HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Why was Schenn sent down?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-20-2011, 11:31 AM
  #1
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 7,873
vCash: 500
Why was Schenn sent down?

Can someone please let me know why Schen was sent down? He is one of the top prospects in the game, he's already 20 years old and he seems like he's dominant in the AHL with 8 points in 4 games.

Also, do you expect that Read and Couturier will stick in the NHL without having to go back to minors again?

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:34 AM
  #2
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,273
vCash: 156
Cap issues.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:35 AM
  #3
OriginJM
watch out im smart
 
OriginJM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Can someone please let me know why Schen was sent down? He is one of the top prospects in the game, he's already 20 years old and he seems like he's dominant in the AHL with 8 points in 4 games.

Also, do you expect that Read and Couturier will stick in the NHL without having to go back to minors again?
Him being sent down cut his NHL cap hit in half, by over a million.

I expect Read and Couturier to be in the NHL the entire season, and it looks like the Flyers feel the same way.

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:36 AM
  #4
Norm MacDonald
Registered User
 
Norm MacDonald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 4,245
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Can someone please let me know why Schen was sent down? He is one of the top prospects in the game, he's already 20 years old and he seems like he's dominant in the AHL with 8 points in 4 games.

Also, do you expect that Read and Couturier will stick in the NHL without having to go back to minors again?
Other players were better in training camp, and he got injured.

Norm MacDonald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:49 AM
  #5
thelos
Bunk
 
thelos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,610
vCash: 500
Cap hit, Shelley suspension, conditioning for minor injury

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:54 AM
  #6
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,284
vCash: 500
Ya its a combination. Seems like the Shelly suspension was also a factor, for when Shelly wasnt suspended anymore, Schenn is called up. Him playing in the AHL also decreased his caphit by alot. He also hurt his shoulder.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:57 AM
  #7
DickTony
Registered User
 
DickTony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: West Chester, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,024
vCash: 500
His contract had a clause stating that he would receive 3 million this year if he was to play in all 82 games this season. With Shelley's suspension, this was impossible to fit under the cap at the beginning of the year. Since he started off the year in the AHL, his cap hit is now somewhere around 1.6 million, which is clearly more manageable.

Read is leading all rookies in scoring and has looked great thus far. Couturier has been one of our strongest defensive forwards, killing penalties and playing during most key defensive segments. Barring a major fall off from either one, they should be here to stay, especially Couturier, who is not eligible for the AHL this season.

DickTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 01:49 PM
  #8
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 7,873
vCash: 500
Thanks for the answers. I was curious what happened. I thought he'd be a shoe-in.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 01:55 PM
  #9
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,204
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Wells Fargo Center was built on an indian burial ground...

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 01:59 PM
  #10
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,230
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DickTony View Post
His contract had a clause stating that he would receive 3 million this year if he was to play in all 82 games this season. With Shelley's suspension, this was impossible to fit under the cap at the beginning of the year. Since he started off the year in the AHL, his cap hit is now somewhere around 1.6 million, which is clearly more manageable.

Read is leading all rookies in scoring and has looked great thus far. Couturier has been one of our strongest defensive forwards, killing penalties and playing during most key defensive segments. Barring a major fall off from either one, they should be here to stay, especially Couturier, who is not eligible for the AHL this season.
Couts also leads all rookies in special teams ice time I believe...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 03:51 PM
  #11
Larry44
FlyersTankNation
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Thanks for the answers. I was curious what happened. I thought he'd be a shoe-in.
He was until the shoulder injury, but he would've been sent down for at least a game anyway for the cap reduction. It gave them a chance to see more of Couturier, and they likee..

Given the great starts of new blood like Couts, Read, Simmonds, Voracek Bryzgalov and Jagr (and Rinaldo and Harry Z too), it makes sense now to bring up Schenn and further improve the roster.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:36 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.