HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Love for Quick!

Old
10-21-2011, 10:27 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

vCash: 500
whatever happened to bernier?

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:28 AM
JAS 39 Gripen

Price has got to be the most overrated goalie on HD. Loungo dosnt count b/c every HF poster knows he sucks, except nucks fans

Btw, Quick rocks

JAS 39 Gripen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:29 AM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

Quick is a great goalie, definitely top 15, possibly top 10. However, he does get the benefit of playing in a Terry Murray system and behind the Kings D. Still a very good goalie, but not top 5.

Vinegar Strokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:35 AM
GuineaPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3 View Post
That's my problem too. Too many people pretend they have watched this series and than share their opinion.

Like I still remember how Price played in the 1st round...

Even in that ridiculous 6-5 win for San Jose, yeah it would have been nice if Quick had stopped one of those shots, but cant really blame him for any of those goals.
Eh, I think watching a series is overrated. I watched a couple of games (1st, 2nd, and 5th, iirc), and it wasn't terrifically exciting.

I think looking at the stats after the fact is generally a better way of assessing things, at least for goalies. I realize that stats don't tell the whole story, but so does watching things entirely. There are a number of observational biases, selective memory, hindsight bias, and all other sorts of things that also impair an objective evaluation.

The last paragraph is a good example. You say you can't blame Quick for any of the goals, but odds are the average goalie stops 2 or 3 of them. Hell, Hockey Numbers only has San Jose at 2.8 expected goals for that game. And that game itself may have just been an extremely unlucky game for Quick and Niemi. There are plenty of things watching a game won't tell you, or will confuse you on.

GuineaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:35 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS 39 Gripen View Post
Price has got to be the most overrated goalie on HD. Loungo dosnt count b/c every HF poster knows he sucks, except nucks fans

Btw, Quick rocks
Not really, price is a very talented goalie and when he is on his game, the habs usually win.

Old
10-21-2011, 10:38 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
whatever happened to bernier?
Nothing really, he's the back-up. Quick had a shoutout vs the Blues and of course got the start last night again and recorded another shut out. I think he plays on Saturday again otherwise I had expected Bernier between the pipes.

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:41 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuineaPig View Post
Eh, I think watching a series is overrated. I watched a couple of games (1st, 2nd, and 5th, iirc), and it wasn't terrifically exciting.

I think looking at the stats after the fact is generally a better way of assessing things, at least for goalies. I realize that stats don't tell the whole story, but so does watching things entirely. There are a number of observational biases, selective memory, hindsight bias, and all other sorts of things that also impair an objective evaluation.

The last paragraph is a good example. You say you can't blame Quick for any of the goals, but odds are the average goalie stops 2 or 3 of them. Hell, Hockey Numbers only has San Jose at 2.8 expected goals for that game. And that game itself may have just been an extremely unlucky game for Quick and Niemi. There are plenty of things watching a game won't tell you, or will confuse you on.
If you like to watch the stats, than why dont you give him any credit for being one of the stars in three of his 6 games and a .913 SV%.

Old
10-21-2011, 10:44 AM
GuineaPig

Quote:
If you like to watch the stats, than why dont you give him any credit for being one of the stars in three of his 6 games and a .913 SV%.
Because W/L splits for goalies tend to be severe (thus making them likely for a star in any game they win), and 0.913 is below-average (especially considering that his EV Sv% was 0.898).

Old
10-21-2011, 10:46 AM
NastyNate17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
Quick is criminally underrated, he is a top 10 goalie. Just look at the kids stats for the past few years.
Agreed.

NastyNate17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:47 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Nothing really, he's the back-up. Quick had a shoutout vs the Blues and of course got the start last night again and recorded another shut out. I think he plays on Saturday again otherwise I had expected Bernier between the pipes.
Ah okay, is he still going to push you guys to be the starter sooner than later?

Old
Martyros

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... Quick got quite a few fortunate bounces in that game, even the Kings' broadcasters commented on that. I don't see how the Blues score anywhere near four goals in that game if they face even decent goaltending. Where were the great saves Quick had to make in that one?

Same thing in tonight's game, Quick made two really good saves on low shots - if those shots are not low, they're in the net. Otherwise, the Kings played very good defense, prevented high-quality chances, and the Coyotes missed the net a lot.
Oh really? How many times did he have slide across to make a save? The only "fortunate" bounce I saw was when the Blues player threw the puck towards the goal while behind the net and it went far right. You know why he stopped so many bounces? becuase he was in POSITION. Those "fortunate" bounces you're talking about, could have gone in very easily if he wasn't in position. Stop hating, go support the Ducks.

Martyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Because W/L splits for goalies tend to be severe (thus making them likely for a star in any game they win), and 0.913 is below-average (especially considering that his EV Sv% was 0.898).
Well thanks for you input but you should have told me earlier that you think a .913% sv is below-average. Than I wouldnt have wasted so much time on you.

Old
Sundance
You Can Never Get To

Imagine the love for Bernier if he had Quick's numbers right now? 0.96 gaa and a .967 save%.
Quick is already a great goalie. And he may only get better. He might not get any love until he's either hoisting 'The Cup' or a Vezina. Both of which are very possible for him, and soon!

Sundance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:49 AM
GuineaPig

Quote:
Well thanks for you input but you should have told me earlier that you think a .913% sv is below-average. Than I wouldnt have wasted so much time on you.
The average save percentage in the '11 playoffs was 0.916.

Old
10-21-2011, 10:52 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Ah okay, is he still going to push you guys to be the starter sooner than later?
I have my doubts. I like it for now though. Because he's the back-up, Quick knows he needs to keep it up.

Old
10-21-2011, 11:10 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
The average save percentage in the '11 playoffs was 0.916.
Who cares about average save percentage, when a few goalies had insane numbers over a large number of playoff games.

Only 7 goalies who played as much as Quick or more had a higher SV% in last year's playoffs.

Old
10-21-2011, 11:14 AM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendsForever View Post
Congrats to Quick for his shutout and 100th win. Fastest King to 100 wins by huge margin! 53 games! Quick has to lead the league in all goalie stats save wins right now.
2nd in wins, 14th in shots against, 2nd in goals against (1st is the most oddest stat in the world 0.95 goals against but the goalie is 1-3), 1st in save%.

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 11:22 AM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

I think Quick is underrated. Top 5 goalie? Not right now. Top 10? I think so. It's great to see him playing lights out this year (after the first shaky game). I think people need to watch him more.

Oh, and people talking about playoffs. Before last year's playoffs, everyone was singing Rinne's praise. He put up similar numbers up until that point in his career. He (Rinne) was lights out last year, why can't Quick be this year? Rinne is also 28 (will be 29 in a week or so), Quick is 25 (won't be 26 until January).

Now, I think Rinne is the better goalie right now. I'm just giving an example of a goalie who got a lot of hype before he won in the playoffs. If I'm not mistaken, in 09-10, he lost in the first round.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 11:24 AM
zeus3007*

There are few goalies who get talked about on a regular basis. Carey Price, James Reimer when he had his unexpected break out, Luongo (in a bad way), Lundqvist, and the Vezina nominees are about it. Just because Quick doesn't dominate the topics on HF doesn't mean nobody thinks he's a decent goalie. Why no love for Cam Ward? Why no love for Ryan Miller? Why no love for (insert most goalies names here)?

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 11:29 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
There are few goalies who get talked about on a regular basis. Carey Price, James Reimer when he had his unexpected break out, Luongo (in a bad way), Lundqvist, and the Vezina nominees are about it. Just because Quick doesn't dominate the topics on HF doesn't mean nobody thinks he's a decent goalie. Why no love for Cam Ward? Why no love for Ryan Miller? Why no love for (insert most goalies names here)?
Agreed, this 'why no love' is kinda *** anyway.

Old
10-21-2011, 11:41 AM
JalapenoPeppa*

Great goalie. Most people probably wouldn't have him in the top 5 though.

JalapenoPeppa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 11:41 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
I think it's generally better to base your argument on stats.

And Quick didn't play that well against SJ at all last year. But it was only 6 games; such sample sizes don't tell you much about a goalie's (or any player's) proclivity for playoff performance.
actually Quick played very well in the playoffs last year, against Vancouver the year before, not so much

Quote:

If you had watched the 6-5 game, or even just watched the highlights now, you would see that all 6 of the goals are cross ice 1 timers that Quick has no chance on because the defense infront of him is just chasing shadows

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 11:54 AM
Yog S'loth

Until they win something in the playoffs, no King is going to get much credit. Quick will be a mediocre goalie, Kopitar will be a 2nd-line center, Brown will be a talentless hack, etc. Only Doughty gets any love because he was good in the Olympics a few years ago, and people on the East Coast actually watched that.

Yog S'loth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 12:02 PM
GuineaPig

Quote:
Who cares about average save percentage, when a few goalies had insane numbers over a large number of playoff games.

Only 7 goalies who played as much as Quick or more had a higher SV% in last year's playoffs.
Uhh, you said 0.913 wasn't below-average. I responded that it was, because 0.916 was the average save percentage in the playoffs. Then you counter with the fact that Quick was 8th out of 16 starting goalies in the playoffs in save percentage, thereby proving he was not average.

?

Old
10-21-2011, 01:40 PM
PWB
Dreaming of Donuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yog S'loth View Post
Until they win something in the playoffs, no King is going to get much credit. Quick will be a mediocre goalie, Kopitar will be a 2nd-line center, Brown will be a talentless hack, etc. Only Doughty gets any love because he was good in the Olympics a few years ago, and people on the East Coast actually watched that.
There you go. Maybe it's because they have been wanting so long between the pipes, but, if you're a Kings' fan, this duo is the golden ticket.

PWB is offline   Reply With Quote