HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

USA vs. Russia

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-02-2004, 06:23 PM
  #1
Melrose_Jr.
Registered User
 
Melrose_Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 10,692
vCash: 500
USA vs. Russia

USA with another "Rangeresue" start to the game. Esche very solid again.

Anyone else watching?

Melrose_Jr. is offline  
Old
09-02-2004, 08:00 PM
  #2
Yizee*
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 419
vCash: 500
yeah

I'm watching - and why does Leetch look more like Messier? Every time I see him playing he's either standing still watching the play or barely moving around - he definitely is not the player he was and he must have learned the laziness that messier has in games cause he is like the only player I see stand around while the play happens around him

Yizee* is offline  
Old
09-02-2004, 08:11 PM
  #3
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
Ah yes the Messier corrupting the universe theory again. That's gotta be it.

Edge is offline  
Old
09-02-2004, 08:16 PM
  #4
Yizee*
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 419
vCash: 500
Well

Well why doesnt Leetch carry the puck up the ice and make those nice moves past defenders like he used to and carry it past the blueline? all he ever does now is pass it to a forward and let them do the work - he isnt that great of a player at all anymore

Yizee* is offline  
Old
09-02-2004, 09:44 PM
  #5
TheZherdev
Registered User
 
TheZherdev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,351
vCash: 500
i think the bigger news is how Russia dominated the game. I never expected it.

TheZherdev is offline  
Old
09-02-2004, 10:56 PM
  #6
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
Team USA look incredibly unprepared for this entire tournament.

And Brian Leetch is showing me what I saw in Toronto....a 36 year old defenseman who looks every bit that old.

Edge is offline  
Old
09-02-2004, 11:37 PM
  #7
Balej20*
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 11,045
vCash: 500
What about that Kovalev goal...my god does that man have some incredible talent. Too bad he plays with no heart

Balej20* is offline  
Old
09-03-2004, 12:04 AM
  #8
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
I remember even back during his first sting here thinking that if Kovalev had Graves heart and desire he'd be the best player of his generation.

He had the size, speed, scoring and nastiness to be something revolutionary. But as a whole his career has been disappointing.

Edge is offline  
Old
09-03-2004, 12:37 AM
  #9
Balej20*
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 11,045
vCash: 500
Yep, i completely agree. The funny thing is, even when he doesnt put his heart into his play, he can STILL sometimes be a top five player in the league...

Balej20* is offline  
Old
09-03-2004, 08:15 AM
  #10
Forechecker
Registered User
 
Forechecker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 4,322
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Somethings I noticed both at the Canada game (which I had the privilege of seeing in person) and the Russia game (missed the first two periods):

1) No power forwards. We did a very poor job of crashing the net, creating traffic during PPs, etc.

2) Too much perimeter passing/neutral zone cross-ice passes that produced little drive deep into the zone. Only when we were behind did we cycle the puck effectively at all.

3) Lack of team speed. The Russians were flying, the Candians used their size, and we looked flat-footed at all times.

These are just MHO, but I wasn't impressed by what I saw in person Tuesday night, or on TV last night. If it weren't for Esche, we would've been buried on Tuesday.

One highlight from Tuesday, when we did decide to press, and take shots, Brodeur saved Canada's skin several times.

Forechecker is offline  
Old
09-03-2004, 09:51 AM
  #11
BDubinskyNYR17*
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 10,761
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker
Somethings I noticed both at the Canada game (which I had the privilege of seeing in person) and the Russia game (missed the first two periods):

1) No power forwards. We did a very poor job of crashing the net, creating traffic during PPs, etc.

2) Too much perimeter passing/neutral zone cross-ice passes that produced little drive deep into the zone. Only when we were behind did we cycle the puck effectively at all.

3) Lack of team speed. The Russians were flying, the Candians used their size, and we looked flat-footed at all times.

These are just MHO, but I wasn't impressed by what I saw in person Tuesday night, or on TV last night. If it weren't for Esche, we would've been buried on Tuesday.

One highlight from Tuesday, when we did decide to press, and take shots, Brodeur saved Canada's skin several times.
Team USA is old. Im shocked why some of the younger USA players are not on the team. Mike York, Tom Poti, Brian Gionta, etc.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline  
Old
09-03-2004, 09:59 AM
  #12
Bacchus
Registered User
 
Bacchus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Dickes B
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20
What about that Kovalev goal...my god does that man have some incredible talent. Too bad he plays with no heart
What was the goal like? Can anyone describe it?

Bacchus is offline  
Old
09-03-2004, 10:07 AM
  #13
TheZherdev
Registered User
 
TheZherdev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,351
vCash: 500
He mad this sick move around an American defensman by putting the puck through his legs. Then he skated torwards Esche's right and waited for him to go down when he put the puck in the top corner of the opposite side. It was absolutely beautiful.

