HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RD Damon Severson (2012, 60th overall, New Jersey)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-20-2011, 10:29 AM
  #1
Mathletic
Registered User
 
Mathletic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: St-Augustin, Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,568
vCash: 500
RD Damon Severson (2012, 60th overall, New Jersey)

Wondering how he's looking. We often hear of Murray, Ebert, Dumba and so on. Where does Severson fit in the pack?


Last edited by Mathletic: 04-20-2012 at 02:48 PM.
Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 03:53 PM
  #2
Konk
Registered User
 
Konk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,050
vCash: 500
I noticed that he wasn't on Craig Button's top 30 or players to watch list. He also wasn't on ISS top 30 either.

Konk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 04:06 PM
  #3
Jamie Benn
NHL Draft Enthusiast
 
Jamie Benn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: At The Rink
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,855
vCash: 500
To be honest, Damon Severson is a good player, but there isn't something that really stands out in his game.

Big kid that's for sure, big stride and seems to have a really good slapshot. He is on the powerplay a lot playing the point. His skating is not that great. He for sure is a defenseman that logs plenty of minutes on the Kelowna lineup, good all around defender, but nothing stands out in his case. I do think that he has potential to be a late 2nd round pick.

Jamie Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 06:21 PM
  #4
Sore Loser
HF Partner
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Spokane, WA.
Country: United States
Posts: 6,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TourettesGuy View Post
To be honest, Damon Severson is a good player, but there isn't something that really stands out in his game.

Big kid that's for sure, big stride and seems to have a really good slapshot. He is on the powerplay a lot playing the point. His skating is not that great. He for sure is a defenseman that logs plenty of minutes on the Kelowna lineup, good all around defender, but nothing stands out in his case. I do think that he has potential to be a late 2nd round pick.
Pretty much hits it right on the head. He's a good player/prospect, should be an early/mid round pick. We have him in our top-10 from the WHL, but behind Murray, Dumba, Reinhart, Rielly, Pouliot, Bourke, Leipsic, and at least one or two others.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:39 PM
  #5
Jamie Benn
NHL Draft Enthusiast
 
Jamie Benn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: At The Rink
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
Pretty much hits it right on the head. He's a good player/prospect, should be an early/mid round pick. We have him in our top-10 from the WHL, but behind Murray, Dumba, Reinhart, Rielly, Pouliot, Bourke, Leipsic, and at least one or two others.
For sure.

Wow, Severson with 5 assists tonight in a 6-3 win versus Vancouver.

Unreal.


Last edited by Jamie Benn: 10-21-2011 at 12:40 PM.
Jamie Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:53 PM
  #6
DangerMan
@danlizee
 
DangerMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TourettesGuy View Post
For sure.

Wow, Severson with 5 assists tonight in a 6-3 win versus Kelowna.

Unreal.
Good sign for Severson. He's going to need to show off the offense in order to be considered in the first round. I don't know if he will be, but a good sign nonetheless.

DangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 01:13 AM
  #7
RonTugnutt
Kesler is washed up
 
RonTugnutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 475
vCash: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by TourettesGuy View Post
For sure.

Wow, Severson with 5 assists tonight in a 6-3 win versus Kelowna.

Unreal.
Severson looked VERY good tonight. Was all over the ice tonight moving the puck well. He has a rocket of a shot but he needs to get it on net, a little more control. Plays a real puck moving game, looks like a good solid defensive prospect.

RonTugnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 12:06 PM
  #8
R S
Renegade Stylings
 
R S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 25,309
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by TourettesGuy View Post
For sure.

Wow, Severson with 5 assists tonight in a 6-3 win versus Kelowna.

Unreal.
He plays for Kelowna

__________________
Scout based in Western Canada - find me on Twitter:

My full account
My Avs-only account
R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 12:40 PM
  #9
Jamie Benn
NHL Draft Enthusiast
 
Jamie Benn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: At The Rink
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
He plays for Kelowna
Oh, that's awkward, thanks for pointing that out.

Jamie Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 04:26 PM
  #10
Superpest
Undrafted Free Agent
 
Superpest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cascadia
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,501
vCash: 500
Saw him play last weekend. I was sure he was an overager or something, not a 17 year old.

He plays with maturity and has 12 points in 10 games. Great start to the year so far.

Superpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 04:32 PM
  #11
Mathletic
Registered User
 
Mathletic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: St-Augustin, Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,568
vCash: 500
cool, thanks people

btw, can you comment on fellow teammate Colton Sissons? I don't see too many people rating him high, yet he sounds like an interesting 2-way, hard-nosed player.

Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 04:34 PM
  #12
R S
Renegade Stylings
 
R S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 25,309
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
cool, thanks people

btw, can you comment on fellow teammate Colton Sissons? I don't see too many people rating him high, yet he sounds like an interesting 2-way, hard-nosed player.
He'll be in contention to possibly be the first WHL forward picked this summer. Big kid who can really skate, plays aggressive and has good hands.

Very underrated.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 04:38 PM
  #13
DangerMan
@danlizee
 
DangerMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
He'll be in contention to possibly be the first WHL forward picked this summer. Big kid who can really skate, plays aggressive and has good hands.

Very underrated.
I like Scissons as well, moulding into a prototypical power forward. It's no accident he was named captain this year. I have Bourke and Scissons neck and neck to be the first forward taken. I think NHL teams will lean towards Scissons with good reason.

DangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 04:43 PM
  #14
R S
Renegade Stylings
 
R S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 25,309
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMan View Post
I like Scissons as well, moulding into a prototypical power forward. It's no accident he was named captain this year. I have Bourke and Scissons neck and neck to be the first forward taken. I think NHL teams will lean towards Scissons with good reason.
Those are my top two, too.

I really like Bourke though, reminds me of Parise.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 05:18 PM
  #15
RonTugnutt
Kesler is washed up
 
RonTugnutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 475
vCash: 508
Sissons is good player as well. He is one of those guys that is always buzzing around, kills penalties and plays power play. Great combination of size and speed. Reminds me alot of Brandon McMillan at the same age, i would say McMillan was a better skater but Sissons is better skill wise.

RonTugnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 06:32 PM
  #16
Jamie Benn
NHL Draft Enthusiast
 
Jamie Benn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: At The Rink
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,855
vCash: 500
Here's my scouting report of a game versus Victoria of both Sissons and Severson.

Sissons -
Wearing the C this game, Sissons showed why he is a leader, easily one of the top players on the ice, not only setting the tone with crushing hits, but chipping in offensively. Great work ethic to go along with plenty of other tangibles including winning all of the board battles, and battling in front of the net whenever needed to be. On the powerplay, he did a bit of everything, setting up his defenseman and grinding in front of the net, which led him to a goal on the night. I could definetly see Colton going in the second round of this draft, with a role as a top six player with solid leadership skills.

Severson -
Safe, safe, defenseman. Showed plenty of poise and didn't make one mistake the entire game. Was solid at everything, but not exceptional at anything. One thing I would like to see more of him is to use his size to his advantage, his speed is definitely a factor on why he isn't being thrown in with the other big group of five defenseman in the WHL. He logged plenty of minutes and played in all situations, his slapshot is above average from the point. He definitely has potential to be a second to third round selection, with potential to be first rounder if he works on some little things.

Jamie Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 12:21 PM
  #17
Sore Loser
HF Partner
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Spokane, WA.
Country: United States
Posts: 6,493
vCash: 500
I'm pretty high on Sissons, but I'm a touch higher on Bourke - we were unanimous that Bourke is our top forward from the WHL for this year's draft. Sissons is right up there though, along with Brendan Leipsic.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 12:25 PM
  #18
arsmaster
semantic romantic
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 24,279
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TourettesGuy View Post
To be honest, Damon Severson is a good player, but there isn't something that really stands out in his game.

Big kid that's for sure, big stride and seems to have a really good slapshot. He is on the powerplay a lot playing the point. His skating is not that great. He for sure is a defenseman that logs plenty of minutes on the Kelowna lineup, good all around defender, but nothing stands out in his case. I do think that he has potential to be a late 2nd round pick.
Anyone remember following the 2003 draft?

The comments here are absolutely staggering how much they compare to Shea Weber's pre-draft scouting reports, not to mention the Kelowna connection.

NOt saying...just saying.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 12:36 PM
  #19
DangerMan
@danlizee
 
DangerMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
I'm pretty high on Sissons, but I'm a touch higher on Bourke - we were unanimous that Bourke is our top forward from the WHL for this year's draft. Sissons is right up there though, along with Brendan Leipsic.
Scissons has closed the gap on Bourke, just because of his style of game. I think it will come down to preference on who gets drafted first. Leipsic is a slick looking player, but he is so tiny. Leipsic is going to have to be head and shoulders better in order to be considered before the other two.

DangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 08:56 PM
  #20
Hyped
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Tombstone
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,568
vCash: 500
Is he Cam Severson's younger brother?

Hyped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 12:44 AM
  #21
Sore Loser
HF Partner
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Spokane, WA.
Country: United States
Posts: 6,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMan View Post
Scissons has closed the gap on Bourke, just because of his style of game. I think it will come down to preference on who gets drafted first. Leipsic is a slick looking player, but he is so tiny. Leipsic is going to have to be head and shoulders better in order to be considered before the other two.
Definitely.

Leipsic has a pretty dynamic skillset, but got buried at times in that Portland lineup. I love his compete level and style of play, but I certainly have my question marks about his game transferring to the next level. That being said, this is the kind of kid every coach loves to have on their team.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 02:15 PM
  #22
Hinkil42
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post
I noticed that he wasn't on Craig Button's top 30 or players to watch list. He also wasn't on ISS top 30 either.
Severson is now hovering around 28-30 on Button's list

Hinkil42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 03:10 PM
  #23
R S
Renegade Stylings
 
R S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 25,309
vCash: 1000
I like Severson. Total package of a defenceman. Tough to see him battling injury right now. Hasn't played since December 13th and you have to imagine that's hurting his stock big time.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 03:19 PM
  #24
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke
 
bluesfan94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St. Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 12,561
vCash: 500
How has Severson looked this season? I don't know much about him.

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:45 AM
  #25
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,246
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
The comments here are absolutely staggering how much they compare to Shea Weber's pre-draft scouting reports, not to mention the Kelowna connection.

NOt saying...just saying.
Funny you should say that, because there are two players in particular Severson tries to model his game after:

Quote:
“Ex-Rockets Shea Weber and Duncan Keith,” said Severson, slotted 32nd in Future Considerations ranking for March. “Weber’s got a big body presence and he likes to hit. I try to play as much as him as possible.”
http://futureconsiderations.ca/sever...-with-rockets/

__________________
Get your copy of FC's 2015 NHL Draft Guide now!
Aaron Vickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:36 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.