HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What moves do you think need to be made to put the Kings over the top?

Old
10-21-2011, 04:12 AM
FriendsForever

vCash: 500
What moves do you think need to be made to put the Kings over the top?

I'm not talking about big splashy moves like Parise or Semin. I'm talking about role players/depth moves.

One move I think the Kings definately have to make this year is to find a gritty winger w/ fringe 2nd line skill to play alongside Stoll. Wayne Simmonds type. If they can improve the depth this way I can imagine the Kings rolling out all 4 lines and just wearing down opponents.

Also try to get a young defensive defenseman. Mitchell is 34 and Scuderi is 33. Lots of offensive leaning dman in the org, not nearly enough defensive ones. I hope DL is thinking long term and will be proactive here.

FriendsForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 07:47 AM
Capn Brown

If you're not talking about Parise, then the guy in question is Clutterbuck.

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 08:05 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendsForever View Post
Kings talent and skill have been overrated on HF. I don't know why Kings fans hate Terry Murray, his style of play basically allowed the Kings to overacheive.
Why a gritty winger w/ fringe 2nd line skill to play alongside Stoll ?

According to you, this whole team needs to be replaced.

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:29 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
The Kings already made their depth moves, they signed Moreau and Hunter.

I'm sure the Kings will look to make a trade at the trade deadline, but I wouldn't expect anything before then.

The Kings bottom 6 are fine, they will grow with each other and improve. Richardson and Clifford are already a "fringe" 2nd liner. One is on the 3rd and the other is on the 4th. Moreau leads all Kings forwards in hits.

Defensive defensemen usually peak in their 30's, I'm not worried about Scuderi and Mitchell.

Sydor25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:41 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendsForever View Post
I'm not talking about big splashy moves like Parise or Semin. I'm talking about role players/depth moves.

One move I think the Kings definately have to make this year is to find a gritty winger w/ fringe 2nd line skill to play alongside Stoll. Wayne Simmonds type. If they can improve the depth this way I can imagine the Kings rolling out all 4 lines and just wearing down opponents.

Also try to get a young defensive defenseman. Mitchell is 34 and Scuderi is 33. Lots of offensive leaning dman in the org, not nearly enough defensive ones. I hope DL is thinking long term and will be proactive here.
We don't need to do much....now.

A lot can change between now and the playoffs, ask Kopitar's ankle.

That said, I think we will go out and get a goalscoring winger, even if it just someone to play on the third line as insurance incase of an injury to the top two lines (like Chad Larose, Ruslan Fedotenko for example), or they might go and get someone who can play on the top two lines (Jeoffrey Lupul or Ales Hemsky) and bump someone down. I doubt they go after a Parise type, just can't see Dean giving those kind of assets for a rental player and if NJ signs him long-term he obviously won't be traded.

Other than some secondary scoring for depth purposes, the only other thing I could see the Kings doing is picking up a depth physical D-man in case of injury, like Niklas Grossman, Milan Jurcina or Shane O'Brien. As has been said before, the Kings defense is great, but it's one weakness could be to much finesse, not enough physical strength beyond Matt Greene and Willie Mitchell. But they won't get someone that can't be had for a draft pick, likely no higher than a 2nd, as this person would likely be a UFA rental and be for depth only. Even then, they might just stay with Drewiske and say the heck with it.

I can honestly see them doing nothing as well, but likely they will add a goalscorer at the deadline.

As for the D-men, Muzzin will come up to replace one of Scuds or Mitchell, and we can always UFA sign someone else. Mitchell and Scuds together makes over $7 million, that's plenty of coin to sign one guy and promote Muzzin.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 09:42 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
The Kings already made their depth moves, they signed Moreau and Hunter.

I'm sure the Kings will look to make a trade at the trade deadline, but I wouldn't expect anything before then.

The Kings bottom 6 are fine, they will grow with each other and improve. Richardson and Clifford are already a "fringe" 2nd liner. One is on the 3rd and the other is on the 4th. Moreau leads all Kings forwards in hits.

Defensive defensemen usually peak in their 30's, I'm not worried about Scuderi and Mitchell.
I've seen little indication of that yet. The playoffs were nice, but that was all of 6 games.

Old
10-21-2011, 10:13 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Parise. Otherwise I dunno what else to say. The Kings have solid goaltending, defense, and depth. The only question mark is will their top 6, finally being completely established, hold up? Can't really answer that now, but Parise, or a similar offensive forward, would certainly "put us over the top" and take away all remaining question marks on paper.

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Telos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 11:01 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Another top flight winger just because you can never have too much talent

Overall, the only place i see the Kings lacking, is top level Defensive dman prospects. I imagine 1 of Hickey/Voynov will be traded for a defensive dman of similar caliber, since Forbort is still a long way from the NHL

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 11:03 AM
funky

Parise or Iginla

Iginla at the deadline would be my choice. The dude is a gritty powerful beast with speed. He has 1 year left after this. With Penner and Stoll comming of the books I would love to see him on the team.

or

Parise next UFA, but I know our UFA history and I think Iginla is more realistic

Honorable mention

Hanzal - big 3rd line elite shutdown center signed long term. In our division with the other big centers it allows Kopitar and Richards to concentrate on scoring while he helps shut the door

funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 12:22 PM
KBA4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by funky View Post
Parise or Iginla

Iginla at the deadline would be my choice. The dude is a gritty powerful beast with speed. He has 1 year left after this. With Penner and Stoll comming of the books I would love to see him on the team.

or

Parise next UFA, but I know our UFA history and I think Iginla is more realistic

Honorable mention

Hanzal - big 3rd line elite shutdown center signed long term. In our division with the other big centers it allows Kopitar and Richards to concentrate on scoring while he helps shut the door
I like these. Iginla would push Brown to the 3rd line or move him to LW where I feel he's more productive anyway. Penner would probably just be dumped if this were to happen. Iginla still has it (40+ goals last year on a crap-ish team)...who knows what the return would be though.

I think DL is going to have a relatively short leash on Penner. If he's not producing then there's no way management is going to continue trotting him out there like last year...DL has worked too hard (and been excruciatingly patient) building this team into a contender, he's not going to let a slug like Penner screw it up

KBA4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 12:32 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

I think Iggy won't ask to be dealt this season, and I doubt Feaster even looks at moving him unless he asks. Only way there's not a riot in Calgary over him being traded is if he asks to be moved.

I think Iggy asks to be moved next year. It's his final contract year and if he wants a cup he'll likely be weighing his options at that point anyway, and at least then Calgary can still get something good for him.

Old
10-21-2011, 12:52 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Their best move right now? Patience.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 12:58 PM
SLang

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
Another top flight winger just because you can never have too much talent

Overall, the only place i see the Kings lacking, is top level Defensive dman prospects. I imagine 1 of Hickey/Voynov will be traded for a defensive dman of similar caliber, since Forbort is still a long way from the NHL
Wouldn't we all agree that in terms of ease of trade, a top-flight defensive defenseman should be the easiest one to make happen? I mean, is that a real problem? I'm not saying they're a dime a dozen - I'm saying it's easier to get an opposing GM to let go of one of those as opposed to, say, a Parise.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 01:25 PM
HYORI 1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Agreed 100%

HYORI 1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 01:30 PM
null33

Quote:
Yeah.

But CLUTTERBUCK!

null33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 01:36 PM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
Parise obviously, but other than 3rd line RW. Clutterbuck would be amazing, but I seriously doubt they'd move him.

Cook24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 01:36 PM
Stupid Sexy Flanders

Quote:
There's one guy for whom patience will wear out fast: Penner.

He played a *little* better last night, but needs to play *much* better. You gotta think Richie & Brown are pretty tired of playing with this floater.

I imagine Dean will try to package him with Drewiske and see what he can get. Antropov? (Penner being from Mantioba...)

Stupid Sexy Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 01:55 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Sexy Flanders View Post

He played a *little* better last night, but needs to play *much* better. You gotta think Richie & Brown are pretty tired of playing with this floater.

I imagine Dean will try to package him with Drewiske and see what he can get. Antropov? (Penner being from Mantioba...)
Dude, chill out. Penner made a concerted effort to hustle at both ends of the rink each of the last two games. He played just fine. You might want to step off the ledge as far as Penner is concerned.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 02:13 PM
bobafettish*

we have no cap room. unless someone is dumb enough to claim Penner.

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 02:23 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:

You don't think Penner sees the writing on the wall?

He is playing for his next contract this season and was a little dinged up at the beginning of the season (at least in his mind), so I am willing to see how this plays out. Besides I am looking forward to watching Mike Richards get Penner going the way he has Brown. Two goals for Brown on jams from passes supplied by Richards. I don't think that is a coincidence. Richards sees guys that are struggling a little offensively and tries to make good things happen for them. I bet Penner is next on his list of things to do.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 02:23 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:

Who says we want him?

Old
10-21-2011, 02:29 PM
verbalkint47

We might not have to make any moves for the team to be upgraded. If Hunter can gain health/confidence and play like he's capable of playing, IMO he's the perfect 3rd line RW for this team. It is a pretty big if though.

Gagne - Kopitar -Williams
Penner - Richards - Brown
Richardson - Stoll - Hunter
Clifford - Lewis - Moreau

verbalkint47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 02:31 PM
King RAZZ
Los Cucarachas

A new PP coach would be nice...

King RAZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 02:37 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZZIE King View Post
A new PP coach would be nice...
Can you just stop already? The power play looked drastically better these first 6 games than it did all of last season. There is so much more movement and they are generating so many more chances. If they average scoring one power play goal per game, they will be in the upper echelon as far as power play percentages go.

EDIT: Last season, Vancouver scored 72 power play goals in 82 game to lead the league. They also converted 24.4% of their power plays. The Kings scored 47 goals in 82 games on the power play last season. As of right now, they are on pace for 82 power play goals (and 25% efficiency) this season. I don't expect that pace to continue, but I worry for you if you don't see the difference in the power play between this season and last.

Last edited by Chazz Reinhold: 10-21-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 02:41 PM
rajuabju
The One & Only

Iginla, Clutterbuck or Parise would be amazing, but very unlikely to happen for different reasons.

What about... Daniel Alfredsson. Yes, I know he's 38 going on 39, but still, maybe Ottawa considers moving him to give him a shot at winning a cup since I think the Sens are going no where this year. I believe he has 1 more year on his contract, so the cap hit would hurt, but we might be able to get him for not much more than a pick or mid-level prospect if the Sens want to salary dump.

rajuabju is offline   Reply With Quote