HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

is anyone else worried by the lack of intensity?

Old
10-21-2011, 09:21 AM
Doshell Propivo

vCash: 500
Teams rarely "look good" when they lose. These players aren't world beaters that are going to dazzle their fans like the Soviet National team.

As another poster pointed out, they look EXACTLY as they should. A young, inexperienced team VERY thin on elite talent. And a lot of dead weight.

It is what it is. Enjoy the W's. 5 games into the season and they have a winning record. If you're expecting anything more out of this team you aren't looking at the lineup objectively.

Doshell Propivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:56 AM
Wedregast

They had a bad game. It happens. Yes there are concerns, like when are the 2nd and 3rd lines going to start scoring. But it is only 5 games in. Like i said a week ago, we need to really wait at least 20 games in before we know what this team is made off. Last season because of the injuries and such, we never saw much more then some potential. This season if our top guys stay healthy, we can see what it is we have in this team and how it stacks up to the others in the league.

Also keep in mind they are still getting there legs, as are the other teams in the league. In a few weeks that won't be the case, and they should be playing with more sustained stability.

Wedregast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:13 AM
majormet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedregast View Post
They had a bad game. It happens. Yes there are concerns, like when are the 2nd and 3rd lines going to start scoring. But it is only 5 games in. Like i said a week ago, we need to really wait at least 20 games in before we know what this team is made off. Last season because of the injuries and such, we never saw much more then some potential. This season if our top guys stay healthy, we can see what it is we have in this team and how it stacks up to the others in the league.

Also keep in mind they are still getting there legs, as are the other teams in the league. In a few weeks that won't be the case, and they should be playing with more sustained stability.
Good post, right on. Just look at the Pittsburgh Pirates in baseball this year, they were in first place when other teams did not have their legs, and they ended up around 90 losses.

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:42 AM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddick View Post
This isnt a kneejerk response to this Lightning game, i missed the first two games of the season but caught the rest. The entire team just looks lackadasical in their play. It just looks like very little hitting, the forecheck doesnt seem to really be there, even the general play looks like they are just floating through the game without really putting in any effort. The entire feeling/mentality of the team from the second half of last year is just not even close to being there. Havent even seen a flicker of it either, even in the Rangers game..
Everyone but Tavares, Martin, Pandolfo, Reasoner, Streit, Eaton and Staios has took games off. Montoya and Nabokov haven't taken games off either but I'm sticking with the players.

And for the EDIT, I had Tavares originally but that's unfair, there have been others but a lot of players need to step their **** up!

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:46 AM
Katurian

I'm willing to wait and see what we have... I just have a sneaking suspicion that when all is said and done Haley is going to be on that 4th line being a spark plug for this team.

I hope he gets called up for the Pittsburgh games but I doubt that's the case.

I think we need him on this team. We have too many guys that, while skilled, don't play with an edge on an every shift basis.

Katurian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 11:00 AM
Islanders1932

There has been a lack of hitting since game 1, this is a major reason I would love to see Haley up here. I think not only can he spark the physical play, but he can energize this team.

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 11:02 AM
JPIsles21

Quote:

This pretty much sums it up.

The one thing that worries me is Capuano's lineup decisions. It's a team that has produced only 2 goals outside of the top line (2/10 goals) coming into last night's game. A team that is not yet functioning well offensively cannot scratch a legitimate NHLer for Gillies. But it's not the fact that Comeau is scratched that is bothering me, it's wasting a roster spot on an enforcer against teams that do not carry one (Rangers and Lightning). You cannot afford to waste a potential source of production for a waste of space type of player.

This is an example of overcoaching in my opinion. I'm not sure what Comeau did, but not replacing his production in the lineup is inexcusable. In no other sport would this be acceptable. It's equivalent of a MLB team benching their struggling 2B for a pitcher, or an NFL team plugging in their backup center to replace their struggling starting tight end.

With the way the Isles played last night, it probably would not have made a difference. But you need to give your team the best chance to win each given day. Playing Gillies over a real NHL or AHL player is inexcusable.

JPIsles21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 11:17 AM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:

If anything, I find this concerning. Laying an egg this early in the season is unacceptable. No doubt, John Tavares is carrying his line. He had a strong game last night, and his position on the team is secure. But the rest of the guys are practically lucky to be in the NHL. So they should really keep fighting to prove their worth. I can take a game like this on January 12, but not October 20. This team has a lot to prove, and they better start proving it on regular basis.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 11:47 AM
redbull
respect, earned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPIsles21 View Post

The one thing that worries me is Capuano's lineup decisions. It's a team that has produced only 2 goals outside of the top line (2/10 goals) coming into last night's game. A team that is not yet functioning well offensively cannot scratch a legitimate NHLer for Gillies. But it's not the fact that Comeau is scratched that is bothering me, it's wasting a roster spot on an enforcer against teams that do not carry one (Rangers and Lightning). You cannot afford to waste a potential source of production for a waste of space type of player.

This is an example of overcoaching in my opinion. I'm not sure what Comeau did, but not replacing his production in the lineup is inexcusable. In no other sport would this be acceptable. It's equivalent of a MLB team benching their struggling 2B for a pitcher, or an NFL team plugging in their backup center to replace their struggling starting tight end.

With the way the Isles played last night, it probably would not have made a difference. But you need to give your team the best chance to win each given day. Playing Gillies over a real NHL or AHL player is inexcusable.
I agree that it probably wouldn't have made a difference last night, and I would have put Comeau back in for sure. One game on the bench sends the same message as two, I'd think. Unless something else is going on, what if he sits 3 or 4 games in a row?

On Gillies, as I said in another thread, he didn't replace Comeau. Gillies got the same minutes he always gets, he's a non-factor IF ALL GOES WELL. Comeau's minutes went to other players, mostly Okposo.

What irritates me is that if Gillies is going to dress AT ALL, and the team comes out SO FLAT. At least have him (or Martin) try and stir something up to get some life on the bench. I'm not one for using fighting as a tactic to motivate a team BUT AT LEAST TRY it, especially if you choose to dress someone like Gillies who brings NOTHING to the table EXCEPT that.

Anyway, I wont fuss any more about it. It was simply a really bad game and let's put it behind us and move forward.

Just irritating.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 02:55 PM
JPIsles21

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
I agree that it probably wouldn't have made a difference last night, and I would have put Comeau back in for sure. One game on the bench sends the same message as two, I'd think. Unless something else is going on, what if he sits 3 or 4 games in a row?

On Gillies, as I said in another thread, he didn't replace Comeau. Gillies got the same minutes he always gets, he's a non-factor IF ALL GOES WELL. Comeau's minutes went to other players, mostly Okposo.

What irritates me is that if Gillies is going to dress AT ALL, and the team comes out SO FLAT. At least have him (or Martin) try and stir something up to get some life on the bench. I'm not one for using fighting as a tactic to motivate a team BUT AT LEAST TRY it, especially if you choose to dress someone like Gillies who brings NOTHING to the table EXCEPT that.

Anyway, I wont fuss any more about it. It was simply a really bad game and let's put it behind us and move forward.

Just irritating.
I agree. It's not so much the game I'm irritated with, but rather the philosophy behind setting the lineup. A team looking for flow and consistency from lines 2 and 3 has no business trying to double shift players. The Lightning had 12 NHL forwards on the bench. We had 11. That is a disadvantage.

JPIsles21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 03:25 PM
islandersfreak21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
I agree, however I'm extremely concerned as well. I watch other teams games on a regular basis and I never really see a team that has such a complete lack of effort. It's simply DISTURBING.

It's also my biggest pet peeve in sports, you CANNOT win if you don't have any compete level. If they can come out Saturday and play a full 60 minutes of hockey, then I won't be nearly as concerned as I am right now. The lack of forecheck this season is what is worrying me the most, as a forecheck is the biggest measure of effort you can get in hockey.

