.

I don't have a side in that argument either way. As a PSU fan, I haven't had a rooting interest up to this point. So for me as a fan it's good. And I get to see them play against schools I'm familiar with and already hate.
Well I hope I am wrong but as of now it just doesn't look like a good deal. It all comes down to money and the Big Ten has plenty of it.

Old
03-26-2011, 11:51 PM
Whiskeypete

Quote:
my guess is some of the MI schools will move into the WCHA. the conference could actually expand by adding some of the CCHA schools. create a western and eastern division. the WCHA could possibly turn into a hockey powerhouse as a result if they did this. say they turn into a 16-20 team conference with two divisions. it would leave the 6 teams in the B10 and the 10 teams in Hockey East.

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 10:47 AM
ecemleafs

Quote:
where would miami and nd jump ship too?

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 02:11 PM
Dakota Sioux

Penn St. naming their head coach on monday. My money is on Sandelin.

Old
04-24-2011, 04:28 PM
ecemleafs

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-...042411aaa.html

Penn State Director of Athletics Tim Curley has announced the hiring of Guy Gadowsky, formerly of Princeton University, as the first head coach of the men's ice hockey program.

Old
04-28-2011, 11:38 AM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-...042411aaa.html

Penn State Director of Athletics Tim Curley has announced the hiring of Guy Gadowsky, formerly of Princeton University, as the first head coach of the men's ice hockey program.
IMO, this is a very good hiring for PSU. Gadowsky has a good track record of rebuilding programs. All you have to do is look at what he did at Alaska-Fairbanks and Princeton. He's also a good recruiter and hires assistants that have a good eye for talent, especially in finding those "hidden gems."

I'm certainly looking forward to what he does with the Nittany Lions. They're in good hands with Gadowsky.

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 11:04 PM
ecemleafs

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-...052711aaa.html

Gadkowski will coach the final season for the Icers before going D1 in 2012.

Quote:
The move accommodates the accelerated time frame for the transition to NCAA Division I status in 2012-13. Coach Gadowsky and assistant coaches Keith Fisher and Matt Lindsay are on campus and have begun preparing to coach the Icers next season. Gadowsky and his staff have the challenge of leading the transition to play in the proposed Big Ten Hockey Conference by 2013-14 in the new Pegula Ice Arena, a full year earlier than originally planned.

Old
06-01-2011, 11:50 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
This may be bad for college hockey as a whole but, as a Big Ten fan, this is good for me for the simple fact that I'll be able to watch college hockey games regularly on the BTN.

Just a shame that the Illini are likely never going to make the jump up from the ACHA to the NCAA in hockey.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 10:27 PM
Stories
Hockey scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
This may be bad for college hockey as a whole but, as a Big Ten fan, this is good for me for the simple fact that I'll be able to watch college hockey games regularly on the BTN.

Just a shame that the Illini are likely never going to make the jump up from the ACHA to the NCAA in hockey.
Great story by Adam Wodon about the ramifications of the B10 conference:

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...range_days.php

Quote:
It all starts with Notre Dame. (Well, it all started with Penn State and the Big Ten, but that's already happened.) Think about it — you're Notre Dame's president. Your sports teams all play in the Big East, or, in the case of football, is the most storied program in college sports. You fire up CHN's iPhone app one morning to check the hockey standings, and what do you see? You see Notre Dame competing against some MAC and D-II schools. You recoil. This is not what Notre Dame does. This is not what Notre Dame is.

Stories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 07:36 PM
Officer Rod Farva
Do You Even Lift Bro

Quote:
won't happen.

Miami Can't compete with other B10 sports and ND wont join the B10 due to football plus the agreement with the Big East, which it wont leave cause the basketball

Officer Rod Farva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 01:30 AM
ND Irish 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middletown Mike View Post
won't happen.

Miami Can't compete with other B10 sports and ND wont join the B10 due to football plus the agreement with the Big East, which it wont leave cause the basketball
I don't think that the Big 10 would want us for hockey alone anyways- I'm sure that joining B 10 hockey would be contingent on joining the B10 for everything else, independence (at least in football) is valued highly in South Bend

ND Irish 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 03:20 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Anyone know what is this loophole they are talking about? I'm curious about it.

Is it like because Penn State will play as an independent school this year?

Quote:
The pair is taking advantage of loophole to NCAA rules, that allows them to play for Penn State's club program this coming season instead of sitting out the NCAA's mandatory one-year waiting period that normally applies to transfers.
http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...ansferring.php

Habs Prospects website
habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 09:16 PM
billycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsprospects View Post
Anyone know what is this loophole they are talking about? I'm curious about it.

Is it like because Penn State will play as an independent school this year?

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...ansferring.php
I don't think it is much of a loophole. Bryce Luker did the same thing a few years ago where he left Michigan Tech to play in the BCHL with Langley, then was recruited by Canisius College and didn't have to sit out. What he did, assuming this is the loophole, is that while he was playing Jr.A with Langley, he was enrolled full-time at an American university. He would actually commute from Langley to his school that was located just over the US border.

So technically he and the other transfers are 'sitting out' a year because they are still enrolled full time at an American university but not playing NCAA hockey.

Of course, anyone correct me if I am wrong.

billycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 11:53 AM
Rocko604

So with light now be shone on to Penn State's athletic board over the sexual abuse allegations, could this damage their chances of icing a hockey team?

Quite honestly, if the allegations are true (which seems to be the case, but due process and what not), then the football program should be SMU'd x100. So how would that affect the rest of their sports?

Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 08:29 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
No clue, as this is pretty much unprecedented. I think that the Big Ten as a whole has enough sway that the formation of their hockey program won't be jeopardized, as if it was it'd completely screw up their plans to make a hockey conference, but when it comes to football I can't for the life of me imagine a scenario where they aren't absolutely busted for a lack of institutional control by the NCAA.

There's gotta be a punishment provision for.... you know.... covering up freaking felonies.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 09:21 PM
sbkbghockey

This is a horrible situation and a sad day for Penn State, college football, and college sports in general.

Idk if there is an NCAA punishment for covering up felonies (if not, I bet there will be soon!). Another thought-although it's not directly an NCAA issue being covered up and more of a moral and legal issue, it's interesting to think if something like this was covered up by the PSU athletic dept, administration, possibly Joe Pa/coaching staff, etc... how many non-legal NCAA-related issues are being covered up by PSU and other universities that'd make USC, Miami (FL), or Ohio State look like saints.

I can't remember any situation remotely close to the PSU situation so it'll be interesting to see how it turns out. Hopefully for college hockey and the Icers, the tarnishing of PSU football will help the hockey program come out from the (collapsing) shadow of PSU football. On the other hand it could easily hurt hockey and all PSU sports, and probably the university as a whole for quite some time. All PSU sports could have trouble recruiting, gaining donations, fan support, etc... Another big issue is if a new athletic department staff and university admin support hockey or focus all the energy on rebuilding the football program.

sbkbghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 12:14 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkbghockey View Post
This is a horrible situation and a sad day for Penn State, college football, and college sports in general.

Idk if there is an NCAA punishment for covering up felonies (if not, I bet there will be soon!). Another thought-although it's not directly an NCAA issue being covered up and more of a moral and legal issue, it's interesting to think if something like this was covered up by the PSU athletic dept, administration, possibly Joe Pa/coaching staff, etc... how many non-legal NCAA-related issues are being covered up by PSU and other universities that'd make USC, Miami (FL), or Ohio State look like saints.

I can't remember any situation remotely close to the PSU situation so it'll be interesting to see how it turns out. Hopefully for college hockey and the Icers, the tarnishing of PSU football will help the hockey program come out from the (collapsing) shadow of PSU football. On the other hand it could easily hurt hockey and all PSU sports, and probably the university as a whole for quite some time. All PSU sports could have trouble recruiting, gaining donations, fan support, etc... Another big issue is if a new athletic department staff and university admin support hockey or focus all the energy on rebuilding the football program.
It really is a sad day. The university and the NCAA need to do the right thing here. The perpetrators should have their day in court and if the allegations are proven to be true without a doubt (not saying that they aren't), then PSU needs to punish those responsible and send a message that this sort of thing will not be tolerated going forward. Furthermore, if the allegations are true, then the NCAA has to impose stiff sanctions on PSU's football program, whether it be the loss of scholarships, banned from post-season play or whatever. IMO, this is the only way that PSU can set things right again and move on.

Having said all of that, I don't think it will affect the hockey program from the standpoint of moving forward with their plans. I do think that if both PSU and the NCAA do the right thing (and they should), it will send a clear message to ALL of its athletic programs that this type of behavior will not be tolerated. It's easy to turn a blind eye to despicable things like this, but PSU has an obligation here to do the right thing and make every effort possible to make sure that it doesn't happen again.

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 11:27 AM
MN_Gopher

vCash: 2900
I could see PSU get the death penalty. I am sure it will happen to football. It may happen across the board. I am not sure how that will effect the big ten hockey conference. There are more imoprtant things than hockey. Frowning upon **** and child abuse should be one of them.

MN_Gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 08:24 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
You can't give the death penalty to sports that did nothing wrong. Every other program except football will be fine.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote