HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dan Girardi is playing like an All-Star

Old
10-19-2011, 02:55 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Dan Girardi is playing like an All-Star

Not really sure I can say much more than the title says. He's been an A+ all 4 games so far. Just amazing defense while getting a ridiculous workload. At this rate I'd split him and Staal up once Staal is healthy.

Put McDonagh with Girardi, put Staal with Del Zotto, and Erixon with Sauer.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 03:04 AM
free0717

He is definatley gonna get huge minutes.(28+ tonite) until Sauer is back. I think he is the only Right Defenseman that Torts really trusts right now.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 03:06 AM
smoneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Not really sure I can say much more than the title says. He's been an A+ all 4 games so far. Just amazing defense while getting a ridiculous workload. At this rate I'd split him and Staal up once Staal is healthy.

Put McDonagh with Girardi, put Staal with Del Zotto, and Erixon with Sauer.
While I agree in theory, who plays the right side between Staal and MDZ? I like McD and Girardi. If you put Sauer with Staal, it would give Staal the ability to push his own offensive game, which could be interesting, but then you have Del Zotto playing with Erixon or one of the castaways.

smoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 04:38 AM
Gardner McKay
Niles, Pls.

vCash: 50
I couldn't in good conscience say that splitting Staal and Girardi up would be a good idea. While Girardi is playing lights out hockey without Marc Staal, if he continues that same play when Staal comes back that would be just a brutal pairing for opposing teams top lines to play against.

With Mcdonagh playing as he has as well, you can afford to not place so much reliance on the third pairing with the top two pairs being able to log alot of minutes without letting their play suffering.

Granted that may make things tough for later in the season with the defense however, it will be a tremendous help to a team that save tonights game against the Canucks, has not been stellar offensively. You rest your top defensive players accordingly as the season goes on and IMO all would be well.

Also Inferno, by having those pairings, Girardi Mcdonagh essentially becomes your top pairing because... IMO while Del Zotto has improved a bit it is not enough to go against the Crosby's and Ovechkins, which he would because if did not that would mean DZ-Staal is the 2nd pairing and Girardi- McD are the ones going against the top guys as the first pairing. I think having a player with such great shut down defensive capabilities as Staal has and having a player who can put up 25-30 points (hes had 27, 29pt seasons respectively) with the potential for more pts on the 2nd pairing is is criminal.

But yes, I do agree with you Girardi has looked so completely beast this year that he is playing all star caliber hockey. Makes me happy to see that. If he keeps it up we have a great player playing on what would be a steal of a contract. With the way the defense continues to progress with young guys guys like McD, Sauer, and hopefully (keeping fingers crossed) Erixon (maybe McIlrath), at the end of next season if Girardi keeps this play up until then(unlikely but very cautious optimism) we could have a great bargaining chip to maybe acquire a blue chip forward prospect, maybe blue chip D prospect to restock on those (good to be able to say that), draft picks if we are really set at most positions to restock the farm, or depending on circumstances maybe a solid established scoring forward if our offense is still slightly lacking.

Taking everything into account I have said both good and bad, its a ****ing good problem to have!

Last edited by Gardner McKay: 10-19-2011 at 04:53 AM.
Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 04:55 AM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

Agree 100%. Nothing fancy in his game - just amazing positionally.

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 09:15 AM
ohbaby

Torts mentioned that Dan Girardi has been aces ever since he started coaching here. We are just appreciating and noticing him more with Staal out. His game has always been rock steady..

Last edited by ohbaby: 10-19-2011 at 10:45 AM.
ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 09:47 AM
MSG the place to be*

In the past we have played Staal and G apart against teams with balanced lines and played them together against teams with a stacked top line. Nothing wrong with this.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 09:47 AM
haveandare

He has always been steady, but I really think that he's kicked it into another gear recently.

haveandare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 09:51 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

I will eat a bit of crow (remembering its only 4 games of course) since I stated before the season started that I was worried about Girardi handling big minutes without Staal. Hes done exceptionally well so far.

On a side note, when you look back on the countless threads hyping prospects over the years, Dan Girardi has to be the best story of the all. Who expected an undrafted free agent to be a fixture on the 1st defense pairing?

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 09:56 AM
GAGLine

Girardi is leading the league in TOI per game at 29:22, 1:14 more than Suter.

Kovalchuk, BTW, leads all forwards in TOI and is 4th overall at 27:02 per game. The next foward on the list is Heatley at 57th overall and 22:15 per game. I guess the debbies mean to get their money's worth.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 10:10 AM
chip chipperson*

now that girardi is somewhat in the spot light, i'd like to see him add a different dimension to his game. perhaps a molestache?

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 11:04 AM
skroob**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post

On a side note, when you look back on the countless threads hyping prospects over the years, Dan Girardi has to be the best story of the all. Who expected an undrafted free agent to be a fixture on the 1st defense pairing?
That's why you keep going after the MZA's and Gilroy's of the world

skroob** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 11:06 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Can you imagine teams having to match up against these two shut-down pairs?

Staal - Sauer
McDonagh - Girardi

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 11:29 AM
Staals Eye
once TortsKindaGuy

Girardi has been awesome. In the past 3 seasons he has really gotten better and better. Thinking back now, I find it so funny how many trade proposals there were trying to get him off the team. And especially last year with the whole Gabby incident! Good thing hf isn't the Gm lol.

