HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are the Rangers being unfairly targeted

Old
10-20-2011, 07:22 PM
ciggy

vCash: 500
Are the Rangers being unfairly targeted

by the refs.... some penalties like prust holdin stick obvious.. but the anismov holding, the boyle playin puck with hands just ridiculous...

ciggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 07:23 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
no, no, and no. Its early in the season the refs are this strict early on every year.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 07:26 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

I think every fan of every team in every pro sport feels the same way at some point or another.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 07:26 PM
ciggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolskii View Post
no, no, and no. Its early in the season the refs are this strict early on every year.
i heard them say this a few times, but they don't seem to be hittin our opponents same

Old
10-20-2011, 07:27 PM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
The refs just suck in general. Not directed at us

10-20-2011, 07:29 PM
gotmonte

No we are NOT. We are taking boneheaded penalties.

Avery is off the team. We have no excuses now for ref's lining up to screw us.

Its the beginning of the season. The linesmen are going to be calling everything and anything. The Rangers just havent gotten it through their thick skull that they cant take the easy way out on plays.

Its just that simple

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 07:29 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

No...although, interestingly enough, the only teams to have been called for more minor penalties so far have all played at least 5 games, if not more, as opposed to the Rangers' 4.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 07:30 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Not really, it's just the beginning of the season where calls are particularly strict.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 07:31 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
I'm going to be the guy who says yes. Yes we are. All New York teams have this problem, though. You know why? Because the rest of the country and world hates New Yorkers and New York. I look at the Knicks and wonder why they don't protest after every game for the horrendous reffing against them. There has been a typical bias against New York sports teams forever, though.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 07:43 PM
NYRKING30

i dont think so, to me the refs are more rusty than the players this year as there have been TONS of bad calls all around the league. although at times in the islander and vancouver games you would think the refs had money on the games. i just hope tonight we have solid officiating in the game. call the right calls and remain consistent.

NYRKING30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 07:47 PM
turcotte8

Refs aren't targeting the Rangers, they're just inconsistent and incompetent. No one knows what's being called game to game. What's a penalty on Tuesday isn't on Wednesday.

Perfect example is Callahan's interference penalty vs the Isles. That game it was a penalty, Ovechkin ran into the goalie tonight vs Philly. It was ruled incidental contact, no penalty.
If the league was consistent they would have either both been penalties or both not penalties.

turcotte8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 07:50 PM
Giacomin

NO! We have to be more disclipined

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 07:52 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I'm going to be the guy who says yes. Yes we are. All New York teams have this problem, though. You know why? Because the rest of the country and world hates New Yorkers and New York. I look at the Knicks and wonder why they don't protest after every game for the horrendous reffing against them. There has been a typical bias against New York sports teams forever, though.
Hmmm, you're not studying to become a defense attorney by any chance, are you?

I really don't personally believe there is any collective hate for NY sports teams outside of this area.. The players on those teams are not going to be NY natives for the most part, and I doubt any hypothetical bias is rooted in the fan bases.... I can't think of any stereotypes or stereotypical attitudes that would apply for other organizations based solely on the location... Philadelphia is the only team that carries a reputation for me and that was rightfully earned by how their players conducted themselves on the ice (talking past Flyers' teams here).

Rangers have put themselves into positions to be called for penalties... Most of our penalties were rightfully owned, but some of the tick-tack calls have been calls where we put ourselves in positions where the refs had to use their discretion as to whether or not a penalty was committed... Example being Boyle's glove work in the corner or Erixon's being called for a pick/interference.... Those are not necessarily positions our players need to put themselves in....

I think part of the problem in fans evaluating the fairness or impartiality of the refs is that when we get bad calls made against us, it usually gets lumped into a bias or conspiracy by the officials, but when we get bad calls in our favor, the fans usually let their Ranger bias creep into their evaluation of the play and the fans rationalize that the "right call" was made, even though we would have been livid had the same play been called against us...

Last edited by wolfgaze: 10-20-2011 at 07:58 PM.
wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 08:06 PM
ciggy

i'm watchin the islander game right now, a tampa player went down with an islander player on him, my first reaction is penalty right, cause i'm so used to it being an automatic minor on a rangers player, lol

there was no call and i was

Old
10-20-2011, 08:08 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Answer is no...however most NHL fans will agree that the only thing consistent about NHL officiating is it's inconsistent.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 08:08 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

No. Bad calls have been made but that happens to everyone. NHL officials have regressed over the years but there still good compared to some other sports leagues. Rangers have to stay disciplined, plain and simple.

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 08:46 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
The officiating really is pathetically inconsistent thats the major problem. To Jonathans point though I will agree with his statement, there is a bias against New York teams but it is oh so slight and I think is more apparent in basketball and baseball.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 09:25 PM
chosen

Quote:
This explains all those Yankees banners.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 09:31 PM
ciggy

i don't know fellas. after watchin the 1st period, i don't know how u can say we're not being targeted, the hookin call on gabby was very questionable, and all the hits from behind and cheap shots , if the rangers were doing this we'd be penalized out the gazoo

Old
10-20-2011, 09:36 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

Since Avery is not on the team anymore, no.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 09:37 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
My man. You will always say what alot of us think but won't say out loud. To answer the question: we are being fairly targeted because we are NY. Can Kovalev elbow Holweg? Yes. Can Orr have an accidental collision with Cullen? No. Were we unlucky when Drury got highsticked against the Pens in the playoffs and got no call? Trick question, we were lucky that Drury didn't get a double minor for bleeding on a Penguin stick.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 09:53 PM
ciggy

this is gettin ridiculous, the puck was put out of play 1st. play was dead then girardi subed the guy then gets 2 minutes WTF!!!!!!!
now gabby gets hooked and no call???????

Old
10-20-2011, 10:16 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
This explains all those Yankees banners.
The Yankees can overcome bad umping by spending 30M more than anyone else. Unfortunately there is a cap in place and we can't do the same.

With that said, we'd probably give Rich Pilon a 5M a year contract to come out of retirement.

Old
10-20-2011, 10:17 PM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

I dont think the refs are against us i just think they ****ing suck.

As i said in the game day thread the consistency shown from ref to ref and also from game to game is terrible.

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 10:17 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolskii View Post
The officiating really is pathetically inconsistent thats the major problem. To Jonathans point though I will agree with his statement, there is a bias against New York teams but it is oh so slight and I think is more apparent in basketball and baseball.
It's most apparent in basketball.

Football the least (unless either the Jets or Giants are playing the Cowboys). Hockey and baseball in the middle.