HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A DG like Burke in Montreal, Is it possible?

Old
10-22-2011, 11:29 PM
wolfer

vCash: 500
What I find funny reading here is that a few months ago many people on this board were praising Gauthier for his work and saying he was alright as a GM. The facts are Gauthier is a clueless sack of crap and by far one of the worst GMs of the league. Reality is Markov's contract is the worst of the summer and Cole is not that far behind. I'm not a fan of Burke but he looks like a genius in front of a bum like Pierre Gauthier.

wolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 11:41 PM
Shab

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfer View Post
What I find funny reading here is that a few months ago many people on this board were praising Gauthier for his work and saying he was alright as a GM. The facts are Gauthier is a clueless sack of crap and by far one of the worst GMs of the league. Reality is Markov's contract is the worst of the summer and Cole is not that far behind. I'm not a fan of Burke but he looks like a genius in front of a bum like Pierre Gauthier.
Cole was an awful contract. I know we by nature are not supposed to like people to do with the Leafs but Burke has been nothing but good for that team. I don't understand how people can debate the Kessel trade if you look at production now and in the next few years (even assuming he is his usual 30 G 30 A self, Seguin can't match that). Burke also has a knack for getting good extra pieces like that guy Gardiner, Aulie with the Phaneuf deal and somehow getting rid of Blake AND Toskala!!! We're stuck with Gomaise, trade away D'Agostini, and sign back captain injury Markov...disgusting

Shab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 12:00 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
No the Ducks acquired the best player in that deal, a washed up Beauchemin
while I appreciate the sarcasm, I actually think the Ducks are perfectly content with the outcome of that deal.

They didn't want/need to keep paying Lupul, and Beauchemin was a "known" commodity who fit a clear need for them to help balance out their "offensive-minded" oriented D group.

it cost them Gardiner, which I'm sure hurts, but with Fowler/Sbisa they had two NHL ready young dmen already in place (not that having more isn't a good thing, but to a degree it was a "strength").

I think that's a relative "win-win" trade, even if the leafs probably came out ahead in terms of overall assets.

that makes it all the more of a schrewd move for Burke, in that he did give the other team what they needed, so they walk away happy and therefore that much more inclined to do business again, while at the same time securing a greater "asset" advantage for his team.

heck, with how good Kessel is playing now (and while 7 games is by no means a guarantee of things to come, and he has always been pretty streaky), if he turns into a guy who puts together multiple seasons where he's competing for the Richard trophy, those picks Burke gave up to get him won't look so bad.

like his style or not, the guy is ballsy, shrewd, and knows what he wants... Is it too much to ask for the Habs to hire someone cut from that cloth (even if he does it with the "strong silent" type of demeanor) ?

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 12:16 AM
pjfanman

Leaf fan coming in peace. I'm sure he would take back the Kessel trade if he could but I think most of you don't realize how gutted the leafs were when he took over. Old team that were on the decline and near the bottom in terms of prospects. Still a long ways to go but the leafs prospect pool is getting there and he has made some very good trades while transforming them into a young team. The gardiner and lupul trade being the best not to mention the phaneuf deal.

A gm that is aggressive will make mistakes. If you don't want that, better go the Edmonton route and hope to luck out with some franchise players that are drafted. Not sure that the Montreal market would accept that though.

pjfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:43 AM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

vCash: 1400
Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Montreal is definitely too conservative for a GM like that...missing the playoffs 6 straight years and not have a powerhouse to show for it wouldn't fly here

In all seriousness he's been a terrible GM in Toronto, the only FA's he's gotten are guys that are massively overpaid(Komisarek Connolly). The Kessel trade is a screw up of monumental proportions. The Phaneuf trade is a salary dump(though Phaneuf is playing better) who is way overpaid. He overvalues his team every year and makes bad moves as a result. All this while spending a pile of money on players and front office people.
Wow do you actually believe this crap?

I'll give you an example...When Burke was hired how many Leafs would have made the Montreal Canadians team?

Now, how many Canadians would make the Leafs this season?

He has done a fine job getting rid of the deadwood and giving us the best set of prospects we have seen in a very long time

Poignant Discussion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 02:29 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

I agree that when Burke came to Toronto he had nothing to work with. And he made something out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
..and it seems too easy to go the other way, all emotion. A GM that gets pushed aound by the press, or gets mad and burns the house down instead of working woth what he has and improving the team when an opportunity arises.

I was not a fan of Martin in Ottawa, and he did absolutley nothing in Florida. He had some good rookies and did nothing...

I remember the first few games with this new roster, Gomez, Gionta and Camelari were flying!! Real pressure to get goals at the end of a close game....

Where is that now?

What we have is a afrustrated Subban who tries to carry all the mail, and he is just to young to be that guy.
I like what Martin did in Ottawa and he had less success in Florida but he had nothing to work with. I think he managed to do good work with the Habs with what has been in my opinion a limited squad(taking them to the conference finals with what?). But his fault always comes down to lack of emotion and grit. It cost him against the Leafs times and times again. And I saw a difference when Martin left Ottawa and Murray was brought in as coach. Suddenly that team got a swagger they didn't have before. All the players had fire, even the skilled guys. (also for the Sens fans, let me tell you that Murray is a better coach than GM, just MO).

Last edited by overlords: 10-23-2011 at 04:35 AM.
Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 04:45 AM
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday

vCash: 797
I come in peace. But I would like to point out a couple things.

Burke didn't trade for Grabovski Cliff Fletcher did.

Lupul was has been alot more to the Leafs than just a salary dump. He provided Kessel with a legit top 6 offensive player to play with. In the 36 games they have played together Kessel just under 50 points.

Lastly it is a myth that Burke inherited a cup winner with the Ducks. He brought in all 6 Dmen and more than half the forwards on that cup winning team including their leading scorer.
There were more Burke/Nonis players on last years cup finalist Canucks then there were Murray players on the cup winning Ducks and I don't here anyone saying the Leafs management built that team.

Also from an outsiders perspective the Gomez trade wasn't exactly good but I dont think you guys would have signed Cami or Gionta with out that trade so it worked out alright for you.

Last edited by cyris: 10-23-2011 at 04:50 AM.
cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 06:52 AM
GrizzLeaf

Another Leaf fan coming in peace.

Burke's won some big trades for sure. As another poster pointed out, he seems to get some "add ins" that turn out to be decent prospects (Aulie and Gardiner come to mind).

But he's far from perfect. He shoots his mouth off, which is entertaining but a great way for other teams' fans to shove our faces in it. He's also screwed up a couple of times, bringing in the wrong player. Beauchemin, Versteeg, Giggy and Komi.

The thing with a GM like Burke, he likes to make big trades, and take chances. Sometimes they pan out, and he looks like a genius (Phaneuf trade would look so different if he really were a dressing room cancer, or he continued to play as bad as he did in Calgary). Sometimes they don't pan out, and the fans are left wondering what they heck was he thinking?

I'm not sure if every fanbase can handle a GM like Burke. While it's exciting to see what changes he'll make, it's also a little scary wondering what we're gonna get.

GrizzLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote