HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Taking a hit

Old
10-28-2011, 05:16 PM
AndreD

vCash: 500
Taking a hit

Tomorow I play my first full hitting game of Ice Hockey. I haven't been playing for all that long (I started when I went to University) and have no experience of really being checked. Its a university hockey league so some of these guys have been playing their whole lives and I am a lot smaller than all of them, 5'7 120ish pounds.

Is there any advice anyone can give about how to not get hurt when being hit?

I asked the captain and we did a few drills on it in the last training session but it was all pretty low speed and didn't really talk about safety much

AndreD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 06:19 PM
Johnny Canucker

Take the hit, dont turn your back, thats what most people do in the begining, and its the easiest way to get hurt. Just absorb it. Also, keep your head up, and know the danger zones (3 to 5 feet from the boards). Its better to be right up against the boards than fishing a puck 3 feet from them

Johnny Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 06:33 PM
vapor11

^ What he said.. I don't know how competitive uni hockey is in the UK but around here you would get killed at that size..especially if you have not played contact before

Start eating more and working out.. use your speed and awareness to protect yourself and avoid contact

vapor11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 11:24 PM
Malreg

Always try to keep a low center of gravity. Bend your knees and get low, and lean into the other player as they try to hit you. When you're close to the boards, put yourself right up against the boards as it will absorb the impact. Never turn your back.

Malreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 08:52 AM
Marotte Marauder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malreg View Post
Always try to keep a low center of gravity. Bend your knees and get low, and lean into the other player as they try to hit you. When you're close to the boards, put yourself right up against the boards as it will absorb the impact. Never turn your back.
...and keep your feet MOVING, might even avoid the check that way.

Marotte Marauder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 09:34 AM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
If they player is looking like he's going to try and cut you off with a hit, just stop quickly.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 12:09 PM
Stickmata

Keep your head up, everywhere, all the time. Don't turn your back to open ice when you're near the boards.

Am I the only one that thinks it's a little crazy to be playing full check for the first time when you're over 18?

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 01:15 PM
AndreD

Thanks for everything above and stickmata I agree its crazy but I enjoy it so why not. The exposure to hockey is very small here, its not something I ever saw whilst growing up so never had an opportunity to be part of until now. Playing for the university as opposed to the rec team I was on earlier this team also feels great.

AndreD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 11:13 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

It's hard to explain, but the best move is to take the hit and roll over. I really can't explain it with words lol.

bcv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 11:54 PM
shawn1331

Well, being small( I am too but I'm a bit smaller and younger) I try NOT to get hit or hit hard anyways. If you've already made the play and its a late hit coming do your best to avoid getting hit. If the hit is unavoidable get lower and have a shoulder width stance. Lean forward and try to protect the puck.

shawn1331 is offline   Reply With Quote