HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

is anyone else worried by the lack of intensity?

Old
10-20-2011, 10:02 PM
Riddick

vCash: 500
is anyone else worried by the lack of intensity?

This isnt a kneejerk response to this Lightning game, i missed the first two games of the season but caught the rest. The entire team just looks lackadasical in their play. It just looks like very little hitting, the forecheck doesnt seem to really be there, even the general play looks like they are just floating through the game without really putting in any effort. The entire feeling/mentality of the team from the second half of last year is just not even close to being there. Havent even seen a flicker of it either, even in the Rangers game..

Riddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 10:08 PM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddick View Post
This isnt a kneejerk response to this Lightning game, i missed the first two games of the season but caught the rest. The entire team just looks lackadasical in their play. It just looks like very little hitting, the forecheck doesnt seem to really be there, even the general play looks like they are just floating through the game without really putting in any effort. The entire feeling/mentality of the team from the second half of last year is just not even close to being there. Havent even seen a flicker of it either, even in the Rangers game..
Frankly, I'm worried about the offensive depth beyond, not even his line, but Tavares! This team needs to wake up. Tavares aside, I agree with you completely.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 10:15 PM
beach
Things are looking

Send a message via ICQ to beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddick View Post
Yes.

beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 10:21 PM
number72

Yes. Not Montoya best game, but I can't blame him - unless he delivered a shutout this game was a loss. Taveres/Grabner are producing but there is a big lack of offensive depth.
And it is a shame that against Tampa who is soft on defence we cannot score at will. I guess we will soon get a better sense of where we stack up against other teams.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 10:22 PM
Words Of Wisdom
Truth Speaker

Its one game and it was a four day layoff, lets see how this team plays in the next few games although im having the same worries as you.

Words Of Wisdom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 10:32 PM
Islanderfan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavares 91 4eva View Post
Its one game and it was a four day layoff, lets see how this team plays in the next few games although im having the same worries as you.
I agree, however I'm extremely concerned as well. I watch other teams games on a regular basis and I never really see a team that has such a complete lack of effort. It's simply DISTURBING.

It's also my biggest pet peeve in sports, you CANNOT win if you don't have any compete level. If they can come out Saturday and play a full 60 minutes of hockey, then I won't be nearly as concerned as I am right now. The lack of forecheck this season is what is worrying me the most, as a forecheck is the biggest measure of effort you can get in hockey.

They need to up the aggressiveness in there game, they need to bring back Comeau for the sake of scoring, figure out some lines, and bring up Haley. Somebody in the locker room needs to pick them up off their ***** and tell them to play harder.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 10:41 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

vCash: 3178
Tavares and Streit are really the only ones who are producing, we really need another top flight scoring threat to get to the next level. I think we will be ok though, just struggling right now, but they will figure it out. Personally I would like to see the second and third lines shuffled around a bit.

WangMustGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 10:52 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by WangMustGo View Post
Tavares and Streit are really the only ones who are producing, we really need another top flight scoring threat to get to the next level. I think we will be ok though, just struggling right now, but they will figure it out. Personally I would like to see the second and third lines shuffled around a bit.
Technically, Parenteau is producing as well and as sad is it is to hear for some of us hear, he's also been noticeably the second best forward on this team. He works hard and creates opportunities more than anyone up front other than Tavares right now.

On the other hand, I can't WAIT until Bailey is out there with Comeau and Niederreiter.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 10:54 PM
cjdv16

A bit concerned, but this is the typical path for a young team that needs to learn how to win.

These kids need to learn how to be pro's, meaning they bring it night in and night out.

Gotta develop that killer instinct.

Worried, upset/disgusted (tonight), but not panicking.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 10:54 PM
Words Of Wisdom
Truth Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
I agree, however I'm extremely concerned as well. I watch other teams games on a regular basis and I never really see a team that has such a complete lack of effort. It's simply DISTURBING.

It's also my biggest pet peeve in sports, you CANNOT win if you don't have any compete level. If they can come out Saturday and play a full 60 minutes of hockey, then I won't be nearly as concerned as I am right now. The lack of forecheck this season is what is worrying me the most, as a forecheck is the biggest measure of effort you can get in hockey.

They need to up the aggressiveness in there game, they need to bring back Comeau for the sake of scoring, figure out some lines, and bring up Haley. Somebody in the locker room needs to pick them up off their ***** and tell them to play harder.
I agree if this team wants to make the playoffs, they need to learn to play a full 60 and play with alot more heart than they did tonight.

Words Of Wisdom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:35 PM
majormet

It is just 5 games so need to worry, also if you project Grabner and Moulson, they would be 30 goal plus scorers again based on scoring 2 goals in the first 5 games, so 5 games means little.

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:36 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

vCash: 3178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Technically, Parenteau is producing as well and as sad is it is to hear for some of us hear, he's also been noticeably the second best forward on this team. He works hard and creates opportunities more than anyone up front other than Tavares right now.

On the other hand, I can't WAIT until Bailey is out there with Comeau and Niederreiter.
I agree with that, the first line has been good, but has been mainly carried by JT. Even though Bailey hasn't been scoring I have noticed a difference in him, he is playing some good hockey IMO, I just don't think he has very good line mates right now.

How much longer is Niederreiter going to be out for?

WangMustGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 11:46 PM
Sammy2010*

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormet View Post
It is just 5 games so need to worry, also if you project Grabner and Moulson, they would be 30 goal plus scorers again based on scoring 2 goals in the first 5 games, so 5 games means little.
No offense but the excuses do not cut it. They have played passionless for almost 3 entire games. Grabner and Moulson were 30 goal scorers last year, and they still finished bottom five. Where is the rest offense?

Sammy2010* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 12:33 AM
It Was 4 to 1*

first road game and first game in 4 nights. not too worried

It Was 4 to 1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 01:23 AM
Sammy2010*

Hopefully things will turn around, but these no effort nights by most of the team are a cause for concern. If they continue and the team flat lines, I wonder if Snow will get to dump another coach that HE picked?

Old
10-21-2011, 01:41 AM
Backhand of Justice
Casey Zeeky

I think we all need to take it easy. There should be nothing to worry about. It was the first game in 4 days and our first road game. Why are people concerned? If this is consistent then I can understand. But the 2 games before this one, the Isles played great with loads of effort. Seriously guys, I really don't think there is any cause for concern.

Backhand of Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 01:45 AM
Sammy2010*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLio21093 View Post
I think we all need to take it easy. There should be nothing to worry about. It was the first game in 4 days and our first road game. Why are people concerned?
So what? They are supposed to be pros. People are concerned because they have been flat for almost 3 games already, and there is no offense beyond JT.

Old
10-21-2011, 01:52 AM
LAIslanderFan

It's the mark of a young team with a couple of bad players (Mottau, Rolston). It appeared as if the team got a little desparate in the 3rd period, but by then it was too late and the desparation caused them to take too many chances.

They played a very good team and decided they were good enough to mail it it. Obvioulsy they're not good enough to do that.

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 03:38 AM
Backhand of Justice
Casey Zeeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2010 View Post
So what? They are supposed to be pros. People are concerned because they have been flat for almost 3 games already, and there is no offense beyond JT.
And? Being a pro doesn't mean you're exempt from having a bad game. These things happen. Teams have bad games. We have 70+ games left, and we're already pressing the panic button even though we're just 3-2? Completely unnecessary. I think we have plenty to look forward to.

Backhand of Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 07:18 AM
Riddick

Im not panicking, im saying it looks like there is very little intensity/effort out there. and you can say 'its one game' 'four day layoff' 'post ranger' blahblah, they came out flat and passionless in the fn SEASON/HOME OPENER in front of a sellout raucous crowd, they came out without much intensity against their BIGGEST rival. If they dont/cant get 'up' for those games.....wtf is it going to take for them to amp their effort??

Riddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 07:32 AM
Sammy2010*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLio21093 View Post
And? Being a pro doesn't mean you're exempt from having a bad game. These things happen. Teams have bad games. We have 70+ games left, and we're already pressing the panic button even though we're just 3-2? Completely unnecessary. I think we have plenty to look forward to.
It is not just a bad game. It is bad games. They basically have the same bottom 5 roster as last year. There is reason to be concerned.

Old
10-21-2011, 07:48 AM
BillD

For 3 out of 5 games we had too many "passengers" as the great Al Arbour used to call them.
There is JT who is playing like a star, full effort on every shift.......then there is everyone else.
These guys might think they are working because they are sweating after their shift and out of breath, but they are losing all the little battles and making all the small mistakes while putting out 90% effort, which can not happen in this league if you want to win.
Winning means making good decisons with and without the puck, and executing at 100%. They are arriving late ar pucks and positions, not managing the puck well, losing 50/50 battles, and not applying any offensive zone pressure.
Everyone except JT is a guilty party. Team needs a kick in the ass, and get Comeau back in the lineup. At his worst he is a threat to score. Gillies is a threat to do what, warm the bench? C'mon already.
Not a disaster at this point, but the effort have to be much much better.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 08:05 AM
John TavArt Ross

Besides the unbelievable confidence JT is playing with, I agree completely. Maybe it's just me, but doesn't it seem like they are trying to play the trap half the time? Especially last night. It was a 1-0 game for quite a while and they finished with only 17 shots. That's insane. The refs were definitely letting the boys play last night and I think there should have been many more opportunities.

John TavArt Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 08:37 AM
Brunomics

I'm concerned with the lack of intensity from the Grabner-Nielsen-Okposo line, JT's and Reasoner's lines do what they have to do and Bailey's line is well there but is a mess.

Okposo looks like he's out there still celebrating his new contract. There is not one ounce grit or determination that is going through him during any shift. Grabner looks like he doesn't want to get his hands dirty and is just hanging out waiting for his chance at a breakway and Nielsen just looks like he has no clue what he's doing. This second line needs to be broken up.

Even though Comeau is a mess at least he's working hard every shift, same for Bailey. Rolston should be taking a seat in the press box when Nino comes back and I wouldn't think twice about scratching Grabner or Okposo for a game so they take the hint.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 08:57 AM
xECK29x

No I'm not worried you know why, it's only the FIFTH game of the season. Ask me again after the 15th game and our first full road-trip (not just a 2 day swing in one state).

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote