HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

With Adam's emergence be happy with the center situation. Its what we've wanted.

Old
10-31-2011, 02:38 PM
Crazy Tasty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Understandable.

But I look at it this way.

-Did anyone see Adam coming in putting up 3g 6a 9pts in 10gms centering the top line?
-Did anyone think they would feel comfortable with the idea of Adam as a solid backup plan on the top line if Leino doesnt work out?

I don't think its a stretch to say this move is primarily about Leino and not Adam's play. Which is another surprise, since most thought Adam would play his way off that line.

I guess I'm just excited that we have another top 6 forward with size that goes to the net and is good playing in traffic.
Oh, I agree with that... I just don't want them to be in the similar situation they've been in since 23/48... a plethora of top 6 talent, lacking top 6 centers...

Roy coming back around will help some of that, an emergence of Leino or continuation of Adam 's success may also help...

I'm still not sold on the center depth, in regards to playoff success for this years roster.

Crazy Tasty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 03:31 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
It's not like this team hasn't broken guys in playing some wing and some center. In Ruff's tenure, they've used a number of younger players on the wing before putting them in the middle full time. Heck, even longer if one goes back far enough. It's not new and it probably won't damage Adam's development. It's on him to keep going -- just another little hurdle along the way.

Also, it opens them up a little to let Roy slide to LW if his shoulder is bothering him still (though it seems to be better now).

10-31-2011, 06:51 PM
sabrenewf

I have to say I love what this rookie ;I repeat rookie has brought . This kid is just 21 and will be one of our very best and very soon. What is more concerning is the fact that we are already asking questions about Leino! I

sabrenewf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 11:01 AM
LFDM

I remember Roy playing winger for Drury's line early in his career. Albeit different players, I think the situation is comparable.

So, don't worry I guess - longterm Adam will stick at C.

LFDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 01:09 PM
ceky

vCash: 50
imho, one thing is to judge if adam can contribute to the top-6 for this season (and playoffs). who knows? when some minor injuries come up, he will tire... etc. I think he could do it, which would be immensely helful come playoff time.

the other thing: who could see 1 year ago that adam has this potential? this is great news for the organisation in the next years. if adam can be groomed to the physical 2nd line 2 way center who can score like he did until now...
i know i'm leaning out of the window here but i could even see him become a great number 1 center in 4-5 years, he definitely seems to have the work ethic and mentality to become great.

ceky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 09:10 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Tasty View Post
Oh, I agree with that... I just don't want them to be in the similar situation they've been in since 23/48... a plethora of top 6 talent, lacking top 6 centers...

Roy coming back around will help some of that, an emergence of Leino or continuation of Adam 's success may also help...

I'm still not sold on the center depth, in regards to playoff success for this years roster.
I'll try one last time to make you feel better about our center situation, even looking forward to the playoffs

Last year going into the playoffs we had Boyes/Connolly as our top two centers. We ended the playoffs with Goose/Nieds as our top 2 duie to Boyes struggling and Connolly getting injured. Barring injuries we will have Roy, Adam, Leino and, if he gets healthy, Hecht as options. Leino has a ways to go but he also has plenty of time.

I've always felt the center situation is overblown on this board. We had problems last year because our two best options at center (Roy/Hecht) were out injured. We also had 2 of our top 4 dmen (Leopold/Sekera) either out most of the series or playing banged up. Even with that we battled the Flyers fairly even until Pommer went down then Connolly. After that our PK struggled badly and that tilted the series.

Last edited by joshjull: 11-02-2011 at 09:15 AM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 12:46 PM
Crazy Tasty

Quote:
I'll try one last time to make you feel better about our center situation, even looking forward to the playoffs

Last year going into the playoffs we had Boyes/Connolly as our top two centers. We ended the playoffs with Goose/Nieds as our top 2 duie to Boyes struggling and Connolly getting injured. Barring injuries we will have Roy, Adam, Leino and, if he gets healthy, Hecht as options. Leino has a ways to go but he also has plenty of time..
I didn't feel good about last years center position all year...

Quote:
I've always felt the center situation is overblown on this board. We had problems last year because our two best options at center (Roy/Hecht) were out injured. We also had 2 of our top 4 dmen (Leopold/Sekera) either out most of the series or playing banged up. Even with that we battled the Flyers fairly even until Pommer went down then Connolly. After that our PK struggled badly and that tilted the series.
I know, Josh. I'm not trying to be overly pessimistic, I was one of those that thought after 23/48 left, that Roy and Tin Man were going to evolve into a similar 1-2 punch down the middle.
I've been disappointed for years now... lol.

I just dont think you have a great chance at the big prize without 2 bonafide centers.

imo Adam has the tools to be one (probably 2 or 3 years from now).
Roy has proven he is, but this year has been el sucko.

Crazy Tasty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 12:51 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mergus merganser View Post
So yeah, no chance Adam ends up on the wing. God forbid I question which position he projects to in the NHL. Clearly there is NO question.

Oh wait, just 10a games in they have already moved him to the wing.
Not yet

Ruff likes Adam at center and wanted to keep him there even at the expense of breaking up other lines. Adam centered Gerbe/Stafford coming into the Flyers game then went back between Vanek/Pommer.

Adam may or may not play wing at some point this season but he hasn't yet and its fairly obvious Ruff likes/wants him at center.

Last edited by joshjull: 11-04-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Old
11-04-2011, 01:57 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres57 View Post
That's it for me. Five games is too small a sample to judge anyone. I love what Adam has done so far, but he needs to keep doing it for me to believe it's real. If it is, the Sabres are golden.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
Adam hitting a wall, losing confidence, etc etc... Isn't out of the realm of possibility, he's a rooke.

And IMHO Leino just isn't a top-6 center (top-6 winger, yes, but not center).

And if that happens, we're back where we were last season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor View Post
Same here. If Adam is the first line center we've been looking for to pair with Pommer/Vanek, then our C issues are over.

I'm just not sure after 5 games if Adam is "Big-first-line-C".
Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
If Adam's not a #1 center, than he's not what "we've been waiting for," IMO. I'm not positive the kid will stick in the NHL all year - if he gets removed from that top line, I have no assurance he'll produce with anyone else, and if he doesn't produce, I have no assurance he'll play well enough in all other facets of the game to get more than a handful of minutes or get sent back down. I'm only marginally more assured about our center situation right now than I was last May. Adam is still very much a wild card, and Leino is showing disappointing first returns. I'm not buying that we're set. Maybe if enough goes right, I'll be sold by the end of the year, but I don't think it's likely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
Adam certainly has looked solid so far...but I want to wait for a larger sample size before really being comfortable with him at center (i.e. can he keep it up long-term?). Also want to see the faceoff numbers improve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag DP View Post
I like what I've seen so far. But, if it's too early to call someone a bust (like some have been doing in the other threads), it's also too early to call someone a success. Adam could regress, and Leino could still not pan out at center, and we'd still be in the same position as last year. I don't really expect both of those things will happen, but it's still quite possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan-of-#9 View Post
The way Ruff handles young players is absolute GENIUS. I've said it before, that might be his very best attribute as coach.

He knows how to trust his young players and allow them to flourish. But at the same time, he knows when tough love is required. I just love it.
You may want to ask Mike Weber how he thinks he's being handled at the moment after proving himself over a longer period than Gragnani did last year....

Quote:
Adam may or may not play wing at some point this season but he hasn't yet and its fairly obvious Ruff likes/wants him at center.
When he was quoted in April, Ruff voiced concerns about Adam's skating, suggesting that his size may be better suited for wing. Obviously, Adam's offseason work to improve his skating has removed those doubts for Ruff and allowed him to trust Adam in his natural position.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 02:15 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post

You may want to ask Mike Weber how he thinks he's being handled at the moment after proving himself over a longer period than Gragnani did last year....

When he was quoted in April, Ruff voiced concerns about Adam's skating, suggesting that his size may be better suited for wing. Obviously, Adam's offseason work to improve his skating has removed those doubts for Ruff and allowed him to trust Adam in his natural position.
Ruff was quoted in April the AHL playoffs that he sees Adam as a #1 or 2 center that can bring a big body presence and two way play. Since that time thats been the overriding theme from Ruff in regards to Adam.

Some posters (not saying you) almost seem afraid to accept that we have a young (21yr old), talented offensive center with size and lots of potential on our team. As if he will disappear if he is embraced. So much so that some (again not saying you) grasp at anything to dismiss the idea that he is a center. Things like his need to work on his defensive game. A normal issue for young offensive centers (defensive work at the NHL level). One thats sometimes remedied by playing the wing for a bit. Which if Adam is ever put there would set the doubters into a dizzy.

Last edited by joshjull: 11-04-2011 at 02:24 PM.