HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

3 Stars & GBR: Game 05 @ Calgary Flames

View Poll Results: 3 Stars?
Artem Anisimov 1 0.57%
Brian Boyle 8 4.60%
Ryan Callahan 2 1.15%
Michael Del Zotto 1 0.57%
Brandon Dubinsky 19 10.92%
Tim Erixon 45 25.86%
Ruslan Fedotenko 1 0.57%
Marian Gaborik 101 58.05%
Dan Girardi 14 8.05%
Henrik Lundqvist 119 68.39%
Ryan McDonagh 76 43.68%
Brandon Prust 79 45.40%
Brad Richards 4 2.30%
Derek Stepan 2 1.15%
Other 1 0.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-21-2011, 11:10 AM
OverTheCap

vCash: 500
Dubi and Cally played yet another game where they spent over 3 minutes killing penalties, that's far too much time for them to be playing shorthanded.

I still maintain that the Pack Line will be unable to play their best until this team stops taking so many penalties. The Rangers are averaging 25 penalty minutes a game, that's laughable. To take not one, but two, delay of game penalties last night is just shooting yourself in the foot. The biggest issue with this team thus far is their lack of discipline.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 11:20 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Dubi and Cally played yet another game where they spent over 3 minutes killing penalties, that's far too much time for them to be playing shorthanded.

I still maintain that the Pack Line will be unable to play their best until this team stops taking so many penalties. The Rangers are averaging 25 penalty minutes a game, that's laughable. To take not one, but two, delay of game penalties last night is just shooting yourself in the foot. The biggest issue with this team thus far is their lack of discipline.
I agree that while penalties have been a big momentum killer and a big problem so far, it can't all be generalized as a "lack of discipline." About 25% of all our penalties have been very questionable. And then there's the fact that we have not gotten the same calls FOR us. Off the top of my head I can think of three blatant hooks by the Sedins, the non-call on sarich's hit directly from behind on Richards, which resulted in us getting an instigator, which is the right call but it should've been evened out by the actual penalty on sarich, a few dives, and a few uncalled hooks last night. If we spent more time on the powerplay, the pack line would be better too.

Yes, we need to be better. There's no question we've taken too many penalties. I think the solution is just buildin on the last two wins and continuing to play hard aggressive hockey and hopefully the penalties will start to tip the other way and well find ourselves on the powerplay more often. A powerplay that looked really good last night. If only we could have more than one PP that we don't kill by taking a penalty, lol.

Last edited by Zuccarello Awesome*: 10-21-2011 at 11:46 AM.
Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 11:30 AM
Net Front Presence
Harvester of Sorrow

vCash: 10431
Good: Gaborik, Henrik, Prust, Erixon, Eminger, Girardi, Del Zotto. Forechecking. Overtime play.

Bad: delay of game penalties, McDonagh's turnovers in regulation

Redden: non-calls by the refs (Gabby getting hooked on the breakaway, Dubinsky getting high-sticked behind the net, etc.)

Net Front Presence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 11:51 AM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
I agree that while penalties have been a big momentum killer and a big problem so far, it can't all be generalized as a "lack of discipline." About 25% of all our penalties have been very questionable. And then there's the fact that we have not gotten the same calls FOR us. Off the top of my head I can think of three blatant hooks by the Sedins, the non-call on sarich's hit directly from behind on Richards, which resulted in us getting an instigator, which is the right call but it should've been evened out by the actual penalty on sarich, a few dives, and a few uncalled hooks last night. If we spent more time on the powerplay, the pack line would be better too.

Yes, we need to be better. There's no question we've taken too many penalties. I think the solution is just buildin on the last two wins and continuing to play hard aggressive hockey and hopefully the penalties will start to tip the other way and well find ourselves on the powerplay more often. A powerplay that looked really good last night. If only we could have more than one PP that we don't kill by taking a penalty, lol.
Say you take off 20% of our penalties because of bad calls. That still leaves us at 20 a night, still leading the league.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 12:13 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

id say only like 2 penalties so far this year have been blatantly BAD calls.....and another 4 or 5 have been questionable. so if you take away half the questionable calls, and the 2 penalties that were bogus, youre still left with an unacceptable amount.

and its not like they are taking aggression penalties....penalties like what Newbury took for Richards getting hit im ok with. its the hooking and tripping and interference calls (im looking at you Erixon!) that bug the hell outta me.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 12:22 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
Say you take off 20% of our penalties because of bad calls. That still leaves us at 20 a night, still leading the league.
Hence, why I said "there's no question were still taking too many penalties."

But just to point out, you're using total PM which includes fights. Your post implies that were shorthanded for 25 minutes per night, lol. And yes were leading the league but it's also the smallest sample size as we've played the fewest games in the league. Well be fine.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 12:32 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
id say only like 2 penalties so far this year have been blatantly BAD calls.....and another 4 or 5 have been questionable. so if you take away half the questionable calls, and the 2 penalties that were bogus, youre still left with an unacceptable amount.

and its not like they are taking aggression penalties....penalties like what Newbury took for Richards getting hit im ok with. its the hooking and tripping and interference calls (im looking at you Erixon!) that bug the hell outta me.
Besides being a rookie dman, Erixon hasn't had a penalty in the last 2 games...considering these are his first 5 games on the big ice surface his line in 5 games looks pretty good to me...3 penalties in 5 games and +2 is pretty good in my book and after averaging around 13 minutes the first 2 games, he has averaged around 17 minutes the last 3 games.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 12:37 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

McD was terrible yesterday for the most part so im not going to vote for him, but the OT winner, and the smarts to go down low with time running out was very nice. Kid is going to be something special.

