HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Kabanov's At It Again

Old
10-12-2011, 07:00 PM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
Kabanov's At It Again

...sort of. Kabanov spoke to Sports.ru, wondering aloud if he made the right choice in coming to North America to pursue the National Hockey League.

Quote:
As a 17-year-old entering his draft year, Kirill Kabanov had one dream: to play in the National Hockey League.

Two years, three major junior teams, several agents and a half-dozen controversies later, Kabanov is singing a different tune about his decision to come to North America.
http://futureconsiderations.ca/kaban...areer-choices/

Is he just frustrated he hasn't found a place to play this year? The Armada hold his rights, but currently have two imports taking up any potential roster spot Kabanov can fill, though that could already be resolved in a number of ways. One of the imports is rumoured to be stepping away from hockey due to injury. Another rumour is floating about suggesting Kabanov has found a home in Sweden to play.

What do you make of Kabanov's comments? What more could Kabanov do to surprise you at this point?

Last edited by Aaron Vickers: 10-12-2011 at 10:12 PM.
Aaron Vickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 07:12 PM
Kershaw

Headcase, it seems he'll never learn.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 07:13 PM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Here's the story bluechipbonzo is referring to on LHH:

http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2011...a-2011-12-home

Old
10-12-2011, 07:15 PM
Andros777

If he keeps this up he'll be delivering pizzas in five years rather than playing hockey.

EDIT: Seems like that's an overreaction.

Andros777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 07:16 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Yeah, Aaron is not a troll.

If anything, Lighthouse Hockey is trying to make the situation look like it's all just peachy. This is far from the real case. This is a guy who has shown a lack of maturity since anyone can remember. He won't be taken back by the KHL. His Q team doesn't want him. It's not like this is some guy caught up in a problem. He's created all these problems himself. Everything is his fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros777 View Post
If he keeps this up he'll be delivering pizzas in five years rather than playing hockey.
I highly doubt Kabanov ever becomes a successful NHL player. I don't see the drive or the mental fortitude in him at all. I don't know how anyone could see it the other way, either.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 10-12-2011 at 07:17 PM. Reason: deleted quoted post
EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 07:16 PM
StrongIslanders90

Hes showing maturity...He thought he was going to come here and be a star...Now he knows it takes hard work and dedication to get there...

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 07:20 PM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

On Kabanov's end, he isn't suggesting he hates the Islanders or anything on that front. Everything I've seen and read points to Kabanov desperately wanting to be an Islander.

The way I interpret it is that he's frustrated with the way he's developed. He's done all these things to get to the NHL and he still isn't there yet. He's endured a lot in chasing his dream to get to the NHL.

What I find puzzling through the whole thing is another one of his quotes from Sports.ru:

Quote:
“Perhaps I made a mistake that I didn’t stay [in the KHL] and went [to North America] hoping I’d be the number one pick,” Kabanov said.

Old
10-12-2011, 07:31 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Vickers View Post
On Kabanov's end, he isn't suggesting he hates the Islanders or anything on that front. Everything I've seen and read points to Kabanov desperately wanting to be an Islander.

The way I interpret it is that he's frustrated with the way he's developed. He's done all these things to get to the NHL and he still isn't there yet. He's endured a lot in chasing his dream to get to the NHL.

What I find puzzling through the whole thing is another one of his quotes from Sports.ru:
Would that be number 1 overall or 1st rounder? Is that translation that accurate?

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
His Q team doesn't want him.
Well that's not true. Joel Bouchard has said they have been negotiating with his agents. Kabanov would be a top-5 forward in the Q if he came back. He is worth A LOT in a trade. Why wouldn't the Armada want him back? He'd also put even more people in the seats. Kabanov would be a dream come true for a first year team like the Armada.

Hertzberg has been shut down by the team doctor because of concussions issues and Nikolaev is just not that good. The Armada would release one or the other has soon as they get confirmation KK would come back.

But it seems he doesn't want to come back. Honestly I don't know what is taking so long. Euro and junior team start their season in early September. He is a month late. Pick a team and play dude.

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 07:39 PM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
Would that be number 1 overall or 1st rounder? Is that translation that accurate?
Translation comes from Dmitry Chesnokov (www.twitter.com/dchesnokov), a noted Russian-American hockey analyst who I believe also just picked up a gig at TSN (though I might be mistaken on that front). I would imagine his translation is as flawless as we'd find, but since I can't speak Russian, can't say first hand.

Old
10-12-2011, 08:14 PM
JacketsFanWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post

Hertzberg has been shut down by the team doctor because of concussions issues and Nikolaev is just not that good. The Armada would release one or the other has soon as they get confirmation KK would come back.
Viktor Hertzberg tweeted that he's taking a break from hockey for health reasons:

http://twitter.com/#!/hertzberg27

So, the Armada now only have 1 import player. Strange timing.

JacketsFanWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 08:19 PM
SPORTSMANIAC

Send a message via AIM to SPORTSMANIAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
Well that's not true. Joel Bouchard has said they have been negotiating with his agents. Kabanov would be a top-5 forward in the Q if he came back. He is worth A LOT in a trade. Why wouldn't the Armada want him back? He'd also put even more people in the seats. Kabanov would be a dream come true for a first year team like the Armada.

But it seems he doesn't want to come back. Honestly I don't know what is taking so long. Euro and junior team start their season in early September. He is a month late. Pick a team and play dude.
I am surprised the Armada didn't move him in the off-season because they aren't going to be contenders this year and like you said he can bring a decent return. You have to think they are trying to move him right now so he can play.

It's not Kabanov's fault that the Armada have two imports

SPORTSMANIAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 08:27 PM
JoeLH

What's the problem about a young player reflecting about the past? Everyone knows what happened with him over the last two years and it indeed might went better for him, if i had stayed in Russia.

He had a good camp obviously and if he has a good year in Sweden, he might make the Isles next year.

JoeLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 08:38 PM
Halpysback

How dare he state that he was wrong about the way he perceived things as a young kid brainwashed by his father. I can't believe he had the gall to admit that the NHL rinks aren't paved with gold as he thought when throwing everything he had in Russia away. We should stab him because he's not canadian. Or something.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 08:41 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

vCash: 50
I don't think it's about having no roster spot for him on BLB. I think it's more about Kabanov not wanting to play there and/or asking more 'incentives' to report...

SergeConstantin74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 08:43 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLH View Post
What's the problem about a young player reflecting about the past? Everyone knows what happened with him over the last two years and it indeed might went better for him, if i had stayed in Russia.

He had a good camp obviously and if he has a good year in Sweden, he might make the Isles next year.
He fell to third round be cause he gave up on his team in the playoffs 2 months before his draft...

He already had character issues not helping him in the eyes of NHL scouts, leaving Moncton was the trigger.

It sounds like a kid not wanting to take responsability for his mistakes.

Old
10-12-2011, 08:51 PM
rushockey

Send a message via Skype™ to rushockey
He didn't say one bad word about the NHL. This interview was more an apology to the Russian fans, Salavat's and KHL management. Nothing to blame Kabanov, Aaron is stirring something that is not there.

rushockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 08:58 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushockey View Post
He didn't say one bad word about the NHL. This interview was more an apology to the Russian fans, Salavat's and KHL management. Nothing to blame Kabanov, Aaron is stirring something that is not there.
He should take the blame for not becoming the star he should have been but he doesn't. That's the way I see it.

Old
10-12-2011, 09:09 PM
rushockey

Send a message via Skype™ to rushockey
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
He should take the blame for not becoming the star he should have been but he doesn't. That's the way I see it.
Sure, but what does it have to do with the TS saying that Kabanov is "at it again"?

rushockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
It's getting blown out of proportions here. Honestly I'm just waiting for him to make a decision. I believe Bouchard is trying everything he can to lure him to Boisbriand.

Hertzberg will not be back so we do have space for Kabanov if he wants to play for us. If he wants to be traded then we can definitely arrenge something as well.

Something needs to be done as soon as possible... kid needs to play. He's not gonna sit out the whole season while waiting for his shot at the NHL next year is he?

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 09:11 PM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Headcase, it seems he'll never learn.
As a Rangers fan you should hope he never learns.

Milan the God* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 09:13 PM
JoeLH

He is 19 years old and still can be every bit the star he once was supposed to be. Kabanov has his reputation right now and a lot of people just think bad about him automatically without knowing the facts.

JoeLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 09:41 PM
Macch

The story is being blown out of proportion and taken out of context... http://www.islanderspointblank.com/

Macch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 09:49 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

Maybe I misinterpreted but I think he's saying it's not paradise here, it's not smooth sailing in the NHL. You have to work. At least he realizes that now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macch View Post
The story is being blown out of proportion and taken out of context... http://www.islanderspointblank.com/
Adds to my point^

King In The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 09:58 PM
Blue Dot
F0rsbergFan21

Quote:
bingo!

the people throwing the kid under the bus in this thread is laughable. people just fast to react so they can later say "i called that one" or brag about being right about him.

kids gonna be fine and a solid nhl player in the near future.

Blue Dot is offline   Reply With Quote