HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Love for Quick!

Old
10-21-2011, 12:41 AM
Shellz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
In what world is Quick a one hit wonder??
I dont think he is saying that. He is just stating what might make a 10 goalie. But if he is, he obviously doesnt know who Quick is.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 12:46 AM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyros View Post
St.Louis game may have been 5-0 on paper, but it could have EASILY been a 5-4 game, even a loss, if it weren't for Quick.
... Quick got quite a few fortunate bounces in that game, even the Kings' broadcasters commented on that. I don't see how the Blues score anywhere near four goals in that game if they face even decent goaltending. Where were the great saves Quick had to make in that one?

Same thing in tonight's game, Quick made two really good saves on low shots - if those shots are not low, they're in the net. Otherwise, the Kings played very good defense, prevented high-quality chances, and the Coyotes missed the net a lot.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 12:48 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... Quick got quite a few fortunate bounces in that game, even the Kings' broadcasters commented on that. I don't see how the Blues score anywhere near four goals in that game if they face even decent goaltending. Where were the great saves Quick had to make in that one?

Same thing in tonight's game, Quick made two really good saves on low shots - if those shots are not low, they're in the net. Otherwise, the Kings played very good defense, prevented high-quality chances, and the Coyotes missed the net a lot.
Still whining? LOL, yes, Quick is mediocre, and hell even Martin Jones should be in the show above him, gotcha.

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 12:52 AM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
yes, Quick is mediocre
... Pretty much. As for the rest of your post, have fun making up more things.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 01:01 AM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

no such thing as jinx.

Seanconn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 01:35 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 1076
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
It's not like this kid has been a flash in the pan. He's been good over multiple years and is doing it again thus far this season. Why all the bernier talk? I don't understand, what does Quick have to do to get people to believe? Kid is easily a top 5 goalie in the league.
Quick is a good goaltender, possibly even an underrated goalie, but he is not a top 5 goaltender in the league at this point. In the Pacific alone, there's one, maybe two goalies who you could definitely make a case for being better than Quick(Hiller and Lehtonen).

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 01:38 AM
RomersWorld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty View Post
Yeah but, Price has actually done something in the postseason, with a much ****tier team than LA.

Price > Quick quite easily.
Quote:
So now the Kings have been a terrible team? Good to know.

Fact is, other goalies like Price, Fleury, and Miller have done something in the play offs and proven themselves, which is why I think they are better.

And if you try to argue Montreal, or recently Buffalo > LA, you're out of your minds.
Wait, what has Price done in the playoffs recently? Am I missing something?

Price got to the 2nd round like 5 years ago when he was a rookie. OMGz!!

RomersWorld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 01:45 AM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Quick is a good goaltender, possibly even an underrated goalie, but he is not a top 5 goaltender in the league at this point. In the Pacific alone, there's one, maybe two goalies who you could definitely make a case for being better than Quick(Hiller and Lehtonen).
Hiller, sure. But, Lehtonen is going to have to do more to be considered better than Quick.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 01:56 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 1076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
Hiller, sure. But, Lehtonen is going to have to do more to be considered better than Quick.
Lehtonen was the maybe. I think Lehtonen at his best is better than Quick's best, but he also needs to show that he can play well consistently... which isn't so different than what Quick needs to do, really.

The point is that, I think, most people would look at Hiller as solidly being a top 10 goaltender and perhaps a borderline top 5 when he's healthy. He might make some lists, and he might just miss out on others, but you could probably consider him an honorable mention. If Hiller is borderline, Quick is definitely not top 5. Not at this point. It's not a knock on Quick. He's definitely a good goaltender. But "easily" top 5? Not a chance.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 02:00 AM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

vCash: 50
Top 5? Not even close. He is is top 15 goalie right now, but he does have a lot of potential

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 02:04 AM
Scottkmlps

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post

Quick made a couple solid stops when the team needed him to. You obviously watch him with a bias. The Coyotes might've missed the net a lot, but they also put 28 on Quick, who stopped them ALL. Oh, but according to you the Coyotes shooters didn't get off the shots they wanted, and that it was because the Kings played very good defense. Keep grasping at straws.

Your hatred for Quick and love for Bernier is comical.

Scottkmlps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 02:16 AM
LiquidSnake*
Agent of Chaos...

Quick chokes in the playoffs.

LiquidSnake* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 02:46 AM
Brent Burns
TROTZTROTZTROTZTROTZ

Dude has been getting a ton of praise on here for the last 2 seasons, what are you talking about?

Brent Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 02:47 AM
Brent Burns
TROTZTROTZTROTZTROTZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Quick chokes in the playoffs.
LOL? Quick was a beast against the Sharks last playoffs

Brent Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 03:04 AM
LiquidSnake*
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Burns View Post
LOL? Quick was a beast against the Sharks last playoffs
3.16 GAA & 913 Save %.