Nice to see Erixon getting votes, he had his best game of the season and i still can't believe how fast he adjusted to the NHL and how much of improvement he's been in such a short amount of time compared to how he played in the preseason (TERRIBLE).

Gaborik gets my vote, Lundqvist 2nd.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 12:44 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
Hence, why I said "there's no question were still taking too many penalties."

But just to point out, you're using total PM which includes fights. Your post implies that were shorthanded for 25 minutes per night, lol. And yes were leading the league but it's also the smallest sample size as we've played the fewest games in the league. Well be fine.
I didn't mean shorthanded for 25 minutes a night, sorry if it came out that way.

Let's look at PP-PK time. Last year we finished 3rd in the league with 69:00.

This year we are 30th with -24:45 just 5 games into the season. For comparison's sake, TBL is next with -15:56.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 12:51 PM
JeffMangum
mfw Flyers D

vCash: 300
It hasn't been mentioned, but Christensen had a very solid defensive game last night, IMO. One of his better games as a Ranger.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 12:53 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
It hasn't been mentioned, but Christensen had a very solid defensive game last night, IMO. One of his better games as a Ranger.
Yep. He battled and was strong on the puck. He looked good. His problem has always been his inability to consistently battle. When he does, he is effective. When he doesn't, he is a total non-factor.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 01:33 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
you change your name and avatar more than any other user in the history of the interwebs....do you know that?

Old
10-21-2011, 01:37 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post

The Redden:
- My DVR for stopping right as we took that delay of game penalty at the end of the 3rd
When recording games you need to make sure to record the programming that is slated to immediately follow the game, which in this case is the post game half an hour block... I also record the next block in line which last night was Boomer & Carton... The reason your DVR stopped recording is because it recorded the full 2 hours and 30 minutes of programming on the guide, but the game went over... Mine stopped as well but as soon as I started playing back the Post game, it picked up immediately where it left off.... Any games that go to OT and also to the shoot-out, will carry over into the time slots for the other programming, so it's always better to be safe than sorry... I've been recording games over the past 4 years and have been burned before so I'm always extra careful to record the additional time slots...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 01:42 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
When recording games you need to make sure to record the programming that is slated to immediately follow the game, which in this case is the post game half an hour block... I also record the next block in line which last night was Boomer & Carton... The reason your DVR stopped recording is because it recorded the full 2 hours and 30 minutes of programming on the guide, but the game went over... Mine stopped as well but as soon as I started playing back the Post game, it picked up immediately where it left off.... Any games that go to OT and also to the shoot-out, will carry over into the time slots for the other programming, so it's always better to be safe than sorry... I've been recording games over the past 4 years and have been burned before so I'm always extra careful to record the additional time slots...
yep, and living out of town i have to check to make sure there isnt a game on VS or NHLN...if there is, i record both feeds because i can never be sure which one will record...usually its the VS or NHLN feed, but occasionally it wasnt and i got screwed.

Old
10-21-2011, 01:48 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
yep, and living out of town i have to check to make sure there isnt a game on VS or NHLN...if there is, i record both feeds because i can never be sure which one will record...usually its the VS or NHLN feed, but occasionally it wasnt and i got screwed.
DirecTV's DVR prompts you that what you are planning to record is a Live Event and asks if you want to add an extension...

Old
10-21-2011, 01:52 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
DirecTV's DVR prompts you that what you are planning to record is a Live Event and asks if you want to add an extension...
yep, i never do...i just record the next few shows after it. im paranoid..ill usually record the game, the pregame, the post game, and the 2 or 3 shows directly after that...and if there are multiple feeds, ill record whatever i can find

Old
10-21-2011, 01:54 PM
kovazub94
Enigmatic

Quote:
I modified my series setting for the Rangers games to always record extra half hour (regular season) - probably easier solution unless your DVR can't do this.

kovazub94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 01:58 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Yeah, rookie mistake to not pad a live sporting event at least 30 minutes beyond the "scheduled" end. For post season games I add 2 hours. lol

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 01:59 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Redden: Sam's disbelief in the Calgary crowd. Mention it a few times, but not EVERY SINGLE TIME Erixon touches the puck.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 01:59 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
yep, i never do...i just record the next few shows after it. im paranoid..ill usually record the game, the pregame, the post game, and the 2 or 3 shows directly after that...and if there are multiple feeds, ill record whatever i can find
I didn't purchase the Sports Package, only CI, so no need for me to record the pre and post.

Old
10-21-2011, 02:39 PM
free0717

Quote:
I always set my vcr another 20 minutes to 2 hours and 50 minutes. You should lose the game.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 03:12 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

So apparently the team ran into the preds as they were checking out of the hotel - how much you wanna bet Slats tried to chloroform Weber on his way out?

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 03:17 PM
darko

That was Hank's 36th consecutive start.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 03:18 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
I always set my vcr another 20 minutes to 2 hours and 50 minutes. You should lose the game.
You should set it for longer than that because if there are fights and/or a lot of goals scored, and the games goes into a shoot-out, you run the risk of missing a portion of the game...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 04:25 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
it's spelled DVR.

noob.