HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Jon Merrill

Old
10-20-2011, 07:02 PM
ZadorovNJD*
go away fatso

vCash: 500
Yeah, if Lou hasn't shipped out that knucklehead Corrente, Merrill will at least get a chance in our system. I didn't know the suspension was 12 games, that is a huge chunk of the college schedule. He must have done something pretty stupid. Maybe all those Rangers fans that were screaming "zomg polo shirt!" on draft day were on to something.

ZadorovNJD* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 07:07 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
I'm amazed that what he did still hasn't leaked.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 07:08 PM
battlingBard56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
I respectfully disagree.

Life is often unfair. Every time it is (and I have no idea whether or not his suspension was warranted; frankly it is immaterial, as his coach felt it was), one cannot simply cower, turn tail and leave. That's so ****ing immature and irresponsible.

What happens first time Merril gets benched in NJ (assuming he makes it to the NHL)? Pout and ask for a trade?

Character matters. No shortcuts.

And for Christ's sake, respect authority. A coach is not always correct. But he is your coach. And a hockey team is not a democracy.

Again, nothing personal, just disagree with the sentiment of entitlement. A couple of weeks ago Lou said words to the effect that he talked with JM and the player understood that his actions were wrong and he understood why he was suspended. Now this?

Weak.
I agree. Merrill needs to learn to accept the consequences of his actions. Gotta grow up sometime, especially when you're working towards becoming a pro hockey player in the Devils organization. Like you said, what happens if/when the Devils hit a rough patch or Merrill misses a team meeting? Is he going to ask for a trade if he's suspended by the team?

I know actually getting playing time during a crucial time in his development probably factors into the speculation going on about him possibly playing in juniors, but character does matter a ton. Either he needs to show he has it, or he needs to build it and fast.

battlingBard56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 07:10 PM
Thunderfest
The Wumpus

Merrill is at a juncture in his young pre-career where he needs to show some character. Manning up and humbly honoring his punishment is the best route for him to go. Sure, he'd play more in Plymouth, but he can make a positive statement by sticking with Michigan. I really hope this kid isn't as big a knucklehead as he seems.

Thunderfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 07:15 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyincognito View Post
No, I mean, it's possible he gets blackballed by Lou if he leaves. Depending on what he did.
Gotcha.

Very few things annoy me.

But quitters and those who will not own up to their responsibilities and actions (big and small) are at the top of my list of contemptable targets.

Hope this report does not come to pass. Will leave it at that for now, until further word is received.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 07:18 PM
dream catcher

Quote:
Gotcha.

Few things annoy me.

But quitters and those who will not own up to their responsibilities and actions (big and small) are at the top of my list of contemptable targets.

Hope this report does not come to pass. Will leave it at that for now, until further word is received.
You would be a good motivational speaker and/or Psychiatrist. Almost all of your posts I've seen have a life lesson in there somewhere

dream catcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 07:20 PM
JimEIV

He just needs to come live with me for a couple months...I'll teach him everything he needs to know to fake out society into believing he is an upright citizen.

JimEIV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 07:21 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
I'm amazed that what he did still hasn't leaked.
He's small potatoes. I imagine eventually it will though, and it 100% will if he ever makes the NHL (big potatoes).

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 07:21 PM
Csonked Out

Quote:
Gotcha.

Very few things annoy me.

I agree 100%, that's why I have so much respect for Matt Frattin. Was suspended as well but put in the work, paid his own way, and it turned out pretty well.

This is just so frustrating though that a player can just ditch his team mid-season. There has got to be some kind of transfer agreement that the two leagues can come about situations where players quit on their team in the middle of the year, can't play the rest of the year in the new league. It just handcuffs a team so much.

Csonked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 07:27 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

I'm sure Lou will be able to straighten him out once he is in the Devils' system.

Old
10-20-2011, 07:42 PM
Chico Eats

double post

Last edited by Chico Eats: 10-20-2011 at 07:51 PM.
Chico Eats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 07:46 PM
Chico Eats

It would be bad for his image, but I think he should make the switch. Red Berenson is a legendary coach, so Michigan is still a great place for him, but we don't know what he did. If Red is just riding him and being a dick, then I'd rather have him playing in Plymouth and just focusing on hockey instead of politics.

He's got a ways to grow up. Whatever road he takes has both positives and negatives. But he should make the best choice for his career because this is most likely going to be forgotten about 3 years from now.

Chico Eats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 07:49 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

People need to realize that he has people whispering in his ear what to do right now. Maybe his agent and/or parents are pushing for him to go to the OHL so he doesn't miss a full year of development. I think the best thing for Merill right now would be to get back on the ice, whether that's at Michigan or Plymouth.

If he is going to get a fresh slate from Red after his suspension, it's one thing but who knows how they might treat him after it's up and depending on what he did.

I find it funny that so many people are ready to hang the kid when they have no clue what he's done. It's his personal decision, none of ours.

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 07:51 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

It'll be forgotten, unless he ****s up again. It'll be forgotten, unless this is what derails his career.

Old
10-20-2011, 08:07 PM
EliasFTW

Quote:
I respectfully disagree.

Life is often unfair. Every time it is (and I have no idea whether or not his suspension was warranted; frankly it is immaterial, as his coach felt it was), one cannot simply cower, turn tail and leave. That's so ****ing immature and irresponsible.

What happens first time Merril gets benched in NJ (assuming he makes it to the NHL)? Pout and ask for a trade?

Character matters. No shortcuts.

And for Christ's sake, respect authority. A coach is not always correct. But he is your coach. And a hockey team is not a democracy.

Again, nothing personal, just disagree with the sentiment of entitlement. A couple of weeks ago Lou said words to the effect that he talked with JM and the player understood that his actions were wrong and he understood why he was suspended. Now this?

Weak.
I diagree it takes courage to have enough pride in yourself to stand up and say if you dont want me I will go where i am needed. Bowing down gets you nowhere in life besides second place. You will never lead, never be anything other then someones number 2.

EliasFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 08:10 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

Quote:
Thanks but just common sense.

The apologists and excusemakers are funny. Best yet: the coach may treat him baaaaadly so he may need to leave.

Generation Soft.
Generation rational.

Old
10-20-2011, 08:16 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

Quote:
I deleted my post. But feel free to perpetuate the stereotype of a spoiled punk. Guess you quit everything that uppppppsetsssss you too in life huh?

Takeslonger for some to realize that life is not a tee-ball field and one can;t always run to mommy when things get tough.

But feel free to make excuses for a snot-nosed teenager just becaus ehe happens to have hockey talent. By golly, he's entitled to do annnnnything he pleases.

As I stated before, contemptable.
Will you relax Trotts, I was kidding. How many Manhattans tonight?

My main point, is we have no clue what he did and we don't even know if he's going to Plymouth yet. Feel free to speculate. I will remain patient.

(and how can you delete posts, I thought they removed that function).

Old
10-20-2011, 08:17 PM
CerebralGenesis

how many more games does he have to miss? I'd rather it end soon so he can play, hell I'd like him to atleast practice with his team. Doing nothing is waste. Character is great when a year of lost playing happens at his ripe old age

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 08:19 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Volchenkov View Post
Will you relax Trotts, I was kidding. How many Manhattans tonight?
Not enough!

BTW, to answer your question: hit edit and the delete button should appear.

Last edited by Trottier: 10-20-2011 at 08:25 PM.
Old
10-20-2011, 08:21 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliasFTW View Post
I diagree it takes courage to have enough pride in yourself to stand up and say if you dont want me I will go where i am needed. Bowing down gets you nowhere in life besides second place. You will never lead, never be anything other then someones number 2.
Indeed. Every time your coach does not please your sorry ass, quit.

That's "courage".

And common respect of authority is "bowing down".

Cool.

We see life a bit differently. Let's leave it at that.

Old
10-20-2011, 08:27 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Proper authority should respected. Merrill isn't doing that.

Old
10-20-2011, 08:35 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
Doing nothing is waste.
Tell that to the fool who got himself suspended.

Quote:
Character is great when a year of lost playing happens at his ripe old age
Seems to me that Merrill is developing his skills right now..as a future coach killer.

Old
10-20-2011, 08:45 PM
EliasFTW

Quote:
Indeed. Every time your coach does not please your sorry ass, quit.

That's "courage".

And common respect of authority is "bowing down".

Cool.

We see life a bit differently. Let's leave it at that.
Growing up poor taught me 2 things nothing is ever given to you and if you dont have pride you have nothing. I didn't hunt because it was fun. I did it so i could eat. You may not respect my callous look on life and i dont care if you do or not. Looking out for oneself is no reason to be called a coward or quiter.

EliasFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 08:51 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Tell that to the fool who got himself suspended.

Seems to me that Merrill is developing his skills right now..as a future coach killer.
That's a bit harsh. We still don't know what he did.

And right now it's only speculation that he is considering leaving Michigan.

Old
10-20-2011, 08:55 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliasFTW View Post
You may not respect my callous look on life and i dont care if you do or not. Looking out for oneself is no reason to be called a coward or quiter.
I do respect your view on this topic, fully. I simply do not share it.

For you offer a false choice, in my opinion.

One can and should look out for himself...and also respect authority fully and not quit when things don't go his way.

I speak from my life experience as well. Again, no hard feelings, no judgement of you on my part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
That's a bit harsh. We still don't know what he did.
No, but his coach does. And he deemed it a suspendable action. And Lou agreed with it. I trust their judgement, fully.

Quote:
And right now it's only speculation that he is considering leaving Michigan.
Read the bottom of post #30.

Last edited by Trottier: 10-20-2011 at 09:20 PM.