HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shea Weber

Old
10-20-2011, 09:13 AM
stingo

vCash: 500
Shea Weber

Do you think the Wings will go after him in the off-season?

stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 09:31 AM
Lugaid
Hajlajtreelmål!

Send a message via Skype™ to Lugaid
Short answer: Nah

With a potential MAYBE if Lids calls it quits, but I think Holland would prefer to sign 2 defenseman for Nick's salary.

Lugaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 09:41 AM
Datstromberg

if they are serious about continuing to finish in the top 3 in the conference every year, they should...

Datstromberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 10:25 AM
Huddy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Huddy*
All depends on the money layout...I would think taking a few million less per year w a shot at the cup every year means more to him now (considering Nashville will never get past 2nd rd- ever!!) then it ever has...If Nick does come back, I could see Nick going for 2 million...if there was ever a time for Nick to do the right thing for this franchise and wants to play another year, he cant be paid more than 2 mil.....Holmer is off books, maybe 1-2 others will be at the time FA opens, current cap space, plus the fact the cap could go up, I like the Wings chances....Lets just not get into a bidding war with another team, only to find out the Wings overpaid him...I think Holland is smarter than that....

Huddy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 10:27 AM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Get real, this is the last season for Lidstrom... Weber/Suter is a must next summer.

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 10:48 AM
babcockscowl

I hear Weber is the target, if not I hope they get Captain America from the Devils and just have stacked offensive arsenal

Last edited by babcockscowl: 10-20-2011 at 02:31 PM.
babcockscowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 10:57 AM
Datstromberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugaid View Post

With a potential MAYBE if Lids calls it quits, but I think Holland would prefer to sign 2 defenseman for Nick's salary.
not going to get the job done. 2 pretty good players doesnt = 1 bonafide superstar. that would be like trading zetterberg for a couple of 50-60 point players. Then who's going to score those huge goals in the playoffs?
I hope holland gets serious about putting a truly dominant d-man in nicks place. Something tells me kindl, ericsson and smith dont have that type of potential.

Datstromberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:01 AM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingo View Post
First off love the avatar! Wings fans covet Weber as much as any fanbase in the NHL there's reason to believe Wings management will do what they can - within reason - to bring him to Detroit. With that being said I am pretty confident that the price via trade will be much more than Ken Holland would be willing to pay.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:27 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datstromberg View Post
not going to get the job done. 2 pretty good players doesnt = 1 bonafide superstar. that would be like trading zetterberg for a couple of 50-60 point players. Then who's going to score those huge goals in the playoffs?
I hope holland gets serious about putting a truly dominant d-man in nicks place. Something tells me kindl, ericsson and smith dont have that type of potential.
How many guys in this league could step in and be a reasonable replacement for Lids? Four? Five? By and large, teams are forced to build a blueline by committee, and that's what we'll likely end up doing. I'm sure we'll pursue a guy like Weber or Suter, if they hit the market, but it's just unlikely that we'll actually get them. And I think those three guys could form a solid chunk of such a blueline. Add them to Kronwall, Stuart and White, and it's really not bad.

10-20-2011, 11:34 AM
Himself

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Weber still a RFA after this season?

Whatever Detroit would be willing to offer to grab him, I'm sure there are teams who can offer more. I don't see Nashville as being particularly eager to give the Red Wings a #1 D, either.

Himself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:42 AM
Huddy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Huddy*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Himself View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Weber still a RFA after this season?

Whatever Detroit would be willing to offer to grab him, I'm sure there are teams who can offer more. I don't see Nashville as being particularly eager to give the Red Wings a #1 D, either.
Nashville wont be able to compete w the Wings, considering they have to sign Ryan Suter, Rinne, Kostitsyn, Toooooooooooooootoooooooo, Cal O'Reilly, and Bergafors.....

Suter / Weber = 12 million combined <--- and this is being somewhat fair..both could be a combined 14 million but lets just assume 12
Rinne = Anywhere btwn 4-6 million <--- his value to the Preds is priceless. They wont let him go..See him signing for somewhere btwn 5.5 mil and 6 mil depending on his season
Kostitsyn = btwn 2 - 3.5 million
Tootoo= btwn 1- 2 million
O' Reilly = btwn 2 mil -3 mil
Bergafors = 500k-1 mil

Roughly anywhere btwn 20 mil and 24 million in RFA/ UFAs thats Nashville just wont be able to match

Weber wants out
Suter wants out
Rinne will get paid
Kostityn/Tootoo/O'Reilly/ Bergafors are the players Nashville has to decide if they want back...

its really 50/50 on what to expect, but looking at the past threads on this, Suter or Weber will be a Red Wing..

Huddy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:59 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

More of this fantasy nonsense? Wings fans on here are starting to sound like Knicks fans with LeBron James.

Here's what's going to happen: next offseason, Lidstrom will decide whether or not to retire or play another year, and this decision will be made well ahead of the free agent season opening. When free agency does start, Ken Holland will look at who's available, and what his budget is to sign players, and act accordingly. There is a non-zero, but very small probability, that he would consider getting involved in the RFA market. What players the Wings acquire will be dictated by the realities of the marketplace and the fact that other teams will likely be attempting to acquire the same players.

Epsilon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 12:24 PM
kdfsjljklgjfg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugaid View Post

The problem is, then who do we lose? Ericsson, White, and Kindl are all signed past next year, and Kronwall will definitely be resigned, and Smith will likely be up for good. If you're not going after an elite D-man but are going for two average/very good ones, letting Stuart walk to sign an equal level player would be pointless, and then you'd be getting another one for the 7th spot that wouldn't even play full time, or would push Smith into the press box.

kdfsjljklgjfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 12:30 PM
crashman

This topic has been discussed many, many times here. It seems that fans of all 30 teams think they have the best shot at landing Weber.

It's highly unlikely that he ends up in Detroit, especially if Detroit and Nashville remain in the same conference next season. I would think it to be slightly more likely if one of these two teams head to the eastern conference, but still pretty unlikely.

Ryan Suter is a more likely candidate for signing with the Wings because he's a UFA after this season, and we saw how Nashville dealt with Weber during the off-season. If Nashville wants to be taken seriously, they can't get rid of Weber and will spend whatever they have to keep him, but paying Suter what he'll demand might present a problem for them, especially since Rinne's contract is expiring as well. Nashville has a bunch of expiring contracts at the end of the season but I'm pretty sure they're going to want to retain most of those players, I just doubt they'll be able to pay them all fair salaries and may lose some of the higher paid guys.

If Nashville is out of the playoff picture at the trade deadline, then maybe they'll try to deal Suter if they don't think they're going to be able to resign him. If they're smart (which can't be assumed when you consider how they dealt with Weber) then they'll at least avoid losing him for nothing.

If it's decided that Detroit (or Nashville) is heading to the Eastern conference in December and the possibility of landing Suter presents itself, I wouldn't mind seeing the Wings trade Brad Stuart + for Suter. I love Stuart but I'd rather see the Wings pay something like $6.5m for Suter, who has equal or better defensive but much more offensive ability, than pay Stuart $4m+ just for his defensive game.

crashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 12:33 PM
TheNextOneX

Guy has no interest of coming here. Give up.

TheNextOneX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 12:45 PM
RedMachine87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Whale View Post
Nashville wont be able to compete w the Wings, considering they have to sign Ryan Suter, Rinne, Kostitsyn, Toooooooooooooootoooooooo, Cal O'Reilly, and Bergafors.....

Suter / Weber = 12 million combined <--- and this is being somewhat fair..both could be a combined 14 million but lets just assume 12
Rinne = Anywhere btwn 4-6 million <--- his value to the Preds is priceless. They wont let him go..See him signing for somewhere btwn 5.5 mil and 6 mil depending on his season
Kostitsyn = btwn 2 - 3.5 million
Tootoo= btwn 1- 2 million
O' Reilly = btwn 2 mil -3 mil
Bergafors = 500k-1 mil

Roughly anywhere btwn 20 mil and 24 million in RFA/ UFAs thats Nashville just wont be able to match

Weber wants out
Suter wants out
Rinne will get paid
Kostityn/Tootoo/O'Reilly/ Bergafors are the players Nashville has to decide if they want back...

its really 50/50 on what to expect, but looking at the past threads on this, Suter or Weber will be a Red Wing..
Not sure I share your optimism, but I do hope you're right . Either one of them would obviously be a great addition to the team. And given our current cap situation (and assuming the salary cap doesn't lower significantly after this season...), I don't think it would be impossible to sign a big name free agent and convince Lidstrom to re-up for one last hurrah. Imagine if this was our D-corps, and overall team, next year (as fantastical as some of it may seem):

Zetterberg/Datsyuk/Cleary
Nyquist/Filppula/Franzen
Tatar/Helm/Abdelkader
Eaves/Emmerton/Mursak

Lidstrom Weber
Kronwall Kindl
White Smith
(Ericsson? Traded maybe? He needs to be better with his cap hit.)

*Obviously the wings have a chance to win a cup most years, but this team would be a serious odds on favorite in my opinion.

RedMachine87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 12:53 PM
Yemack

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingo View Post
No. Hawks can have him. You have my word.

Yemack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 01:14 PM
glenngineer

If anything they replace Lidstrom with Suter. If they sign Weber to an offer sheet Nashville matches. Plain and simple. Suter is the better fit for Detroit to be perfectly honest. If Nashville chooses Weber over Suter I'd be pretty ticked as a fan. Suter is the better overall player. Weber needs a PMD to be effective. Without one he's mortal.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 01:46 PM
Crymson
Fire Holland

Holland won't be offer-sheeting anyone.

Crymson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 01:50 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

We're not getting Weber.

Suter/Parise is possible is they hit the open market. If they do I think we're more likely to get Parise.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 02:31 PM
crashman

A Weber tread was started on the Blackhawks board just today. Everyone is pipe dreaming about Shea Weber and Ryan Suter.

crashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 03:30 PM
silkyjohnson50

Hoping for Suter personally.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 05:43 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRep TheWingedWheel View Post
We're not getting Weber.

Suter/Parise is possible is they hit the open market. If they do I think we're more likely to get Parise.
And with Suter, when's the last time the Predator's allowed a guy to hit open market when they had trade value? If Nashville believes they can't sign one of their guys, he's going to be moved before the deadline. So if we're really talking of getting Suter (or Weber), we may as well be talking about what we'll give up in a trade.

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 07:34 PM
Drunkspleen
Face of the company

I don't think Holland would touch an RFA, the only way he gets Weber this offseason is if he manages to get him by the deadline for a playoff push and then re-sign him afterwards.

Which frankly I don't think is such a bad idea but I'm not sure we have enough disposable assets to pull it off.

Drunkspleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 08:15 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
And with Suter, when's the last time the Predator's allowed a guy to hit open market when they had trade value? If Nashville believes they can't sign one of their guys, he's going to be moved before the deadline. So if we're really talking of getting Suter (or Weber), we may as well be talking about what we'll give up in a trade.
Which is why I said if he hits the open market. I don't think we'll get either in the end.

Parise will probably re-sign in NJ as well so we may end up **** outta luck.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote