HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Hugh Jessiman stays at Dartmouth

Closed Thread

Old
09-02-2004, 02:23 PM
puck swami

vCash: 500
Hugh Jessiman stays at Dartmouth

Updated news from US College Hockey on ranger prospect Hugh Jessiman:
http://www.uscho.com/news/2004/09/02_008640.php

Old
09-02-2004, 02:41 PM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
I know people are going to be miffed about this and say it's a waste of a year but this is good news. He's taking the John Leclaire path of development rather than the Marty Reasoner way.

Old
09-02-2004, 05:32 PM
JJ24

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1982
I know people are going to be miffed about this and say it's a waste of a year but this is good news. He's taking the John Leclaire path of development rather than the Marty Reasoner way.
This makes no sense. Reasoner played three years at BC and Jessiman is going into his third, and probably last, season at Dartmouth. Yes he needs work on defense, but he'll never be like Reasoner, so terrible on D that his offensive talent stays benched.

Old
09-02-2004, 09:21 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
I like the LeClair comparison... definitely see some similarities. When I've seen him play at Dartmouth, he completely governs the ice. Picks and chooses his spots, whips around the rink and takes the puck whenever he decides to.

I see a lot of Joe Thornton in him, and he just dominates games. On that alone, I'd say he's gonna be huge.

BUT, he needs to prove once and for all he can put up big numbers like the franchise player he's supposed to be.

His freshman year was a big success all-around. He did great while identifying his weaknesses. It was an orientation year in which he wasn't expected to do as well as he did.

Last season he had to adapt to headhunting, because he was considered a big threat. He also tried to focus on strengthening his D.

He is not at all cocky. He knows he weaknesses damn well, and he knows hockey damn well. He has a great attitude about improving his skills, and that's a good sign.

What I saw last year was a hulking power forward with superb positioning and passing skills. He made plays so eloquently, was strong in front of the net. Scored both Holik-goals and outmaneuvering, long-range goals. He was also pretty quick too. I also saw him fall flat on the ice at times, and he showed inexperience and poor judgment on defense.

This season will be his chance to put up the big numbers. He's fully settled into the college game now. If he doesn't hit it big this year, it's time to worry. That could be the loss of a franchise forward. Unless he stays for a senior year...

Old
09-02-2004, 10:12 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Boo, this sucks I was hoping Jessiman would leave Dartmouth which would open up a roster spot for J T Wyman hopefully, since he's a RW and Dartmouth has almost a full team returning. Anyways, I'll be on the hunt for Dartmouth games on tape, so if any rangers fans happen to come across any, stop by the Habs board, or if I get any tapes I'll post here to see if anyones interested in seeing Jessiman.

Old
09-03-2004, 03:05 AM
Ocelot

I think it was a good move on hsi part.

Old
09-03-2004, 03:51 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
I agree. I'm a big fan of what college can do for a players

maturity level which helps a great deal in determining the type of player they will become at the NHL level.

I also like the fact that they practice more than they play and get to work on their deficiencies mreo than they would at the AHL level.

And Jessiman has alot to work on defensively.

This is a big year for Hugh, last year he had to adjust to the double coverage he was probably not ready for. Now that he know's what it's like he will have to work that much harder at creating room for himself.

A good decision.

Old
09-03-2004, 04:45 AM
Edge

I also tend to think that this is a telltale year for him.

If he can't dominate this year than suffice to say I'm not sure he's gonna make it as the player the Rangers hoped.

Closed Thread