TheZherdev is offline  
Old
09-03-2004, 11:50 AM
  #14
High flyin' Habs*
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Georgia
Posts: 2,294
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to High flyin' Habs* Send a message via MSN to High flyin' Habs*
Yeah that Kovalev goal was crazy!! I hope he stays with the habs!! Thanx guys :lol .

High flyin' Habs* is offline  
Old
09-03-2004, 11:54 AM
  #15
RangsDave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 110
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangsDave
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothskater
Yeah that Kovalev goal was crazy!! I hope he stays with the habs!! Thanx guys :lol .
You know, players are bad only when they are with the rangers
Kovalev would never do anything like that when he was playing for NY

RangsDave is offline  
Old
09-03-2004, 12:00 PM
  #16
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor
 
klingsor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 14,076
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackburn2727
He mad this sick move around an American defensman by putting the puck through his legs. Then he skated torwards Esche's right and waited for him to go down when he put the puck in the top corner of the opposite side. It was absolutely beautiful.
It was actually Amonte who was covering for Chelios(i think) who was caught up ice.

It was a thing of beauty and one of ther reasons why Alex is so frustrating. I don't think it's a lack if heart, though, as Alex is more than willing to take the physical punishment along the boards and in front of the net. It's not that he's stupid or has no hockey sense, it's just that his hockey intelligence does not match his hockey skills.

klingsor is offline  
Old
09-03-2004, 02:26 PM
  #17
94now
Registered User
 
94now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Snow Belt, USA
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor
It was actually Amonte who was covering for Chelios(i think) who was caught up ice.

It was a thing of beauty and one of ther reasons why Alex is so frustrating. I don't think it's a lack if heart, though, as Alex is more than willing to take the physical punishment along the boards and in front of the net. It's not that he's stupid or has no hockey sense, it's just that his hockey intelligence does not match his hockey skills.
I disagree. It is rather sense of purpose that has never been in exsistance in NY. For many players, not only him. Messier and Graves were great cause they were able to bring about it. Fleury, Kamenski, LaFontain and even Gretzki and Esposito couldn't do it.
I'm disappointed that many Americans dont get that boost while playing for their country...

94now is offline  
Old
09-03-2004, 02:45 PM
  #18
Yizee*
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 419
vCash: 500
saddens

It saddens me that USA is not playing hard enough to win - I want so bad for them to put on a good show so the ratings will go up - so ESPN will put them in the headlines and for people to stop disrespecting hockey - but all I saw last night was a boring game with no energy from USA and a game they easily lost - Tonight they have to stop sitting around in period 1 and then picking there game up in period 2 and then losing the game in period 3 - they have to fricken play hard and put on a good show for the non hockey fans - I sit in front of my screen just hoping for a nice hit or a bunch of goals from Team USA but instead its the opposite and the non hockey fans will just change the channel and they better get there act together tonight. Show some heart for the jersey you wear on your sweater - and Leetch needs to take control he looks like a statue out there he looks like Messier - afraid to take the puck and to move it and afraid to make a play - he is definitely a different player

Yizee* is offline  
Old
09-03-2004, 03:10 PM
  #19
Bob Froese
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Bronx
Posts: 84
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
Team USA is old. Im shocked why some of the younger USA players are not on the team. Mike York, Tom Poti, Brian Gionta, etc.
i hate the fish sticks but even mark parrish this should have been younger, just look at canada in all honesty they will taek the gold, they have some incredible youth and vets to go with it . canada has it great from offense to defennse to goaltendeing usa has jeff halper as one of the centers instead of york ah who knows

Bob Froese is offline  
Old
09-03-2004, 05:23 PM
  #20
burner10115
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 50
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackburn2727
i think the bigger news is how Russia dominated the game. I never expected it.
I know this is an easier call now, but Russia is my top pick to win. They're too good when they play like they did. Even though they played a closer game against US than Canada did, We have to remember that they faced a more determined USA that had their first game undr their belt, unlike Russia. If Russia can somehow manage to play solid D, then I think they will win it all.

burner10115 is offline  
Old
09-03-2004, 11:53 PM
  #21
TheZherdev
Registered User
 
TheZherdev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,351
vCash: 500
that goalie, Byzagosky or w/e his name is looked pretty sharp. Any thoughts?

TheZherdev is offline  
Old
09-04-2004, 04:10 AM
  #22
High flyin' Habs*
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Georgia
Posts: 2,294
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to High flyin' Habs* Send a message via MSN to High flyin' Habs*
Byzagosky?? :lol Its Bryzaglov.

High flyin' Habs* is offline  
Old
09-04-2004, 05:37 AM
  #23
Bacchus
Registered User
 
Bacchus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Dickes B
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothskater
Byzagosky?? :lol Its Bryzaglov.
Actually, it's Bryzgalov.

Bacchus is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:09 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.