HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are the Rangers being unfairly targeted

Old
10-20-2011, 11:21 PM
pavelich

vCash: 500
No. But that non-call on the Gaborik semi-breakaway in the 2nd period was a joke.

pavelich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:25 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Only against the Penguins have I ever even entertained the idea of the refs having an outside agenda, and that is for a combination of reasons.

No, the Rangers are not being unfairly targeted.

10-20-2011, 11:31 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Eh, I think as New Yorkers, y'all should be used to being hated by the rest of the world. I know everyone likes to NOT be a homer, but New Yorkers have always been hated and will continue to be hated. What, you think that there is no bias against our sports teams? Come on. Don't be so naive. Personal feelings come into play all the time, as it's impossible to be 100% objective.

I don't think we are targeted blatantly or anything. But there has always been a bit of a bias against New York sports, in general. As I said, it's most obvious with the NBA (and least with the NFL). I'm used to the bias at this point, so I try not to complain about it too much (I complain about ****** reffing without bringing it up), but it is absolutely, positively there.

It always has been and always will be. As said, such is the life for a New York sports fan.

I am not one of those dudes who listens to the fan and listens to big mouths complaining. I'm about as objective as anyone who posts on this entire board (Rangers fans and everyone else). I've always seen that slight bias, even with teams I don't care about (the Jets) and a team that I hate (the Yankees).

EvilCorporateLawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:33 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

And for the record, when I mean a slight bias -- I mean a slight bias. Like borderline calls seem to go against us more than for us compared to other teams throughout the league. Nothing overly egregious.

Old
10-20-2011, 11:44 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

I'm starting to find it suspicious that they're getting jobbed in almost every game.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 12:33 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

After tonight's game, I'm gonna say: YES

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 12:54 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

I'm not saying there is a conspiracy, but I can safely say the officiating in the NHL is absolutely awful and ridiculously inconsistent. If ESPN cared about hockey the talking heads would have a field day with how brutal it is.

10-21-2011, 01:27 AM
Muh
Beadle

I have never been one to blame the refs, and honestly I don't have a problem yet this year. Yes some calls may have been borderline, but in no way have I seen anything to make me question the ref calls as a whole.

Edit: No offense to anyone, but I HATE when the refs get the blame for games lost. Yes we won today, but apparently we are still questioning them, I cant stand it.

Muh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 01:29 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Exactly. It's not a bias. It's just terrible officiating. That's nothing new, nor is it exclusive to the NHL. The NBA has terrible officiating (try watching the 2006 NBA Finals and seeing Dwyane Wade handling the ball, pushing Dirk Nowitzki with his free hand, and Dirk getting called for fouls...cost the Mavericks that series). MLB has questionable calls all the time. NFL...I mean, come on, 'nuff said.

The NHL has a number of referees who are flat out atrocious. Don Van Maasenhoven, I'm looking at you.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 01:53 AM
egelband

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
The refs just suck in general. Not directed at us
i think this is the correct answer. the nhl reffing system is pretty awful. i say, get the refs off the ice. sit them above the ice like in tennis. they get in the way and have a crap view of the game. if they are worried about breaking up fights, have a bouncers bench in between the two team benches. or rodeo clowns.

egelband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 02:04 AM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

I saw a few uncalled against us tonight, but I wouldnt say that the zebras are out to get us - Not yet anyhow. They pretty much all suck though.
I tend to look at the Sharks board zebra grade thread as a preview to what Im gonna see on a night to night basis.

Hobgoblin Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 02:15 AM
OverTheCap

I almost get the vibe that the Rangers established themselves as an undisciplined team in the preseason and during the first 2 games of the season, so now the officials are hyper-aware and eager to call any penalties against the Rangers.

But the officiating in the NHL is just garbage in general. Zero consistency from shift to shift. I wish Shanny was in charge of officiating as well, he seems to be the only one who can implement change at the NHL HQ.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 02:27 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Rangers have deserved about 95% of the calls against them. Theyve been stupid. its their own fault.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 02:52 AM
rmcg11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post

The NHL has a number of referees who are flat out atrocious. Don Van Maasenhoven, I'm looking at you.

Literally the only ref who's name that i know and dread when i see it attached to a rangers game.

rmcg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 03:42 AM
fredrikstad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I'm going to be the guy who says yes. Yes we are. All New York teams have this problem, though. You know why? Because the rest of the country and world hates New Yorkers and New York. I look at the Knicks and wonder why they don't protest after every game for the horrendous reffing against them. There has been a typical bias against New York sports teams forever, though.
I`m from the world I dont hate New York or the Rangers. Never heard about other norwegians who hate NY eighter.

fredrikstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 03:50 AM
ColonialsHockey10

No, but it certainly crosses my mind in instances where Cory Perry's fight strap isn't secured but the officials miraculously call the whole incident a "roughing" when it was clearly 100% a ****ing fight.

Or Boyle's "delay of game" a few games back.

Yes, the team takes a ton of dumb penalties, sometimes they don't think things through. We NEVER get the benefit of the doubt though. The refs either call a fair game or we are the ones getting the short end of the stick.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 05:58 AM
DutchShamrock

There is certainly bias in the NHL. There are perceptions that the refs buy into. The Devils had a rep of being a disciplined team. Therefore they couldn't get too many penalties in a game, especially in the postseason. That doesn't mean they weren't committing fouls, it just meant that they got the benefit of the doubt from the refs on borderline calls.

I remember watching a playoff game for the Devils and they mentioned that Stevens never got an elbowing call in the postseason, as if he never elbowed anyone. Well that definitely wasn't the case. He just carried a rep around the league that demanded he hit cleanly and the refs bought into it.

We got more calls before the Sakic offersheet, everything turned at that point. The classic example was that Caps/Rangers game from around 2000... York, Purinton, Ulanov were big factors in the bad calls, Simon, Witt for Washington. I wish we had a tape. Ulanov got speared in the nuts and jabbed Simon with the glove on. 5 min for attempt to injure... for Ulanov only.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 08:29 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciggy View Post
by the refs.... some penalties like prust holdin stick obvious.. but the anismov holding, the boyle playin puck with hands just ridiculous...
the Rangers have played a sloppy brand of hockey 5 games in.

They have to sharpen things up and get back to playing a disciplined style.

They will be fine, but they have to tighten things up.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:00 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredrikstad View Post
I`m from the world I dont hate New York or the Rangers. Never heard about other norwegians who hate NY eighter.
Yeah, but you guys don't hate anyone!

Old
10-21-2011, 09:35 AM
Reijo R

Hate to say this but there is CLEARLY something to this right now. Ever hear the phrase "Where there's smoke, there's fire?" The ratio of PPs to PKs has been totally lopsided, and calls against the opponents are being missed. Where was the penalty on Sarich for blasting Richards from behind? Where was the hook on Gabby's breakaway? I'm awaer that was a slight hook but it needed to be called. I've also seen at least FIVE bad calls on the NYR this year, including the ones on Girardi and Boyle last night, and the Prust "boarding" call in VANC was egregious! It just can't be game after game that the NYR commit more fouls, it's not possible. It would be like flipping a coin in 5 sets of 10 flips, and in all 5 sets, the coin landed on heads 70-80% of the time. Something is going on here. I'm convinced.

Reijo R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:03 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reijo R View Post
Hate to say this but there is CLEARLY something to this right now. Ever hear the phrase "Where there's smoke, there's fire?" The ratio of PPs to PKs has been totally lopsided, and calls against the opponents are being missed. Where was the penalty on Sarich for blasting Richards from behind? Where was the hook on Gabby's breakaway? I'm awaer that was a slight hook but it needed to be called. I've also seen at least FIVE bad calls on the NYR this year, including the ones on Girardi and Boyle last night, and the Prust "boarding" call in VANC was egregious! It just can't be game after game that the NYR commit more fouls, it's not possible. It would be like flipping a coin in 5 sets of 10 flips, and in all 5 sets, the coin landed on heads 70-80% of the time. Something is going on here. I'm convinced.
Are their bad calls, missed calls, etc, etc...of course their are...but this team has not spent enough time in the other teams zone in the past 5 games to draw penalties. That's the bottom line unless/until they sustain more offensive zone pressure they will continue to be on the short side of pp/pk. Even in last nights game there were long periods of time the Flames controlled the puck in our own end...as good as the PK was (a couple of kills that Calgary never got a SOG) the Rangers were still outshoot by a good margin in regulation 32-23.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:05 AM
skroob**

The problem i have is not with the calls against the rangers. They deserved most of them. What i take issue with is what the other team ISN'T getting called for. Its mind blowing.

skroob** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:07 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciggy View Post
i don't know fellas. after watchin the 1st period, i don't know how u can say we're not being targeted, the hookin call on gabby was very questionable, and all the hits from behind and cheap shots , if the rangers were doing this we'd be penalized out the gazoo
not to mention he didn't get a call on the same play. and we got no calls on at least borderline boarding calls against Stepan and Richards. don't think it's intentionally against us...but the refs have and do suck.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:33 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolskii View Post
The officiating really is pathetically inconsistent thats the major problem.
Maybe some of these rules are just to ambiguous to expect consistency.

It seems like the boarding rule, as one example, has tried to clear some of that ambiguity. If you're hit from behind while facing the boards - penalty. It no longer allows the official to take into account the severity of the hit or whether the player who was hit turned at the last minute to put the hitter in a position he couldn't react to. Basically, he's being asked to make a call on a scenario without taking into account the context.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote