HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Why was Schenn sent down?

Old
10-20-2011, 11:31 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
Why was Schenn sent down?

Can someone please let me know why Schen was sent down? He is one of the top prospects in the game, he's already 20 years old and he seems like he's dominant in the AHL with 8 points in 4 games.

Also, do you expect that Read and Couturier will stick in the NHL without having to go back to minors again?

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:34 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Cap issues.

10-20-2011, 11:35 AM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Can someone please let me know why Schen was sent down? He is one of the top prospects in the game, he's already 20 years old and he seems like he's dominant in the AHL with 8 points in 4 games.

Also, do you expect that Read and Couturier will stick in the NHL without having to go back to minors again?
Him being sent down cut his NHL cap hit in half, by over a million.

I expect Read and Couturier to be in the NHL the entire season, and it looks like the Flyers feel the same way.

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:36 AM
Norm MacDonald

Quote:

Other players were better in training camp, and he got injured.

Norm MacDonald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:49 AM
thelos
Bunk

Cap hit, Shelley suspension, conditioning for minor injury

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:54 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Ya its a combination. Seems like the Shelly suspension was also a factor, for when Shelly wasnt suspended anymore, Schenn is called up. Him playing in the AHL also decreased his caphit by alot. He also hurt his shoulder.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:57 AM
DickTony

His contract had a clause stating that he would receive 3 million this year if he was to play in all 82 games this season. With Shelley's suspension, this was impossible to fit under the cap at the beginning of the year. Since he started off the year in the AHL, his cap hit is now somewhere around 1.6 million, which is clearly more manageable.

Read is leading all rookies in scoring and has looked great thus far. Couturier has been one of our strongest defensive forwards, killing penalties and playing during most key defensive segments. Barring a major fall off from either one, they should be here to stay, especially Couturier, who is not eligible for the AHL this season.

DickTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 01:49 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Thanks for the answers. I was curious what happened. I thought he'd be a shoe-in.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 01:55 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Wells Fargo Center was built on an indian burial ground...

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 01:59 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickTony View Post
His contract had a clause stating that he would receive 3 million this year if he was to play in all 82 games this season. With Shelley's suspension, this was impossible to fit under the cap at the beginning of the year. Since he started off the year in the AHL, his cap hit is now somewhere around 1.6 million, which is clearly more manageable.

Read is leading all rookies in scoring and has looked great thus far. Couturier has been one of our strongest defensive forwards, killing penalties and playing during most key defensive segments. Barring a major fall off from either one, they should be here to stay, especially Couturier, who is not eligible for the AHL this season.
Couts also leads all rookies in special teams ice time I believe...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 03:51 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Thanks for the answers. I was curious what happened. I thought he'd be a shoe-in.
He was until the shoulder injury, but he would've been sent down for at least a game anyway for the cap reduction. It gave them a chance to see more of Couturier, and they likee..

Given the great starts of new blood like Couts, Read, Simmonds, Voracek Bryzgalov and Jagr (and Rinaldo and Harry Z too), it makes sense now to bring up Schenn and further improve the roster.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote