I did my Top 20 Mock Draft today and it would be great to hear some comments about it. I haven´t seen all the players, so I can only comment something on players who I have seen... but anyway here is my early Mock Draft for 2012.
1. Nail Yakupov, Sarnia Sting (OHL)
I´ve only seen him once playing, but wow he is good... he has a great shot, very good offensive instincts, and plays hard. In my opinion he is the best prospect of this draft right now.
2. Mikhail Grigorenko, Quebec Remparts (QMJHL)
I haven´t seen him playing too much either, but Grigorenko´s vision and puck skills have been outstanding every time I have seen him playing. He seems to be a very creative offensive player, and has done very well already in the Q.
3. Morgan Rielly, Moose Jaw (WHL)
I really liked this player at the Ivan Hlinka... Rielly has all the tools to be a very good NHLer. He plays a smart game and has a very good shot. Rielly is clearly one of my favorite prospects in this draft due to his excellent showing at that tournament.
4. Ryan Murray, Everett Silvertips (WHL) I really would like to see Murray playing and I hope that it will change this season at some International tournament.
5. Mathew Dumba, Red Deer (WHL)
Here is another great defenseman from the WHL... I like Dumba´s vision, hands and shot, plus he is a physical D as well.
6. Alex Galchenyuk, Sarnia Sting (OHL)
7. Brendan Gaunce, Belleville Bulls (OHL)
I might have him higher than some other people, but I really like this player. He is physical, has good hands, plays very well along the boards... Gaunce should be a high pick in this draft.
8. Filip Forsberg, Leksand (Allsvenskan)
Perhaps I haven´t seen the right games, because in my viewings he hasn´t been as good as I would have liked to see. He has been great for Sweden though...
9. Martin Frk, Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL)
I don´t think he has yet played a game in the QMJHL this season, but I still see Frk as a very high pick. He needs to work on his skating a lot though by what I have seen, but he has all the physical tools already.
10. Jacob Trouba, USA (USHL)
11. Nick Ebert, Windsor (OHL)
12. Olli Määttä, London Knights (OHL)
I really like Määttä, who I think is the best Finnish prospect in the draft. He is very reliable, has decent skills and I overally like him as a two-way defenseman.
13. Andreas Athanasiou, London Knights (OHL)
He was very good at Ivan Hlinka, where he displayed very good speed and hands. I liked his scoring touch as well.
14. Scott Laughton, Oshawa Generals (OHL)
Like Gaunce, I probably have Laughton fairly high, but this is a player who I really like. He is smart, plays hard, is good in the defensive zone and can skate.
15. Matia Marcantuoni, Kitchener Rangers (OHL)
Marcantuoni is one of the best skating forwards of all draft eligible forwards for the draft. He has great speed and seems to be a physical player, despite not being really big.
16. Pontus Åberg, Djurgården (Elitserien)
17. Slater Koekkoek, Peterborough Petes (OHL)
Koekkoek is a good skater, who has been in my viewings very good. I like his shot and hands as well. In addition he is big. Lots of upside.
18. Anton Slepyshev, Metallurg Novokuznetsk (KHL)
Slepyshev has not been playing a lot in the games I have seen from him in the KHL but has done well. He is a big kid with a good shot, and has good stick skills. Will his draft stock fall due to the fact that he has a contract with his KHL team until the 2013/14 season?
19. Teuvo Teräväinen, Jokerit (Jr. A)
Every time I go watch Jokerit, I come away very impressed by Teräväinen. He is not big, but he has great hands, is a very creative forward, with a very good hockey sense. For me it´s easy to rank Teräväinen this high, as I see him playing a lot here in Finland.
20. Derrick Pouliot, Portland Winterhawks (WHL)
Pouliot is not really big, but his vision, smartness and puck skills are on a very good level. He had a good last season and has started this season well offensively in the WHL.