They need to up the aggressiveness in there game, they need to bring back Comeau for the sake of scoring, figure out some lines, and bring up Haley. Somebody in the locker room needs to pick them up off their ***** and tell them to play harder.
Good point. What worries me is when they need to win to get in the playoffs at the end of the season you don't just turn your game. you can fix the D or offense with a trade, but it is hard to fix the intensity you play with every game.

islandersfreak21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 03:40 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Posted this in the GDT, sorry for the redundancy.

Seems like we are trying to minimize a loss here. It's one thing to lose b/c the team is outclassed in talent/outskilled (in terms of offense, Tampa is superior), but it's another when the team plays apathetic and doesn't even give themselves a chance to win with that effort. That kind of flatness is unacceptable, despite personnel, age, inexperience; we are raising the bar here (even as fans, in terms of our expectations), so we can expect a better game-by-game effort. Over the first 2-3 years of this rebuild, output like this could be justified "young teams are inconsistent," but at this stage NYI is accountable for putting forth a balanced effort, even if they may not be the most talented bunch.

Of coarse the team will not always be 100% consistent in their effort or be at PEAK intensity, both unrealistic, there's latitude/fluctuation; these are human beings that operate individually within a system. However, it's not asking much to see some degree of intensity on a gamely basis; and frankly, we haven't seen that.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 03:54 PM
Sammy2010*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPIsles21 View Post

It pretty much sums it up if you choose to ignore the fact that the team has played almost 3 full games like that. It is not just one game.

Sammy2010* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 03:55 PM
ScaredStreit

They didn't have a that spark (for lack of a better term) last night. They also need to get more aggressive.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 05:17 PM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Technically, Parenteau is producing as well and as sad is it is to hear for some of us hear, he's also been noticeably the second best forward on this team. He works hard and creates opportunities more than anyone up front other than Tavares right now.

On the other hand, I can't WAIT until Bailey is out there with Comeau and Niederreiter.
agree on pa. he is putting in exactly the effort that is lacking with most others. he might not be the most gifted or toughest, but he is bringing a lot of heart to the top line

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 05:23 PM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
I'm concerned with the lack of intensity from the Grabner-Nielsen-Okposo line, JT's and Reasoner's lines do what they have to do and Bailey's line is well there but is a mess.

Okposo looks like he's out there still celebrating his new contract. There is not one ounce grit or determination that is going through him during any shift. Grabner looks like he doesn't want to get his hands dirty and is just hanging out waiting for his chance at a breakway and Nielsen just looks like he has no clue what he's doing. This second line needs to be broken up.

Even though Comeau is a mess at least he's working hard every shift, same for Bailey. Rolston should be taking a seat in the press box when Nino comes back and I wouldn't think twice about scratching Grabner or Okposo for a game so they take the hint.
other teams are talking alot of care to disturb our second line. I wonder is the first lines improved production could have been affected by that? what do you think?

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 05:44 PM
Yitz

It's been five games and people are already extremely worried? It's a marathon not a sprint, let this team get their legs. This is a young team, keep that in mind. The Islanders will get their **** together and we'll see many more games like the one against the Rangers.

Yitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 07:35 PM
HookeyPookey*

rewatching the game alot of circumstances where the TBL player just seemed to what it more than the Islanders guy

HookeyPookey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 08:20 PM
Hip Of Rick

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yitz View Post
It's been five games and people are already extremely worried? It's a marathon not a sprint, let this team get their legs. This is a young team, keep that in mind. The Islanders will get their **** together and we'll see many more games like the one against the Rangers.
The reason everyone is worried is that this team has showed zero emotion in all 5 games including those that they won. More reason to worry is that this team has been a lotto team for the past 3 years and has basically the same roster as those 3 teams. Snow failed to address the team during the off season and this may be another long long year

Hip Of Rick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 08:50 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Of Rick View Post
The reason everyone is worried is that this team has showed zero emotion in all 5 games including those that they won. More reason to worry is that this team has been a lotto team for the past 3 years and has basically the same roster as those 3 teams. Snow failed to address the team during the off season and this may be another long long year
I saw minimal emotion in game 1, moderate in 2, high in 3 and 4, and minimal in 5.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 08:52 PM
Hip Of Rick

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedIsles View Post
I saw minimal emotion in game 1, moderate in 2, high in 3 and 4, and minimal in 5.
The only game that they played with any real energy was the Ranger game. Tampa gifted them the first game with awful defense. The Isles forced turnovers but also got physically outmatched during that game.

Hip Of Rick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:23 PM
El Big Cubano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yitz View Post
Pretty much this. Also having 4 days off between games probably didn't do us any favors. It's gonna take some time, the season is still young. I'll start to worry if the team plays like this 20-30 games into the season.

El Big Cubano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 01:25 AM
number72

Now is the time to see how good the islanders are. We started off hot and I'm curious about Florida, they look quite decent. It looks like not only have the Islanders improved but so have a number of teams.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 01:48 AM
Bauer Warrior*

"It's just one game"

If I didn't just see this argument again on IPB, maybe I'd be able to get over it, but this logic doesn't fly with me. First off, the Islanders aren't good enough to have a dud like last night, or like opening night, in the first half-dozen games of the season. And this wasn't just any game, this was also a litmus test for the Islanders, and one that they failed miserably.

They beat the same Lightning squad handely just one week earlier. They had to know that the Lightning would come out guns ablazin' looking to make amends. And the Islanders came out flat. Some want to blame Capuano, but he can't take the ice and play the game for them. "Just one game" is an Islander apologist making an effort to rationalize the team's meek efforts in an October game.

People need to relax. Well, no they don't. If teams are indicative of their fans, which I believe they can be, this is why the Islanders blow. Why should fans "relax" and accept defeat. This aint the stock market, we can't just simply hope to recover from a bad day. Islander fans can be such disgusting rationalizers, and really, it seems to trickle down to the team. I'm not ok with this team losing, and I don't know why any fan would be. We're supposed to be on the upswing, but yesterday's performance, and this season's comparable start to last season, shows me that this team has learned nothing from last year.

Wait til Nino comes back. Are we serious about this? We're going to pin our hopes of success on a 19 year old? A 19 year old who should probably be spending another season in junior, nonetheless? Yeah, try to sell me on that one. Because if he struggles, I'll hear the same nonsense that I hear about Josh Bailey, but in this case, Neidereitter is "only 19" opposed to, "only 22".

And please, when the hell are people going to stop apologizing for Josh Bailey. God damn, last year he was "only 21", and this year he's, "only 22"... except for the fact that this year, he's "only 22", but worse than he was when he was "only 21". For fudge sake, he's still coughing up pucks with no one checking him between his own hash marks!! Is that "Strong defensive play" in the apologists estimation? I've seen him do it far more than once. Let me ask you apologists this, if he were drafted in the 3rd round, and Travis Hamonic drafted 9th overall, would you insulate Bailey the way you do? I'm tired of the guy. I said all last season, trade him while you can play the "potential card", but guess what, that's EXPIRED!!! Now you really will get nothing for him, because into his 4th season, the whole league knows that he sucks!!! God damn, why should we be patient with this guy? Why is trading him "Milburyish", as some have argued? The guy is no good. He flat out stinks. And let me ask you apologists this, are you more interested in coddling your precious #1 draft picks, or are you more interested in seeing a team that wins hockey games? Be patient with Bailey, phhhhh!!! yeah, and while you're at it, be patient with that girl who's trying to decide between you and the other guy she's bangin!! I'll tell you what, she aint going to pick you.

This is not Pee-Wee rec league. "Only one game" is not in any way acceptable. This team needs to show passion. With few exceptions, they didn't do that last night. Thye don't throw their weight around, except for Matt Martin. This team still needs a great deal of adjustijng. If the team we see right now is the same team we see in a month, I'm sure we'll see another miserable December, and another look towards every Islander fan's favorite event, THE DRAFT LOTTERY!!!! Where we get, MORE HOPE FOR THE FUTURE!!!! But, it's become the Islander way, "Live in the past, play for the future, rationalize the present."

