HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

USA vs. Russia

Closed Thread

Old
09-02-2004, 06:23 PM
Melrose_Jr.

vCash: 500
USA vs. Russia

USA with another "Rangeresue" start to the game. Esche very solid again.

Anyone else watching?

Old
09-02-2004, 08:00 PM
Yizee*

yeah

I'm watching - and why does Leetch look more like Messier? Every time I see him playing he's either standing still watching the play or barely moving around - he definitely is not the player he was and he must have learned the laziness that messier has in games cause he is like the only player I see stand around while the play happens around him

Old
09-02-2004, 08:11 PM
Edge

Ah yes the Messier corrupting the universe theory again. That's gotta be it.

Old
09-02-2004, 08:16 PM
Yizee*

Well

Well why doesnt Leetch carry the puck up the ice and make those nice moves past defenders like he used to and carry it past the blueline? all he ever does now is pass it to a forward and let them do the work - he isnt that great of a player at all anymore

Old
09-02-2004, 09:44 PM
TheZherdev

i think the bigger news is how Russia dominated the game. I never expected it.

Old
09-02-2004, 10:56 PM
Edge

Team USA look incredibly unprepared for this entire tournament.

And Brian Leetch is showing me what I saw in Toronto....a 36 year old defenseman who looks every bit that old.

Old
09-02-2004, 11:37 PM
Balej20*

What about that Kovalev goal...my god does that man have some incredible talent. Too bad he plays with no heart

Old
09-03-2004, 12:04 AM
Edge

I remember even back during his first sting here thinking that if Kovalev had Graves heart and desire he'd be the best player of his generation.

He had the size, speed, scoring and nastiness to be something revolutionary. But as a whole his career has been disappointing.

Old
09-03-2004, 12:37 AM
Balej20*

Yep, i completely agree. The funny thing is, even when he doesnt put his heart into his play, he can STILL sometimes be a top five player in the league...

Old
09-03-2004, 08:15 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Somethings I noticed both at the Canada game (which I had the privilege of seeing in person) and the Russia game (missed the first two periods):

1) No power forwards. We did a very poor job of crashing the net, creating traffic during PPs, etc.

2) Too much perimeter passing/neutral zone cross-ice passes that produced little drive deep into the zone. Only when we were behind did we cycle the puck effectively at all.

3) Lack of team speed. The Russians were flying, the Candians used their size, and we looked flat-footed at all times.

These are just MHO, but I wasn't impressed by what I saw in person Tuesday night, or on TV last night. If it weren't for Esche, we would've been buried on Tuesday.

One highlight from Tuesday, when we did decide to press, and take shots, Brodeur saved Canada's skin several times.

Old
09-03-2004, 09:51 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker
Somethings I noticed both at the Canada game (which I had the privilege of seeing in person) and the Russia game (missed the first two periods):

1) No power forwards. We did a very poor job of crashing the net, creating traffic during PPs, etc.

2) Too much perimeter passing/neutral zone cross-ice passes that produced little drive deep into the zone. Only when we were behind did we cycle the puck effectively at all.

3) Lack of team speed. The Russians were flying, the Candians used their size, and we looked flat-footed at all times.

These are just MHO, but I wasn't impressed by what I saw in person Tuesday night, or on TV last night. If it weren't for Esche, we would've been buried on Tuesday.

One highlight from Tuesday, when we did decide to press, and take shots, Brodeur saved Canada's skin several times.
Team USA is old. Im shocked why some of the younger USA players are not on the team. Mike York, Tom Poti, Brian Gionta, etc.

Old
09-03-2004, 09:59 AM
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20
What about that Kovalev goal...my god does that man have some incredible talent. Too bad he plays with no heart
What was the goal like? Can anyone describe it?

Old
09-03-2004, 10:07 AM
TheZherdev

He mad this sick move around an American defensman by putting the puck through his legs. Then he skated torwards Esche's right and waited for him to go down when he put the puck in the top corner of the opposite side. It was absolutely beautiful.