Staals Eye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 11:53 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Sather really made a bad deal giving Girardi the 4 year contract at more than $3M per. What was he thinking? Girardi sucks. Colin White is a better than Girardi. Remember the Friday morning in early July 2010 when the Rangers gave Girardi 4 years. You would have thought Slats brought back up Scott Gomez with all of the negative venom being spewed.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 11:56 AM
kovazub94
Enigmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolskii View Post
I couldn't in good conscience say that splitting Staal and Girardi up would be a good idea. While Girardi is playing lights out hockey without Marc Staal, if he continues that same play when Staal comes back that would be just a brutal pairing for opposing teams top lines to play against.

With Mcdonagh playing as he has as well, you can afford to not place so much reliance on the third pairing with the top two pairs being able to log alot of minutes without letting their play suffering.

Granted that may make things tough for later in the season with the defense however, it will be a tremendous help to a team that save tonights game against the Canucks, has not been stellar offensively. You rest your top defensive players accordingly as the season goes on and IMO all would be well.

Also Inferno, by having those pairings, Girardi Mcdonagh essentially becomes your top pairing because... IMO while Del Zotto has improved a bit it is not enough to go against the Crosby's and Ovechkins, which he would because if did not that would mean DZ-Staal is the 2nd pairing and Girardi- McD are the ones going against the top guys as the first pairing. I think having a player with such great shut down defensive capabilities as Staal has and having a player who can put up 25-30 points (hes had 27, 29pt seasons respectively) with the potential for more pts on the 2nd pairing is is criminal.

But yes, I do agree with you Girardi has looked so completely beast this year that he is playing all star caliber hockey. Makes me happy to see that. If he keeps it up we have a great player playing on what would be a steal of a contract. With the way the defense continues to progress with young guys guys like McD, Sauer, and hopefully (keeping fingers crossed) Erixon (maybe McIlrath), at the end of next season if Girardi keeps this play up until then(unlikely but very cautious optimism) we could have a great bargaining chip to maybe acquire a blue chip forward prospect, maybe blue chip D prospect to restock on those (good to be able to say that), draft picks if we are really set at most positions to restock the farm, or depending on circumstances maybe a solid established scoring forward if our offense is still slightly lacking.

Taking everything into account I have said both good and bad, its a ****ing good problem to have!
I knew somebody was going to say it - why would you trade an All-Star caliber, 1st pair defenseman who's also very cost effective? A forward (wing?) with corresponding talent or production value would be prohibitive to the Rangers salary-wise against the cap.

kovazub94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 12:43 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by skroob View Post
That's why you keep going after the MZA's and Gilroy's of the world
Borderline NHL players? Sure. I go after the player far less than the fans who incessantly hype them to levels they're entirely unlikely to achieve.

Dan Girardi established himself as an NHL'er a long time ago. I think its wonderful that hes recently been establishing himself as an upper-echelon defenseman in this league.

Old
10-19-2011, 12:58 PM
Gardner McKay
Niles, Pls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovazub94 View Post
I knew somebody was going to say it - why would you trade an All-Star caliber, 1st pair defenseman who's also very cost effective? A forward (wing?) with corresponding talent or production value would be prohibitive to the Rangers salary-wise against the cap.
Im guessing you think Im referring to Staal, if thats the case I am not. Trading Marc Staal would be asinine unless it was for a beyond absurd overpayment, which even then it would be unlikely we get a defenseman of his calibre back and in this case you are absolutely right, that would be counter productive

Im was talking about Girardi when his contract is expiring which not to mention I was wrong about when Girardi's contract expired, for some reason I dunno why, I thought it was at the end of the 2012-2013, not 2013-2014 which makes most of it moot. But just for arguments sake, this would be provided our young defenseman, like Sauer, McD, and Erixon continue to develop to their potential which would give us a log jam in the top 4 in a year or two.

You took what I said wayyy out of context. I am hardly one of those people who wants to be in an eternal rebuild and trade every experienced player for prospects/picks.

Not to mention I was wrong about when Girardi's contract expired, for some reason I dunno why, I thought it was at the end of the 2012-2013, not 2013-2014 which makes most of it moot.

Old
10-19-2011, 01:01 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Hey Inferno do you think it's possible that Girardi did some work over the summer with Babs Underhill and that's why we're seeing such a great start to his season???

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 01:08 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Hey Inferno do you think it's possible that Girardi did some work over the summer with Babs Underhill and that's why we're seeing such a great start to his season???
i hate you.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 01:09 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

He's able to skate for 30 minutes a night because Barb taught him how to glide in the air, over the ice, to put less strain on his legs and back.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 01:21 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

He's playing very well so far defensively. A step up from last season, but it's only 4 games. Let's see if he can sustain it. Hope so. They need it with Staal out. It won't be a good thing, however, if he wears himself out by season's end.

I hope he continues to increase his value, thus making it more likely that he can be an integral piece in a package that brings back a top notch offensive defenseman (assuming Staal is going to play at a high level...who knows what's going on there).

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 02:48 PM
ogie

If Girardi plays the way he did last season and can score in the area of 14+ goals. I would say he would be in the running for the Norris Trophy.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 02:59 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
If Girardi plays the way he did last season and can score in the area of 14+ goals. I would say he would be in the running for the Norris Trophy.
....aaaand we've taken the praise too far on page 1 of the thread.

Old
10-19-2011, 03:00 PM
Gardner McKay
Niles, Pls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
Yeah... no... I think girardi has been playing BY FAR the best hockey of his career but Norris discussion 4 games into the season?