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 04:37 AM
Sammy2010*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer Warrior View Post
If I didn't just see this argument again on IPB, maybe I'd be able to get over it, but this logic doesn't fly with me. First off, the Islanders aren't good enough to have a dud like last night, or like opening night, in the first half-dozen games of the season. And this wasn't just any game, this was also a litmus test for the Islanders, and one that they failed miserably.

They beat the same Lightning squad handely just one week earlier. They had to know that the Lightning would come out guns ablazin' looking to make amends. And the Islanders came out flat. Some want to blame Capuano, but he can't take the ice and play the game for them. "Just one game" is an Islander apologist making an effort to rationalize the team's meek efforts in an October game.

People need to relax. Well, no they don't. If teams are indicative of their fans, which I believe they can be, this is why the Islanders blow. Why should fans "relax" and accept defeat. This aint the stock market, we can't just simply hope to recover from a bad day. Islander fans can be such disgusting rationalizers, and really, it seems to trickle down to the team. I'm not ok with this team losing, and I don't know why any fan would be. We're supposed to be on the upswing, but yesterday's performance, and this season's comparable start to last season, shows me that this team has learned nothing from last year.

Wait til Nino comes back. Are we serious about this? We're going to pin our hopes of success on a 19 year old? A 19 year old who should probably be spending another season in junior, nonetheless? Yeah, try to sell me on that one. Because if he struggles, I'll hear the same nonsense that I hear about Josh Bailey, but in this case, Neidereitter is "only 19" opposed to, "only 22".

And please, when the hell are people going to stop apologizing for Josh Bailey. God damn, last year he was "only 21", and this year he's, "only 22"... except for the fact that this year, he's "only 22", but worse than he was when he was "only 21". For fudge sake, he's still coughing up pucks with no one checking him between his own hash marks!! Is that "Strong defensive play" in the apologists estimation? I've seen him do it far more than once. Let me ask you apologists this, if he were drafted in the 3rd round, and Travis Hamonic drafted 9th overall, would you insulate Bailey the way you do? I'm tired of the guy. I said all last season, trade him while you can play the "potential card", but guess what, that's EXPIRED!!! Now you really will get nothing for him, because into his 4th season, the whole league knows that he sucks!!! God damn, why should we be patient with this guy? Why is trading him "Milburyish", as some have argued? The guy is no good. He flat out stinks. And let me ask you apologists this, are you more interested in coddling your precious #1 draft picks, or are you more interested in seeing a team that wins hockey games? Be patient with Bailey, phhhhh!!! yeah, and while you're at it, be patient with that girl who's trying to decide between you and the other guy she's bangin!! I'll tell you what, she aint going to pick you.

This is not Pee-Wee rec league. "Only one game" is not in any way acceptable. This team needs to show passion. With few exceptions, they didn't do that last night. Thye don't throw their weight around, except for Matt Martin. This team still needs a great deal of adjustijng. If the team we see right now is the same team we see in a month, I'm sure we'll see another miserable December, and another look towards every Islander fan's favorite event, THE DRAFT LOTTERY!!!! Where we get, MORE HOPE FOR THE FUTURE!!!! But, it's become the Islander way, "Live in the past, play for the future, rationalize the present."
It isn't only one game like the apologists are trying to spin it. It is nearly 3 games of lifeless hockey. From a team that is SUPPOSED to young and hungry, and playoff bound. The excuses do not cut it anymore. Bailey is not fine, KO is not fine, DP is not going to come back and carry them, and as you said 19 year old Nino is not going to come in and carry the team on his shoulders either. It is ridiculous to think that. There is no real demand to win from the owner to the staff, to many of the players, down to many of the fans. But hey, they might get some more "good" picks that will all be penciled in as sure things. If things do not turn around quickly the team's owner and GM has been a huge failure. But Snow get praised like he has actually accomplished something. He has not, because anyone can sit around and continue to pick bottom five over and over.

Sammy2010* is offline   Reply With Quote