Old
09-03-2004, 11:50 AM
High flyin' Habs*

Send a message via ICQ to High flyin' Habs* Send a message via MSN to High flyin' Habs*
Yeah that Kovalev goal was crazy!! I hope he stays with the habs!! Thanx guys :lol .

Old
09-03-2004, 11:54 AM
RangsDave

Send a message via AIM to RangsDave
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothskater
Yeah that Kovalev goal was crazy!! I hope he stays with the habs!! Thanx guys :lol .
You know, players are bad only when they are with the rangers
Kovalev would never do anything like that when he was playing for NY

Old
09-03-2004, 12:00 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackburn2727
He mad this sick move around an American defensman by putting the puck through his legs. Then he skated torwards Esche's right and waited for him to go down when he put the puck in the top corner of the opposite side. It was absolutely beautiful.
It was actually Amonte who was covering for Chelios(i think) who was caught up ice.

It was a thing of beauty and one of ther reasons why Alex is so frustrating. I don't think it's a lack if heart, though, as Alex is more than willing to take the physical punishment along the boards and in front of the net. It's not that he's stupid or has no hockey sense, it's just that his hockey intelligence does not match his hockey skills.

Old
09-03-2004, 02:26 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor
It was actually Amonte who was covering for Chelios(i think) who was caught up ice.

It was a thing of beauty and one of ther reasons why Alex is so frustrating. I don't think it's a lack if heart, though, as Alex is more than willing to take the physical punishment along the boards and in front of the net. It's not that he's stupid or has no hockey sense, it's just that his hockey intelligence does not match his hockey skills.
I disagree. It is rather sense of purpose that has never been in exsistance in NY. For many players, not only him. Messier and Graves were great cause they were able to bring about it. Fleury, Kamenski, LaFontain and even Gretzki and Esposito couldn't do it.
I'm disappointed that many Americans dont get that boost while playing for their country...

Old
09-03-2004, 02:45 PM
Yizee*

saddens

It saddens me that USA is not playing hard enough to win - I want so bad for them to put on a good show so the ratings will go up - so ESPN will put them in the headlines and for people to stop disrespecting hockey - but all I saw last night was a boring game with no energy from USA and a game they easily lost - Tonight they have to stop sitting around in period 1 and then picking there game up in period 2 and then losing the game in period 3 - they have to fricken play hard and put on a good show for the non hockey fans - I sit in front of my screen just hoping for a nice hit or a bunch of goals from Team USA but instead its the opposite and the non hockey fans will just change the channel and they better get there act together tonight. Show some heart for the jersey you wear on your sweater - and Leetch needs to take control he looks like a statue out there he looks like Messier - afraid to take the puck and to move it and afraid to make a play - he is definitely a different player

Old
09-03-2004, 03:10 PM
Bob Froese

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
Team USA is old. Im shocked why some of the younger USA players are not on the team. Mike York, Tom Poti, Brian Gionta, etc.
i hate the fish sticks but even mark parrish this should have been younger, just look at canada in all honesty they will taek the gold, they have some incredible youth and vets to go with it . canada has it great from offense to defennse to goaltendeing usa has jeff halper as one of the centers instead of york ah who knows

Old
09-03-2004, 05:23 PM
burner10115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackburn2727
i think the bigger news is how Russia dominated the game. I never expected it.
I know this is an easier call now, but Russia is my top pick to win. They're too good when they play like they did. Even though they played a closer game against US than Canada did, We have to remember that they faced a more determined USA that had their first game undr their belt, unlike Russia. If Russia can somehow manage to play solid D, then I think they will win it all.

Old
09-03-2004, 11:53 PM
TheZherdev

that goalie, Byzagosky or w/e his name is looked pretty sharp. Any thoughts?

Old
09-04-2004, 04:10 AM
High flyin' Habs*

Send a message via ICQ to High flyin' Habs* Send a message via MSN to High flyin' Habs*
Byzagosky?? :lol Its Bryzaglov.

Old
09-04-2004, 05:37 AM
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothskater
Byzagosky?? :lol Its Bryzaglov.
Actually, it's Bryzgalov.

Closed Thread