HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

3 Stars & GBR: Game 05 @ Calgary Flames

View Poll Results: 3 Stars?
Artem Anisimov 1 0.57%
Brian Boyle 8 4.60%
Ryan Callahan 2 1.15%
Michael Del Zotto 1 0.57%
Brandon Dubinsky 19 10.92%
Tim Erixon 45 25.86%
Ruslan Fedotenko 1 0.57%
Marian Gaborik 101 58.05%
Dan Girardi 14 8.05%
Henrik Lundqvist 119 68.39%
Ryan McDonagh 76 43.68%
Brandon Prust 79 45.40%
Brad Richards 4 2.30%
Derek Stepan 2 1.15%
Other 1 0.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-21-2011, 06:29 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Woywitka is not a bad player. He was a good player for the Stars last season until Marc Crawford used him too much. #6-#7. Don't expect him to be more than that. Seems like a good guy. Richards probably vouched for him. The Rangers talked to Woywitka in the summer but he signed with Montreal. Signed to an affordable two way contract.

Quote:
Soon after being claimed by the injury-depleted Rangers last week, Defenseman Jeff Woywitka received a text from friend Brad Richards.

Richards, Woywitka’s former teammate in Dallas, welcomed him to the team and told him he’s going to love being in the big city.

The bright lights of Broadway may be an adjustment for the 28-year-old – Woywitka grew up on a farm in Alberta – but he’s thrilled to begin anew after being waived by Montreal last Wednesday.

“It felt like ‘Here’s my chance’,” he said. “I get to go here and know a few people. And it’s a fresh start.”

Woywitka, who finished with two goals and 9 assists in 63 games with the stars last season, said him and agent Don Meehan discussed signing with the Rangers this summer. That didn’t work out; he signed a two-way deal with the Canadiens instead and failed to crack the roster out of camp.
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/hoc...to-fresh-start

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 06:36 AM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

I voted for McD purely because of the game winner, but I agree he did not have a great game..I don't think he was as awful as some people are making him out to be, but he clearly missed that one clearing attempt in the 3rd in the Rangers zone that lead to a Calgary turnover, that Henrik had to make a pretty good save on.

If I could re-do it, I would have voted for Prust over McD.

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 07:20 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
So get this. We beat the buzzer against an alberta team to win it. Meanwhile the wild do the same thing against edmonton to force OT both games had 0.5 left on the clock...both losing teams are from alberta....

I find that pretty creepy yet awesome at the same time.

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 08:36 AM
mullichicken25

For anyone interested, here's my two cents

Good:
- The emergance of a forecheck...absolutely crucial to our teams play and has been horrid for the first few games. Backing their dmen up and generating turn overs down low is literally the most imporant aspect of this offense, glad to see it. You could see their dmen freeze up below their goal line and cough the puck up.

- I dont know who that imposter was wearing #10 last season but gaborik is back...god damn

- Dont look now but Del Zotto is playing very, very good. I've been watching him like a hawk when he's on the ice and he's night and day compaired to last season. Doing a lot of little things very well that go unnoticed. Been significantly better and more physical along the boards and in front of the net. Making smart decisions offensively as well

- Erixon's best game as a ranger...hands down

- Anisimov is very good. Not a lot of players keep playing going like he does. He constantly creates turnovers as the other team is moving the puck up the ice between the hashmarks and blueline. If dubi and cally could burry the puck they would have a hell of a year with the oprituities AA will create

- Boyles forecheck and pass to prust on the short handed goal...flippin awesome and not getting enough recognition for an awesome play

Bad:
- McDonough's McTurnovoughs. As he gradually reduces the amount of them he will be come more and more of an impact player. I'm still in awe when i watch him skate

- Breakdowns. For the most part we outplayed the flames and controled the game. But for every 5min where we were in control there was 1min that was a complete cluster-F where everyone pretty much just holds their breath and waits for hank to save the day. That'll kill us in close games. That will also be less of a factor when Staal's back...God built that kid to take control of plays down low in his own zone

The Redden:
- My DVR for stopping right as we took that delay of game penalty at the end of the 3rd

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 08:56 AM
DrSutton*
Given Up

I think until Staal comes back, McDonaugh is gonna have these brain fart nights from time to time. He's never played minutes this hard against this type of competition in his life, and he's been thrust into that role of #2 dman and performed admirably. Its great experience for him, but you can tell his tired (at least he was last night). Once Staal is back and sauer as well, he can have reduced time & responsibility, but still have that big time experience. I'll deal with those type of growing pains any day of the week.

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:08 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
For anyone interested, here's my two cents

Good:
- The emergance of a forecheck...absolutely crucial to our teams play and has been horrid for the first few games. Backing their dmen up and generating turn overs down low is literally the most imporant aspect of this offense, glad to see it. You could see their dmen freeze up below their goal line and cough the puck up.
Again, my absolute favorite part of the game was seeing Bouwmeester crap himself when he saw Boyle barreling down on him. He just straight up bailed out and Boyle gets the puck, bam shorthanded goal. So hilarious.

Quote:
- Breakdowns. For the most part we outplayed the flames and controled the game. But for every 5min where we were in control there was 1min that was a complete cluster-F where everyone pretty much just holds their breath and waits for hank to save the day. That'll kill us in close games. That will also be less of a factor when Staal's back...God built that kid to take control of plays down low in his own zone
Iginla was scary all night and that's where I really noticed the Rangers missing Staal and Sauer. When your 2nd pairing is Emminger and Woywitka, things can get dicey when the opponent has the last change. They're alright, but Calgary was getting Iginla away from Girardi and McDonagh a lot and there was nothing the Rangers could do about it. Getting two of the Rangers top 4 defensemen back will be huge

edit: Just kinda noticed that Callahan was celebrating before McDonagh's shot even went in the net. He raised his arms as soon as he saw McDonagh shoot it

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:24 AM
NYRKindms

Quote:
Originally Posted by o 16 Avery NYR o View Post
anyone else think Woywitka is doing pretty well?
He had a really solid game last night. He made a very nice pass in the 3rd when he was pinned to the glass, a pretty sweet outlet to get the rangers out of the D zone.

Nice to have his size back there as well

NYRKindms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:25 AM
Chimp

I went with Hank (for being himself), Gaborik (he's ON) and Prust (what a guy).

I also agree McDonagh shouldn't be a star, not this game. Sure, he scored the game winner but had one of his worst games I can remember. Cool he's chipping in on the offense so well with his Pack line buddies though, that seems like an ongoing theme.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:52 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

This trip didn't turn out as bad after all. Keep on rollin' mofos.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:55 AM
Staals Eye
once TortsKindaGuy

All I can say is, thank God that we are starting to play like we did last year. Were not there yet, but we are getting closer and closer with every game. It will be so awesome when we get Sauer and Staal back!!!

Staals Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:58 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

I chose McD as a star because, even though he had a poor defensive game, to be able to overcome that and get the game-winner- I think that is impressive.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:59 AM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffen View Post
This trip didn't turn out as bad after all. Keep on rollin' mofos.
Easy now...still got 120 miles to go before home

Old
10-21-2011, 10:05 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Anyone else think McDonagh could actually beat Gaborik in a race? I'd like to see a best of three between those two. Gaborik would take the early lead but I think end to end McDonagh might have a chance. When he sees open ice he just flies and it's so effortless.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:09 AM
beastly115

Bad: The Pack line. Last year they were used as our 1st line at times because they were so good. This year they haven't really shown anything. This line NEEDS to click if we're going to take the next step. We can't rely on Boyle and Prust for secondary scoring all season.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:12 AM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaQUp View Post
Bad: The Pack line. Last year they were used as our 1st line at times because they were so good. This year they haven't really shown anything. This line NEEDS to click if we're going to take the next step. We can't rely on Boyle and Prust for secondary scoring all season.
I think we saw flashes of them starting to come on at the end of the game, hopefully it carries over. Dubi made two fantastic moves last night and looked very confident.

Old
10-21-2011, 10:13 AM
NYR Viper

Where has Fedotenko been? He has been invisible so far.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:18 AM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
Anyone else think McDonagh could actually beat Gaborik in a race? I'd like to see a best of three between those two. Gaborik would take the early lead but I think end to end McDonagh might have a chance. When he sees open ice he just flies and it's so effortless.
No straight line Gabby takes it. McD has great game speed, but Gabby is so fast when healthy. His speed has diminished a bit with his injuries but the guy is still a freak

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:25 AM
Rangerfans

Rangerfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:31 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I rather see Hagelin anyway.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:43 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

My thoughts:

- Brian Boyle was one of the best Rangers tonight. He created a lot with his aggressiveness. Probably his best game so far this season.

- Anisimov played excellent defense, but he's had a dreadful start to his season offensively, IMO. Where are his offensive instincts. He's another one that constantly attempts to force things in the other team's zone, and it is to his detriment. He has the ability to be patient, but he's not doing it right now.

- Dubinsky is not playing particularly well, at least not consistently. It looks like the Dubinsky we've seen most of his career, not the Dubinsky from last season. Even Callahan had a rare mediocre game last night. Something is up with that line.

- McDonagh was terrible until the end.

- Lundqvist was phenomenal. Again.

- This team really misses Staal, of course, but you can't discount how much they miss Sauer, too. He's the best outlet passer on the team right now.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:50 AM
JayMan82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
edit: Just kinda noticed that Callahan was celebrating before McDonagh's shot even went in the net. He raised his arms as soon as he saw McDonagh shoot it
I noticed that last night too bro, cracked me up!

JayMan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:56 AM
Staals Eye
once TortsKindaGuy

Quote:
I don't think hes been invisible in a bad way. He has been doing a lot of good things out there on the fore check and defensively. I just don't think it is as noticeable yet because that line is still ramping up. Same as our second line. Arty has looked good but that line isn't clicking a 100% yet. Give it time, every thing will be ok.

Staals Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:57 AM
kovazub94
Enigmatic

Quote:
Who set up Boyle's goal against Vancouver?

I don't know but I do see Feds doing the same little things he did last year that made Boyle line successful. IMHO he is the key to this line's success. Oh, and he's with Artie on PK or 4-on-4 and doing just fine.

Anyway, Torts kept lines intact for the 3rd straight game, how about them apples?

Dubi is coming on well with each game and when Cally is going to start moving in the overdrive speed as he typically does - the Pack line is going to start scoring goals again. Getting used to captaincy might be weighting him down a bit.

Many props to the whole team (even EC has been ok) while playing all games at disadvantage on the road. Being able to do the last change is big. Also, I think we should have gotten more PP time but refs once again swallowed their whistles in favor of the home team, or against the Rangers however you chose to look at it.

kovazub94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:58 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts Kinda Guy View Post
I don't think hes been invisible in a bad way. He has been doing a lot of good things out there on the fore check and defensively. I just don't think it is as noticeable yet because that line is still ramping up. Same as our second line. Arty has looked good but that line isn't clicking a 100% yet. Give it time, every thing will be ok.
I just meant that last season he was a noticeable player on a nightly basis whether it was a defensive play, or getting in on the forecheck and causing turnovers. I just havent seen it yet. That needs to be his calling card in order for him to play well. Consistently hard to play against.

Old
10-21-2011, 11:00 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovazub94 View Post
Who set up Boyle's goal against Vancouver?

I don't know but I do see Feds doing the same little things he did last year that made Boyle line successful. IMHO he is the key to this line's success. Oh, and he's with Artie on PK or 4-on-4 and doing just fine.

Anyway, Torts kept lines intact for the 3rd straight game, how about them apples?

Dubi is coming on well with each game and when Cally is going to start moving in the overdrive speed as he typically does - the Pack line is going to start scoring goals again. Getting used to captaincy might be weighting him down a bit.

Many props to the whole team (even EC has been ok) while playing all games at disadvantage on the road. Being able to do the last change is big. Also, I think we should have gotten more PP time but refs once again swallowed their whistles in favor of the home team, or against the Rangers however you chose to look at it.
Very good point. I forgot about that play to Boyle.