That's not a beast.

LiquidSnake* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 03:48 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
3.16 GAA & 913 Save %.

That's not a beast.
There were a few high scoring games, including one complete meltdown and several OT's. If you play only 6 PO games, than such a GAA happens. 3.16 GAA and a 913% should tell you something. I'm sure you have not seen much of the series at all otherwise you wouldnt say this. Two years ago against the Canucks, Quick just was not very good. Pretty bad actually. Last year he was excellent.

He certainly is not a top5 goalie in the league.

Like somebody said, he needs to succeed in the playoffs otherwise it useless to call him the next best thing and he wont gain much respect. Not that people dont respect him much now, but Quick is Quick, who cares about him. Yet people need to realize the Kings just have started. Somebody said he is waiting for the Kings to succeed for 4 years already ? Not sure what he has been watching. 4 years ago the Kings were still an average team. The last two years they have been a PO team.

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 03:59 AM
Vic Vinegar

Quote:
3.16 GAA & 913 Save %.

That's not a beast.
Considering the team in front of him didn't even deserve to be in the playoffs (last year's Kings without Kopitar is not a playoff team...at all) and they were playing the eventual Western Conference finalists, I'd say those numbers are actually pretty damn good. Even Tim Thomas couldn't have carried that team.

But really, who bases their entire argument on stats? Try watching some games before you spew your nonsense.

Vic Vinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 04:14 AM
Slimjim94

Quote:
Yeah but, Price has actually done something in the postseason, with a much ****tier team than LA.

Oh, and Fleury has a Cup, and Miller has gone deep in the play offs too...

See the trend?
Price is not better than Quick, stay up past bedtime and you'll find out soon enough.

Slimjim94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 07:26 AM
GuineaPig

I think it's generally better to base your argument on stats.

And Quick didn't play that well against SJ at all last year. But it was only 6 games; such sample sizes don't tell you much about a goalie's (or any player's) proclivity for playoff performance.

GuineaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 08:15 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuineaPig View Post

And Quick didn't play that well against SJ at all last year. But it was only 6 games; such sample sizes don't tell you much about a goalie's (or any player's) proclivity for playoff performance.
Niemi was pulled two times vs the Kings and finally went to the Western Conference finals. Quick played excellent, and was playing golf after 6 games.

That's how things can go.

If people dont think he was pretty good vs the Sharks, that's possible but now we have come to the point that he didnt play "that well". Than I just dont know what to say anymore.

Old
10-21-2011, 08:24 AM
GuineaPig

He played OK. He was average. Niemi was pretty bad. But Niemi's performance doesn't make Quick's better.

I don't get those who say Quick played terrible or was the primary cause of his team's defeat, but let's not pretend he was anything more than OK.

GuineaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 08:46 AM
gambitlebo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuineaPig View Post

Did you watch any of the series? I'm not attacking, just an honest question because a lot of the posters didn't and haven't.

You said Quick didn't play well against San Jose but if you back and research those games you will see that:

Game 1, San Jose won 3-2 (OT). 3rd star of the game was Quick.
Game 2, Kings won 4-0. 2nd star of the game was Quick.
Game 5, Kings won 3-1. 1st star of the game was Quick.

Games 3 and 4, both goalies struggled as the score was 6-5 and 6-3. To be a "star" in half the series, on a team without their leading offensive player is far from "having a bad series".

I'm not saying Quick is top 5, 10 or 15. All I care is if he wins the game.

gambitlebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 08:50 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
you need to carry a team in the playoffs to be considered a top 10 goalie?.
ummm, yeah! that's how Osgood became a top 10 goalie when he played...

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:09 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambitlebo View Post
Did you watch any of the series? I'm not attacking, just an honest question because a lot of the posters didn't and haven't.

You said Quick didn't play well against San Jose but if you back and research those games you will see that:

Game 1, San Jose won 3-2 (OT). 3rd star of the game was Quick.
Game 2, Kings won 4-0. 2nd star of the game was Quick.
Game 5, Kings won 3-1. 1st star of the game was Quick.

Games 3 and 4, both goalies struggled as the score was 6-5 and 6-3. To be a "star" in half the series, on a team without their leading offensive player is far from "having a bad series".

I'm not saying Quick is top 5, 10 or 15. All I care is if he wins the game.
That's my problem too. Too many people pretend they have watched this series and than share their opinion.

Like I still remember how Price played in the 1st round...

Even in that ridiculous 6-5 win for San Jose, yeah it would have been nice if Quick had stopped one of those shots, but cant really blame him for any of those goals.

Old
10-21-2011, 09:23 AM
JAS 39 Gripen

Quote:

Oh, and Fleury has a Cup, and Miller has gone deep in the play offs too...

See the trend?
...when did Price do anything good in the playoffs?

JAS 39 Gripen is offline   Reply With Quote